PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Steph Curry or Russell Westbrook? Who's better?

10-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Obviously Westbrook has better stats due to higher usage but who's the better impact player?

apalisoc_9
10-29-2015, 09:26 PM
I love Westbrook, but Curry is the third or 2nd best player in the league.

Jesus the OP has got to be one of the worst basketball minds in here...

Just so many shitty takes..Gives me a terrible headache.

10-29-2015, 09:31 PM
I love Westbrook, but Curry is the third or 2nd best player in the league.

Jesus the OP has got to be one of the worst basketball minds in here...

Just so many shitty takes..Gives me a terrible headache.Just posing the question that people will be discussing quite a bit this season when it comes to who's the best PG in the league..now that the mainstream media have moved on from Rose, Rondo, etc

I don't remember stating my opinion on the matter though you balding auntie fucking chink.

urunobili
10-29-2015, 10:12 PM
Westbrook

midnightpulp
10-29-2015, 10:16 PM
Curry. He impacts the game from the perimeter like a great big impacts the game from the paint. He gets defenses scrambling and out of whack every time he touches the ball.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-29-2015, 10:19 PM
Give me Westbrook

HarlemHeat37
10-29-2015, 10:23 PM
Curry, pretty easily, too..

10-29-2015, 10:44 PM
Curry. He impacts the game from the perimeter like a great big impacts the game from the paint. He gets defenses scrambling and out of whack every time he touches the ball.
His gravity off the ball is powerful as well.

10-29-2015, 10:47 PM
Westbrook

Give me Westbrook
Any particular reasoning? The only clear advantage I see is Westbrook's rebounding.

testies
10-29-2015, 10:59 PM
Curry is the PG Shaq, he's a game changer. \Best player in the league by far, specially with that team he has

TheGreatYacht
10-30-2015, 12:30 AM
Westbrook. Let Delly try him and see what happens tbh.

Only worry is his health, and his play style isn't doing any favors for it.

Mnky
10-30-2015, 12:34 AM
It would have been curry before last year. Westbrook had caught up in the assist area and became pretty prolific passing while staying aggressive. He can also be a defensive player. Curry is great at getting steals tho.. hmm.

Curry is definitely the guy you want taking clutch shots, as Westbrook hasn't been the best with those. I'd prally go wih curry until Westbrook can dethrone him with a playoff push. Maybe with Durant back, Westbrook surges tho. We will see.

apalisoc_9
10-30-2015, 12:35 AM
The amount of attention GSW as a team gets probably backfired and as a result we have fans legitimately trying to downplay Curry...I don't even know why there's even a debate..I hate this faggot, srs...But it's undeniable. He's unquestionably the best Guard in the league right now.

I don't think there's a more influential offensive player in the league right now..I really think he's a much more influential offensive player than current Durant and current Lebron..

unpopular opinion, but damn the warriors with Curry is a Historic team...

Curry is up there with Prime Lebron in terms of making his teamates better offensive players.

Cry Havoc
10-30-2015, 12:47 AM
Curry.

Because I don't have to worry about Curry having a mental breakdown in the 4th quarter of a 20 point blowout.

Is this even a serious debate? Curry doesn't take a bad shot. Westbrook doesn't KNOW a bad shot.

daslicer
10-30-2015, 12:59 AM
Obviously Curry by a huge margin. Curry has Nash like IQ but is a much better scorer than Nash ever was.

~O~
10-30-2015, 01:05 AM
Curry. Curry is able to get whatever he wants out of the offense and is a magnet from anywhere on the floor. Curry most of all is able to play off the ball. His overall shooting percentage can not be rivaled by anyone in the league. He does various things without the epic Athleticism that Westbrook has.

Shane27
10-30-2015, 01:40 AM
Curry.

Because I don't have to worry about Curry having a mental breakdown in the 4th quarter of a 20 point blowout.

Is this even a serious debate? Curry doesn't take a bad shot. Westbrook doesn't KNOW a bad shot.

I've seen Curry take his share of bad shots before

Venti Quattro
10-30-2015, 02:21 AM
Stephen Curry

Venti Quattro
10-30-2015, 02:23 AM
Obviously Curry by a huge margin. Curry has Nash like IQ but is a much better scorer than Nash ever was.
Curry also doesn't hide on defense like Nash routinely did

Jodelo
10-30-2015, 02:41 AM
Curry, easily.

Cry Havoc
10-30-2015, 02:45 AM

Let me know when he throws a fadeaway 3 that goes off the side of the backboard in the closing minutes of a series finale.

10-30-2015, 03:06 AM
That was my initial reaction but I think he means even a bad shot, is a good shot for curry. He can get his shot up from anywhere.

lefty20
10-30-2015, 03:41 AM
A bad shot for Westbrick is anything beyond 15ft. Meanwhile, a bad shot for Curry would be something beyond the half-court line, tbh.

I'd definitely take Curry, his game would mesh well with a lot more players than Wesbrick's. And I think he's gonna age better.

Mal
10-30-2015, 03:48 AM
D`Angelo Russell

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-30-2015, 07:32 AM
Curry is the PG Shaq, he's a game changer. \Best player in the league by far, specially with that team he has

And Westbrook isn't. WB was the reason the Thunder won against the Spurs. Take him out, and the Spurs blowout OKC.

I would go with Westbrook. Curry just has better shooters on his team which is why it is easier for him. Westbrook literally can be a one man wrecking crew and IS the most athletic player in the NBA today.

benefactor
10-30-2015, 07:46 AM
Curry>>>Steve Francis 2.0

ElNono
10-30-2015, 07:56 AM
Curry, but peeps shouldn't dog on Westbrook... he's definitely up there in the top 3 PG convo right now...

Kidd K
10-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Curry easily imo. Both right now and long term. Especially long term. . .Westbrook's game will not last due to being so dependent on his athleticism while I think Curry's will since it's more dependent on intelligence, skill, and decision making.

Shane27
10-30-2015, 10:28 AM
That was my initial reaction but I think he means even a bad shot, is a good shot for curry. He can get his shot up from anywhere.

I agree with that. Was just saying I've seen Curry take shots where he definitely would have been better off passing or dribbling out. Steph Curry is definitely better if you want a ring. Westbrook is definitely exciting though.

HarlemHeat37
10-30-2015, 11:31 AM
Westbrook is one of the 3 most athletic players in the history of the NBA, maybe sports, but Curry is also a rare type of player, too..I've never seen any player in league history that commands so much attention without touching the ball, due to his shooting, yet also being one of the best ball-handlers you'll ever see..

Building an elite offense around a dominant player that doesn't need the ball in his hands and needs to be doubled/trapped from the halfcourt line(when he does have the ball) is a generational luxury, obviously..

Raven
10-30-2015, 11:36 AM
westchimp could probably beat him in a matchup. They are very different and obviously i'd rather have curry, but it's close.

Killakobe81
10-30-2015, 12:33 PM
Curry.

What?! not true, even LeBron takes the occasional bad shot heat check. Curry does take bad shots but he is such a good shooter people overlook that. I love my Bruin nicca Russ ...

But the correct answer is Curry. But it's closer than some of yall make it out to be ...
Curry has improved a slight bit on defense and Russ has become a better passer and shooter than he was just two years ago ...but Curry's ball handling and finishing

Killakobe81
10-30-2015, 12:35 PM
I agree with that. Was just saying I've seen Curry take shots where he definitely would have been better off passing or dribbling out. Steph Curry is definitely better if you want a ring. Westbrook is definitely exciting though.

This.

Cry Havoc
10-30-2015, 01:58 PM
What?! not true, even LeBron takes the occasional bad shot heat check. Curry does take bad shots but he is such a good shooter people overlook that. I love my Bruin nicca Russ ...

But the correct answer is Curry. But it's closer than some of yall make it out to be ...
Curry has improved a slight bit on defense and Russ has become a better passer and shooter than he was just two years ago ...but Curry's ball handling and finishing

That's true. I didn't mean to suggest that Curry NEVER takes a bad shot, so I misspoke there, but I don't see Curry bombing away frustration 3s on the regular, I guess that is my point. You honestly never know what kind of temperament Russ is going to have going into the game, and that's a problem. For anyone who says it isn't, well, just wait until he throws his first tantrum of the season at a teammate.

Mr Bones
10-30-2015, 02:15 PM
Curry.

Exactly. Plus when Curry spots up for a three, the opposing coach feels terrified...when Westbrook spots up for a three, the opposing coach thinks, "ah, good!"

daslicer
10-30-2015, 02:29 PM
westchimp could probably beat him in a matchup. They are very different and obviously i'd rather have curry, but it's close.

Its not even close. Westbrook is great one on one player and has super athletic abilities which very few players posses but he could never be the number 1 guy on a championship team. Last year is the best indication of that when he was putting up high scoring games on crappy FG percentages and his team was still losing. Without Durant Westbrook is basically a hybrid mix of Baron Davis and Francis. Just like those guys as a number 1 option his ceiling is leading a team to the playoffs as a low seed. Pair him with Durant and then he becomes lethal. I feel on the other hand Steph elevates the games of his teammates to another level.

Raven
10-30-2015, 02:37 PM
Its not even close. Westbrook is great one on one player and has super athletic abilities which very few players posses but he could never be the number 1 guy on a championship team. Last year is the best indication of that when he was putting up high scoring games on crappy FG percentages and his team was still losing. Without Durant Westbrook is basically a hybrid mix of Baron Davis and Francis. Just like those guys as a number 1 option his ceiling is leading a team to the playoffs as a low seed. Pair him with Durant and then he becomes lethal. I feel on the other hand Steph elevates the games of his teammates to another level.

hm. might also be because when durant went down they relied on anthony morrow, dion waiters, enes kanter and kyle singler, none of which seems much of a defender to me.

daslicer
10-30-2015, 02:47 PM
hm. might also be because when durant went down they relied on anthony morrow, dion waiters, enes kanter and kyle singler, none of which seems much of a defender to me.

How does having bad defenders on your team have to do with shooting a terrible FG percentage? Durant is clearly to me the best player on the thunder and it was clear during his MVP season when the thunder had the best record in the league for a period of time when Westbrook was out for a lot of games. Durant still was able to lead his team to a ton of wins despite having guys like Reggie Jackson, and Ibaka as the only other scorers on the team. The funny thing is when Westbrook came back the thunder started losing games and slipped to second. Westbrook is a chucker those type of players only win when they are the number 2 option on the team.

Raven
10-30-2015, 02:49 PM
How does having bad defenders on your team have to do with shooting a terrible FG percentage? Durant is clearly to me the best player on the thunder and it was clear during his MVP season when the thunder had the best record in the league for a period of time when Westbrook was out for a lot of games. Durant still was able to lead his team to a ton of wins despite having guys like Reggie Jackson, and Ibaka as the only other scorers on the team. The funny thing is when Westbrook came back the thunder started losing games and slipped to second. Westbrook is a chucker those type of players only win when they are the number 2 option on the team.

i'd say, it's about 70% of the reason if you're trying to win games.

daslicer
10-30-2015, 02:53 PM
i'd say, it's about 70% of the reason if you're trying to win games.

Right and having your number 1 option shooting terrible FG percentages and having poor shot selection doesn't hinder your chances of winning games?

urunobili
10-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Any particular reasoning? The only clear advantage I see is Westbrook's rebounding.

Curry can be slowed by an elite Wing defender. Westbrook is physically unstoppable.

Brazil
10-30-2015, 02:56 PM
In my opinion when Westbrook is fully focused on his game and his jumper is on, it is quite close... Both are literally unguardable, Curry is obviously the better shooter and has tons of range but in penetration Westbrook looks like Lebron... even elite defensive bigs cannot keep up.

Curry is more difficult to handle, he attracts defenders far from basket... if you send help he's gonna kill you with his passing, if you let him one on one he will feast on you. With West, you dare him to shoot and live with the results.

For that and consistency it's Curry the better player imo.

On a side note, the rebounding part of Westbrook game is overrated, he's gonna take some that would be out of reach of the frontcourt but mostly he secures rebounds that would have been taken otherwise.

Brazil
10-30-2015, 02:59 PM
Curry can be slowed by an elite Wing defender. Westbrook is physically unstoppable.

Yes but Curry will use his elite passing to find solutions, plus he can shoot from half of the court :lol

For West I do agree, like already said when launched you cannot stop him...

HarlemHeat37
10-30-2015, 03:03 PM
I'm probably the biggest Westbrook fan on SpursTalk, but he's much more guard-able than Curry, not sure where that's coming from:lol..

Curry's appearance helps him attract media and casual fans, but it actually hurts him from a perception standpoint..he's not physically dominant or athletic, which gives the impression that he can be stopped or limited..there was no indication, at all, last year, that he can be shut down..even in the Cavs series, where he didn't dominate, they still had to send all their resources at him to contain him, which clearly opened things up for Iguodala, who rarely had to create anything outside of the 3-point line..

Curry has elite role players around him(Green, Thompson), along with 2nd-tier role players(Bogut, Iggy), but the Warriors don't have anybody else that warrants attention as a creator..Thompson can post up and score in a box off the dribble, but he's a poor creator..Iguodala and Green can create off the pass, but they don't draw primary attention from a defense..

Mr Bones
10-30-2015, 03:12 PM

Curry was the best player on a team that won 67 games and the NBA championship... how & when was he slowed down?

Westbrook is mentally stoppable... you just keep letting him shoot, and you especially give him the 3 pt shot, which he continues to shoot at a terrible percentage, just as he has his entire career, and just as he did in the finals against Miami, where he deservedly acquired the rep as a very talented player with very questionable shot selection...

ambchang
10-30-2015, 03:28 PM
In today's NBA where softness in the paint is the norm, and handchecking is illegal, both are tough to guard, but I will have to go with Curry. Dead eye shooters who can dribble and make quick decisions like that help the team stretch out the defense, and allow his teammates to drive into a paint that are guarded by "elite" defenders such as Ibaka, Drummond and Steve Adams, whereas Westbrook's way of playing simply sucks in the defense, which wasn't much different from having an elite big.

Killakobe81
10-30-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm probably the biggest Westbrook fan on SpursTalk, but he's much more guard-able than Curry, not sure where that's coming from:lol..

Curry's appearance helps him attract media and casual fans, but it actually hurts him from a perception standpoint..he's not physically dominant or athletic, which gives the impression that he can be stopped or limited..there was no indication, at all, last year, that he can be shut down..even in the Cavs series, where he didn't dominate, they still had to send all their resources at him to contain him, which clearly opened things up for Iguodala, who rarely had to create anything outside of the 3-point line..

Curry has elite role players around him(Green, Thompson), along with 2nd-tier role players(Bogut, Iggy), but the Warriors don't have anybody else that warrants attention as a creator..Thompson can post up and score in a box off the dribble, but he's a poor creator..Iguodala and Green can create off the pass, but they don't draw primary attention from a defense..

You are nt a bigger Russ fan than me ... but I would still take Curry. People forget how good Russ has gotten at creating for his team-mates. he doesnt draw defenders at the 3 point line like Cury but top of the key in he is probably only second to Curry and Lebron at drawing attention from the defense only Harden is also in that class. As PG it's Steph followed closely by Russ.

DMC
10-30-2015, 03:48 PM
Don't like Russ but I cannot imagine Delly shutting him down. Russ is his own best defender. He does more to stop himself from seeing a ring than anyone else in the league. He's got the team to win it all, but he wants to do it while being the alpha dog and as a PG that's not a good idea. He gets his points and will have some big numbers by the time he retires, but it won't be ring count.

Curry, on the other hand, isn't good enough attacking the rim to be a serious threat. He knows that though, so is more likely to give up the rock or get a better look. Russ is a good shooter, but nothing close to Curry. It comes down to which player knows their own weaknesses, and I think that's Steph.

K...
10-30-2015, 03:50 PM
I'd say curry too, but three years ago curry the chucker was inferior to Westbrook the chucker. Then Mark Jackson was dumped, curry wins mvp.

Let's wait more than one game with Westbrook and a coach who isn't running archaic schemes(Brooks> Jackson obv, but Kerr> Donovan) before we settle this debate. We've never seen Westbrook with a team built like the warriors. It was Durant's team until Westbrook bullied his way to team alpha.

LkrFan
10-30-2015, 03:55 PM
D`Angelo Russell
:lol

Raven
10-30-2015, 04:11 PM
Right and having your number 1 option shooting terrible FG percentages and having poor shot selection doesn't hinder your chances of winning games?

of course it is, but if you're playing from behind you're bound to lower your % and also it means that you have less fastbreak opportunities, which again lowers the %, and it also means that you need to run more to compensate for the lack of D from his teammates which again contributes to lower the fg %

BD24
10-30-2015, 06:25 PM
Just posing the question that people will be discussing quite a bit this season when it comes to who's the best PG in the league..now that the mainstream media have moved on from Rose, Rondo, etc

I don't remember stating my opinion on the matter though you balding auntie fucking chink.
:lmao

Spurs9
10-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Westbrook any day cant stand curry

Kawhitstorm
10-30-2015, 07:14 PM
Westbrook is average off the ball.....

tlongII
10-30-2015, 08:14 PM
Curry

10-31-2015, 12:18 AM
Bestbrook tonight :wow

Kawhitstorm
10-31-2015, 02:43 AM
You are nt a bigger Russ fan than me ... but I would still take Curry. People forget how good Russ has gotten at creating for his team-mates. he doesnt draw defenders at the 3 point line like Cury but top of the key in he is probably only second to Curry and Lebron at drawing attention from the defense only Harden is also in that class. As PG it's Steph followed closely by Russ.

Russy's kryptonite is speed on defense. The Warriors were able to keep him bottled up when he was on a tear last season b/c they had 3 perimeter defenders that could move laterally (Klay/Iggy/Livingston) & a mobile big guy to switch on PnRs (Draymond). He didn't have a clear run way for take off which cut down his FT attempts & even when he got into the paint Draymond was lurking behind him thus the majority of his shots were contested. If he's making his outside shot then there isn't much you could do but his penetration can be minimized.

10-31-2015, 12:29 PM
Russy's kryptonite is speed on defense. The Warriors were able to keep him bottled up when he was on a tear last season b/c they had 3 perimeter defenders that could move laterally (Klay/Iggy/Livingston) & a mobile big guy to switch on PnRs (Draymond). He didn't have a clear run way for take off which cut down his FT attempts & even when he got into the paint Draymond was lurking behind him thus the majority of his shots were contested. If he's making his outside shot then there isn't much you could do but his penetration can be minimized.

Curry can also be slowed down by a team with good perimeter defenders(Spurs last year).

Seventyniner
10-31-2015, 05:13 PM
I'd say curry too, but three years ago curry the chucker was inferior to Westbrook the chucker. Then Mark Jackson was dumped, curry wins mvp.

Let's wait more than one game with Westbrook and a coach who isn't running archaic schemes(Brooks> Jackson obv, but Kerr> Donovan) before we settle this debate. We've never seen Westbrook with a team built like the warriors. It was Durant's team until Westbrook bullied his way to team alpha.

Good point about the coaching aspect. Westbrook has had bad coaching his whole career, jury is still out on Donovan.

I would take Curry for reasons already discussed: he is much more dangerous than Westbrook without the ball and almost as dangerous with it.

If Westbrook ever developed the mentality to be a shutdown defender too, he would be my preference. He obviously has the athletic ability. He's actually the ideal PG to put someone like Patty Mills next to. Westbrook could easily guard SGs.

TheGreatYacht
10-31-2015, 08:59 PM
These niggas making it hard to choose smfh.

Would they have done this against Stockton and Starks though? :lol

HemisfairArena
10-31-2015, 09:32 PM
Curry,,,dude has been there,,,done that and experience is half the battle,,,,

spurraider21
10-31-2015, 09:43 PM
most impressive aspect of curry's progress is that despite his limited athleticism, he's become a reasonable defender

BillMc
11-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Let me know when he throws a fadeaway 3 that goes off the side of the backboard in the closing minutes of a series finale.

This.

DMC
11-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Here's the difference between Curry and Russ (other than the obvious eye test), Curry dropped 53 last night. Russ knows that now and will go after that instead of playing within the scheme of the team's offense. Curry doesn't chase Russ. Steph makes bad shot decisions but a lot of them pan out. I am not sure he would be able to contribute in the same way on a team like the Thunder that has KD, because Curry would defer to him constantly. He'd get his points as well, but he wouldn't be scoring 50. They might win a championship though.

11-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Sometimes I feel like he doesn't even have to arc the three so high but he's trying to see how far up in the air he can throw the ball and still make it