PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard and Steph Curry will change the Media..

JohnnyMax
10-25-2015, 08:30 PM
The Media has slowly but surely has changed..We're getting more and more writers who rely on multiple methods to really understand the value and importance of a single player to their respective team. I can't remember where it started, but I recall the mid 00's filled with writers that were so enormed with raw statistical data..more people are seeing "empty stats"..It's such a joy to know that many young writers and guns nowadys rely on multiple statistical methods to go along with eye test to undestand player value...We need more Zach lowe and ****...srs

Some things that would have been different 10 years ago

- I am fairly positive that if curry played in 04, he probably wouldn't have won the MVP award...
- No one would be talking about Draymond Green as a top 35 player at worst in the league
- Demarcus Cousins would be considered a top 5 player in the league...Thankfully other Numerical data outside of RAW stats suggest he's questionable as a top 12 player
- Kawhi Leonard wouldn't be considered a top 20 player in the league.

But the winds are blowing in a different direction...As the 12 year olds of today see more and more reliance on advanced stats and other formulas to value a player..they will grow up consistently using these methods.

I am fairly positive 10 years from now...PPG would be reduced significantly in terms of value..not saying someone averaging 17ppg will ever be considered a superstar...

But I think 20 years from now with the birth of two other newer sports fans generations..the 1 and 12 year olds today growing as adults...they would have a different perspective of the game and probably a better understanding...

YGWHI
10-25-2015, 08:58 PM
Kawhi Leonard wouldn't be considered a top 10 player in the league.
Fixed...at least those young writers of ESPN and SI said that. Remember? "Zach Lowe joins Bill Simmons to discuss Anthony Davis, the MVP race, and how Kawhi is looking like a top-10 player"

SPURt
10-25-2015, 09:20 PM
Why do you assume Curry couldn't win an MVP when Nash won two in a row back then pioneering the style of play that gave birth to today's NBA? Plus Curry is one of the best shooters ever, that transcends generations.

Ditto with Kawhi, you say he wouldn't be valued top 20 then explain nothing. I do agree about Boogie, but we all know the center position barely exists in today's NBA.

K...
10-25-2015, 09:27 PM
You know at some point, you'd acknowledge that this is entertainment? I mean, I don't watch for the stats. Now there is a value to teams authentically crafting team play there's a reason we don't watch the wnba despite a general understanding that those girls play basketball at a decent level.

I guess I'm just saying this..... I don't think advance stats are going to make the NBA more popular. The rules changes favoring guards, international style players, changes in the TV landscape are all bigger factors. Guys like Zach Lowe are also great writers. I'll take great shallow writers over smart bad ones.

Brian Windhorst
10-25-2015, 10:54 PM
Advanced stats are cool and all, but some writers are using them as a straight-up crutch these days. Gotta get a paycheck? Write about how LMA won't fit in with the Spurs and include a few shot charts from Portland's offense vs San Antonio's. Never mind that one of those offenses had LMA, and one didn't. Clearly the shot selection being different means it will be very difficult for LMA to adjust.

Zach Lowe is basically the only writer in the game right now who I think strikes an appropriate balance between eye-test game footage and advanced stats.