PDA

View Full Version : Are we going to stumble out of the gate record-wise, tbh?

spursistan
10-21-2015, 01:32 PM
Looks like there are some real issues that will take a bit of time for Pop and the team to iron out..Transition D, 3pt shooting, maximizing Aldridge, minimizing Parker etc...Here is Oct-Nov schedule: I'm already penciling the OKC opener as an L, but we could be throwing more games than anticipated despite what seems like a cushy stretch..though don't think it will be Heatles 9-9 start bad, but 12-6/11-7 isn't beyond us in the 1st 18 games ..

https://i.imgur.com/PWv0KB0.jpg

MVPCues
10-21-2015, 01:40 PM
12-6 sounds right to me.

dabom
10-21-2015, 01:41 PM
I think we will have the best record come end of the season.

TXstbobcat
10-21-2015, 01:42 PM
I will predict a 14 - 4 start for the spurs.

Proxy
10-21-2015, 01:47 PM
how about we just watch the games? they're right around the corner. let's stop acting like we know shit from the few preseason games where Pop was experimenting... goddammit, fucking spurs fans

spursistan
10-21-2015, 01:55 PM
how about we just watch the games? they're right around the corner. let's stop acting like we know shit from the few preseason games where Pop was experimenting... goddammit, fucking spurs fans
except that Pop himself expressed his concern AFTER experimenting in one of the above area mentioned (Transition D)..

Leetonidas
10-21-2015, 02:08 PM
I think we'll be fine. I don't think Pop will be playing Sykes, Simmons, Anderson, Boban, and McCallum big minutes in the second half of games once the season starts so I don't think there will be much of an issue. Only good teams Spurs play for awhile are OKC then Memphis later

Leetonidas
10-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Spurs actually have a cupcake schedule for the most part to start. Hopefully they can take advantage of it

Kawhi 5-0
10-22-2015, 02:24 AM
The preseason numbers look bad for the Spurs. Really bad. That said, other teams (even Cleveland) have stunk it up this preseason. Additionally, we lost several games by very small margins (one shot). This is a unique position for the Spurs...to be starting a new era. It's kinda like starting over, except you get LaMarcus Aldridge.

So I think we can generally chalk up the preseason as experimentation. Just as the rotation tightens for the playoffs, the roster gets trimmed down and we start for real. Biggest thing is to be smart in the preseason. Get the feel of competing back, but no crazy diving plays for loose balls.

So far so good.

One final thought:

My guess is Pop wants to keep the hype at a minimum post-acquisition (Aldridge). Surprise is a powerful element. Being an Air Force guy, Pop surely conjures multiple thoughts when someone says "under the radar". My guess is we haven't seen much yet. Obviously, our guys aren't going out there and throwing these preseason games, but the active mode starts with game #1. These have just been drills.

As trite as it sounds, most of our success or failure will depend on effort (or lack thereof). The important concepts have been expressed by the coaches to the players during training camp. We'll see how much they were paying attention. Aldridge is lucky to come into an organization which is returning an extensive core group of players to the floor. Likewise,the Spurs are lucky to have him. The dynamics will be a little different this year, but I know our guys can find a way to win. We'll see how much fire and focus they have.

Cheers,

Paul

BillMc
10-22-2015, 07:05 AM
The preseason numbers look bad for the Spurs. Really bad. That said, other teams (even Cleveland) have stunk it up this preseason. Additionally, we lost several games by very small margins (one shot). This is a unique position for the Spurs...to be starting a new era. It's kinda like starting over, except you get LaMarcus Aldridge.

So I think we can generally chalk up the preseason as experimentation. Just as the rotation tightens for the playoffs, the roster gets trimmed down and we start for real. Biggest thing is to be smart in the preseason. Get the feel of competing back, but no crazy diving plays for loose balls.

So far so good.

One final thought:

My guess is Pop wants to keep the hype at a minimum post-acquisition (Aldridge). Surprise is a powerful element. Being an Air Force guy, Pop surely conjures multiple thoughts when someone says "under the radar". My guess is we haven't seen much yet. Obviously, our guys aren't going out there and throwing these preseason games, but the active mode starts with game #1. These have just been drills.

As trite as it sounds, most of our success or failure will depend on effort (or lack thereof). The important concepts have been expressed by the coaches to the players during training camp. We'll see how much they were paying attention. Aldridge is lucky to come into an organization which is returning an extensive core group of players to the floor. Likewise,the Spurs are lucky to have him. The dynamics will be a little different this year, but I know our guys can find a way to win. We'll see how much fire and focus they have.

Cheers,

Paul
:toast

ceperez
10-22-2015, 07:27 AM
Best to work out issues very early in the season than late in the season.

I wouldn't mind seeing loses just as long as the team is working on improving their team game.

One problem is that we have Aldridge and West who are very good mid-range shooters but its a shot that statistically is a poor shot to take.

Old School 44
10-22-2015, 07:52 AM
I don't think so. I'm probably in the minority, but I think we beat OkC on opening night.

cd98
10-22-2015, 07:58 AM
Yes. I'm more worried about Parker then I have been in the past. I think this is going to be a worse year if he doesn't play less minutes. It's just that his backups can't run an offense.

ceperez
10-22-2015, 08:43 AM
Yes. I'm more worried about Parker then I have been in the past. I think this is going to be a worse year if he doesn't play less minutes. It's just that his backups can't run an offense.

Actually, Mills has shown that the offense runs smoothly when he's on the court. McCallum however has not impressed, but maybe it is just nerves.

Horse
10-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Looks like there are some real issues that will take a bit of time for Pop and the team to iron out..Transition D, 3pt shooting, maximizing Aldridge, minimizing Parker etc...Here is Oct-Nov schedule: I'm already penciling the OKC opener as an L, but we could be throwing more games than anticipated despite what seems like a cushy stretch..though don't think it will be Heatles 9-9 start bad, but 12-6/11-7 isn't beyond us in the 1st 18 games ..

https://i.imgur.com/PWv0KB0.jpg

Looks like the schedule may be helpful till they get it together. I see 3 maybe 4 teams that concern me in the ones you listed. We don't know what will get with okc rookie coach and Durant coming back. We usually win the opener.

Beaverfuzz
10-22-2015, 01:00 PM

What he said.

BillMc
10-22-2015, 01:15 PM
I got a high of 15-3 and low (barring major injuries) of 12-6.

spursistan
10-22-2015, 02:08 PM
an out of synch team tend to cough up more close games even against middling opposition..that Boston/Wizards even Kings away games aren't really gimmes this early..

silverblackfan
10-22-2015, 02:21 PM
:lol

tmtcsc
10-22-2015, 02:30 PM
As long as we win the last game of the season, I don't care. I expect that it may take some time to gel but I'm not sure if it will result in losses necessarily. However, I can GUARANTEE that certain people in this forum will absolutely freak out and start pushing panic buttons early.

z0sa
10-22-2015, 02:34 PM
:lol basing anything off the pre season

spursistan
10-22-2015, 02:39 PM
:lol basing anything off the pre season
basing it on Pop quotes among other things..in normal circumstances , the Spurs often start off slowishly and figure things out, let alone when we they have just retooled..

TXstbobcat
10-22-2015, 02:40 PM
As long as we win the last game of the season, I don't care. I expect that it may take some time to gel but I'm not sure if it will result in losses necessarily. However, I can GUARANTEE that certain people in this forum will absolutely freak out and start pushing panic buttons early.

On this forum all it takes is 1 or 2 losses to get a 30 page meltdown thread.

tmtcsc
10-22-2015, 02:52 PM
On this forum all it takes is 1 or 2 losses to get a 30 page meltdown thread.

http://yeahwhathesaid.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/agreed.gif

z0sa
10-22-2015, 02:59 PM
basing it on Pop quotes among other things..in normal circumstances , the Spurs often start off slowishly and figure things out, let alone when we they have just retooled..

This thread isn't about Pop quotes, it is about stumbling out of the gate because of Pop quotes.

It is a little premature to start hitting the panic button and claiming there's "real issues" in pre season, dude. Relax. Spurs are gonna be fine.
:toast

spurs10
10-22-2015, 04:50 PM
We have a very favorable schedule and I believe we will take care of business. 12- 4 13-3. I also don't think OKC is a given L.

Kidd K
10-23-2015, 04:23 AM
The Spurs' starting schedule there looks quite soft imo. I do think it will take them some time before they really start to put everything together properly, but if they end up with some shitty record like 10-8. . .the rest of the season is going to be an uphill battle. 2-3 years ago if we looked at that starting schedule, we'd pencil the Spurs in for 15-3 or so without too much concern.

Considering the new team composition though. . .13-5 is the hopeful number imo. Any better and I'll consider it fortunate and will be happy.

BillMc
10-23-2015, 04:54 AM
5 days until real spurs games again!!!

Fireball
10-23-2015, 05:16 AM
5 days until real spurs games again!!!

:flag:

benefactor
10-23-2015, 06:15 AM
Should be some fairly fantastic meltdowns when the Spurs start the year hovering around .500.

lefty20
10-23-2015, 06:24 AM
Additionally, we lost several games by very small margins (one shot).

This is actually concerning. When it first happened last year against Berlin, I thought it would be an isolated incident. But it just kept happening all fucking season long. At this point it's become a solid trend for the Spurs. Damn fools need to learn how to fucking close games.

CGD
10-23-2015, 06:38 AM
Only natural that there be an adjustment period. Wouldn't be upset if that's reflected early on

Kawhi 5-0
10-23-2015, 09:40 PM
This is actually concerning. When it first happened last year against Berlin, I thought it would be an isolated incident. But it just kept happening all fucking season long. At this point it's become a solid trend for the Spurs. Damn fools need to learn how to fucking close games.

Yeah, I hear ya. Those multiple overtime games last year were a killer.