PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Waive Ndoye, Thomas, Sykes, Fredette

BatManu20
10-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Add Jimmer to that.

SAGirl
10-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Thomas was expected, and Ndoye was probably headed for Austin anyways. I expected to see a couple other guys.

Chinook
10-21-2015, 10:18 AM
The question is if Thomas will stay in the US or if he will go back to Europe. He could have a nice career over there. And if keeping his rights wasn't enough for the Spurs to give him a chance, nothing will be.

Blizzardwizard
10-21-2015, 10:18 AM
Jimmer :lol

86 pages on a guy who couldn't even get any minutes in the preseason :lol

NASpurs
10-21-2015, 10:19 AM
:lmao RIP Jimmer

BatManu20
10-21-2015, 10:21 AM
One of the mods add Jimmer to the thread title. Can't change it on my phone.

Chinook
10-21-2015, 10:22 AM
I do wonder if the Spurs held Ndoye out on purpose to keep other teams from signing him. If I were a camp guy, I'd play at all costs.

Robz4000
10-21-2015, 10:24 AM

:rollin

Dex
10-21-2015, 10:31 AM
Expected move...at least for anyone who can actually rate basketball talent. Suck the Spurs had to cough up half a mill just to give Jimmer a glorified tryout, but...not coming out of my bank account, so WGAF.

Bodes well that Butler will make the team, with Williams being the long shot. Reggie has played well in recent preseason stints, but I still think its pretty obvious that Butler is more game ready and more of a known commodity.

ceperez
10-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Thomas was expected, and Ndoye was probably headed for Austin anyways. I expected to see a couple other guys.

So with Jimmer gone, there's an open 15th spot.

random21
10-21-2015, 10:33 AM

Peeps getting wet all over this scrub

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-21-2015, 10:43 AM
So with Jimmer gone, there's an open 15th spot.

Pretty much. Probably has to with Simmons horrible play IMO. It basically means that Butler or Williams will be making the team. More than likely Butler. It is very noticeable that Simmons is not ready to be a regular rotation player. So this means that Butler will jump in the rotation and more than likely be Kawhi's backup.

Jimmer has a way's to go to perfect his game. It's more of necessity that the Spurs get a know commodity at the SF/SG, even if it is the 36 yo Butler. Who is world's ahead of Simmons at this point.

ceperez
10-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Expected move...at least for anyone who can actually rate basketball talent. Suck the Spurs had to cough up half a mill just to give Jimmer a glorified tryout, but...not coming out of my bank account, so WGAF.

Bodes well that Butler will make the team, with Williams being the long shot. Reggie has played well in recent preseason stints, but I still think its pretty obvious that Butler is more game ready and more of a known commodity.

Pop however said the last 3 preseason games will feature more of the regular season rotation. Butler was surprisingly absent yesterday.

With Diaw playing, you realize that Butler is redundant.

I suspect that the 15 slot will remain open. Typical Spurs M.O.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-21-2015, 10:52 AM
Pop however said the last 3 preseason games will feature more of the regular season rotation. Butler was surprisingly absent yesterday.

I don't see Pop giving any minutes to Simmons at this point. He has a lot he needs to work on. Williams is just a space filler. Butler is a proven scorer and defender in this league. I expect for him to make the team over Williams.

spursistan
10-21-2015, 10:57 AM
Expected..i do hope now Pop treats the Rockets game as regular season game with regular rotation..We need to see how we stack up with few starters playing +30 mins..

apalisoc_9
10-21-2015, 11:05 AM
As per my source, three players were going to get cut first...

dabom
10-21-2015, 11:07 AM
Apol always on point. :bobo

hater
10-21-2015, 11:07 AM
LOL jimmer

Russ
10-21-2015, 11:14 AM

The 4th player almost never gets cut before then.

spurraider21
10-21-2015, 11:15 AM
:cheer

ChumpDumper
10-21-2015, 11:41 AM
As per my source, three players were going to get cut first...You were wrong.

Live with it.

BillMc
10-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Hope Ndoye goes to Austin. He might be worth another look down the road.

Aztecfan03
10-21-2015, 11:48 AM
As per your "source" it was supposed to happen days ago. Fraud.

Brian Windhorst
10-21-2015, 11:52 AM
So now the question becomes, who out of Butler, Bonner, and Simmons looks worst in a suit?

Dex
10-21-2015, 12:06 PM

How so? Diaw is a passing stretch 4. Butler is a shooting and slashing 3. He can play PF in a pinch against smaller rotations, but I would say it's not really his natural position.

Diaw will be part of the big rotation...Duncan/Aldridge/Diaw/West/Boban/Bonner.

Butler would fit into the wing rotation...Leonard/Green/Anderson/Ginobili/Simmons/Butler or Williams

With Simmons looking lost so far in preseason, that leaves Leonard and Anderson as the teams only reliable SFs...and calling Anderson reliable at this point is a stretch. If SloMo regresses or if either player misses significant time for rest or injury (something which Kawhi has shown a habit of doing), then the Spurs are going to need a player to plug in at that position, and Simmons doesn't look like the best option right now. In my opinion, that leaves the door pretty wide open for Butler to find a spot on this team.

ceperez
10-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Butler is a shooting and slashing 3.

Maybe when he was much younger.

kobyz
10-21-2015, 12:19 PM
Apol always on point. :bobo

Apalishit has the profile of a terrorist...

BillMc
10-21-2015, 12:52 PM
How so? Diaw is a passing stretch 4. Butler is a shooting and slashing 3. He can play PF in a pinch against smaller rotations, but I would say it's not really his natural position.

Butler would fit into the wing rotation...Leonard/Green/Anderson/Ginobili/Simmons/Butler or Williams

With Simmons looking lost so far in preseason, that leaves Leonard and Anderson as the teams only reliable SFs...and calling Anderson reliable at this point is a stretch. If SloMo regresses or if either player misses significant time for rest or injury (something which Kawhi has shown a habit of doing), then the Spurs are going to need a player to plug in at that position, and Simmons doesn't look like the best option right now. In my opinion, that leaves the door pretty wide open for Butler to find a spot on this team.

Well said.

SAGirl
10-21-2015, 01:20 PM
With all of these, I am confused at this point, TBH. How many spots are there and who is up for them. I think the main 10 rotation guys are clear and I have Anderson there as backup SF. He's likely to get better from here, not regress. He only just turned 22 and is a second year player, has the highest upside of all the other guys trying to make the team and he can really pass at an elite level. He'll play. Beyond that, everyone else is a crapshoot.
For the last 5 spots:
Boban
Butler
Ray
Bonner?
Simmons?
Williams?

TimDunkem
10-21-2015, 01:25 PM

Ceperez's takes are the worst. lmao @ a stretch 4 making a 2/3 guard redundant. Wut?!

Lostwingman
10-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Ceperez's takes are the worst. lmao @ a stretch 4 making a 2/3 guard redundant. Wut?!

We big man team now.

NASpurs
10-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Don't forget about Sykes

http://www.nba.com/spurs/spurs-waive-fredette-ndoye-sykes-and-thomas
SAN ANTONIO (Oct. 21, 2015) - The San Antonio Spurs today announced that the team has waived Jimmer Fredette, Youssou Ndoye, Keifer Sykes and Deshaun Thomas.

San Antonio's training camp roster now stands at 16 players.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Don't forget about Sykes

http://www.nba.com/spurs/spurs-waive-fredette-ndoye-sykes-and-thomas
SAN ANTONIO (Oct. 21, 2015) - The San Antonio Spurs today announced that the team has waived Jimmer Fredette, Youssou Ndoye, Keifer Sykes and Deshaun Thomas.

San Antonio's training camp roster now stands at 16 players.Applesauce was even more wrong :wow

Kikoluna
10-21-2015, 06:24 PM
We didn't get rid of Tony?

ceperez
10-21-2015, 06:34 PM
With all of these, I am confused at this point, TBH. How many spots are there and who is up for them. I think the main 10 rotation guys are clear and I have Anderson there as backup SF. He's likely to get better from here, not regress. He only just turned 22 and is a second year player, has the highest upside of all the other guys trying to make the team and he can really pass at an elite level. He'll play. Beyond that, everyone else is a crapshoot.
For the last 5 spots:
Boban
Butler
Ray
Bonner?
Simmons?
Williams?

Simmons likely to stick.... Pop needs transition defense.
Curious that Butler did not play last night. Maybe at 36 he's just too slow.
Williams played, apparently the #15 spot is open with Fredette being waived.

Twisted_Dawg
10-21-2015, 08:01 PM

At least Holt is willing to risk some capital to try to improve the team unlike the cheap shit Red McCombs days, or early Holt when he made the front office jettison Jackie Butler having to throw in Scola as the sweetner.

Das Texan
10-21-2015, 09:25 PM
For the last 5 spots:
Boban
Butler
Ray
Bonner?
Simmons?
Williams?

I dont get why you have Butler making the team no doubt and Bonner and Simmons with ? next to them when they have guaranteed deals.

Makes no sense.

GSH
10-21-2015, 09:31 PM

Yo, Fuckhead... all of those guys were on the floor after you said they would be gone, with Kawhi who your source said wouldn't re-sign. The only thing you got right was - none of it.

Hoops Czar
10-21-2015, 09:57 PM
For the last 5 spots:
Boban
Butler
Ray
Bonner?
Simmons?
Williams?

:lol Contemplating over what scrubs make the team. To think Simmons and Anderson blocked Gerald Green for the league minimum.

james evans
10-21-2015, 09:58 PM
SHIT!!!!! I just learned to shoot with Ferdette in 2k..

SAGirl
10-21-2015, 10:05 PM
I dont get why you have Butler making the team no doubt and Bonner and Simmons with ? next to them when they have guaranteed deals.

Makes no sense.
Its just my personal guess, but Butler has not made many mistakes. He's not a TO machine like Simmons, and has played relatively well the role they have given to him. Pop possibly didn't play him bc he's already seen everything he needed to see as it concerns him. He's played a lot at the 4, and you can take that however you want, but that is how they have used him. He could even possibly edge out Bonner, which is why I have Bonner in question marks. I am not predicting that he will, but Bonner has looked done, whereas Rasual while aged still has some game in him.

Simmons still has to make the team, Pop said so himself, even before Simmons strung together a record of horrible game appearances, and TO-riddled bad play. He hasn't made anything to solidify his spot. Williams is not much better either, but at least the man can shoot. That is why I personally have all 3 in question marks.

exstatic
10-21-2015, 10:54 PM
For the last 5 spots:
Boban
Butler
Ray
Bonner?
Simmons?
Williams?

If they keep 15, it comes down to Butler vs Williams. I hope they keep Butler, as Williams fucking stunk last year. He was easily the worst late season pickup by SA in 10 years.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2015, 11:15 PM
:lol Contemplating over what scrubs make the team. To think Simmons and Anderson blocked Gerald Green for the league minimum.What makes you think there was any interest between Gerald Green and the Spurs at any time?

Spurtacular
10-21-2015, 11:26 PM
Pretty much. Probably has to with Simmons horrible play IMO. It basically means that Butler or Williams will be making the team. More than likely Butler. It is very noticeable that Simmons is not ready to be a regular rotation player. So this means that Butler will jump in the rotation and more than likely be Kawhi's backup.

Jimmer has a way's to go to perfect his game. It's more of necessity that the Spurs get a know commodity at the SF/SG, even if it is the 36 yo Butler. Who is world's ahead of Simmons at this point.

Butler and Williams are nothing, tbh. Spurs made the wrong call.

Mal
10-22-2015, 02:29 AM

It`s 14 and 15 roster spot. Seriously, guys wont make any impact.

jermaine
10-22-2015, 05:53 AM
SHIT!!!!! I just learned to shoot with Ferdette in 2k..

You actually played with him on 2k!?! He never seen the court for me in 2k. I tried to play Ray, but he's trash. Now with all the cuts, I'll get to play with Anderson or Simmons. ��

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-22-2015, 07:21 AM

I beg to differ. If Simmons showed that he could play at an NBA level, there would be no need to keep Butler or Williams. But Simmons has been pretty awful this preseason besides a few good defensive outings. This pretty much meant the Spurs needed to get a reliable backup for Kawhi. Butler is a solid commodity when healthy.

Spurs already have Mills. Jimmer was just a project player to be develop. But after seeing Simmons showing, the Spurs just are not afforded that luxury right now. Simmons is still a project himself and probably will be seeing Austin the first couple of months this season.

That's just the way of things in the NBA.

ceperez
10-22-2015, 07:24 AM

My hunch is neither Butler or Williams will be signed and the 15th spot will remain open.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-22-2015, 07:45 AM
My hunch is neither Butler or Williams will be signed and the 15th spot will remain open.

Spurs need a reliable backup for Kawhi. Neither one of their contracts will more than likely not be guaranteed which means they will be able to cut them at anytime.

KA is more a situational backup SF at this point. If Kawhi goes down with another injury, the Spurs will need a reliable SF to start. I wouldn't want KA or Simmons to start at this point. Butler is more consistent than either one at this point.

Chinook
10-22-2015, 07:50 AM

They're already signed. Especially Williams.

SAGirl
10-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Spurs need a reliable backup for Kawhi. Neither one of their contracts will more than likely not be guaranteed which means they will be able to cut them at anytime.

KA is more a situational backup SF at this point. If Kawhi goes down with another injury, the Spurs will need a reliable SF to start. I wouldn't want KA or Simmons to start at this point. Butler is more consistent than either one at this point.
Not saying this is the way it will go, but I have to correct you some there. Rook Anderson did start for Kawhi when he was injured last year. I mean, sophomore Anderson is a much better player than rookie Anderson, so it is not out of the realm of possibilities that he could do it again. In those cases, Belinelli played more minutes though, and with a few exceptions Pop just played Anderson between 10-15 minutes split to start the game and the second half. Right now we dont have Belinelli though. You may stick Butler in there for 10-15 minutes, and it still may end up that Anderson gets the bulk of the SF minutes if Kawhi is injured.

This is all speculation of course. IMO Anderson is a much better player than Butler, but you do need a body out there who is going to give you some minutes if one of Kawhi or Anderson is injured. Butler could very well be it.

SAGirl
10-22-2015, 12:26 PM
Just one last observation, a lot of new sets involve side PnR between the big man and the wings. Butler does not fit these sets very well, as his ball handling is not very good for a PnR. Seeing things from this perspective, helps explains a whole lot. Why Pop didn't go out and get straight up shooters, but wanted guys who could handle the ball and make a play in the wings, also why Butler was played as 4 for the most part instead of a 3. If you look at things from this perspective, the best fit would be Williams.

james evans
10-22-2015, 12:38 PM
You actually played with him on 2k!?! He never seen the court for me in 2k. I tried to play Ray, but he's trash. Now with all the cuts, I'll get to play with Anderson or Simmons. ��
yeah I used him off the bench. When guys want to use OKC and double team/stack the paint, i'll bring him in occasionally to hit an open 3. He doesn't play much, but I use my whole team. No one player ever gets 20 pts.

Chinook
10-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Just one last observation, a lot of new sets involve side PnR between the big man and the wings. Butler does not fit these sets very well, as his ball handling is not very good for a PnR. Seeing things from this perspective, helps explains a whole lot. Why Pop didn't go out and get straight up shooters, but wanted guys who could handle the ball and make a play in the wings, also why Butler was played as 4 for the most part instead of a 3. If you look at things from this perspective, the best fit would be Williams.

Yeah. There's a financial reason to keep Butler over Reggie, but Williams seems to have had a better camp. Plus, Williams gives them more trade flexibility. I wouldn't be against either seeing major minutes tomorrow evening. Hell they could play together for stretches.