PDA

View Full Version : What was the difference in the Pistons game (W) and all the others (Ls)?

ElNono
10-21-2015, 08:08 PM
I thought the ball moved really well in that win, tbh, the whole team was engaged, even end of the bench guys like Boban seemed to contribute... anything else I'm missing?

Pop didn't seem to care too much against the Suns...

ChumpDumper
10-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Trolls have a preseason too.

Robz4000
10-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Whole team just seemed a lot lighter against the Pistons; clearly there wasn't anything weighing them down...

ElNono
10-21-2015, 08:11 PM
Whole team just seemed a lot lighter against the Pistons; clearly there wasn't anything weighing them down...

Pop benching Kawhi and Danny early too...

spurs10
10-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Good question. I think this team with so much talent will have to be sure to respect their opponents. It will be easy to assume a team like the Suns couldn't possibly compete with us. Now obviously Pop wasn't playing to win, but still we got our asses handed to us.

tholdren
10-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Manu.

dabom
10-21-2015, 08:22 PM
:lmao

apalisoc_9
10-21-2015, 08:34 PM
Less Aldridge post ups. Aldridge posts are a huge negative for this team..It's inefficient and leads to easy buckes on the other side.

Aldridge took jumpshots...

Seriously, I have no Idea why this team can't just turn those Aldridge post ups to Pick and Pops for him..So much more spacing that way and he's a better shooter than a post up player anyway since he almost always fadeways in the post.

Kool Bob Love
10-21-2015, 08:42 PM
You could have let it slide ENn. You're better than this and you know it.

james evans
10-21-2015, 08:43 PM
preseason

ceperez
10-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Spurs look like they had a problem with Suns speed.

Also take both Mills and Green out of the game and you have just an average 3 point shooting team.

Mikeanaro
10-21-2015, 08:55 PM
Oink.

ElNono
10-21-2015, 09:19 PM
I actually think we're only going to see more post ups for LMA... IMO that's his shot and the quickest way to get him acclimated

SAGirl
10-21-2015, 09:20 PM
I thought the ball moved really well in that win, tbh, the whole team was engaged, even end of the bench guys like Boban seemed to contribute... anything else I'm missing?

Pop didn't seem to care too much against the Suns...

I watched only the second half of the Suns game and I had lag, but just in general, Kawhi and LMA have no chemistry. The first game against SAC they were awful as a unit. In the Miami game they were great but Tony had a good game setting others up, and Timmy was excellent. There wasn't necessarily a lot of Kawhi/LMA action, they just looked good as unit and all guys played well. The Atl game was very awkward with Bonner starting in place of LMA. The starters didn't do too well either and if they can't hide Bonner for a few minutes, it convinced me Bonner is really done as player, but whatever. The second half of that game, Kawhi went into some crazy Kobesque shit, forcing stuff. And Pop put some awful lineups together, running things through slowmo and Ray at times, but with Deshaun Thomas and just guys that are not NBA players against ATL starters, then Simmons to end the game. It made for some hilarious shaktin a fool moments from all of our youngsters.

The Detroit game had them all relatively engaged, and they played well. Tony famously sat that game out with ankle soreness, but other than that, Pop used real game rotations except for the fourth quarter. That helped. There were no marginal players until the fourth quarter. That game Slow-mo and Manu dished out 10 assists and were very efficient. You can see that the second unit can be special, and the first unit was in much better sync.

This Suns game had Pop again in experiment mode, having both Simmons as PG, and then Williams. I think Pop was testing these guys out to trim the roster and it backfired. Just a guess, but its damning for Simmons that he hasn't looked good for any stretch. Slow-mo has managed to have some good games TBH, and his sucking has come when you ask him to do too much at this stage of his development with bad players next to him. To his credit, in my opinion he's got a strong mind, and even if he had a bad play or two, he will keep playing and string together a play or two in following possessions that give you hope he's got a future and talent to build upon. Ray has played tenacious defense from day 1, and been very consistent in that regard. He's got a nice jumpshot and quick trigger. He's not a talented passer but has potential to help run a good offense, particularly in the second unit. In the Detroit game he was next to slowmo and Manu and he did very well complimenting them and was not afraid to shoot the 3.

Simmons hasn't been at the level of these two youngsters. He's been bad and then come back next game and been worse. He lacks confidence, and is clearly not cut out for what Pop is asking of him.

Williams is limited, and unathletic, so not a good complement to slowmo and Manu at all, but you can see what he brings. He can shoot and give you some basic ball movement. Simmons is athletic, and would be the better option next to slowmo or manu especially, but at this point he's made everyone worse.

ElNono
10-21-2015, 09:22 PM
SAGirl :tu

TheGreatYacht
10-21-2015, 09:26 PM
http://youtu.be/1QJ6P8Yxil4

ChumpDumper
10-21-2015, 09:28 PM
Detroit is terrible.

ElNono
:lol

Goatze :tu

apalisoc_9
10-21-2015, 09:30 PM
I actually think we're only going to see more post ups for LMA... IMO that's his shot and the quickest way to get him acclimated

That's the shot he wants but it isn't the shot that he makes an elite rate. If the spurs want to live 38% LMA post ups, well..Shoot me.

Not only is a single play, it's also doesn't promote ball movement as much as The screen and Pop or roll..not to mention Aldridge shoots WAY better out of those rolls and pops.

he needs to get acclimated, but they need to acclimate him according to what they're supposed to be doing...

There was hardly any Screen and Pop plays for LMA in the pre-season..and honestly that was disappointing.

ElNono
10-21-2015, 09:31 PM
:lol I've seen more pictures of Matt Barnes than Tim Duncan in here over the summer, and peeps are really bitching about this thread? Come on son, lighten up... Plus the basketball takes in this thread already largely surpass the Jimmer thread, tbh

10-21-2015, 09:33 PM
Get used to these losses, it's gonna be a long season.

That first game set the tone for the season just like Berlin last year :stirpot:

ElNono
10-21-2015, 09:35 PM
That's the shot he wants but it isn't the shot that he makes an elite rate. If the spurs want to live 38% LMA post ups, well..Shoot me.

Not only is a single play, it's also doesn't promote ball movement as much as The screen and Pop or roll..not to mention Aldridge shoots WAY better out of those rolls and pops.

he needs to get acclimated, but they need to acclimate him according to what they're supposed to be doing...

There was hardly any Screen and Pop plays for LMA in the pre-season..and honestly that was disappointing.

That's his comfort zone right now, tbh... We might run 15 post ups for him, but that doesn't mean he has to finish them all off with a turnaround jumper. I think we can build on that play for cuts and 3 pointers.

The Suns were actually occasionally doubling him last night. The Spurs need to figure out how to take advantage.

apalisoc_9
10-21-2015, 09:44 PM
That's his comfort zone right now, tbh... We might run 15 post ups for him, but that doesn't mean he has to finish them all off with a turnaround jumper. I think we can build on that play for cuts and 3 pointers.

The Suns were actually occasionally doubling him last night. The Spurs need to figure out how to take advantage.

Really have to dish the "comfort zone" argument. He shot a terrible 38% on his "comfort zone" last year and that was supposed to be a career high.

Just a terrible way to acclimate him. Also a terrible way to play offense..IMO.

The spurs are going to flank and lose multiple games if they're going to run that many posts ups considering how terrible their transition Defense is...

And it won't matter if he's played here for two years or 2 months. Those numbers and the fact that this team struggles with transition defense is never going to change even if he was comfortable enough to take A poop in front of Pop's daughter...He's always been Elite in the Pop and Roll..Numbers say it..but he's actually pretty darn average as a post up player...These two facts won't change regarless how hard you try to acclimate him with terrible Post ups.

SAGirl
10-21-2015, 10:38 PM

He moved the ball in those cases. He's actually promoted ball movement out of double teams. The assist is credited to someone else, but the player who got defenses scrambling initially was LMA. I am afraid to almost say this because of all the blind player fandom in these parts, but in the very few minutes they have played together, Slow-Mo already got a dunk for himself out of a LMA pnr, and an assist credited to him from LMA as the rollman. A note to perimeter players: "If you get LMA involved in what you are doing offensively good things will happen for yourself or for him. Either way its a win-win."

Too often, Kawhi looks for his own shots, and doesn't particularly look to get LMA involved in what he's doing. The fact he's a good midrange shooter doesn't mean that is all he should be attempting (and many contested ones at times). Last year there were times when it looked similar. I won't say much more about it bc the Kawhi crew will crucify me, but its on Pop to get these two guys working together. I am not even mentioning Tony bc he's unreliable. To me, whatever he gives you is bonus. If he's having a good game setting others up, it is a probably a game that the Spurs will win easily. The problem is, if Tony is injured, out, having a stinker of a game, or whatever. They have to rely less on Tony and if they want to put the ball in Kawhi's hands more, it can't be all these crazy contested mid-range shots and isolation play.

Here are the plays I mention with Slow-Mo/Aldridge PnR at the 1 min mark: http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/10/21/1445400599489-SpursSuns-Highlights.mp4-69066

apalisoc_9
10-21-2015, 10:51 PM
He moved the ball in those cases. He's actually promoted ball movement out of double teams. The assist is credited to someone else, but the player who got defenses scrambling initially was LMA. I am afraid to almost say this because of all the blind player fandom in these parts, but in the very few minutes they have played together, Slow-Mo already got a dunk for himself out of a LMA pnr, and an assist credited to him from LMA as the rollman. A note to perimeter players: "If you get LMA involved in what you are doing offensively good things will happen for yourself or for him. Either way its a win-win."

Too often, Kawhi looks for his own shots, and doesn't particularly look to get LMA involved in what he's doing. The fact he's a good midrange shooter doesn't mean that is all he should be attempting (and many contested ones at times). Last year there were times when it looked similar. I won't say much more about it bc the Kawhi crew will crucify me, but its on Pop to get these two guys working together. I am not even mentioning Tony bc he's unreliable. To me, whatever he gives you is bonus. If he's having a good game setting others up, it is a probably a game that the Spurs will win easily. The problem is, if Tony is injured, out, having a stinker of a game, or whatever. They have to rely less on Tony and if they want to put the ball in Kawhi's hands more, it can't be all these crazy contested mid-range shots and isolation play.

Here are the plays I mention with Slow-Mo/Aldridge PnR at the 1 min mark: http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/10/21/1445400599489-SpursSuns-Highlights.mp4-69066

Where are you getting your stats?

He hardly passed the ball outside the post and the LMA post ups have been a huge negative.

Kawhi has assisted over 10 points on LMA midrange shots, the most probably in a spurs uniform..Exactly the kind of shots he should be taking.

If you get LMA involved in the right way, Good things happen...If you're going to rely on LMA post ups you're getting 38% shooting and a terrible transition defense to cover those bricks in transition. If you haven't played close attention, Majority of LMA posts ups result in opposing teams scoring.

SAGirl
10-21-2015, 10:56 PM

He hardly passed the ball outside the post and the LMA post ups have been a huge negative.

Kawhi has assisted over 10 points on LMA midrange shots, the most probably in a spurs uniform..Exactly the kind of shots he should be taking.

If you get LMA involved in the right way, Good things happen...If you're going to rely on LMA post ups you're getting 38% shooting and a terrible transition defense to cover those bricks in transition. If you haven't played close attention, Majority of LMA posts ups result in opposing teams scoring.
Not citing stats, these are observations from watching these games. Simple.

RD2191
10-21-2015, 11:01 PM

Go in on that hoe, bruh.

spurraider21
10-21-2015, 11:05 PM
TrollNono with the goods :tu

dominant poster and former NBA forum MVP doing work

spurraider21
10-21-2015, 11:05 PM
:cheer

10-21-2015, 11:22 PM
Go in on that hoe, bruh.

:cheer

10-21-2015, 11:22 PM

Powerful post :wow

apalisoc_9
10-21-2015, 11:35 PM
Not citing stats, these are observations from watching these games. Simple.

He made a WHOOPING 1 pass out of the post-ups that resulted in crsip ball movement so I'm curious too see how you even came up with those "observations".

ElNono
10-22-2015, 09:20 AM
TrollNono with the goods :tu

dominant poster and former NBA forum MVP doing work

https://donttrysohard.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/shaq-pwns-chris-dudley.gif

DarrinS
10-22-2015, 09:30 AM
https://donttrysohard.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/shaq-pwns-chris-dudley.gif

RIP Chris Dudley :lol

Splits
10-22-2015, 12:52 PM

:lmao

ElNono
10-22-2015, 02:15 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVROsma6xpk

tbh, IMO, fwiw

TheGreatYacht
10-22-2015, 03:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVROsma6xpk

tbh, IMO, fwiw
I saw that :lmao

Also lost to Mejico

UNT Eagles 2016
10-22-2015, 04:09 PM
It's preseason and the team doesn't give a shit. The Pistons just gave even less of a shit on that one particular night, however.

ElNono
10-22-2015, 04:35 PM
I saw that :lmao

Also lost to Mejico

I missed the Mejico game, congrats, tbh...

I was gonna post Maxi's goal in response, but we're sucking up a storm to even bring that up ATM...