PDA

View Full Version : Does OKC consider SA a rival?

sharkenleo
10-26-2015, 03:58 PM
Personally, I think so since they always seem to turn it up against us. And it makes sense after so many great playoff series.

Dex
10-26-2015, 04:00 PM
Personally, I think so since they always seem to turn it up against us. And it makes sense after so many great playoff series.

Most definitely...especially since our two last playoff series have been hotly contested and were both for Finals bids.

I'd say Spurs biggest current rivals are:

1. OKC
2. Memphis
3. Clippers
4. Dallas (would be higher if they hadn't fallen off)
5. Rockets ('95 still hurts :cry)

SpursforSix
10-26-2015, 04:02 PM
OKC might. But I doubt SA considers OKC a rival. At least in the same way that LA or Dallas used to be.

Kidd K
10-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Of course they do. Aside from their bullshit ref-fixed win over SA in 2012 that they completely didn't deserve, they've pretty much just gotten curb-stomped by the Spurs and watched the Spurs be a more successful team the entire time OKC has been "good" with Durant/Westbrook/Harden/Ibaka. Of course, I still believe and will always contend that not paying Harden is and will always be their franchise's biggest mistake. Incredibly stupid move that I made fun of the moment I heard about it.

Harden was a huge reason they were so deadly. They will never get back to that level unless they fluke a great late 1st round sleeper or quality vets sign for an MLE or something to boost their team back to that top tier elite level.

The moment they traded Harden, I knew they wouldn't be winning a title.

BatManu20
10-26-2015, 04:08 PM
Yea def. The Spurs are basically every decent-to-successful team's rival in the West.

HOU, OKC, DAL, PHX, LAC, etc. LAL too even though they're trash right now.

K...
10-26-2015, 04:22 PM
Ive never met a real OKC fan. Basically, i refuse to believe they exist. i imagine OK is all OU and boone pickens and their interest in Basketball is secondary.

Lostwingman
10-26-2015, 04:24 PM
Yea def. The Spurs are basically every decent-to-successful team's rival in the West.

HOU, OKC, DAL, PHX, LAC, etc. LAL too even though they're trash right now.
Basically this. It's a consequence of being consistently good for so long that just about every decent franchise in the West has lost at least a series or two against us.

SpursforSix
10-26-2015, 04:32 PM
Basically this. It's a consequence of being consistently good for so long that just about every decent franchise in the West has lost at least a series or two against us.

I think a true rivalry has to be more than one or two series. And it needs to last beyond a couple of years.
Spurs / Lakers was a true rivalry when they were the top 2 teams in the NBA and one of them was in the Finals 7 years in a row.
Spurs / Mavs with the close proximity and always fighting it out in the division and playoffs.

Cry Havoc
10-26-2015, 04:37 PM
OKC isn't old enough to have any legitimate rivals, but to them we're probably the closest thing they have.

They aren't our rivals, though. They haven't won anything. Being competitive does not equal a rivalry. Now, if we play each other this year in the playoffs, it would start to qualify as a possible rivalry.

Cry Havoc
10-26-2015, 04:37 PM
I think a true rivalry has to be more than one or two series. And it needs to last beyond a couple of years.
Spurs / Lakers was a true rivalry when they were the top 2 teams in the NBA and one of them was in the Finals 7 years in a row.
Spurs / Mavs with the close proximity and always fighting it out in the division and playoffs.

Suns COULD be a rivalry as well but it was borderline at best IMO.

Kawhitstorm
10-26-2015, 04:38 PM
Spurs fans hate OKC more than the other way around. OKC has a nucleus that can contended for the next 6 years but Spurs fans were salty about 2012 b/c it felt like a changing of the guard. That might change if OKC loses to the Spurs & KD bolts town during free agency.

Lostwingman
10-26-2015, 04:40 PM

True but I bet Suns fans feel like they're a rival to us despite being shit the last few years. Pretty much all a legacy of the previous decade.

SpursforSix
10-26-2015, 04:46 PM
Suns COULD be a rivalry as well but it was borderline at best IMO.

That's true. Some good series played between those two. And of course the Nash incident probably still rubs the Suns' fans. But yeah...a step down from LA and Dallas I think.

BillMc
10-26-2015, 04:59 PM
Most definitely...especially since our two last playoff series have been hotly contested and were both for Finals bids.

I'd say Spurs biggest current rivals are:

1. OKC
2. Memphis
3. Clippers
4. Dallas (would be higher if they hadn't fallen off)
5. Rockets ('95 still hurts :cry)

Heat too, but it's been diminished since LeBron left.

Dex
10-26-2015, 05:02 PM
OKC isn't old enough to have any legitimate rivals, but to them we're probably the closest thing they have.

They aren't our rivals, though. They haven't won anything. Being competitive does not equal a rivalry. Now, if we play each other this year in the playoffs, it would start to qualify as a possible rivalry.

Idunno...I consider the loss in 2012 and the win in 2014 a pretty good rivalry starter. Combine that with the fact that both teams have been in "contender" status for the past few years and that there is certainly no love lost between the two teams...personally, I'd say that makes for a pretty good rivalry.

Maybe not up to the likes of the rivalries the Spurs shared with the Lakers, Mavs, and Suns during the early 00's, but I still get pretty riled up anytime the Thunder are on the docket.

Big Dog
10-26-2015, 05:04 PM
Ive never met a real OKC fan. Basically, i refuse to believe they exist. i imagine OK is all OU and boone pickens and their interest in Basketball is secondary.
Shut up faggot

JohnnyMax
10-26-2015, 05:27 PM
Spurs fear OKC
OKC fears Lebron
Lebron fears the Spurs

BillMc
10-26-2015, 05:33 PM
Spurs fear OKC
OKC fears Lebron
Lebron fears the Spurs

Truth.

Escawun3
10-26-2015, 05:40 PM
Well, in the offseason Durant said in Spain that Memphis and San Antonio are the thoughest teams they have played.. and the more satisfaction they had when they have won (sorry for my english) http://www.nbamaniacs.com/entrevistas/entrevista-exclusiva-a-kevin-durant-grizzlies-y-spurs-son-rivales-muy-duros/

spurs10
10-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Spurs fans hate OKC more than the other way around. OKC has a nucleus that can contended for the next 6 years but Spurs fans were salty about 2012 b/c it felt like a changing of the guard. That might change if OKC loses to the Spurs & KD bolts town during free agency. OKC did lose to the Spurs and Durant may as well have gone to another team last year.

lmbebo
10-26-2015, 06:23 PM
I'm sure OKC doesn't consider the Spurs as Rivals, They think we aren't as good as them....

SPURt
10-26-2015, 06:43 PM
It's amazing how Utah is no longer on our radars, I will always enjoy the moment when the Jazz are mathematically out of the playoffs.

Certain players really get under my skin and at the top of the list are Harden and Westbrook. OKC would be the team I consider the biggest rival, but that's because they have the most talented duo (when healthy) in the NBA with Durant and Westbrook.

Silver&Black
10-26-2015, 07:15 PM
I can't speak for OKC fans....

But, I certainly consider them as our biggest rival. Curious to see how their new coach will work out tbh.

Old School 44
10-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Yes I think so. Sadly, it may be short-lived, anything but a title for OkC and KD's gone. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but it would be nice to see OkC in the playoffs and have the Spurs basically end Durant's run with OkC, sort of like LeBron in Miami.

spursistan
10-26-2015, 08:12 PM
We have been so good for so long that we almost engaged have half the conference teams in some kind of rivalry during the Tim Duncan era ..some of them are probably over due to those franchises falling off from contention..i would put the time span..

1- Lakers (1998-2013)
2- Mavericks (2003-2014)
3- Suns (2000-2010)
4-Memphis (2011- till now)
5- OKC (2012-til now)
6-Warriors (2013- till now)

I think Golden State has the potential to emerge our biggest one in near future..we own them historically,but that team has young core and elite coaching..

james evans
10-26-2015, 08:17 PM
Of course they do. Aside from their bullshit ref-fixed win over SA in 2012 that they completely didn't deserve, they've pretty much just gotten curb-stomped by the Spurs and watched the Spurs be a more successful team the entire time OKC has been "good" with Durant/Westbrook/Harden/Ibaka. Of course, I still believe and will always contend that not paying Harden is and will always be their franchise's biggest mistake. Incredibly stupid move that I made fun of the moment I heard about it.

Harden was a huge reason they were so deadly. They will never get back to that level unless they fluke a great late 1st round sleeper or quality vets sign for an MLE or something to boost their team back to that top tier elite level.

The moment they traded Harden, I knew they wouldn't be winning a title.
exactly. I'm still pissed about that 2012 bullshit.

spurs10
10-26-2015, 08:21 PM
I'm sure OKC doesn't consider the Spurs as Rivals, They think we aren't as good as them.... Well success has something to say about that.

Dex
10-26-2015, 08:23 PM
We have been so good for so long that we almost engaged have half the conference teams in some kind of rivalry during the Tim Duncan era ..some of them are probably over due to those franchises falling off from contention..i would put the time span..

1- Lakers (1998-2013)
2- Mavericks (2003-2014)
3- Suns (2000-2010)
4-Memphis (2011- till now)
5- OKC (2012-til now)
6-Warriors (2013- till now)

I think Golden State has the potential to emerge our biggest one in near future..we own them historically,but that team has young core and elite coaching..

Even tho Warriors are defending champs...I can't peg them as rivals. Roadblocks, perhaps...but there is no bad blood to hold against them.

A rivalry doesn't start until both teams have eliminated each other, imo. Lakers, Suns, Mavericks, Grizzlies, Thunder...those are rivalries. Rockets and Clippers both have one coming.

10-26-2015, 08:24 PM
I can't speak for OKC fans....

But, I certainly consider them as our biggest rival. Curious to see how their new coach will work out tbh.

Doesn't look good so far. Looks just like they do whatever they want still, Donavon is just a new coach to bully.

10-26-2015, 08:25 PM
Of course they do. Aside from their bullshit ref-fixed win over SA in 2012 that they completely didn't deserve, they've pretty much just gotten curb-stomped by the Spurs :lmao what?

Kawhitstorm
10-26-2015, 08:43 PM
A rivalry doesn't start until both teams have eliminated each other, imo. Lakers, Suns, Mavericks, Grizzlies, Thunder...those are rivalries. Rockets and Clippers both have one coming.

Last I checked the Clippers did eliminate the Spurs in 2015 in cruel fashion after the Spurs swept them in 2013; both teams had the same nucleus of players in 2013 & 2015.

Dex
10-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Last I checked the Clippers did eliminate the Spurs in 2015 in cruel fashion after the Spurs swept them in 2013; both teams had the same nucleus of players in 2013 & 2015.

Good call.

Almost forgot about that 2013 series :lol

Silver&Black
10-26-2015, 09:00 PM
Doesn't look good so far. Looks just like they do whatever they want still, Donavon is just a new coach to bully.

From a media perspective:

OKC has a good year = Durant and Westbrook are GOATs
OKC has a bad year = It was a mistake to hire a college coach

tmtcsc
10-26-2015, 09:29 PM
I suspect lots of teams like to consider SA a rival. 5 time Champion that shat over many on the way to the top. The bigger question is, who do the Spurs consider a "rival"? Once upon a time it was the Jazz and the Lakers. --> Because they actually beat the Spurs pretty regularly at one time. Now? Not so sure. It sure as hell aint the Clippers. There are a handful of teams that rose up and beat the Spurs - Okc, Memphis and Clippers but none of them did so consistently. Spurs went back to the drawing board and figured how to dismantle them.

sasaint
10-26-2015, 09:40 PM
I suspect lots of teams like to consider SA a rival. 5 time Champion that shat over many on the way to the top. The bigger question is, who do the Spurs consider a "rival"? Once upon a time it was the Jazz and the Lakers. --> Because they actually beat the Spurs pretty regularly at one time. Now? Not so sure. It sure as hell aint the Clippers. There are a handful of teams that rose up and beat the Spurs - Okc, Memphis and Clippers but none of them did so consistently. Spurs went back to the drawing board and figured how to dismantle them.

Exactly! Thread is titled backwards. Wannabes are not in a position to regard perennial winners and 5-time champs as rivals.

10-26-2015, 10:01 PM
From a media perspective:

OKC has a good year = Durant and Westbrook are GOATs
OKC has a bad year = It was a mistake to hire a college coach

Yup. That rookie coach in Chicago knows what he's doing though. Okc got the wrong guy.

weeks
10-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Good call.

Almost forgot about that 2013 series :lol
huh? we played Lakers, GS, Grizz, Heat in 2013
the clips were in 2012, iirc. jazz to clips to thunder

Spurtacular
10-26-2015, 10:23 PM
Durant will finish the season on the shelf. I ain't worried about OKC, tbh.

TheDoctor
10-26-2015, 10:45 PM

It could be nice to beat them again in the Playoffs but it won't be the same without M.Barnes tbh. But beating that douche in a MEM series will feel great.

SAGirl
10-26-2015, 10:59 PM
Idunno...I consider the loss in 2012 and the win in 2014 a pretty good rivalry starter. Combine that with the fact that both teams have been in "contender" status for the past few years and that there is certainly no love lost between the two teams...personally, I'd say that makes for a pretty good rivalry.

Maybe not up to the likes of the rivalries the Spurs shared with the Lakers, Mavs, and Suns during the early 00's, but I still get pretty riled up anytime the Thunder are on the docket.
It's a kind of more modern rivalry with KD famously proclaiming Kawhi a "system player" in a demeaning fashion after he won the finals MVP. Bet KD bit his tongue when another "system player" in Iguodala won it this past season. Still KD is salty about 2014.

SAGirl
10-26-2015, 11:09 PM
and they have guys that are still young enough to still be adding things to their game and get better. They will be around in one form or another for a long time. But the Spurs have done well against them in the past. There are no sour moments like the 2012 loss to OKC.

Kidd K
10-27-2015, 02:54 AM
:lmao what?

Did you not watch that series? Just how much of a Johnny-come-lately band wagoner are you exactly?

spurs10
10-27-2015, 04:56 AM
Did you not watch that series? Just how much of a Johnny-come-lately band wagoner are you exactly? Some people have a hard time grasping how our success completely and absolutely dwarfs OKC. Yeah they look good on paper and win games, but they don't have what the Spurs have by a long shot. We are a historic team that has the 'ships to back it up. We have owned them and they are rightly obsessed with chasing our coat tails ...

MilesTeg
10-27-2015, 05:19 AM
SA is the dominant basketball team. OKC is dominant when it comes to flopping, influencing the refs and media attention. Unfortunately, in 2015 that can get you far...

10-27-2015, 12:15 PM
Did you not watch that series? Just how much of a Johnny-come-lately band wagoner are you exactly?

Correct me if im wrong but they backdoor swept us then routinely kicked our until that 2014 playoff series. And despite it only going six games it was a very competitive series.

10-27-2015, 12:17 PM
Some people have a hard time grasping how our success completely and absolutely dwarfs OKC. Yeah they look good on paper and win games, but they don't have what the Spurs have by a long shot. We are a historic team that has the 'ships to back it up. We have owned them and they are rightly obsessed with chasing our coat tails ...

This isn't about what team has been more successful, it's about head two head. He claimed that we curb stomped okc every year outside of that one 2012 playoff series. That's not true at all. The only team that has beat us more in that time span are maybe the rockets.

Kidd K
10-28-2015, 06:47 AM
Correct me if im wrong but they backdoor swept us then routinely kicked our until that 2014 playoff series. And despite it only going six games it was a very competitive series.

This isn't about what team has been more successful, it's about head two head. He claimed that we curb stomped okc every year outside of that one 2012 playoff series. That's not true at all. The only team that has beat us more in that time span are maybe the rockets.

They backdoor swept us because of extremely bogus officiating that massively favored OKC. Not just the nearly dozen clear goaltends Ibaka was allowed to get away with, but the several dozen moving screens Ibaka and Perkins were constantly setting and almost never getting called for, the fact that any grazing contact by us resulted in a foul while they were allowed to play physically, the loose balls going out of bounds off OKC yet somehow it's OKC's ball, but also the phantom fouls that were being called on b2b2b possessions to give OKC 8-10 FTAs in 4-6 possessions in multiple games to keep them in the games.

Yeah, it was bullshit to the point you could predict when OKC was going to start getting a bunch of FTAs (literally any time they were cold and SA's lead was growing too big).

And that is the only time OKC "beat us" in the playoffs.

2013: OKC did beat us twice. . .but Ginobili wasn't playing both times, and one was a b2b ending @ OKC which the NBA likes to do to SA for OKC. . .with Manu not playing.

2014: Spurs blew them out 3x in the playoffs. Once by 28, another by fucking 35. "Highly competitive" series where SA blew their doors off 3x. . .

2015: Spurs blew them out twice in reg season. Once by 25, once by 39.

The only thing "routine" is SA blowing out OKC when the entire Spurs team is present, and OKC failing to win many games unless it's @ OKC or the Spurs are playing shorthanded.

Proxy
10-28-2015, 01:24 PM

It seems a bit egotistical for us fans to claim that there isn't a rivalry between these teams because they don't meet whatever standards we invent, or because "we say so." Both teams get fired up for each other. It's been like that for years now, and in that, both teams have halted each other's finals bids. That's enough of a reason for me to see the rivalry as a legit thing.

SoonerSpur512
10-28-2015, 02:41 PM

Not true, the Thunder is very prominent up here. I would say local talk radio is about 50/40/10 on Thunder/OU/OSU discussion.

Cry Havoc
10-28-2015, 02:49 PM
It seems a bit egotistical for us fans to claim that there isn't a rivalry between these teams because they don't meet whatever standards we invent, or because "we say so." Both teams get fired up for each other. It's been like that for years now, and in that, both teams have halted each other's finals bids. That's enough of a reason for me to see the rivalry as a legit thing.

That's why I said this year might change it. We've only met in the playoffs twice. I don't see that as a rivalry. The 3rd time, though? Now we're talking.

Cry Havoc
10-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Not true, the Thunder is very prominent up here. I would say local talk radio is about 50/40/10 on Thunder/OU/OSU discussion.

Easy to do when your team is so young and has always been competitive. We'll see how many people show up after a couple of 30 win seasons.

TheCerebral1
10-28-2015, 04:59 PM
The real question is does San Antonio consider Oklahoma City our rival. Honestly, they haven't won a title yet. We've played in more NBA Finals than they in the last 5 years. They have the glitz and glamour of having two great players, but until they win a title, they aren't above if ever. Sorry...this is a false thread.