BatManu20
10-23-2015, 11:00 PM
Right call imo.

spurraider21
10-23-2015, 11:01 PM
good. williams literally doesnt do anything

SpursFan86
10-23-2015, 11:04 PM
So I'm guessing no news about Simmons means he made the team as well?

loveforthegame
10-23-2015, 11:05 PM
Good. :tu

Buddy Holly
10-23-2015, 11:06 PM
So I'm guessing no news about Simmons means he made the team as well?

His first year was guaranteed. It would take him denying the holocuast on TMZ to get waived this soon.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-23-2015, 11:12 PM
His first year was guaranteed. It would take him denying the holocuast on TMZ to get waived this soon.

LMAO

Tbiggums47
10-23-2015, 11:18 PM
Hilarious!��

Spur|n|Austin
10-23-2015, 11:19 PM
Obvious call here, good news :tu

DeRozan m8
10-23-2015, 11:22 PM
Roll up the blunts and celebrate!!

:hat

SAGirl
10-23-2015, 11:27 PM
Good choice keeping Rasual. I think the Reggie waiver was $. His contract was non-guaranteed, while Simms was.

crc21209
10-23-2015, 11:33 PM
Good news :tu. Rasual is a good vet who still has some gas left in the tank when called upon...

spursgu
10-23-2015, 11:38 PM
Can they waive Bonner too?

baseline bum
10-23-2015, 11:43 PM
Nice, I was hoping to see Butler make the team and glad to see Simmons kept too. Simmons was so impressive in summer league you gotta think something is there for him to eventually be an NBA player.

SpurPadre
10-24-2015, 12:24 AM

That's still less leeway than Bonner gets, tbh.

SpurPadre
10-24-2015, 12:25 AM

He's a made man so, no, the ginger fuck will never go away.

Kawhitstorm
10-24-2015, 12:57 AM
Good choice keeping Rasual. I think the Reggie waiver was $. His contract was non-guaranteed, while Simms was.

Whoever made the team b/w Simmons/Williams was going to be the 14th man at best so I would assume saving money would be the main priority.

Kawhitstorm
10-24-2015, 01:08 AM

He's a made man so, no, the ginger fuck will never go away.

I don't mind Bonner as long as he's only playing in garbage time or warming the bench. He's a good locker room guy & can help D-West get acclimated into his role.

Kawhi 5-0
10-24-2015, 01:13 AM

Was trying to imagine the TMZ scenario for a second. Quite a hilarious hypothetical :)

lefty
10-24-2015, 01:15 AM
http://www.stackedlikepancakes.com/wp-content/themes/slp/images/logo.png

Chris
10-24-2015, 01:39 AM
I don't mind Bonner as long as he's only playing in garbage time or warming the bench. He's a good locker room guy & can help D-West get acclimated into his role.

Also a good community guy and I think he's got a few shots and moments left in him.

gambit1990
10-24-2015, 03:14 AM
glad to have him on the team.

DrSteffo
10-24-2015, 03:56 AM
Rasual deserved it.

BillMc
10-24-2015, 04:03 AM
I would assume the typical inactives will be Bonner and Simmons most nights? But, for the first game, as Bonner has been useful in the past against OKC, I wonder which of Butler or Boban will be inactive.

DenialTwist
10-24-2015, 04:18 AM

I actually think Bonner will start some games this season lol when LMA is resting, expect Bonner to play. I wish the Spurs would bring in another defensive wing instead of keeping Bonner.

ceperez
10-24-2015, 05:17 AM
I would assume the typical inactives will be Bonner and Simmons most nights? But, for the first game, as Bonner has been useful in the past against OKC, I wonder which of Butler or Boban will be inactive.

Based on need, the 2 players likely active on the bench would be Marjanovic and McCallum. I don't know what Pop has in store for Butler and Bonner. Simmons will likely do the same thing that KA did last year.

Kawhitstorm
10-24-2015, 06:12 AM
I actually think Bonner will start some games this season lol when LMA is resting, expect Bonner to play. I wish the Spurs would bring in another defensive wing instead of keeping Bonner.

Which defensive wing is available out there that's better than Simmons? OKC starts an unplayable wing defender (Roberson) b/c there aren't too many NBA quality wing defenders. Tony Allen was forced out of the rotation despite being an All-NBA 1st team defender b/c he can't shoot, then you have shooters (Morrow) who don't get minutes b/c they can't play defense.

ceperez
10-24-2015, 06:29 AM
Which defensive wing is available out there that's better than Simmons? OKC starts an unplayable wing defender (Roberson) b/c there aren't too many NBA quality wing defenders. Tony Allen was forced out of the rotation despite being an All-NBA 1st team defender b/c he can't shoot, then you have shooters (Morrow) who don't get minutes b/c they can't play defense.

Just watching the Rockets game and seeing how Beverly was making those 3 point shots makes it obviously important to have defensive wing players with quickness and length.

On the other end, Simmons has to work on his shot. The only thing going for him vs Tony Allen in offense is that he's a better drive and kick player. I think though that Spurs will figure out how best to use Simmons even if he's not an elite shooter.

DPG21920
10-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Just watching the Rockets game and seeing how Beverly was making those 3 point shots makes it obviously important to have defensive wing players with quickness and length.

On the other end, Simmons has to work on his shot. The only thing going for him vs Tony Allen in offense is that he's a better drive and kick player. I think though that Spurs will figure out how best to use Simmons even if he's not an elite shooter.

Thats the problem with Simmons though (and I like Simmons). With his shot not showing any sort of consistency at his age, his defense is no where near a Tony Allen. I really like Simmons but at his age with him not already being a polished defender and not already having a good shot, his value has to be in ball handling/driving/passing. Hope he can keep working and make some improvements in the other areas over the next year or two or I don't see him sticking.

Kawhitstorm
10-24-2015, 07:05 AM

Beverley was making those shots when Kawhi/Danny were also in the game. They gave him those shots b/c they had to collapse when Harden drove to prevent a layup. Their whole offense is designed on driving & kick out to 3 point shooters thus if Harden is getting into the paint & the 3 point shooter are making their shots then it's going to be a long night since it's either layups, dunks, 3s or 2 free throws. It's not like Beverley was making shots off the dribble ala Curry, Boban can guard him out on the 3 point line if they want to run him off the 3 points line & concede layups.

ceperez
10-24-2015, 07:16 AM
Beverley was making those shots when Kawhi/Danny were also in the game. They gave him those shots b/c they had to collapse when Harden drove to prevent a layup. Their whole offense is designed on driving & kick out to 3 point shooters thus if Harden is getting into the paint & the 3 point shooter are making their shots then it's going to be a long night since it's either layups, dunks, 3s or 2 free throws. It's not like Beverley was making shots off the dribble ala Curry, Boban can guard him out on the 3 point line if they want to run him off the 3 points line & concede layups.

This is the real concern, Spurs can score with any 12 players they have on the team, but can they shut down an opponent like the Rockets? Those wings have to be defended. Leonard on Harden with Green and Simmons defending the wings.

Gladney to see you
10-24-2015, 07:16 AM
Hardly a victory...he looks horrible.

SpursFan86
10-24-2015, 09:24 AM

Do you expect all 15 players on the roster to be all-stars? Butler is the 5th wing behind Green/Kawhi/Manu/KA...he's fine for that role. Besides, he looked far from horrible throughout the preseason.

AFBlue
10-24-2015, 09:57 AM
Probably a better all-around player than the Centerpiece, and most importantly he's not being asked to take on that role. Solid pickup for the 12-15 man.

TheGreatYacht
10-24-2015, 10:46 AM
If someone could post his IG post

ceperez
10-24-2015, 10:55 AM
Probably a better all-around player than the Centerpiece, and most importantly he's not being asked to take on that role. Solid pickup for the 12-15 man.

Absolutely better than the centerpiece.

Gladney to see you
10-24-2015, 11:13 AM
He made 2 shots after the first game...correct. He was bricklaying. I'd only keep him if you had an expectation...I'd rather develop someone rather than keep him. BUT I guess they have no confidence that we can stay healthy. Just don't like so many old guys.

NASpurs
10-24-2015, 11:21 AM
He made 2 shots after the first game...correct. He was bricklaying. I'd only keep him if you had an expectation...I'd rather develop someone rather than keep him. BUT I guess they have no confidence that we can stay healthy. Just don't like so many old guys.

Kyle Anderson, Jonathon Simmons and Ray McCallum... the Spurs have enough project guys.

KL2
10-24-2015, 11:32 AM

Butler has been solid so far. Plays within the Spurs' system not forcing anything, makes the right passes, doesn't make many mistakes on both sides of the ball, a proven NBA vet and he's extremely cheap. His shot is off but it should recover after some time, once that happens it'll basically be like having a better defensive, less talented 3pt shooting Belinelli in Butler.

Butler was solid for the Wiz the 1st half of last year, however I heard they relied too much on him and his legs eventually gave out causing his shooting to suffer badly. He was shooting 42% from 3 pre all star, and just 34% post all star as the season progressed. He was getting up in these clips from last year (that dunk on Ibaka :wow), no reason why he can't revive his career again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWdbU-B7iVo

SpursBig3s
10-24-2015, 12:13 PM

Good point. I agree, take the lesser evil

jjktkk
10-24-2015, 12:16 PM
h. Plus

Those "old guys" help win championships. Spurs have a nice balance of youth and experience. Plus Pop is an master at managing older player's minutes. No worries.

SAGirl
10-24-2015, 12:18 PM
This is the real concern, Spurs can score with any 12 players they have on the team, but can they shut down an opponent like the Rockets? Those wings have to be defended. Leonard on Harden with Green and Simmons defending the wings.
Leonard was on Ariza, Danny on Harden, for most of the game if I remember correctly.

SAGirl
10-24-2015, 12:19 PM
Do you expect all 15 players on the roster to be all-stars? Butler is the 5th wing behind Green/Kawhi/Manu/KA...he's fine for that role. Besides, he looked far from horrible throughout the preseason.
and you are forgetting Simmons. Butler was used mostly as a 4 in small ball.

All Mighty Janitor
10-24-2015, 12:19 PM
good. williams literally doesnt do anything

I liked Reggie. Sometimes I didn't seem like he knew what he was doing, but he shot the 3 well, could attack close-outs and could stay in front of his man. A solid, if unspectacular, backup. That is just me relying on the eye test though; I haven't looked at any advanced stats.

TheDoctor
10-24-2015, 12:22 PM
...and I think he's got a few shots and moments left in him.

Nope he doesn't.

spurraider21
10-24-2015, 12:34 PM
I liked Reggie. Sometimes I didn't seem like he knew what he was doing, but he shot the 3 well, could attack close-outs and could stay in front of his man. A solid, if unspectacular, backup. That is just me relying on the eye test though; I haven't looked at any advanced stats.
dont know what this assertion is based on. he's been a terrible 3 point shooter for the past several seasons

cd98
10-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Spurs have liked Butler for a number of years. They jumped on him when he was available this summer. He has looked up and down during the preseason, but I think yesterday was his best all-around game. He earned his roster spot.

phxspurfan
10-24-2015, 01:08 PM

what the random

phxspurfan
10-24-2015, 01:11 PM
no problem with a veteran wing who has played with LeBron. Give us some insight.

DrunkTXLabrat
10-24-2015, 01:25 PM

stop being a spurs fan.

DrunkTXLabrat
10-24-2015, 01:33 PM

i suggest you focus on the timberwolves. they're a team who's roster moves make sense. also, the added bonus of a pending told you so moment. when kg lays a big steamy cherry on top of this whole hot fudge richard jefferson season sundae.

Brian Windhorst
10-24-2015, 01:59 PM
:tu this guy's good. He'll give us 20 solid minutes on nights when we rest guys, and most importantly, can guard 2 positions well. Sad for Williams, but he never looked significantly better than the garbage time guys on any other team. Most importantly, I think it's good to have character guys like Butler & West around. Good influence on Kawhi, Anderson, and the young guys.

My only problem is that it makes Bonner's actual skillset 100% redundant.

All Mighty Janitor
10-24-2015, 02:37 PM
dont know what this assertion is based on. he's been a terrible 3 point shooter for the past several seasons
NVM, you're right. I must have seen his FG% and assumed it was his 3p%. :lol Good riddance.

Spurtacular
10-24-2015, 03:47 PM
Reggie sucked his entire tenure. Rasual can give good games; but I don't consider him a good pick-up.

Kawhitstorm
10-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Reggie sucked his entire tenure. Rasual can give good games; but I don't consider him a good pick-up.

You consider a dyke as a good pick-up

hooperflash
10-24-2015, 07:14 PM
If someone could post his IG post

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/12188062_1149808151700750_6173674575768064234_o.jp g?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

TheGreatYacht
10-24-2015, 07:25 PM
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/12188062_1149808151700750_6173674575768064234_o.jp g?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Kawhitstorm
10-24-2015, 07:27 PM

Beverley is a mothafuckin' defensive point guard who is no better than CoJo, there is no need to put a wing defender on him whatsoever. Teams are going to dare him to beat them but if he makes his shots you just tip you hat & take the L. The Rockets are almost unbeatable when they are making their 3s & you saw how the Clippers lead evaporated in Gm 6 when Josh Smith was strockin' it like Peja.

Spurtacular
10-24-2015, 08:02 PM
Rasual is the next Daye.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2015, 08:03 PM
Mormon rage.

SpursFan86
10-24-2015, 08:15 PM
If Butler can give us ~10 mpg at the level he played at last year in Washington, it'll be a pretty solid pickup.

Chinook
10-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Rasual is the next Daye.

Jimmer is a poor man's De Colo, though. So when you look at it that way, I guess I could understand where you're coming from.

Chinook
10-24-2015, 09:09 PM
If Butler can give us ~10 mpg at the level he played at last year in Washington, it'll be a pretty solid pickup.

Butler shouldn't see any time. The Spurs have 10 guys who are going to get fewer minutes than they should. They'll only need to play him if someone get hurt. And even then, only because Pop really wants to keep minutes down. Anderson looking so good is going to marginalize West as it is.

tholdren
10-24-2015, 10:12 PM
Thats the problem with Simmons though (and I like Simmons). With his shot not showing any sort of consistency at his age, his defense is no where near a Tony Allen. I really like Simmons but at his age with him not already being a polished defender and not already having a good shot, his value has to be in ball handling/driving/passing. Hope he can keep working and make some improvements in the other areas over the next year or two or I don't see him sticking.

It's not his shot. It's his consistent out of control play.

playbonner15
10-24-2015, 10:45 PM
Heard from my sauces that Sul is already adapting better than West and Aldridge in practice. He plays calm and confident and I also think he could be a good role model for Kawhi, Green, SlowMo. Im a Bonner supporter and its okay for me if he replaces Matty in the 2nd/3rd lineup. Butler is still fast and can still make shots. Good thing he chose the Spurs

cd98
10-24-2015, 11:34 PM
I think he gets his minutes when starters and rotation guys are getting the night off.

cd98
10-24-2015, 11:37 PM
Rasual is the next Daye.

No. Butler has stuck in this league and carved out a career. Daye didn't. You need to stop being depressed about Jimmer. A stretch 3/4 is more valuable for the Spurs. I'd bet that the minute Butler agreed to come to training camp, the Spurs wanted him to make the roster. They've liked him for years.

SpursFan86
10-24-2015, 11:43 PM
Butler shouldn't see any time. The Spurs have 10 guys who are going to get fewer minutes than they should. They'll only need to play him if someone get hurt. And even then, only because Pop really wants to keep minutes down. Anderson looking so good is going to marginalize West as it is.

That's true. I just kind of picture him filling Bonner's role from last year (played in 70 games, a little over 10 mpg), but I guess with the added depth at the 4/5 + KA looking like a competent NBA player, there simply won't be enough minutes to go around.

RayTdropout
10-24-2015, 11:43 PM
Jimmer was junkbox. Butler lot beter. Good job front office

Sean Cagney
10-25-2015, 12:28 AM

Most of us can only wish man, that guy is like a cock roach and he is never going away until he retires. If he wants to play he is guaranteed a spot.

tholdren
10-25-2015, 02:31 PM
Jimmer is a poor man's De Colo, though. So when you look at it that way, I guess I could understand where you're coming from.
not really. Jimmer is a rich mans Ricky Rubio

Dex
10-25-2015, 03:26 PM
Definitely the right move in my opinion. Congrats to Butler. That fills the hungry vet role ala Barry, Finley, Big Dog, Beli, etc...

Championship is coming. :tu

Spurtacular
10-25-2015, 04:35 PM
No. Butler has stuck in this league and carved out a career. Daye didn't. You need to stop being depressed about Jimmer. A stretch 3/4 is more valuable for the Spurs. I'd bet that the minute Butler agreed to come to training camp, the Spurs wanted him to make the roster. They've liked him for years.

We're not talking about old Butler; we're talking about old old Butler. Dude's wheels are due to fall off. His defense is suspect; and he often doesn't have his legs on his shots. Spurs had someone who could make FTs at the end of games and who could find his way into the system w/o the physical duress in Jimmer.

Spurtacular
10-25-2015, 04:47 PM

Jimmer would've paid huge dividends. Spurs made a bad decision. They must not be very confident in Simmons/Anderson to add Butler.

Chinook
10-25-2015, 05:01 PM
Jimmer would've paid huge dividends. Spurs made a bad decision. They must not be very confident in Simmons/Anderson to add Butler.

Nothing to do with Simmons. Butler was better than Jimmer. Hell, Reggie Williams was better than Jimmer. If Fredette can have a De Colo-like career overseas, it would be a huge win for him.

ChumpDumper
10-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Jimmer would've paid huge dividends. Spurs made a bad decision. They must not be very confident in Simmons/Anderson to add Butler.They must've had zero confidence in Jimmer if they cut him.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-25-2015, 06:27 PM
I'm too pissed and lazy to read above, but whoever it was that said "Butler is the next Daye" is a fucking moron.

Spurtacular
10-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Nothing to do with Simmons. Butler was better than Jimmer. Hell, Reggie Williams was better than Jimmer. If Fredette can have a De Colo-like career overseas, it would be a huge win for him.

Nah.

callo1
10-26-2015, 12:54 AM
Rasual is going to get minutes. The guy still has some juice left in his legs, and is Horryesque when it comes to taking big shots. I am very excited to have this guy on the Spurs.

I think he and Manu/Patty have the ability to have some nice moments on the court, kind of like he and Wall did last year. He isn't just a three point shooter, sure, that is the main part of his game, but he will still surprise defenders with the ability to put the ball down on the floor and get to the rack.

You know how much Pop loves having players that can hit the corner 3, well he can certainly do that, but he also can hit that 45 degree angle 3 ball as well.

I see Butler essentially forcing Pop to play him because of his ability to shoot, and due to his veteran basketball IQ.

This guy is hungry, and he still has the ability to go out and make plays.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-26-2015, 07:11 AM
No surprise Butler made the team after Simmons showing in the preseason.

Butler is an insurance policy. Manu IS GOING TO miss games just because of rest. This also insures that if Kawhi goes down for spell, the Spurs have a reliable backup to take minutes.

Manu showed against Houston he can still play at a high level. Problem last year, Manu had to play like 30 minutes a night for a good month and half as Mills, Beli and Kawhi all were out with injures. By the time the playoffs came around, Manu didn't have any juice left in the tank.

Simmons was suppose to be the guy. But he still has a way to go to solidify his game. And I don't know if people notice, but Butler was instructing Simmons quite a bit in the 4th quarter of the Rockets game. His veteran leadership is something the Spurs can use especially on instructing the younger guys on how to play D, which he was doing a lot of last game.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-26-2015, 09:43 AM
No surprise Butler made the team after Simmons showing in the preseason.

Butler is an insurance policy. Manu IS GOING TO miss games just because of rest. This also insures that if Kawhi goes down for spell, the Spurs have a reliable backup to take minutes.

Manu showed against Houston he can still play at a high level. Problem last year, Manu had to play like 30 minutes a night for a good month and half as Mills, Beli and Kawhi all were out with injures. By the time the playoffs came around, Manu didn't have any juice left in the tank.

Simmons was suppose to be the guy. But he still has a way to go to solidify his game. And I don't know if people notice, but Butler was instructing Simmons quite a bit in the 4th quarter of the Rockets game. His veteran leadership is something the Spurs can use especially on instructing the younger guys on how to play D, which he was doing a lot of last game.
Simmons is too young; we need a 4th wing with veteran experience and deadeye shooting, and Butler brings that.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-26-2015, 10:06 AM
Simmons is too young; we need a 4th wing with veteran experience and deadeye shooting, and Butler brings that.

I know there were a lot of people saying Simmons can be Manu's replacement. Truth is, there will never be another Manu. But Simmons can fill the role nevertheless.

But the difference b/n Manu and Simmons when they first joined the SPurs. Manu already won 2 Italian league championships, 2x MVP, won a Euroleague Championship and was the MVP. Manu was already use to big time play. Simmons just had two years of D-league play under his belt.

The Guy is gifted athletically. He already draws a double team every time he drives. But he needs to learn to pass out of those double teams. Teams collapse much faster in the NBA than the D-League and that is just one of many things Simmons is having to adjust to.

But I think he will come around. It will probably take this whole season for him TBH.

Dex
10-26-2015, 11:13 AM