PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Sign Julian Washburn

jon123spurs
10-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Paul Garcia PS (@PaulGarciaPS) tweeted at 4:37 PM on Thu, Oct 22, 2015:
The Spurs have announced the team has signed forward Julian Washburn.
(https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaPS/status/657309743556378625?s=03)

Paul Garcia PS (@PaulGarciaPS) tweeted at 4:38 PM on Thu, Oct 22, 2015:
Washburn is a 6'8" forward who finished playing for UTEP. He averaged 11.7 PPG & 3.8 REB per the press release from the Spurs.
(https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaPS/status/657310081113919488?s=03)

BatManu20
10-22-2015, 04:56 PM
Former undrafted SF out of UTEP. 6'8. Probable D-Leauger

Per club policy, terms of the agreement were not made available. Washburn is a 6’8″ forward who played all four seasons at UTEP from 2012 to 2015. Last season in 33 games, Washburn averaged 10.3 points, he shot 38.1% from 3-point range, and he grabbed 4.1 rebounds per game, in 33.8 minutes per game, per DraftExpress.com.

Chinook
10-22-2015, 04:58 PM
It's going to be mad interesting. They may just be signing him for Austin. Maybe they are going to give him a change to make the team.

BatManu20
10-22-2015, 05:00 PM
http://youtu.be/7e67dRDyQtA

3&D prospect

http://youtu.be/f-ztX8SB-Bw

ChumpDumper
10-22-2015, 05:02 PM
Pretty sure it's for Austin. They can allocate four players from camp and it's a fair bet one or both of Fredette/Thomas won't be going there.

Mel_13
10-22-2015, 05:09 PM
Spurs waived two camp players on October 23rd last year. They then signed two other players on the 24th and waived both of them on the 25th. Both of those players were selected in the dleague draft and went elsewhere, but the moves were clearly made with Austin in mind. This move is almost certainly the same sort of maneuver.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2015, 05:11 PM
I thought the league was frowning on this type of move, but I guess we'll see if this guys stays on for more than a day.

jon123spurs
10-22-2015, 05:26 PM
http://m.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-sign-former-UTEP-forward-Julian-Washburn-6585143.php

Roger Freemason Jr.
10-22-2015, 05:41 PM
Certainly a pickup for Austin.

TheDoctor
10-22-2015, 05:48 PM
NBA's fucked.

TrainOfThought5
10-22-2015, 07:02 PM
Championship.

SpurPadre
10-22-2015, 09:13 PM
This glowing article compares him to Bowen: http://www.minerrush.com/2015/6/19/8797969/nba-draft-profile-julian-washburn?

tholdren
10-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Sign another d league player who pop can't develop. Great news

DPG21920
10-22-2015, 09:58 PM
He's not really a 3D player from what I've read :lol More of the D and let's hope a miracle happens with the 3 kind of guy

Kawhitstorm
10-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Definitely for Austin, there is no way they would sign an inexperienced player to play w/ the big boys AFTER training camp.

Kawhitstorm
10-22-2015, 10:03 PM
Sign another d league player who pop can't develop. Great news

I agree, Pop signed a D-league player named Jimmer but failed to develop him.

Russ
10-23-2015, 12:08 AM
Pounding The Rock makes a Bowen comparison:

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/10/22/9600494/julian-washburn-signs-with-spurs

This move may indicate concern about Simmons.

BillMc
10-23-2015, 02:15 AM

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/10/22/9600494/julian-washburn-signs-with-spurs

Looks like a good prospect. Thanks for posting the article.

ChumpDumper
10-23-2015, 03:56 AM

This move may indicate concern about Simmons.Doubtful.

BillMc
10-23-2015, 04:14 AM
Former undrafted SF out of UTEP. 6'8. Probable D-Leauger

Per club policy, terms of the agreement were not made available. Washburn is a 6’8″ forward who played all four seasons at UTEP from 2012 to 2015. Last season in 33 games, Washburn averaged 10.3 points, he shot 38.1% from 3-point range, and he grabbed 4.1 rebounds per game, in 33.8 minutes per game, per DraftExpress.com.

If his defense is as good as the PTR article says, you'd have think someone would have drafted him in the second round.

Ice009
10-23-2015, 04:24 AM
Wow, if his defense is as good as they're saying, then I am very interested. Maybe even a little bit excited cause I LOVE defense. There must be a catch though, I mean, if he could shoot the 3 to go along with great defense, then I'd assume he would have already been on another team's roster. Those who have seen him play, can he at least shoot it a little bit?

ceperez
10-23-2015, 06:47 AM
Supposedly he's 6'8", he is actually 6'6 1/2 without shoes. He's a half inch taller than Leonard but with a lot less length.

Looks like an above average athlete, but not close to elite.

He's the son of a former NBA player. It does show that he's got great footwork and excellent shooting form. There's also some mention of him having a good basketball IQ.

Still, lots of teams evaluated him. He barely registered a point in Summer League. He played full 4 years in college.

Could be a decent role player, but nothing close to elite.

Chinook
10-23-2015, 06:58 AM
Supposedly he's 6'8", he is actually 6'6 1/2 without shoes.

Yeah, so he's 6-7.5 or 6-7.75 with shoes. Since we measure counting shoes in the US, it's not misleading to call him 6-8. Not that I disagree with him not being an elite prospect. RHJ was drafted in the first round despite not having an offensive game. If Washburn had been the elite college defender, someone would have picked up him.

Still, with Atkins going elsewhere, the Spurs had the room for a defensive forward in Austin. What are we looking at for the Toros' starting lineup? Sykes, Eddie (if he gets cut)/Simmons (if he gets assigned), Washburn, LaLanne, Ndoye? I'd watch that.

JeffDuncan
10-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year, one of the articles says. That may not be at the level of SEC defensive POY, but still, it's interesting. Worth a look.

SpurPadre
10-23-2015, 11:04 AM

They reference the same article I posted. Any ways, worth taking a flyer on the guy.

BillMc
10-24-2015, 04:21 AM
So did Washburn get waived and re-signed to Austin? Where's he at?

ceperez
10-24-2015, 06:32 AM
So did Washburn get waived and re-signed to Austin? Where's he at?

With Butler in, no other option to have him waived and then play for Austin.

BillMc
10-24-2015, 06:40 AM
With Butler in, no other option to have him waived and then play for Austin.
'
I thought so. Thanks.

DJR210
10-24-2015, 09:02 AM
I've just converted from the Church of Simmons..

BillMc
10-24-2015, 09:56 AM
I've just converted from the Church of Simmons..
:lol

absoloot66
10-24-2015, 10:46 AM
Supposedly he's 6'8", he is actually 6'6 1/2 without shoes. He's a half inch taller than Leonard but with a lot less length.

Looks like an above average athlete, but not close to elite.

He's the son of a former NBA player. It does show that he's got great footwork and excellent shooting form. There's also some mention of him having a good basketball IQ.

Still, lots of teams evaluated him. He barely registered a point in Summer League. He played full 4 years in college.

Could be a decent role player, but nothing close to elite.

Chris Washburn?

JeffDuncan
10-24-2015, 02:05 PM
Chris Washburn?

Yes.

BillMc
10-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Spurs have waived Washburn. I assume that's so they can sign him to D-league?

ChumpDumper
10-24-2015, 02:59 PM
Spurs have waived Washburn. I assume that's so they can sign him to D-league?Yep, you can pencil in Washburn, Ndoye and Sykes into the Austin roster. If Thomas stays in the states he'll be there too.

sasaint
10-25-2015, 04:18 PM
Yep, you can pencil in Washburn, Ndoye and Sykes into the Austin roster. If Thomas stays in the states he'll be there too.

Can you please explain why a player must be signed by an NBA club and then waived in order to sign with the D-league - if that is, indeed, necessary? Also, I saw a couple of names waived by other teams that I found intriguing. Terran Petteway who was a big-time scorer in college, and Perry Jones, cut by the Celtics. I'd like to see Petteway in Austin. Jones will, no doubt, land in the NBA. I wish we had a spot for him in SA. Better use of a roster spot than Bonner...

JeffDuncan
10-25-2015, 04:35 PM
Can you please explain why a player must be signed by an NBA club and then waived in order to sign with the D-league - if that is, indeed, necessary? ...

The D-league rules are complicated.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/santacruz/dleague_faqs.html

I have no expertise at all on the subject. It sorta sounds like this, tho.

"NBA Training Camp Allocations: Up to three players released from the roster of an NBA team before the D-League Draft can be allocated to that team's D-League affiliate provided they sign the standard D-League contract. They are known as “affiliate players.”

Somebody around here will know more, or at least will pretend to.

exstatic
10-25-2015, 04:55 PM
Can you please explain why a player must be signed by an NBA club and then waived in order to sign with the D-league - if that is, indeed, necessary? Also, I saw a couple of names waived by other teams that I found intriguing. Terran Petteway who was a big-time scorer in college, and Perry Jones, cut by the Celtics. I'd like to see Petteway in Austin. Jones will, no doubt, land in the NBA. I wish we had a spot for him in SA. Better use of a roster spot than Bonner...

It isn't. That is only needed if you want players to go directly to YOUR team without being allocated by the league, which is the other way to get players. Pettaway will likely be assigned to Maine, if that is Boston's wish. If not, he'll go through the allocation process, and it would depend on where Austin falls in that list as to if they could get him or not.

sasaint
10-25-2015, 05:00 PM
'
The D-league rules are complicated.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/santacruz/dleague_faqs.html

I have no expertise at all on the subject. It sorta sounds like this, tho.

"NBA Training Camp Allocations: Up to three players released from the roster of an NBA team before the D-League Draft can be allocated to that team's D-League affiliate provided they sign the standard D-League contract. They are known as “affiliate players.”

Somebody around here will know more, or at least will pretend to.

Thanks. So among Washburn, Ndoye, Sykes and Thomas only 3 of the 4 could qualify as "affiliate players"? Sorta seems to indicate that the Spurs must have had some idea that Thomas was headed to another team - either NBA or Euro - before they signed Washburn, huh?

exstatic
10-25-2015, 05:19 PM
'

Thanks. So among Washburn, Ndoye, Sykes and Thomas only 3 of the 4 could qualify as "affiliate players"? Sorta seems to indicate that the Spurs must have had some idea that Thomas was headed to another team - either NBA or Euro - before they signed Washburn, huh?

Thomas has already played in Europe, and with the HUGE money differential, there was zero chance of him playing in Austin. He'll either get picked up by another NBA team, or go back to Europe to wait for another chance.

Mel_13
10-25-2015, 05:19 PM
'

That link is a bit out of date. Teams can now allocate up to four players cut from camp.

Chinook
10-25-2015, 05:27 PM
Thomas has already played in Europe, and with the HUGE money differential, there was zero chance of him playing in Austin. He'll either get picked up by another NBA team, or go back to Europe to wait for another chance.

Depends on how badly he wants to be in the US. It might help him more if he can get big minutes with the Toros and get called up. Mid-tier European money is good money, but even 10-day NBA money is substantial enough to live off for a year or two. Thomas didn't burn his bridge with the Spurs only to waste in on one TC. My guess is whenever he goes back to Europe, it'll be for good.

exstatic
10-25-2015, 05:33 PM
Depends on how badly he wants to be in the US. It might help him more if he can get big minutes with the Toros and get called up. Mid-tier European money is good money, but even 10-day NBA money is substantial enough to live off for a year or two. Thomas didn't burn his bridge with the Spurs only to waste in on one TC. My guess is whenever he goes back to Europe, it'll be for good.

1) The Spurs signed Washburn AFTER waiving 3 players. That tells me that they know that one of the three is NOT Austin bound. Occam's razor.
2) Euro money is about 10X d-league money. It's easy to get $250K-$500K if you are willing to be there and can play. Both apply to Thomas.
3) This isn't 2000. Most teams actually have entire scouting staffs in Europe. He'll be seen and evaluated.

exstatic
10-25-2015, 05:35 PM

Oh, and he came to camp to either make the squad, or be a FA. He forced their hand, and now can sign with anyone who wants him, now, or down the road.

Chinook
10-25-2015, 05:52 PM
1) The Spurs signed Washburn AFTER waiving 3 players. That tells me that they know that one of the three is NOT Austin bound. Occam's razor.

They can allocate sign four players to the d-league. And one of the waived players was Jimmer, who is much less likely to play in Austin than Thomas.

2) Euro money is about 10X d-league money. It's easy to get $250K-$500K if you are willing to be there and can play. Both apply to Thomas.

Thomas as NEVER been crazy about playing overseas. He's wanted to force his way to states since he was drafted. But he said he had a family and had to think about the money. Now he has made a good deal of money for a normal guy, so if he wants to toil in fringe of the NBA for a couple years, he can afford to do so.

3) This isn't 2000. Most teams actually have entire scouting staffs in Europe. He'll be seen and evaluated.

But he can't be called up mid-season in Europe like he can in the d-league. The quest to make an NBA roster doesn't end after missing the TC cuts. There are plenty of examples of players who've caught on after starting the season in the d-league. Green and Butler are two such cases on the roster now.

Oh, and he came to camp to either make the squad, or be a FA. He forced their hand, and now can sign with anyone who wants him, now, or down the road.

Yeah, and he gives up the perks of being a draft pick. The Spurs take care of their prospects unless something goes really sour between them. They pay for surgeries, work with overseas clubs to secure good landing spots and lend their coaches' expertise to improve the player's skills. It's not something to be given up lightly. My guess is that DeShaun didn't burn that bridge just to be in the same position he was in last year.

ChumpDumper
10-25-2015, 06:19 PM
It isn't. That is only needed if you want players to go directly to YOUR team without being allocated by the league, which is the other way to get players. Pettaway will likely be assigned to Maine, if that is Boston's wish. If not, he'll go through the allocation process, and it would depend on where Austin falls in that list as to if they could get him or not.Just to flesh this out, both the team and the player have to agree to the allocation, otherwise the player can sign D-League contract and enter the draft

Sometimes players hold off on signing the D-League contract until after the draft and enter the available player pool. Then teams are arranged in some arcane order to be able to sign players in the pool. There is little doubt players and teams sometimes game the system so players make sure they end up on teams they want and that want them.