PDA

View Full Version : NBA: What exactly has Anthony Davis done to deserve the defensive hype he's getting?

apalisoc_9
10-27-2015, 08:35 PM
I'm shocked with how so many people have him high on the Best defenders in the league list...srsly.

I don't see how he is better than Gobert or Gasol..

Why am being fed this BS?

10-27-2015, 08:43 PM
While he did anchor a bottom half defense, the blame isn't all on him. As an individual, he's a better shot blocker than Ibaka, can switch on the PnR like Gobert, and with his added weight he should be an improved post defender.

Kawhitstorm
10-27-2015, 10:24 PM
He's in the mold of Ibaka as a mobile weakside shot blocker. Mobile bigs are valuable nowadays b/c of all the smallball lineups. The Pels being shyt on D isn't his fault we all saw what happened to Chandler when he was w/ the Knicks.

Buddy Mignon
10-27-2015, 10:26 PM
I'm shocked with how so many people have him high on the Best defenders in the league list...srsly.

I don't see how he is better than Gobert or Gasol..

Why am being fed this BS?

You got some fucking nerve. They gave it to Kiwi when Green had more first place votes.

HarlemHeat37
10-27-2015, 10:33 PM
He's very overrated as a defender, been saying it since last year, tbh..it's a case of appearance clouding perception..

He is long, athletic and mobile, which automatically creates the impression that he's an elite defender..

You can blame others, but a team with Asik/Davis in the frontcourt shouldn't be getting destroyed by opposing bigs as much as they did, last season..

spurraider21
10-27-2015, 10:34 PM
he also gets the fantasy stats... games with 5 blocks 4 steals, etc

DPG21920
10-27-2015, 10:35 PM
You got some fucking nerve. They gave it to Kiwi when Green had more first place votes.

Well obviously first place votes aren't all that matters. However, most Spurs fans would have been fine w/ Green winning.

DPG21920
10-27-2015, 10:35 PM
He's very overrated as a defender, been saying it since last year, tbh..it's a case of appearance clouding perception..

He is long, athletic and mobile, which automatically creates the impression that he's an elite defender..

You can blame others, but a team with Asik/Davis in the frontcourt shouldn't be getting destroyed by opposing bigs as much as they did, last season..

It was shocking how bad that pair was together. With how good ASIK was before defensively, they should not have had that big of a "-" together.

Tuddy
10-27-2015, 10:36 PM
Not in Gobert/Gasol class defensively. neither is deandre

~O~
10-28-2015, 12:53 AM
New Orlean's has a back court that can't play defense and a third string point guard in ish smith starting. They were broken down rather effortlessly by championship team. The Pelican's don't have a all-star second to Davis. In other words, their team is still in progress.

Of course the weight was placed on Anthony Davis to perform tonight but he crumbled early and beyond.

TheGreatYacht
10-28-2015, 01:10 AM
Gobert has no Tony Allens on his team and the Jazz were still the best defensive team in the NBA last year....

This cuck gets every excuse in the book. Shit the bed today against a real defender as well tbqh. Scary to think GM's consider him and Deandre DPOY runner ups... But then again, these are the same people who max out Gilbert Arenas and Greg Monroe

apalisoc_9
10-28-2015, 01:11 AM
Gobert has no Tony Allens on his team and the Jazz were still the best defensive team in the NBA last year....

This cuck gets every excuse in the book. Shit the bed today against a real defender as well tbqh. Scary to think GM's consider him and Deandre DPOY runner ups... But then again, these are the same people who max out Gilbert Arenas and Greg Monroe

Exactly. Gobert backourt is hood, burke and burks :lol...

Kawhitstorm
10-28-2015, 01:12 AM

Kawhi bent over Draymond/Curry in the same game. There can be no argument who the better defender is when one is ripping the league MVP while the other one is ghost on D when they happen to be playing in the same game. Kawhi has eaten Draymond's lunch multiple times, he makes him look like an average defender. Kawhi is both the better defender & offensive player.

TheGreatYacht
10-28-2015, 01:14 AM
Exactly. Gobert backourt is hood, burke and burks :lol...
Forgot the lockdown artist, Joe Ingles :lmao

spursistan
10-28-2015, 06:10 AM
Agreed...not only on D, i think he's is getting overrated in general and just prematurely coronated by the media..Don't get me wrong, while he is the best prospect since Lebron the fact remain he hasn't done shit yet in the league to deserve to considered as lock or top 5/top 10 all time the way the narrative has been set in motion..Tim Duncan led a team to title at age 23 in less years of NBA..AD and Pelicans will still be fighting for playoff spot by next April as 23 yo....

Raven
10-28-2015, 07:59 AM
While he did anchor a bottom half defense, the blame isn't all on him. As an individual, he's a better shot blocker than Ibaka, can switch on the PnR like Gobert, and with his added weight he should be an improved post defender.

good lord :lol

Raven
10-28-2015, 08:05 AM

been saying it for long too. Granted, he has all the tools, but isn't using them for anything other than fantasy stats, I don't know when it started, but he is evolving to be a kevin love type of player instead of a tim duncan. But of course the blame will again go to the rest of the team and he'll get DPOY votes.. lol

Killakobe81
10-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Agreed...not only on D, i think he's is getting overrated in general and just prematurely coronated by the media..Don't get me wrong, while he is the best prospect since Lebron the fact remain he hasn't done shit yet in the league to deserve to considered as lock or top 5/top 10 all time the way the narrative has been set in motion..Tim Duncan led a team to title at age 23 in less years of NBA..AD and Pelicans will still be fighting for playoff spot by next April as 23 yo....

This. In the other thread I argued how can he be a MVP candidate if NOLa is not even the 5th best team in the West? For him to be a real MVP he has to lead Nola to a top 3 or 4 seed if recent history is any indication and that STILL wont be enough. Sure, his team was shitty last night but outside of the one block on Curry I saw he could do nothing to stop the penetration of Gstate. Sure, they had him on Draymond once Bogut left but before that Warriors didnt seem intimidated by his presence in the lane.

Again this kid is the real deal and that was just one game. I also agree best prospect since James but this need to coronate dudes early is dismaying. Heck steph wasnt a MVP threat last year until he was 26 and his team's record reflects the impact he has had on their success.

D-Wade
10-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Whiteside has more potential on the defensive end imo. Just needs to stay out of foul trouble.

Brazil
10-28-2015, 10:56 AM
I agree his defense is overrated, Rudy is for one a much stronger defender than him... now people should not get too carried away by saying even Gasol is better that would be ridiculous :lol

Also :lol at fantasy stats concept... dude averaged 3 blks and 1,5 steals last year, that still represents 4,5 possessions denied by him per game not non significant. a stat is a stat.

It also depends of the definition of defense, defense is not just help defense or one on one it is also blks, steals and to a certain extent rebounds, he averaged near 8 defensive rebound per game. His advanced metrics are not all elite but he is quite consistent and solid on all categories.

Globally he is to me a more gifted offensive player than defensive but he is still an elite two way player. Top 5 player in the league and still room to grow.

I'd be curious also to see him operate in an elite team with an elite coach like pop, carlisle

Killakobe81
10-28-2015, 11:06 AM
I agree his defense is overrated, Rudy is for one a much stronger defender than him... now people should not get too carried away by saying even Gasol is better that would be ridiculous :lol

Also :lol at fantasy stats concept... dude averaged 3 blks and 1,5 steals last year, that still represents 4,5 possessions denied by him per game not non significant. a stat is a stat.

It also depends of the definition of defense, defense is not just help defense or one on one it is also blks, steals and to a certain extent rebounds, he averaged near 8 defensive rebound per game. His advanced metrics are not all elite but he is quite consistent and solid on all categories.

Globally he is to me a more gifted offensive player than defensive but he is still an elite two way player. Top 5 player in the league and still room to grow.

I'd be curious also to see him operate in an elite team with an elite coach like pop, carlisle

This. some metrics even claim he is a elite defender. Good news he is still in a growth stage and is getting better.

10-28-2015, 12:47 PM
good lord :lol

He has the physical tools, his bball IQ is the issue.

Mr Bones
10-28-2015, 01:04 PM
His block/foul ratio was the best in the league by far last season (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/blocks/sort/blockFoulRatio/year/2015), which means he not only blocked tons of shots, but was also the most discriminating shot blocker in the league...

spurraider21
10-28-2015, 03:28 PM
monster stats in losses...should not be counted man...
they went 45-37 and he was by far their best player

10-28-2015, 03:46 PM
they went 45-37 and he was by far their best player