PDA

View Full Version : Article: Spurs' Simmons with Little Space for Error

SAGirl
10-22-2015, 11:13 AM
It doesn't share much that we didn't already know, but it seems Pop is putting all of Simmons' mistakes in the context of his inexperience. He had never had a training camp before, and this is his first taste of NBA action. He is truly a rookie. The mental pressure of the game is getting to him, and when he makes a mistake, it affects his focus.

Simmons’ inexperience has showed at times during his inaugural NBA preseason, which continues Tuesday against Phoenix at the AT&T Center.Through four games, Simmons has made 1 of 10 shots, totaled nine turnovers and has enjoyed little opportunity to unleash the jaw-dropping athleticism that made him a star of the Spurs’ Summer League squad.
Sunday, with the Spurs clinging to a 96-92 victory over Detroit, Simmons committed a costly turnover, twice fouled the Pistons’ Marcus Morris on a 3-point attempt and rimmed out a quick-trigger 3-pointer of his own.
“I think he’s trying not to make mistakes, and when he does make one, it bothers him a little too much probably,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “But he’s a good player, and we’ll just see how he moves forward.”
Simmons does not disagree with Popovich’s assessment of his mental state.
A player who says he prides himself on keeping his emotions in check — “It’s just basketball,” he says — Simmons acknowledges his eagerness to please might be getting the best of him.
“I have limited space for error,” Simmons said. “I know I should move on to the next play, make it up on defense, but I have higher expectations out of myself. I want it so bad. I just have to relax and move on to the next play.”

These interviews came before the Suns game, where he was again bad. He may just be retained as a pet project and sent down to the D'league to work on those handles and that shooting a little more. If he sticks, he's Austin bound for sure. He needs to get his confidence back.

Here is the article: http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-Simmons-has-limited-space-for-error-6578092.php

SPURt
10-22-2015, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure he's a "pet project". He is talented enough for other teams to sign and play him, I'm sure he would've had other options. I do respect that he is taking on the challenge of trying to be a bit player on the Spurs instead of another team (Brooklyn) where he'd have a shot at easier minutes.

I feel like a player trying out with the Spurs is risking more for less playing time. Had he flamed out in Brooklyn, surrounding talent and team culture can be blamed. If he flames out in SA the problem is likely with the player.

BillMc
10-22-2015, 11:25 AM
It doesn't share much that we didn't already know, but it seems Pop is putting all of Simmons' mistakes in the context of his inexperience. He had never had a training camp before, and this is his first taste of NBA action. He is truly a rookie. The mental pressure of the game is getting to him, and when he makes a mistake, it affects his focus.

These interviews came before the Suns game, where he was again bad. He may just be retained as a pet project and sent down to the D'league to work on those handles and that shooting a little more. If he sticks, he's Austin bound for sure. He needs to get his confidence back.

Here is the article: http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-Simmons-has-limited-space-for-error-6578092.php

Thanks for that Op.

That quote about wanting it so bad but just have to relax makes me like Simmons more. He's got good perspective on himself. I'm rooting for him.

dabom
10-22-2015, 11:27 AM
Simmons makes the cut.

Ice009
10-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Man, I really hope that he can recover. He didn't too do well in the Suns game either, and this article was before that game, so hopefully he hasn't lost even more confidence since then. I still really like him, but he's just not doing it out there on the court. If Pop thinks he's a good player, then I hope that they can give him some more time to see if he can settle down and put his mistakes behind him.

Come on Simms, I know you can do it.

ElNono
10-22-2015, 11:30 AM
Here's a shareable link to it:
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-Simmons-has-limited-space-for-error-6578092.php?t=e057b30014927fc3fb&cmpid=twitter-premium

SAGirl
10-22-2015, 11:34 AM
There is an interview from Pop when he mentions he was grateful Van Gundy kept his starters in during the Detroit game bc it helps him see who can play when the "lights go on basically." Simmons may be doing well in practice, but he doesn't do well in games. I do think they keep him. It seems even at his worst, they have good things to say about him, but he has not calmed down in games.

daledondale
10-22-2015, 11:34 AM
OP isn't a girl but knows about basketball.

ceperez
10-22-2015, 11:35 AM

The team is as it is extremely deep, so Simmons will likely do stints in D-league to get his confidence back. He's a talented player, just needs to relax. I am sure that Pop has seen what he can do in practice.

The team is at least 10 deep not even counting McCallum and Marjanovic. Simmons plays when Manu is on DNP, simple as that. He's a rookie folks and probably will spend as much time with the Spurs as Anderson did last year.

ceperez
10-22-2015, 11:37 AM
There is an interview from Pop when he mentions he was grateful Van Gundy kept his starters in during the Detroit game bc it helps him see who can play when the "lights go on basically." Simmons may be doing well in practice, but he doesn't do well in games. I do think they keep him. It seems even at his worst, they have good things to say about him, but he has not calmed down in games.

I would be absolutely shocked if Simmons gets waived. Highly unlikely.

Chinook
10-22-2015, 11:38 AM
I wonder how he could have developed had the Spurs drafted him in 2012 instead of picking him up this late. He might have been a better player, or he might not have developed his play-making abilities. I don't think the Spurs will cut him. Pop seems to like him a lot, though he might just be talking up Simmons because he knows Johnathon is fragile.

I don't think time in Austin is the key, though. What more is he going to do there that he hasn't done already? He's not used to NBA-quality play. He's not going to get more used to it in the d-league. Only reason I'd want him there/here is to help Cady and Ndoye with their development, since we know he can get them the ball in good places.

Chinook
10-22-2015, 11:38 AM
I would be absolutely shocked if Simmons gets waived. Highly unlikely.

Both Williams and Butler have outplayed him. Money is an issue they have to weigh, but it wouldn't be all that shocking to me.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-22-2015, 11:39 AM
Guys he's fine.
He just needs to settle down. He not playing with scrubs anymore he's playing with several hall of famers.
Just give him time

FromWayDowntown
10-22-2015, 11:45 AM
I think he'll stick with the team, but he's a pretty long way from the rotation at this point and doesn't even seem ready to see spot duty in the way that, say, Cory Joseph could at times in certain defensive situations in his earliest days (when he wasn't in Austin).

The flash of this summer was intriguing, but at some point, the inability to make plays (and to make the right decisions) in real game situations against real NBA players becomes a problem that cannot be overlooked. It's slightly worrisome that we're 5 games into the preseason and Simmons is still struggling with the ability to just relax and play. Time is on his side, but there's a reason to be concerned (so far) that he's either not as skilled as he appeared or that he might be too emotionally fragile to showcase those skills. Here's hoping he gets it worked out and can figure out a way to contribute.

SAGirl
10-22-2015, 11:59 AM
I wonder how he could have developed had the Spurs drafted him in 2012 instead of picking him up this late. He might have been a better player, or he might not have developed his play-making abilities. I don't think the Spurs will cut him. Pop seems to like him a lot, though he might just be talking up Simmons because he knows Johnathon is fragile.

I don't think time in Austin is the key, though. What more is he going to do there that he hasn't done already? He's not used to NBA-quality play. He's not going to get more used to it in the d-league. Only reason I'd want him there/here is to help Cady and Ndoye with their development, since we know he can get them the ball in good places.
I would send him there to work on those handles a little more. That is key for his game IMO, and it saps all his confidence that he's afraid of turning the ball over or making mistakes. His ball handling problems were evident in the D'league as well, so its something he can work on over there. Other than that, the mental aspect of the game, and dealing with the pressure, I am not sure how he'll deal with that. Kyle was a 21 yr old slow-mo rookie and had to start games suddenly during a tough stretch of the season when Kawhi got injured. You can't go out there being scared, and you can't loose your focus bc you just threw an airball or had a TO. In fact, for rookies to make it in the league, its a cutthroat business, your opportunities are limited and you have to make the most of each and every one of them.

I feel like rookies who played in NCAA games as the featured guy have already built up some mental toughness, and some of their games, particularly in tournaments, are in front of loud crowds with a lot of pressure built up. Because of Simmons' unlikely path to the NBA, the mental toughness aspect is something that he maybe didn't develop.

I think it's one of those intangibles, but I feel like if his handles were better, it would help his confidence a whole lot.

SAGirl
10-22-2015, 12:02 PM
I think he'll stick with the team, but he's a pretty long way from the rotation at this point and doesn't even seem ready to see spot duty in the way that, say, Cory Joseph could at times in certain defensive situations in his earliest days (when he wasn't in Austin).

The flash of this summer was intriguing, but at some point, the inability to make plays (and to make the right decisions) in real game situations against real NBA players becomes a problem that cannot be overlooked. It's slightly worrisome that we're 5 games into the preseason and Simmons is still struggling with the ability to just relax and play. Time is on his side, but there's a reason to be concerned (so far) that he's either not as skilled as he appeared or that he might be too emotionally fragile to showcase those skills. Here's hoping he gets it worked out and can figure out a way to contribute.

Agree with you fully here. It is a concern as you mention. After this interview, he went out there in the Suns game and was very bad again.

ElNono
10-22-2015, 12:03 PM
I thought Manu would be a great mentor to him, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pop actually does designate him as Manu's pet project this season. I think the Spurs wanna see if he's blinded by the bright lights that came too suddenly... so it's gonna be a process with him. The amount of money they invested on him is small, so they can call the experiment off at any time.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-22-2015, 12:05 PM

True, but I think pop has learned his lesson about playing young projects early and the benefits of throwing them in the fire.
I think he'll get some burn throughout the season.
We need young legs to soak up regular season minutes.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Wow, exactly what I said. I think Simmons will eventually become a good player in the Spurs rotation. But he is just pressing too hard and making a lot of mental mistakes. This preseason is truly his first NBA LEVEL competitive play. SL is glorified D-league tournament.

He will go back to Austin for a stint and will be back with the team mid year.

spurs10
10-22-2015, 12:07 PM
Yes he's having a rough start. It make sense. They have a lot of pressure and the NBA is quite a talent pool. The bad guys are good enough to be in the NBA. Lucky for him he has that guaranteed money. It makes it a win/win situation for him. Reckon they keep him at the end of the bench or in Austin.

ElNono
10-22-2015, 12:09 PM

Yeah, I think it's fair to say right now that we don't know if he's an NBA player. But there's obviously something they like enough about him (athleticism, passing, court vision?) that makes them feel they can work him into shape.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-22-2015, 12:25 PM
He'd very likely be claimed if they waive him so I don't think they'd keep him only because of the guaranteed contract.

There's nothing the D-league can help him with. I don't see any purpose of keeping him because of this.

silverblackfan
10-22-2015, 12:25 PM
I thought Manu would be a great mentor to him, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pop actually does designate him as Manu's pet project this season. I think the Spurs wanna see if he's blinded by the bright lights that came too suddenly... so it's gonna be a process with him. The amount of money they invested on him is small, so they can call the experiment off at any time.
This.

KL2
10-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Rookies always need to go through the process of getting desensitized, that's when they start to calm down and let the game come to them. He hasn't played well but hasn't really had a lot of help, he's generally on the court with the 3rd stringers aside of the last game and Pop is still figuring out what kind of player he is. Overall it's too small of a sample size to judge him, people forget how badly Baynes, Splitter, Cojo, Hill etc. were in some of the earliest games of their career.

I do think the Spurs need Simmons more than people realize, and hope they develop his defense as much as possible this year. Even just a few spot minutes here and there for defensive purposes can be the small difference, that extra push the Spurs need to win. What are the Spurs going to do when Leonard gets injured or in foul trouble early? Or when Pop is having his bitch fits and benches Green? Or when Porker is getting raped by some no name PG?

The Spurs need a quick agile guard to replace Cojo's defense, Simmons can potentially be that player. I don't expect him to be a star, but I think he can already be a much much better defender than the likes of Anderson, Butler, Williams, who all lack lateral speed, he's definitely their best option for that role atm. His transition defense in the d league was also pretty impressive, he was chasing people down and swatting them, and we know the Spurs need that transition defense, a guy who can go out there and run.

BillMc
10-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Here's a shareable link to it:
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-Simmons-has-limited-space-for-error-6578092.php?t=e057b30014927fc3fb&cmpid=twitter-premium
:toast

Thanks

FromWayDowntown
10-22-2015, 12:50 PM
An interesting aspect of this situation is that after the relatively soft early schedule might give Pop a chance to just let Simmons get some run in games and see if he can piece it together in circumstances that are even more structured than a preseason game would be. Let him play a bit with a fairly settled group in games that the Spurs aren't likely to lose if one of the role guys plays poorly and see what happens.

He's sort of the flip side of Darius Washington a few years ago -- a kid who played so fantastically in the preseason that he bullied his way on to the roster and Pop gave him some time for about a week to see if the preseason was a blip or the truth; Pop might give Simmons some time to see if his dreadful preseason is just the blip.

Still, if he's shook in preseason games, I'm concerned about how he'd fare in the late 3rd or early 4th quarter of a tight April/May playoff game at Staples or Toyota Center or FedEx or Oracle.

spursistan
10-22-2015, 12:56 PM
Folks should stop comparing him with Cojo..Joseph came here as 20yo with plenty time or room to grow, Simmons is already 26..6 year age difference is nothing to sniff at..he might be "he is who is right now"..heck even Gray Neal a late bloomer was more NBA-ready at similar juncture, from whom we could only wring out a year or two of seconday role-fulfilling duties while straining to cover all his flaws..

Mr. Body
10-22-2015, 12:58 PM
An interesting aspect of this situation is that after the relatively soft early schedule might give Pop a chance to just let Simmons get some run in games and see if he can piece it together in circumstances that are even more structured than a preseason game would be. Let him play a bit with a fairly settled group in games that the Spurs aren't likely to lose if one of the role guys plays poorly and see what happens.

He's sort of the flip side of Darius Washington a few years ago -- a kid who played so fantastically in the preseason that he bullied his way on to the roster and Pop gave him some time for about a week to see if the preseason was a blip or the truth; Pop might give Simmons some time to see if his dreadful preseason is just the blip.

Still, if he's shook in preseason games, I'm concerned about how he'd fare in the late 3rd or early 4th quarter of a tight April/May playoff game at Staples or Toyota Center or FedEx or Oracle.

He might still be thinking he could get cut. Once he sees a sea of games in front of him he may settle down.

Mr. Body
10-22-2015, 12:58 PM
Of note is that the limited space for error quote comes from him, not anybody else.

FromWayDowntown
10-22-2015, 01:02 PM
Folks should stop comparing him with Cojo..Joseph came here as 20yo with plenty time or room to grow, Simmons is already 26..6 year age difference is nothing to sniff at..he might be "he is who is right now"..heck even Gray Neal a late bloomer was more NBA-ready at similar juncture, from whom we could only wring out a year or two of seconday role-fulfilling duties while straining to cover all his flaws..

Agree that the circumstance is different. Cory was also a First Round pick, which meant that he was guaranteed for several years and didn't have to worry about whether he'd actually make the team; he could just focus on improving, knowing he had time for that growth and he did a good job of making good use of that time. Simmons has guaranteed money, but he's not guaranteed a spot in the same sense.

Neal is the much more viable comparison.

hater
10-22-2015, 01:10 PM
He's trash. Euro asket bound

TimDunkem
10-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Hater hates him so I'm convinced he'll at least turn out to be a decent player for us.

ElNono
10-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Hater hates him so I'm convinced he'll at least turn out to be a decent player for us.

:wow :lol

ceperez
10-22-2015, 02:04 PM
I would send him there to work on those handles a little more. That is key for his game IMO, and it saps all his confidence that he's afraid of turning the ball over or making mistakes. His ball handling problems were evident in the D'league as well, so its something he can work on over there. Other than that, the mental aspect of the game, and dealing with the pressure, I am not sure how he'll deal with that. Kyle was a 21 yr old slow-mo rookie and had to start games suddenly during a tough stretch of the season when Kawhi got injured. You can't go out there being scared, and you can't loose your focus bc you just threw an airball or had a TO. In fact, for rookies to make it in the league, its a cutthroat business, your opportunities are limited and you have to make the most of each and every one of them.

I feel like rookies who played in NCAA games as the featured guy have already built up some mental toughness, and some of their games, particularly in tournaments, are in front of loud crowds with a lot of pressure built up. Because of Simmons' unlikely path to the NBA, the mental toughness aspect is something that he maybe didn't develop.

I think it's one of those intangibles, but I feel like if his handles were better, it would help his confidence a whole lot.

Major difference in psychology from someone who was a star at UCLA as compared to someone who didn't even get drafted, played in some unknown league before even lucking out and getting into a walk on trial with the D-League Toros.

Most players at least make it into the D-league. Otherwise they are playing in some professional league else where in the world. So, are we surprised that he's under pressure while playing with hall of famers??? He'll eventually get used to it. There's still a whole regular season to play.

ceperez
10-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Rookies always need to go through the process of getting desensitized, that's when they start to calm down and let the game come to them. He hasn't played well but hasn't really had a lot of help, he's generally on the court with the 3rd stringers aside of the last game and Pop is still figuring out what kind of player he is. Overall it's too small of a sample size to judge him, people forget how badly Baynes, Splitter, Cojo, Hill etc. were in some of the earliest games of their career.

I do think the Spurs need Simmons more than people realize, and hope they develop his defense as much as possible this year. Even just a few spot minutes here and there for defensive purposes can be the small difference, that extra push the Spurs need to win. What are the Spurs going to do when Leonard gets injured or in foul trouble early? Or when Pop is having his bitch fits and benches Green? Or when Porker is getting raped by some no name PG?

The Spurs need a quick agile guard to replace Cojo's defense, Simmons can potentially be that player. I don't expect him to be a star, but I think he can already be a much much better defender than the likes of Anderson, Butler, Williams, who all lack lateral speed, he's definitely their best option for that role atm. His transition defense in the d league was also pretty impressive, he was chasing people down and swatting them, and we know the Spurs need that transition defense, a guy who can go out there and run.

I agree entirely that Simmons is necessary because of his defense.

ceperez
10-22-2015, 02:07 PM

This is the Spurs, rookies never are expected to play in a playoff game unless it is a blowout. Cojo was a 3rd year player and I didn't see him play in the playoff last year.

ceperez
10-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Agree that the circumstance is different. Cory was also a First Round pick, which meant that he was guaranteed for several years and didn't have to worry about whether he'd actually make the team; he could just focus on improving, knowing he had time for that growth and he did a good job of making good use of that time. Simmons has guaranteed money, but he's not guaranteed a spot in the same sense.

Neal is the much more viable comparison.

No. Neal isn't even comparable. Neal played several years in Europe and he was the man over there.

Simmons was extremely lucky to be even noticed by the Toros. The guy was probably working in gas stations after he went undrafted. I also beginning to suspect that he's the guy that can't read as mentioned by Pop or someone in the coaching staff.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2015, 02:20 PM
No. Neal isn't even comparable. Neal played several years in Europe and he was the man over there.

Simmons was extremely lucky to be even noticed by the Toros. The guy was probably working in gas stations after he went undrafted. I also beginning to suspect that he's the guy that can't read as mentioned by Pop or someone in the coaching staff.Link.

FromWayDowntown
10-22-2015, 02:33 PM
This is the Spurs, rookies never are expected to play in a playoff game unless it is a blowout. Cojo was a 3rd year player and I didn't see him play in the playoff last year.

Setting aside the fact that Pop has never shied away from playing rookies like Kawhi in the playoffs, even the spirit of your point is invalid. You give me Cory Joseph, I'll give you Gary Neal playing 19 minutes a night and putting up game winners against the Grizzlies in 2011 (when he was a rookie) and Beno Udrih getting ripped to shreds by the Pistons in the early stages of Games 3 and 4 of the 2005 Finals (when he was a rookie).

ceperez
10-22-2015, 02:33 PM
Link.

There's an interview with either Pop or one of the coaches this preseason that mentioned helping out a player to read. Of course they never did say who it was.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2015, 02:51 PM
There's an interview with either Pop or one of the coaches this preseason that mentioned helping out a player to read. Of course they never did say who it was.I doubt that seriously. You'll have to link it.

TheDoctor
10-22-2015, 02:55 PM
You can already notice Simmons' frustration whenever he wants to drive and can't find the wide open lines he used to find in Summer League. So, he needs to work around that. Hopefully, once he starts to feel the game better, to work with his teammates better, he should get his confidence back which should improve his game as a result.

ceperez
10-22-2015, 02:59 PM
You can already notice Simmons' frustration whenever he wants to drive and can't find the wide open lines he used to find in Summer League. So, he needs to work around that. Hopefully, once he starts to feel the game better, to work with his teammates better, he should get his confidence back which should improve his game as a result.

Those wide open lanes are going to be there for the Spurs. He's just forcing the situation so the drive is anticipated.

Manu is less athletic but he does find a lot of layups. He's going to learn a lot of tricks from Manu.

sasaint
10-22-2015, 03:06 PM

Manu and JSimms are an interesting pair to compare and contrast. I think most of us notice JSimms' athleticism and automatically compare him to Manu. Indeed, JSimms does things that few other Spurs his size have done other than Manu. But at the start of his career, Manu's errors, fouls, turnovers were a result of his OVERconficence. I do not ever recall Manu's confidence being shaken! So, there is that contrast with JSimms at this point. As a consequence, maybe Manu could be an even better mental mentor than mentor for his on-court basketball acumen.

I know that I have heard interviews with both Pop and Manu in which each said that when Manu first arrived in SA, he drove Pop crazy with his "undisciplined" play and that their ability to co-exist was very much in doubt. Of course we know how that played out. But it is a good precedent to demonstrate how patient Pop can be when he sees good potential in a prospect. Perhaps he sees enough in JSimms to exercise similar patience, and Manu can restore some confidence as well as basketball skill before Pop's patience runs out.

I think stints in Austin could definitely restore his confidence to at least his SL level where, on return engagements in SA he could begin to apply whatever skill he has at the NBA-level unhampered by a confidence issue.

toki9
10-22-2015, 03:25 PM
I doubt that seriously. You'll have to link it.

I think he means this interview, but it's a little ambiguous as to whether Pop was talking about a player:

http://hoopshype.com/2015/10/13/forces-of-character-a-conversation-with-gregg-popovich/

"When it comes to dealing with the kinds of players who may become a problem, those kids as you mentioned who may have come from tough backgrounds, do you ever try to impart life lessons or lessons on character through basketball?

GP: Sure. I think it’s really important because it’s the right thing to do. We spend a good deal of time discussing politics, race, food and wine, international events, and other things just to impart the notion that a life of satisfaction cannot be based on sports alone.

We work with our players on things as small as how they talk to the media. Things as easy as saying, “I’m doing well” instead of “I’m doing good” when someone greets them. It seems like a little thing but it’s important. My daughter still gets on me about that all the time when I say, “Oh, I’m good,” and she says, “No, dad, you’re well.” It sounds better, like you really went to school and paid attention.

I think working on some guys’ speech and how they react to the media really helps them have a more productive life. We do things on our team board like vocabulary and state capitals to see who gets them quickest before we start practice, just to get the guys thinking. Through those kinds of exercises you may find out that somebody’s not included over and over.

When you finally figure out why – maybe a kid can’t read very well – you get him in the room and you get him lessons. You have a little bit of a tough day because he’s embarrassed as hell, but then the kid starts to learn how to read and feels pretty great about himself.

That kind of off-the-court stuff is so important.

GP: I’ll go to dinner with a guy and it’ll be the first time he’s ever eaten an oyster or the first time he’s ever had a glass of wine. Whatever it might be, you’re spending time away from the court.

Building those relationships is crucial, especially if you want to have an impact on someone’s life. Several people I’ve interviewed for Forces of Character have brought up the importance of coaching the individual, meaning, you have to know a person before you can truly influence them and get them to buy into your team’s goals.

GP: I’ve been doing this a long time, and one of my biggest joys is when somebody comes back to town with their kids, or one of my players becomes one of my coaches, and you have that relationship that you’ve had for the last ten years, fifteen years. It might be only three years in some guys’ cases, but the lessons they learned from you paid off – even if you traded them or you cut them. Years later they come back and say that you were right, that now they know what you were telling them.

I think all of that relationship building helps them want to play for you, for the program, for their teammates. Beyond that, from a totally selfish point of view, I think I get most of my satisfaction from that. Sure, winning the championship is great, but it fades quickly. It’s always there and nobody can take it away. The satisfaction I get from Tony Parker bringing his child into the office, or some other player who came through the program and now I hired him as a coach and he’s back. That’s satisfying.

You can’t just get your satisfaction out of teaching somebody how to shoot or how to box out on a rebound. That’s not very important in the big picture of things. If you can have both I think you’ve got some satisfaction. It’s one of the motivations. That’s the selfish one I guess, but it’s real."

ceperez
10-22-2015, 03:40 PM
I think he means this interview, but it's a little ambiguous as to whether Pop was talking about a player:

http://hoopshype.com/2015/10/13/forces-of-character-a-conversation-with-gregg-popovich/

"When it comes to dealing with the kinds of players who may become a problem, those kids as you mentioned who may have come from tough backgrounds, do you ever try to impart life lessons or lessons on character through basketball?

GP: Sure. I think it’s really important because it’s the right thing to do. We spend a good deal of time discussing politics, race, food and wine, international events, and other things just to impart the notion that a life of satisfaction cannot be based on sports alone.

We work with our players on things as small as how they talk to the media. Things as easy as saying, “I’m doing well” instead of “I’m doing good” when someone greets them. It seems like a little thing but it’s important. My daughter still gets on me about that all the time when I say, “Oh, I’m good,” and she says, “No, dad, you’re well.” It sounds better, like you really went to school and paid attention.

I think working on some guys’ speech and how they react to the media really helps them have a more productive life. We do things on our team board like vocabulary and state capitals to see who gets them quickest before we start practice, just to get the guys thinking. Through those kinds of exercises you may find out that somebody’s not included over and over.

When you finally figure out why – maybe a kid can’t read very well – you get him in the room and you get him lessons. You have a little bit of a tough day because he’s embarrassed as hell, but then the kid starts to learn how to read and feels pretty great about himself.

That kind of off-the-court stuff is so important.

GP: I’ll go to dinner with a guy and it’ll be the first time he’s ever eaten an oyster or the first time he’s ever had a glass of wine. Whatever it might be, you’re spending time away from the court.

Building those relationships is crucial, especially if you want to have an impact on someone’s life. Several people I’ve interviewed for Forces of Character have brought up the importance of coaching the individual, meaning, you have to know a person before you can truly influence them and get them to buy into your team’s goals.

GP: I’ve been doing this a long time, and one of my biggest joys is when somebody comes back to town with their kids, or one of my players becomes one of my coaches, and you have that relationship that you’ve had for the last ten years, fifteen years. It might be only three years in some guys’ cases, but the lessons they learned from you paid off – even if you traded them or you cut them. Years later they come back and say that you were right, that now they know what you were telling them.

I think all of that relationship building helps them want to play for you, for the program, for their teammates. Beyond that, from a totally selfish point of view, I think I get most of my satisfaction from that. Sure, winning the championship is great, but it fades quickly. It’s always there and nobody can take it away. The satisfaction I get from Tony Parker bringing his child into the office, or some other player who came through the program and now I hired him as a coach and he’s back. That’s satisfying.

You can’t just get your satisfaction out of teaching somebody how to shoot or how to box out on a rebound. That’s not very important in the big picture of things. If you can have both I think you’ve got some satisfaction. It’s one of the motivations. That’s the selfish one I guess, but it’s real."

Thanks for digging it up! It definitely is about a player, but of course it doesn't say who.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2015, 03:43 PM
That's the kind of reading way too far into articles that ST is famous for.

ElNono
10-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Manu and JSimms are an interesting pair to compare and contrast. I think most of us notice JSimms' athleticism and automatically compare him to Manu. Indeed, JSimms does things that few other Spurs his size have done other than Manu. But at the start of his career, Manu's errors, fouls, turnovers were a result of his OVERconficence. I do not ever recall Manu's confidence being shaken! So, there is that contrast with JSimms at this point. As a consequence, maybe Manu could be an even better mental mentor than mentor for his on-court basketball acumen.

I know that I have heard interviews with both Pop and Manu in which each said that when Manu first arrived in SA, he drove Pop crazy with his "undisciplined" play and that their ability to co-exist was very much in doubt. Of course we know how that played out. But it is a good precedent to demonstrate how patient Pop can be when he sees good potential in a prospect. Perhaps he sees enough in JSimms to exercise similar patience, and Manu can restore some confidence as well as basketball skill before Pop's patience runs out.

I think stints in Austin could definitely restore his confidence to at least his SL level where, on return engagements in SA he could begin to apply whatever skill he has at the NBA-level unhampered by a confidence issue.

I'm not comparing... obviously when Manu arrived in the NBA, he was a multi-champion in Europe already...

What I'm saying is that Manu could be a good mentor, especially on the mental aspect of the game, which I think it's where Simms is struggling the most. How to handle the bright lights, relax, let the game come to him.

Also on other aspects within the system, as Manu was the SG of the Spurs for a long time. Both Pop and Manu spoke fairly highly of Simms' talent. I think they see something there.

silverblackfan
10-22-2015, 04:48 PM
There's an interview with either Pop or one of the coaches this preseason that mentioned helping out a player to read. Of course they never did say who it was.
Jimmer is gone now.

SAGirl
10-22-2015, 06:36 PM
There is only so much patience you have with someone who can't put his shit together. One thing is Manu's errors of overconfidence, and then his frustration with himself because his idea didn't turn out in practice like he thought it would, and another is what we are seeing from Simms.

The TO are really getting to me and starting to piss me off. It's getting to the point where one more TO from him, repulses me like another TO from Ayers... He's seriously starting to throw a bad vibe. They are too frequent and surrounded by too much of a scrubby play.

TheDoctor
10-22-2015, 06:44 PM
There is only so much patience you have with someone who can't put his shit together. One thing is Manu's errors of overconfidence, and then his frustration with himself because his idea didn't turn out in practice like he thought it would, and another is what we are seeing from Simms.

The TO are really getting to me and starting to piss me off. It's getting to the point where one more TO from him, repulses me like another TO from Ayers... He's seriously starting to throw a bad vibe. They are too frequent and surrounded by too much of a scrubby play.

Then write a venting letter to Pop, we can't do shit.

ElNono
10-22-2015, 06:44 PM

:lol We survived Ayres for 2 years... give this guy a bit of rope, tbh... after all, he has basically 4 preseason games under his belt, and most everybody was satisfied (if not in love) with him in SL... he obviously didn't forget how to play, despite any glaring issues (like his dribble drives)

I think this season so far is more the accumulated frustration with the team really being off due to the plethora of changes (LMA, West, Boban, McCallum, Simms, Kyle on a bigger role, etc), than one individual having issues. Doesn't help that some of them have look like straight up scrubs for long stretches. Patience will be the name of the game this season, we're basically reloading and rebuilding on the fly, and it's gonna be painful until it's allright.

SAGirl
10-22-2015, 07:15 PM
Then write a venting letter to Pop, we can't do shit.
:lmao
If only right? lol Got to laugth at myself. Wont see much of Simms even if he stays :toast

SAGirl
10-22-2015, 07:25 PM
:lol We survived Ayres for 2 years... give this guy a bit of rope, tbh... after all, he has basically 4 preseason games under his belt, and most everybody was satisfied (if not in love) with him in SL... he obviously didn't forget how to play, despite any glaring issues (like his dribble drives)

I think this season so far is more the accumulated frustration with the team really being off due to the plethora of changes (LMA, West, Boban, McCallum, Simms, Kyle on a bigger role, etc), than one individual having issues. Doesn't help that some of them have look like straight up scrubs for long stretches. Patience will be the name of the game this season, we're basically reloading and rebuilding on the fly, and it's gonna be painful until it's allright.
You are right. Its just that I used to like him a lot. Still have to take it easy lol going to be a long season. :downspin:

ceperez
10-22-2015, 07:25 PM
Simmons is essential to get the Spurs transition defense working.

Furthermore, according to Pop Simms has a great feel of the game.

SAGirl
10-22-2015, 07:28 PM

Furthermore, according to Pop Simms has a great feel of the game. It won't be working if he's turning the ball over at a high rate. He needs to clean up his act. All of these games have shown that he's not ready for a playmaking role. Have to bring him along easy and play off of others, instead of giving him the ball. I suspect what we are seeing in these practice games is not going to be RS play.

sasaint
10-22-2015, 07:37 PM

Furthermore, according to Pop Simms has a great feel of the game.

He may have a great feel for the game, but Simmons is NOT essential to any phase of the Spurs' game.

sasaint
10-22-2015, 07:49 PM
It won't be working if he's turning the ball over at a high rate. He needs to clean up his act. All of these games have shown that he's not ready for a playmaking role. Have to bring him along easy and play off of others, instead of giving him the ball. I suspect what we are seeing in these practice games is not going to be RS play.

Like you, I was rooting very hard for this guy to be our next great diamond-in-the-rough discovery, but he just makes me wince when he enters a game now. My guess is that he must be performing very differently in practice. Based solely on his performance in the pre-season games, it would be very hard to see why Pop didn't send him packing along with Jimmer et al. He has to be showing Pop something more - and not just because Pop has a better eye for players than we do.

ceperez
10-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Like you, I was rooting very hard for this guy to be our next great diamond-in-the-rough discovery, but he just makes me wince when he enters a game now. My guess is that he must be performing very differently in practice. Based solely on his performance in the pre-season games, it would be very hard to see why Pop didn't send him packing along with Jimmer et al. He has to be showing Pop something more - and not just because Pop has a better eye for players than we do.

Pop gets to see the players in practice. As fans there is a lot that we don't see.

SAGirl
10-22-2015, 10:17 PM
You are right. He has confidence issues. In the suns game they ignored him on the perimeter completely and packed the paint. He's actually turned down open 3s to try to drive and ended up with traveling calls or a TO. He wasn't this reluctant to shoot in dleague. I bet he makes 3s decently in an open gym. His issues are mental, I think that is part of why I am frustrated. I think he makes the team anyway, so Iam just going to chill, enjoy the season, and hope he toughens up and can help if he's called.

sasaint
10-22-2015, 10:37 PM
You are right. He has confidence issues. In the suns game they ignored him on the perimeter completely and packed the paint. He's actually turned down open 3s to try to drive and ended up with traveling calls or a TO. He wasn't this reluctant to shoot in dleague. I bet he makes 3s decently in an open gym. His issues are mental, I think that is part of why I am frustrated. I think he makes the team anyway, so Iam just going to chill, enjoy the season, and hope he toughens up and can help if he's called.

As Spurs fans, I believe a large part of our frustration with a guy like Simmons is because we have seen so few seriously athletic players wear the Silver and Black that they are fan magnets when they come along. We look at the success we have with our typically high-IQ-but-middling-athletic-ability players and dream of the dynasty Pop might produce with real [I]athletes[I]. I also rooted for Jamychal Green.

ceperez
10-22-2015, 10:53 PM
As Spurs fans, I believe a large part of our frustration with a guy like Simmons is because we have seen so few seriously athletic players wear the Silver and Black that they are fan magnets when they come along. We look at the success we have with our typically high-IQ-but-middling-athletic-ability players and dream of the dynasty Pop might produce with real [I]athletes[I]. I also rooted for Jamychal Green.

Well, Jamychal Green apparently scored 18 points against the Thunder in pre-season. :-(

sasaint
10-22-2015, 10:56 PM
Well, Jamychal Green apparently scored 18 points against the Thunder in pre-season. :-(

I wish he was scoring them for us, but I wish the guy well.

SpurPadre
10-22-2015, 11:49 PM
He wants confidence? All he needs to do is look at that giant piece of shit with red hair in the locker room and be told that it's been there for 9 seasons and counting along with two previous years with the Raptors. If that can stay in the league that long, Simmons, don't you think you can play garbage time every now and then for at least one season with this loaded team?

Ice009
10-23-2015, 02:57 AM

Yeah, I agree with this man. I want to give him more time. I don't think they should make any rash decisions and cut him right away. Both Manu and Pop have said some good things about him, so I assume he's showing them some positive things during some of their practices.

Since you bring up Ayres, I just want to add that he absolutely sucked ass even in Summer League last off-season. At least Jonathon was superior to him in Summer League play. I know Summer League doesn't count for much, but if Ayres was still on the team despite a poor Summer League, then I think Jonathon should get some more rope. I wanted the Spurs to cut Ayres after that dismal Summer League showing. Amazing how that guy was even in the NBA. Jonathon still has some decent potential and tools this team could use, so I hope he gets a bit more time to see if he can work it all out.

Ice009
10-23-2015, 04:14 AM
I wish he was scoring them for us, but I wish the guy well.

I wanted the Spurs to cut Ayres during the off-season and not pick up Daye's option so that they could use that roster spot on players that could actually help us on the court. They could have used one of those slots for JaMychal.

ceperez
10-23-2015, 06:52 AM
I wanted the Spurs to cut Ayres during the off-season and not pick up Daye's option so that they could use that roster spot on players that could actually help us on the court. They could have used one of those slots for JaMychal.

JaMychal looked like a steal. But Spurs couldn't sign him to a long term deal with all the upcoming changes.

If anything, the Spurs mistake may have been to actually call him up. That showed to the league their hand and he was quickly snapped up.

In contrast, Spurs were stealth with Simmons. He wasn't even on the Spurs Summer League roster when the signed him up!! He was on the Nets roster, which if you think about it, is double strange because Simmons had been playing for 2 years with the Toros.

Lesson learned here.

sasaint
10-23-2015, 11:06 AM
JaMychal looked like a steal. But Spurs couldn't sign him to a long term deal with all the upcoming changes.

Very good point. I didn't see what the team's plan was, and I've really failed to recognize the connection since.

If anything, the Spurs mistake may have been to actually call him up. That showed to the league their hand and he was quickly snapped up.

I wonder if they could have figured out a way to keep him down on the farm or place him in Europe for another year. I sure wish we had him as part of the current roster.

In contrast, Spurs were stealth with Simmons. He wasn't even on the Spurs Summer League roster when the signed him up!! He was on the Nets roster, which if you think about it, is double strange because Simmons had been playing for 2 years with the Toros.

Did he have an actual training camp deal with the Nets? Doesn't seem so "stealthy" as "oops we almost let this guy get away." A near repetition of their handling of Green.

ceperez
10-23-2015, 07:14 PM
Did he have an actual training camp deal with the Nets? Doesn't seem so "stealthy" as "oops we almost let this guy get away." A near repetition of their handling of Green.

He was on the Summer League team. The story was that he was on the Nets team bus when he got the call. He stopped the bus, got off and took a plane ride to play on the first game with the Spurs SL team.

If I recall the timing, the Spurs were still looking for a wing and a center. The center eventually ended up to be Marjanovic. I think timing had to be perfect, I can't recall though if it happened right after Aldridge signing or before.

TheGreatYacht
10-23-2015, 09:54 PM
I hope this guy stays. Just needs to get accustomed to the NBA, and he'll have a role on a championship team