PDA

View Full Version : Opening game roster?

JeffDuncan
10-20-2015, 10:59 AM
How's it looking at this point? Your own projections are... ? I mean, who do you think the Spurs will take to OKC for the first season game?

To me, it's looking like...

First unit:
1. Ctr, Aldridge
1. PF, Duncan
1. SF, Leonard
1. SG, Green
1. PG, Parker

Second unit:
2. Ctr, Diaw
2. PF, West
2. SF, Anderson
2. SG, Ginobili
2. PG, Mills

Third unit:
3. Ctr, Boban
3. PF, Bonner
3. SF, Butler ?? / Simmons ??
3. SG, (open)
3. PG, McCallum

I'm thinking they may leave a bench spot open, in hopes of picking up a shooting guard. That seems to be the practice over the last few years anyway, to leave a spot open, that they could use to fill a need..

The positions aren't hard and fast. For example, Aldridge isn't really a "center," he's a 2nd Power Forward. But Tim has been getting the "4" play calls for so long, they won't change that. Everybody on the team has been trained for years that when they hear "4" it's Duncan. So, Aldridge gets the "5" play calls.

Butler may be getting a little old, but I like him better than the others I've seen.

Anyway, how's it look?

Chinook
10-20-2015, 11:09 AM
There's no point in "leaving a spot open" when they can just waive a player if they want to pick someone up. That's even more true when there are 15 player with guaranteed money on the roster.

SAGirl
10-20-2015, 01:44 PM
Third unit:
3. Ctr, Boban
3. PF, Bonner
3. SF, Butler ?? / Simmons ??
3. SG, (open)
3. PG, McCallum

For reference, Simmons has always been subbed at SG during preseason, and its also what he played in SL, so what you are leaving open there in that third crew is Simmons' spot. Although if there are injuries and what not he can play any of the two wing spots, in an ideal situation (none of the regular wings are injured), he'll just back Manu up if he's resting, or its a blow out.

Simmons has disappointed though, and I am not assuming he's safe from getting cut. What is concerning about him is that he has been reluctant to shoot and has not been making the jumpshots he does take, and has been too TO prone, making way too many silly mistakes, between traveling calls, a carry, dribbling out of control into the paint, getting the ball picked, and also sometimes passing to guys that are not open. He's been so mistake-riddled that it has severely negated the benefit of his court vision and passing. Quite simple, he can't take advantage of his court vision and passing, because he is lacking in ballhandling skills at the NBA level. Is that something he can improve on, when he's 26 and has already been in the D'league 2 years? I don't know. It's probably what the staff is wondering to themselves.

I personally prefer him to Reggie, but Pop and the staff continue to give minutes to Reggie Williams, who is competing for the same position.

Anyways, I think you are on the right track. I think those 15 are the ones who finally do make it, specially if you take Rasual Butler who has been hitting the 3 as well, thus making Reggie redundant.

kobyz
10-21-2015, 12:24 AM
We need a trade and fast, we need to trade for pj tucker!

Gladney to see you
10-21-2015, 07:17 AM
Are we making cuts before the last game?

sasaint
10-21-2015, 09:48 AM
We need a trade and fast, we need to trade for pj tucker!

It takes two to make a trade. Who do you think the Spurs are willing to part with that any other team wants to take on? I do not see the Spurs trading any of their top ten for the likes of PJ Tucker. Besides that "trade" is not a big part of the Spurs' vocabulary. I think they are more likely to add a free agent before the trade deadline than make a trade now.

kobyz
10-21-2015, 10:49 AM
It takes two to make a trade. Who do you think the Spurs are willing to part with that any other team wants to take on? I do not see the Spurs trading any of their top ten for the likes of PJ Tucker. Besides that "trade" is not a big part of the Spurs' vocabulary. I think they are more likely to add a free agent before the trade deadline than make a trade now.
Maybe slowmo and draft picks... spurs doesn't have enough on the wings at all...

SAGirl
10-21-2015, 01:24 PM
Maybe slowmo and draft picks... spurs doesn't have enough on the wings at all...
I don't think they will want to trade slowmo at all.

JeffDuncan
10-21-2015, 03:04 PM
... Simmons has disappointed though, and I am not assuming he's safe from getting cut. What is concerning about him is that he has been reluctant to shoot and has not been making the jumpshots he does take, and has been too TO prone, making way too many silly mistakes, between traveling calls, a carry, dribbling out of control into the paint, getting the ball picked, and also sometimes passing to guys that are not open. ...

I agree about Simmons. It seems the first thing Simmons does when he comes into the game is to throw the ball away. He has some skills and athleticism, but those turnovers are ruining him.

At Austin last year, in 6 games, playing just over 30 minutes per game, he shot over 50%. The basic shooting ability is there. He made 34 of 66.

Also, at Austin Simmons had a lower turnover average than Kyle Anderson. Simmons averaged less than 1 turnover every 10 minutes.

Maybe the coaches, and especially the other players, can get Simmons going. Hope so.

JeffDuncan
10-21-2015, 03:07 PM

Right, no chance they'll trade Kyle. At last not for the amount another team would be likely to offer.

JeffDuncan
10-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Are we making cuts before the last game?

Yep, already announced.

kobyz
10-21-2015, 03:13 PM

We need to look only about the present, not on some future project, it's Duncan last year...

SAGirl
10-21-2015, 03:39 PM
We need to look only about the present, not on some future project, it's Duncan last year...
He's not likely to net you anyone that would be significantly better or a better fit. The Spurs will roll with what they have. The guys who got paid have to get it together and not expect some saviour. If they are still struggling by midseason, then something more drastic can be considered. The team needs playmakers and slowmo is a good one. He might be the better one after Tony and Manu, as far as perimeter players go.

sasaint
10-21-2015, 05:11 PM

Nope. The Spurs want him as a rotation player for this year and possibly next, and possibly a starter thereafter - a major contributor, at any rate. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't understand all the animosity toward Kyle in this forum, but I do not agree with it. I think his detractors cannot see beyond his lack of "athleticism" to see all of the assets that he has that are clearly recognized and valued by PATFO. The Spurs would only part with Kyle in some big blockbuster deal. As we know, that is simply not going to happen with the Spurs.

BD24
10-21-2015, 06:06 PM
I'll update you when I hear something from my sources. Those niggas are supposed to be calling me soon.

Splits
10-21-2015, 06:14 PM
I'll update you when I hear something from my sources. Those niggas are supposed to be calling me soon.

Check your PM, just heard from Deepthroat IV

tholdren
10-21-2015, 06:23 PM
Why did sa give jimmer $ if the were going to waive

Kikoluna
10-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Tony should be in 2nd unit. Patty on 1st.

ceperez
10-21-2015, 07:43 PM

The deal may have only been guaranteed if he made it through preseason.

ceperez
10-21-2015, 07:45 PM
First unit:
1. Ctr, Aldridge
1. PF, Duncan
1. SF, Leonard
1. SG, Green
1. PG, Parker

Second unit:
2. Ctr, Diaw
2. PF, West
2. SF, Anderson
2. SG, Ginobili
2. PG, Mills

Third unit:
3. Ctr, Boban
3. PF, Bonner
3. SF, Butler
3. SG, Simmons
3. PG, McCallum

Williams played instead of Butler, but my guess it is because he's a SG and just fills the slot the Mills otherwise would play in.

I have no explanation why Butler didn't play though. In fact, he's barely played in the last two games. I think the PATFO has zero patience for old guys who have lost a step. Just ask Robert Horry and Bruce Bowen.

spurs10
10-21-2015, 07:55 PM
First unit:
1. Ctr, Aldridge
1. PF, Duncan
1. SF, Leonard
1. SG, Green
1. PG, Parker

Second unit:
2. Ctr, Diaw
2. PF, West
2. SF, Anderson
2. SG, Ginobili
2. PG, Mills

Third unit:
3. Ctr, Boban
3. PF, Bonner
3. SF, Butler
3. SG, Simmons
3. PG, McCallum

Williams played instead of Butler, but my guess it is because he's a SG and just fills the slot the Mills otherwise would play in.

I have no explanation why Butler didn't play though. In fact, he's barely played in the last two games. I think the PATFO has zero patience for old guys who have lost a step. Just ask Robert Horry and Bruce Bowen. Looks about right...we still have the Butler, Williams, and /or Simmons issue to sort...so we'll know soon.

tholdren
10-21-2015, 08:20 PM
That looks like a shit ton of jumpers

TimDunkem
10-21-2015, 08:28 PM
Parker, Mills, McCallum
Green, Ginobili, Simmons
Leonard, Anderson, Butler
Aldridge, Diaw, Bonner
Duncan, West, Marjanovic

Pretty obvious.

ceperez
10-21-2015, 08:46 PM
Looks about right...we still have the Butler, Williams, and /or Simmons issue to sort...so we'll know soon.

Simmons is a lock.

I prefer Spurs find someone younger than Butler. The Suns game exposed how slow the Spurs are in general.

JeffDuncan
10-22-2015, 05:10 PM

Because private charity is better than government handouts. We wouldn't want Jimmer on welfare and food stamps, would we?

Kawhi 5-0
10-23-2015, 12:23 AM
Pop will rest Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, and Aldridge for opener.

The starting lineup:
Boban
Bonner
Butler
Bobo
Slo-Mo

JeffDuncan
10-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Pop will rest Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, and Aldridge for opener.

The starting lineup:
Boban
Bonner
Butler
Bobo
Slo-Mo

Y'know, if we go back to Slo-mo's earlier moniker, that lineup would be.....

Boban
Bonner
Butler
Bobo
Balloon head.

All B's.

Anyway, looks like Reggie Williams is waived, so the situation continues to clarify.

Kawhi 5-0
10-26-2015, 08:52 AM
Y'know, if we go back to Slo-mo's earlier moniker, that lineup would be.....

Boban
Bonner
Butler
Bobo
Balloon head.

All B's.

Anyway, looks like Reggie Williams is waived, so the situation continues to clarify.

Yeah, I was trying to make it all Bs, but couldn't quite get there. Went for the 2nd best of having the last two guys rhyme. Thanks for the help!

UNT Eagles 2016
10-26-2015, 09:52 AM
Starters:

- Parker
- Green
- Leonard
- Duncan
- Aldridge

Bench rotation:

- Mills (PG)
- Ginobili (SG/SF)
- West or Diaw (PF)
- Marjanovic (C)
- Butler (SF/SG)

- Anderson (SF/SG/PG)
- Bonner (PF/C)

that's 13 guys, Simmons and McCallum will start on the injured list... perhaps McCallum over Bonner on some nights? But you know Pop will want to keep Bonner active against OKC.

JeffDuncan
10-26-2015, 10:50 AM
I think they'll want McCallum available all the time. Parker and Mills both have that recent history of injury.

I want Bonner around long enough to see if he can make the 3 at a respectable rate. If not, maybe the team can trade him to HEB for store credit.

Splits
10-26-2015, 06:19 PM

ElNono
10-26-2015, 07:07 PM

Bonner over Boban... IT BEGINS :lol

SAGirl
10-26-2015, 11:49 PM
Bonner over Boban... IT BEGINS :lol
lol
Bonner better be ready to hit at least a 3 or two.

urunobili
10-26-2015, 11:55 PM
OKC frontline is the best in the league with Ibaka Adams and Kanter plus Durant

Ice009
10-26-2015, 11:58 PM
For fucks sake. I wish I didn't read this thread. Bonner already getting in over guys after not showing anything during the whole preseason to earn a rotation spot over them.

Edit : Not just in this single preseason, he didn't show much the whole of last season either. I guess Pop wants a players out there that are familiar with the system, but man, it's hard to justify Bonner getting on the regular roster after he didn't show much in the preseason.

The Whopper
10-27-2015, 12:24 AM
I like this team. I like this roster. I like our chances this year.

Bedwetter millennial faggots that haunt this place please continue finger fucking each other's assholes over nothing.

playbonner15
10-27-2015, 02:06 AM
lol

For fucks sake. I wish I didn't read this thread. Bonner already getting in over guys after not showing anything during the whole preseason to earn a rotation spot over them.

Edit : Not just in this single preseason, he didn't show much the whole of last season either. I guess Pop wants a players out there that are familiar with the system, but man, it's hard to justify Bonner getting on the regular roster after he didn't show much in the preseason.
Red Mamba time!!! :bobo

BillMc
10-27-2015, 02:10 AM

Not surprising if it happens. Bonner is useful against Ibaka even if he doesn't make a shot.

Against most teams, however, I'd expect Boban active and Bonner on the bench.

SpurPadre
10-27-2015, 02:49 AM
lol

In the regular season, in October? Yeah, it's possible. As long as he doesn't attempt them in late April. Don't get me wrong, though, I want him gone for good but that will never be in the cards.

spurs10
10-27-2015, 02:53 AM
Didn't Pop put Bonner in the starting line-up against OKC to spread the floor in 2014? Bonner never made a shot, but they couldn't leave him open so it worked.

spurs10
10-27-2015, 02:55 AM
Not surprising if it happens. Bonner is useful against Ibaka even if he doesn't make a shot.

Against most teams, however, I'd expect Boban active and Bonner on the bench. Yeah Bill, I didn't see this. That's what I was referring to.

SpurPadre
10-27-2015, 03:02 AM
Didn't Pop put Bonner in the starting line-up against OKC to spread the floor in 2014? Bonner never made a shot, but they couldn't leave him open so it worked.

Diaw getting more minutes when that happened was a bigger factor than Ginger starting but besides that, we already have LMA and West to spread the floor against OKC.

SAGirl
10-27-2015, 02:33 PM

Against most teams, however, I'd expect Boban active and Bonner on the bench.

This is my problem with Bonner. He has to make a shot or two, particularly bc he's not a volume shooter. At some point, teams will just sag off him and dare the Spurs to beat them that way. It happened in some games last year, and guess what? We didn't beat them that way.

JeffDuncan
10-27-2015, 04:13 PM
Since people are talking about Bonner, thought I'd mention, the new OKC head coach, Billy Donovan, was Bonner's head coach at the U of Florida.

silverblackfan
10-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Since people are talking about Bonner, thought I'd mention, the new OKC head coach, Billy Donovan, was Bonner's head coach at the U of Florida.
Oh. That makes sense. Pop plays Bonner so that he can see his old coach while in uniform. Honestly, Bonner bugs Ibaka a bit with his physical play and outside range. Why show OKC what possibilities Boban brings anyway?