PDA

View Full Version : The winningest trio in NBA history is...

Old School 44
10-29-2015, 08:05 AM
...currently for regular season wins it's the Boston Celtics trio of Bird, Parish and McHale with 540 wins. The Spurs trio of Parker, Duncan, Ginobili is at 539. I have no doubt they will tie the record with a win against Brooklyn in their home opener on Friday. Ironically, the first chance to break the record, and stand alone at 541 regular season wins, will come against the Celtics franchise on Sunday in Boston.

Sure you have to have skilled players, but it does take a lot of luck just to stay together to have the opportunity to play and win that many games. With free agency, injuries (who would have thought Manu would have lasted this long, not to mention Tim, who's seemingly played a third of his career on one leg), trades etc., it's amazing what they have accomplished.

Along with Pop, I doubt if we see this kind of continuity in the NBA again. :toast:toast:toast

http://wagesofwins.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Tony-Parker-Manu-Ginobili-and-Tim-Duncan.jpg

BillMc
10-29-2015, 08:07 AM
...currently for regular season wins it's the Boston Celtics trio of Bird, Parish and McHale with 540 wins. The Spurs trio of Parker, Duncan, Ginobili is at 539. I have no doubt they will tie the record with a win against Brooklyn in their home opener on Friday. Ironically, the first chance to break the record, and stand alone at 541 regular season wins, will come against the Celtics franchise on Sunday in Boston.

Sure you have to have skilled players, but it does take a lot of luck just to stay together to have the opportunity to play and win that many games. With free agency, injuries (who would have thought Manu would have lasted this long, not to mention Tim, who's seemingly played a third of his career on one leg), trades etc., it's amazing what they have accomplished.

Along with Pop, I doubt if we this kind of continuity in the NBA again. :toast:toast:toast

http://wagesofwins.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Tony-Parker-Manu-Ginobili-and-Tim-Duncan.jpg

Well said OP! :bobo It'd be sweet if they broke the record in Boston.

TXstbobcat
10-29-2015, 08:18 AM
That would be cool to tie the record at home and break the record in Boston.

spursistan
10-29-2015, 10:23 AM
:lol maybe that OKC loss was good for something rather symbolic .. hopefully they get it in Boston..

Old School 44
10-30-2015, 09:53 PM
It's official. The tied for the winningest trio in NBA history! 540 regular season wins.
:bobo

BillMc
10-30-2015, 09:54 PM
It's official. The tied for the winningest trio in NBA history! 540 regular season wins.

Break it in Boston!!!:flag:

TXstbobcat
10-30-2015, 09:55 PM
Congrats to Tim, Manu, and Tony!!!! Get a chance to break the record in Boston.

YGWHI
10-30-2015, 10:20 PM
Congrats to Tim, Manu, and Tony!!!! Get a chance to break the record in Boston.

:flag:

YGWHI
10-30-2015, 10:20 PM
Fear the Spurs Big 3!

Thomas82
10-31-2015, 12:41 AM
Break it in Boston!!!:flag:

+1

apalisoc_9
10-31-2015, 12:56 AM
damn, that lost in Oklahoma might not be that bad afterall if they win this..:lol

Breaking Bird and his crews number in Boston would feel so good. :lol

scanry
10-31-2015, 04:08 AM
lol mentioning coatriders as part of a trio...

why doesnt he prove himself on another team when he had the chance, but no he just the same as the cripple chasing own records

sup CN. :lol

SASdynasty!
10-31-2015, 12:35 PM
Big 3 doing big things.

Seventyniner
10-31-2015, 02:24 PM

why doesnt he prove himself on another team when he had the chance, but no he just the same as the cripple chasing own records

You wanted Manu to leave in free agency?

spurraider21
10-31-2015, 03:32 PM

Rent free

Seventyniner
10-31-2015, 09:53 PM
If the Spurs win tomorrow, will the Boston fans:
A) appluad Tim, Tony, and Manu for breaking their team's record
B) boo those three for the same reason
C) not care

I think it would be a decent amount of A, a smattering of B, and mostly C.

Blue Duck
10-31-2015, 10:29 PM
I'm going with option A, think that Boston fans respect and acknowledge greatness, and this trio of throwbacks must remind them, at least somewhat of their great trio from the good ole days.

Russo21
10-31-2015, 10:48 PM
Didn't Boston have the best chance of winning the Duncan lottery? Damn they must hate what Tim and his Spurs have done for the last 2 decades lol

SilverSpur
10-31-2015, 11:00 PM
I think Boston will show some class and applaud if it is announced over the speaker system during a time out, but if its just shown on the score board , not much will be made of it.
It will be brought up the next time the Spurs are on a national televised game. It will be a topic of discussion between
Skip Bayless and the asshole Stephen A Smith.

NickiRasgo
10-31-2015, 11:06 PM
This could have been break last season (and a #2 seed).
That losses again Grizzlies, Blazers, Lakers, Pistons, Knicks and Cavs.
If not with those late game lapses, it could've been done already.

Anyways, hope they would be able to break it Boston.

SilverSpur
10-31-2015, 11:15 PM
The big question is can they get to 600 regular season wins THIS year? They average 50 wins a year. That puts them at least at 590. With Aldridge and West on broad and less minutes played, can they get an extra 10 wins this year, because if they all come back next year it's 600 for sure.
Hopefully Pop will not "DNP" Duncan, Parker and Manu at all this year,

Spurtacular
11-01-2015, 12:32 AM
I'll take Bird, Parish and McHale. But good for Timmy, Manu and tag-along-guy.

Clipper Nation
11-01-2015, 12:36 AM

J_Paco
11-01-2015, 01:15 AM
I'll take Bird, Parish and McHale. But good for Timmy, Manu and tag-along-guy.

You are a moron. "Tag - along - guy" is headed to the Hall of Fame and is the greatest PG in franchise history. The presence of Parker, Ginobili and now Leonard have helped extend Timmy's career just as much as Popovich's monitoring of his minutes and Duncan's incredible work ethic. They deserve this accolade and it couldn't happen at a more poignant moment then in Boston, Massachusetts.

Get it done, guys! Go Spurs, Go!!!!

will_spurs
11-01-2015, 01:59 AM
I think Boston will show some class and applaud if it is announced over the speaker system during a time out, but if its just shown on the score board , not much will be made of it.

Since we won't know until the end of the game, I'm pretty sure it won't happen during a timeout :) (well, ok, maybe if it's a blowout they could mention it at the very end of regulation).

I expect a couple of articles on major websites and that's about it.

BillMc
11-01-2015, 05:45 AM
If the Spurs win tomorrow, will the Boston fans:
A) appluad Tim, Tony, and Manu for breaking their team's record
B) boo those three for the same reason
C) not care

I think it would be a decent amount of A, a smattering of B, and mostly C.

C) and maybe
D) Not Know

Old School 44
11-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Although the "most playoff games won" record this Spurs trio already owns is nice. This new regular season record is cool because it is comparable to the Celtics record even though they played over a decade ago. They still play an 82 game regular season schedule, as opposed to the playoffs where the first round was a 5 game series during the Celtics trios era.

Seventyniner
11-01-2015, 08:27 AM
You are a moron. "Tag - along - guy" is headed to the Hall of Fame and is the greatest PG in franchise history. The presence of Parker, Ginobili and now Leonard have helped extend Timmy's career just as much as Popovich's monitoring of his minutes and Duncan's incredible work ethic. They deserve this accolade and it couldn't happen at a more poignant moment then in Boston, Massachusetts.

Well put. Tim hasn't had to carry the team offensively in years, which has left him fresh enough to focus on defense and keep the wear and tear to a minimum.

Spurtacular
11-01-2015, 01:58 PM

Take it easy, guy. I'm okay with Parker entering the Hall. I speak more of his presence lately and perhaps somewhat to him being a bit over-rated.

will_spurs
11-01-2015, 02:04 PM
I speak more of his presence lately

Because his recent performance is really pertinent in the context of 540 wins, of course.

bic50
11-01-2015, 02:08 PM

Spurtacular
11-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Because his recent performance is really pertinent in the context of 540 wins, of course.

It's pertinent to my annoyance with Parker; had he changed his game in 2015 to adapt with his physical shortcomings, the Spurs very well might have had their sixth ring right now.

ajh18
11-01-2015, 03:35 PM
It's pertinent to my annoyance with Parker; had he changed his game in 2015 to adapt with his physical shortcomings, the Spurs very well might have had their sixth ring right now.

I'm no Tony apologist - and I definitely think he's got to continue to adapt - but he really DID try to adjust his game last year. He had the lowest usage % since 2003-2004. And before anyone says that's simply due to the emergence of Kawhi, remember that that period includes prime Manu and Tim years. He also attempted 20 more 3pt shots than any other year of his career, and shot 5 percentage points better from there than he ever had.

It may not be as quickly as we want, and he may not be where he needs to be, but its pretty clear he's trying to adapt his game, successfully or not.

DMC
11-01-2015, 04:04 PM
I'm no Tony apologist - and I definitely think he's got to continue to adapt - but he really DID try to adjust his game last year. He had the lowest usage % since 2003-2004. And before anyone says that's simply due to the emergence of Kawhi, remember that that period includes prime Manu and Tim years. He also attempted 20 more 3pt shots than any other year of his career, and shot 5 percentage points better from there than he ever had.

It may not be as quickly as we want, and he may not be where he needs to be, but its pretty clear he's trying to adapt his game, successfully or not.

lol no

Spurtacular
11-01-2015, 04:45 PM

Tony consistently took his low percentage going left jump shots early in shot clocks. It was easy to tell he was worried about hitting a certain point threshold. We lost how many games b/c of that? We then ended up having to wear ourselves down in the pursuit of the two seed that we didn't get. No excuse for Tony last year. This year, he seems to have regained some fitness and is making better decisions so far.

ElNono
11-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Official!!!

Tim-Manu-Tony :flag:

loveforthegame
11-01-2015, 05:55 PM
:worthy:

FkLA
11-01-2015, 05:56 PM
Porker getting carried to the win per par.

Stood in the left corner all 4th Qtr long while Manu orchestrated, Timmy led, and Kawhi+LMA took turns taking over. Poses no threat as a spot-up shooter. Can't stay in front of anyone. One of the most overrated players of all-time tbh.

Canyonero
11-01-2015, 05:57 PM

HI-FI
Huge props.
:flag::hat

From Downtown

BillMc
Congrats to the Big 3!:flag:

DenialTwist
11-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Big achievement!

BatManu20
11-01-2015, 05:59 PM
:worthy:

Old School 44
11-01-2015, 05:59 PM
:bobo:bobo:bobo
Cheers to Tim.........Tony........Manu

BatManu20
11-01-2015, 09:11 PM

resistanze
11-01-2015, 09:17 PM

TheGreatYacht
11-01-2015, 09:23 PM
enrique porker reminds me of that other pos on fc barcelona the midget messi coatriding to wins when iniesta and xavi is playing, but cant win shit without them 2...

enrique porker just a pos tbh
Comparing Parker to Messi, I'll take it :toast

It's no surprise that the Spurs win 70% of their games when MVParker shoots 20FGA+ (the best out of the Big 3, and better than Kawhi)

Head of the snake :cry

TheGreatYacht
11-01-2015, 09:35 PM
u refering pos to a snake or has characteristics of a snake? u know how he says one thing but has other bad intentions, fck him
I didn't make that up. Pop calls him that.. You cut the head off the snake and it's dead.

Its great seeing the torch get passed down to LMAlpha now :tu

urunobili
11-01-2015, 10:20 PM
So the Celtics trio got there first, how far apart is our big tee in winning percentage though?

Brazil
11-02-2015, 07:04 AM
Grats to the historical Spurs big 3 !! Amazing achievement !!

too bad some kids in this board cannot prevent themselves from pouring their usual diarrhea in a thread made to celebrate the greatest trio of history.

Old School 44
11-02-2015, 08:33 AM
Grats to the historical Spurs big 3 !! Amazing achievement !!

too bad some kids in this board cannot prevent themselves from pouring their usual diarrhea in a thread made to celebrate the greatest trio of history.

Another amazing part of this achievement is they did it all while playing for the same team and coach for their careers. The two trios behind them, Boston's Parish played with Golden State and Jabbar (Alcindor) started with the Bucks.

Someone asked what active trio is behind them? I don't think there's any active trio even close. Just off the top of my head, I tried to think of successful, longest tenured players with their teams. The first two I thought of were Kobe and Dirk. But there's no two players on their current teams that they played with for any length of time. It's probably the Thunder (Westbrook, Durant, Ibaka) or the Grizzlies (Gasol, Randolph, Conley).

r0drig0lac
11-02-2015, 08:40 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/bobo.gif

TheDoctor
11-02-2015, 08:59 AM
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z357/GYR0MEISTER/BIG_THREE_541_Wins.jpg

Old School 44
11-02-2015, 09:06 AM
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z357/GYR0MEISTER/BIG_THREE_541_Wins.jpg
LOL! I see what you did there!

BillMc
11-02-2015, 09:08 AM
Someone asked what active trio is behind them? I don't think there's any active trio even close. Just off the top of my head, I tried to think of successful, longest tenured players with their teams. The first two I thought of were Kobe and Dirk. But there's no two players on their current teams that they played with for any length of time. It's probably the Thunder (Westbrook, Durant, Ibaka) or the Grizzlies (Gasol, Randolph, Conley).

Yeah, I asked that. Those are two I thought of as well. Maybe Wade, Haslem, and someone else on Miami? Chalmers? Bosh?

Probably the second active trio is 2 of our guys plus Bonner!:lol

Old School 44
11-02-2015, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I asked that. Those are two I thought of as well.

Probably the second active trio is 2 of our guys plus Bonner!:lol

:lol Probably should start a "The winningest foursome...." thread.

BillMc
11-02-2015, 09:16 AM
:lol Probably should start a "The winningest foursome...." thread.
:lol

Clipper Nation
11-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Congrats to Timmy, Manu and Pop for being the winningest trio ever!

Gervin44Silas13
11-02-2015, 11:19 AM
600 Plus wins