PDA

View Full Version : Great news, if true

DarrinS
10-27-2015, 11:26 AM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/10/26/morning-shootaround-oct-26-2/#parker

No. 3: Parker ready for new, reduced role for Spurs — The addition of All-Star help like LaMarcus Aldridge and the increased role of budding All-Stars like Kawhi Leonard could mean a new and reduced role for Tony Parker. And it’s a role Parker is prepared to embrace at this stage of his career. Jabari Young of the San Antonio Express-News details the changes on the horizon for one of the Spurs’ staples:

Days before the Spurs start their quest for championship No. 6, the 33-year-old Parker acknowledged his role is finally changing. No longer will he be relied to do so much on offense, instead passing that torch to Leonard and Aldridge.

“I understand my role is going to change,” said Parker. “I don’t need to score as much and I have to get LaMarcus and Kawhi (going). I know my role is changing, but I love it. The way that (Tim Duncan) changed towards Manu (Ginobili), and Manu changed towards me, it’s the same thing with me now.”

Parker echoed the words of Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich, who mentioned to the Express-News how the Spurs “equal opportunity offense” will now shift towards Aldridge and Leonard. Popovich was quick to point out that Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker won’t be forgotten, but things will change.

Let Parker tell it, he’s fine with taking a backseat.

“The last four or five years it was my job to be aggressive and score, but this year is totally different,” said Parker. “I have to be the engine in another way.”

Parker has led the Spurs in scoring four of the last five seasons, before Leonard took over last season averaging 16.5 points (Parker averaged 14.4).

Asked his feelings when the offense was transitioning to Ginobili and Parker, Duncan admitted the competitor in him resisted, and still does a bit, but added his unselfishness took over.
“As an individual you got to try not to fight it,” said Duncan, who is entering his 19th season. “We’re all competitors and we all want to do what we’ve always done. You have to understand what’s best for the team and I think we’re all here for that. It’s just about accepting that and finding your niche in your new role.”

TheGreatYacht
10-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Tony played like it in the preseason tbh. Alpha doing alpha things for the good of the team

SupremeGuy
10-27-2015, 11:48 AM
He should have started taking a back seat 2 years ago, but better late than never. Hopefully he doesn't play any worse than last year or we're fucked.

RD2191
10-27-2015, 11:52 AM
Actions speak louder than words. He said the same thing last year and proceeded to chuck away against the Clips. I'll believe it when I see it

ChumpDumper
10-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Here you guys go again....

SpursforSix
10-27-2015, 12:32 PM
"Ready for a reduced role". LOL.

SAGirl
10-27-2015, 12:44 PM
He stated this during an interview and seemed sincere, despite all the chuckles from non-fans. It's a process. Danny mentioned in an interview that Tony not having to put the scoring burden on his back would allow him to have more energy on defense. It wasn't something that was explored in depth, but it should help.

Being the PG, he cannot be entirely passive out there, he needs to set others up and an be aggressive if lanes created by others' gravity open up. If he's healthy, he should be fine TBH. If he's injured Pop is probably ready to let him recover, bc there are already two stars in the starting lineup and several other guys that can handle the basketball for stretches.

SuperCam
10-27-2015, 12:47 PM
Good to see the team is acknowledging that LMA is the undisputed Alpha, and for MVParker recognizing that he's needed to keep Kiwi from putting up bad numbers :tu

Horse
10-27-2015, 12:55 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/10/26/morning-shootaround-oct-26-2/#parker

I could see him with a career high assists and ultimately it would just help his game. The big 3 can sit back and let the young guns have step in when needed.

Chinook
10-27-2015, 01:01 PM
He stated this during an interview and seemed sincere, despite all the chuckles from non-fans. It's a process. Danny mentioned in an interview that Tony not having to put the scoring burden on his back would allow him to have more energy on defense. It wasn't something that was explored in depth, but it should help.

Being the PG, he cannot be entirely passive out there, he needs to set others up and an be aggressive if lanes created by others' gravity open up. If he's healthy, he should be fine TBH. If he's injured Pop is probably ready to let him recover, bc there are already two stars in the starting lineup and several other guys that can handle the basketball for stretches.

Yeah. Parker used to be a serviceable defender when he had to be. Hopefully, that comes back. In the very least, he needs to get tougher on that end so Pop can put him on bigger guys. And he needs to become a consistent spot-up shooter. All that said, he's still a more natural scorer than Kawhi. So he definitely should take what the defense gives. Even Duncan, whose torch was apparently passed long ago, had nights were he carries the team. Parker will be tasked to do the same thing at times.

DarrinS
10-27-2015, 01:45 PM
what about the pistons, darrin?

What about them?

SpursforSix
10-27-2015, 01:47 PM

Several?

SpursforSix
10-27-2015, 01:50 PM
I'd be interested to see what a line up with Manu and KA as the two guards would do.

SAGirl
10-27-2015, 01:53 PM
Several?
More than last year bc Patty wasn't healthy. There is a healthy Patty this year, plus Ray, and Manu. That is several. Presumably, you can dump some playmaking on Kawhi and Kyle too, to a lesser degree. Last year, w/o Patty/Ray (rook Kyle), Kawhi was injured too, it was a different scenario. Of course, RS comes along and everyone is subject to get injured in which case you have a crapshoot no matter what.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-27-2015, 01:53 PM
Several?

Manu, KA, Diaw, Ray, and Mills. I would say that is several.

RD2191
10-27-2015, 02:13 PM
"Injured":lol

SpursforSix
10-27-2015, 02:17 PM
More than last year bc Patty wasn't healthy. There is a healthy Patty this year, plus Ray, and Manu. That is several. Presumably, you can dump some playmaking on Kawhi and Kyle too, to a lesser degree. Last year, w/o Patty/Ray (rook Kyle), Kawhi was injured too, it was a different scenario. Of course, RS comes along and everyone is subject to get injured in which case you have a crapshoot no matter what.

Manu, KA, Diaw, Ray, and Mills. I would say that is several.

Depends on the situation I suppose but I don't want any of those guys handling the ball if the other team is playing tight D. Manu being the exception maybe. Bringing the ball up once in a while is one thing. But having to get up the floor and start the offense against a tight pressing defense is another. I think it's Manu and Mills and then a drop off.