PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Spurs' Kawhi Leonard not satisfied with career night

ILoveOranges
10-30-2015, 11:16 AM
Spurs' Kawhi Leonard not satisfied with career night
Michael C. Wright, ESPN Staff Writer

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Kawhi Leonard (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6450/kawhi-leonard) sipped from a red drink at his locker labeled “Kawhizilla” after San Antonio’s 112-106 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/okc/oklahoma-city-thunder), and despite a 32-point effort accompanied by a lockdown job on Kevin Durant (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3202/kevin-durant), the forward downplayed his coach's praise.Just minutes earlier, San Antonio Spurs (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs) coach Gregg Popovich said, “he’s arrived” in discussing Leonard.For Leonard, however, personal accolades weren’t the destination.“Opportunities opened up for me tonight. I saw them. I shot the ball, and they went in,” Leonard said, matter-of-factly. “Our offense is for everybody. Tonight, I scored the ball, but that’s my focus. I wanted to win the game, and we lost.”Leonard’s 32 points against the Thunder represent a career high, marking the first 30-point output of his career in the regular season (Leonard also scored 32 points in Game 3 of the first round of the 2014 Western Conference playoffs against the Los Angeles Clippers (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/lac/losangeles-clippers)). The reigning NBA Defensive Player of the Year, Leonard also limited Durant to 22 points on 6-of-19 shooting.Durant scored just eight points in the first half, as Leonard drew the assignment of guarding him.

http://a4.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F1028%2Fr20801_1296x729_16% 2D9.jpg&w=1140

“He’s aggressive, an unbelievable defender,” David West (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2177/david-west) said of Leonard.Manu Ginobili (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/272/manu-ginobili) called the first-half lockdown of Durant by Leonard “impressive.”“He really bothered him with the size chasing him from behind. He did a very good job,” Ginobili said. “Durant is not an easy guy to guard for sure. Doing such a great job [on defense], and meanwhile on the other end scoring 32, remarkable.”

Full article at:
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-antonio-spurs/post/_/id/24/spurs-kawhi-leonard-not-satisfied-with-career-night

SuperCam
10-30-2015, 11:18 AM
0 assists, smh :bang

YGWHI
10-30-2015, 11:28 AM
at his locker labeled “Kawhizilla”
Is this true?? If yes I need a pic! Love it! :lol

"I wanted to win the game, and we lost". Leonard said.
The Spurs'll win a lot of games this season if you keep playing like this, kid. :flag:

ILoveOranges
10-30-2015, 11:34 AM

As Kawhi is focused on doing whatever it takes to win, I am totally fine living with that for the first game. His defense was world-class, his scoring was unstoppable. He completely matched Westbrook on the offensive end, and stuffed the stat sheet. The Spurs play team ball, and Kawhi is a good (well, solid) passer. 0 assists for him is out of the ordinary, not his MO.

LongtimeSpursFan
10-30-2015, 11:37 AM
If Kawhi wants to become a better player he needs to become a better distributor. 23 shot attempts and zero assists is not helping the team win. I'd be happier if he can strive for 20/10/5/3 type games.

DarrinS
10-30-2015, 11:37 AM

Yeah, 3 less than TP :cry

ILoveOranges
10-30-2015, 11:41 AM
If Kawhi wants to become a better player he needs to become a better distributor. 23 shot attempts and zero assists is not helping the team win. I'd be happier if he can strive for 20/10/5/3 type games.

He absolutely will become a better distributor; his assist numbers have been rising steadily every year. Not huge by any means; he averaged 2.5 last season, and definitely has a scorer's mentality, but if there's anything Kawhi can do better than most, it's adapt and learn (defend too I suppose).

cd98
10-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Thanks ESPN. I'm glad to know that Kawhi isn't satisfied with the first game of the season. I was worried he might retire after his career game and call it good because he can't possibly do better than that game.

ILoveOranges
10-30-2015, 11:51 AM
Thanks ESPN. I'm glad to know that Kawhi isn't satisfied with the first game of the season. I was worried he might retire after his career game and call it good because he can't possibly do better than that game.

ESPN isn't exactly writing high-brow material, but I'll take more quotes and takes where I can get them.

Horse
10-30-2015, 12:29 PM

Just curious did Kahwi steal your girlfriend or fuck your mom or something?

Mikeanaro
10-30-2015, 12:31 PM
The Pork could get some rebounds too if we are getting picky.

txstr1986
10-30-2015, 12:40 PM

I wouldn't even be mad, tbh

bic50
10-30-2015, 12:40 PM
Actually those would be legit reasons to hate someone, but not the case here. The hate seems to stem from nowhere as kawhi hasn't done a thing to him personally, which leads me to believe he's simply a dump pos.

Mikeanaro
10-30-2015, 12:43 PM
Actually those would be legit reasons to hate someone, but not the case here. The hate seems to stem from nowhere as kawhi hasn't done a thing to him personally, which leads me to believe he's simply a dump pos.
He had like 32 points in high shooting %, 8 rebounds, 3 steals and 2 blocks but no he needs assists or everything is useless, no Danny Green Porker and Aldridge playing bad.

bic50
10-30-2015, 12:53 PM
He had like 32 points in high shooting %, 8 rebounds, 3 steals and 2 blocks but no he needs assists or everything is useless, no Danny Green Porker and Aldridge playing bad.
Yup takes a real dumbass to try and pin loses like this on kawhi. Aside from green with westbrook he had the toughest assignment on the floor having to defend durant an score, and he did more then hold his own. But some way its his fault they lost. Smh

Phenomanul
10-30-2015, 01:34 PM
Not to mention after rewatching the game that Kawhi actually delivered 7 very assistable baskets to Green, Patty, Diaw and West. They just happened not to go in.

bic50
10-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Not to mention after rewatching the game that Kawhi actually delivered 7 very assistable baskets to Green, Patty, Diaw and West. They just happened not to go in.
Dont bother. These fools have no idea how assists work.

Brazil
10-30-2015, 02:19 PM
Yeah, 3 less than TP :cry

with 10 more minutes

:lol

cjw
10-30-2015, 02:23 PM
Now that they shut down Grantland, way more drivel going to be posted on BSPN.

I'm pretty sure Lowe will land with Simmons at HBO. The football / baseball guys will be TBD.

ILoveOranges
10-30-2015, 04:26 PM

I'm pretty sure Lowe will land with Simmons at HBO. The football / baseball guys will be TBD.

Grantland shutting down is a definite dissapointment. I think ESPN's crowd just didn't have enough demand for in-depth articles. I remember reading that Grantland's staff commanded some heavier salaries though, due to the quality of its writers (many of which Simmons poached) so I can see both sides of it. I'm sure good things will come of their new careers though, especially with Simmons making HBO sports documentaries

BillMc
10-30-2015, 05:19 PM
How could he be satisfied his team lost? And to Kawhi's credit that's what he said.

Kool Bob Love
10-30-2015, 05:21 PM
This clown got his number and wants more no matter if it cost the team wins. This motherfucker! :pctoss

TheGreatYacht
10-30-2015, 05:33 PM
This clown got his number and wants more no matter if it cost the team wins. This motherfucker! :pctoss

K...
10-30-2015, 05:40 PM

Idk, Lowe is pretty straight basketball and I don't know if hbo wants that. Espn laid off staff, but said writers will finish their contracts. Some will undoubtedly be offered$$$ to stay, the question is how much and whether Lowe or any other writer is too butt hurt to take the Disney money.

I'd imagine he might end up at a more traditional sports service, and espn is still an important sports service.

Hoops Czar
10-30-2015, 05:41 PM
How could he be satisfied his team lost? And to Kawhi's credit that's what he said.

Why would he care about "meaningless regular season" games? I wish he would have cared more when he was getting pwned against Matt Barnes in the playoffs, when games actually mattered.

TheGreatYacht
10-30-2015, 05:44 PM
Why would he care about "meaningless regular season" games? I wish he would have cared more when he was getting pwned against Matt Barnes in the playoffs, when games actually mattered.
/Thread

DarrinS
10-30-2015, 05:47 PM
/Thread

TGY sucking off non-Spurs fans :lmao

Kool Bob Love
10-30-2015, 05:48 PM

So much truth.

Kool Bob Love
10-30-2015, 05:49 PM

^

deflecting from rom what is being posted. Clown status.

TheGreatYacht
10-30-2015, 05:51 PM
Lol not replying to Hoops. Probably too much text for your bad vision old man

Clipper Nation
10-30-2015, 05:52 PM

...is what you were saying about Porker after 6.

DarrinS
10-30-2015, 05:53 PM
Lol not replying to Hoops. Probably too much text for your bad vision old man

I'm only a few years older than Duncan, shitforbrains.

Kool Bob Love
10-30-2015, 05:55 PM
...is what you were saying about Porker after 6.

Shut up David.

TheGreatYacht
10-30-2015, 05:55 PM
I'm only a few years older than Duncan, shitforbrains.
I doubt Timmy witnessed the Titanic, good try though

SuperCam
10-30-2015, 06:08 PM

Kawhobe knows he doesn't have to pass anymore :bang

DarrinS
10-30-2015, 06:13 PM
Lol, these assclowns

cjw
10-30-2015, 07:27 PM
Idk, Lowe is pretty straight basketball and I don't know if hbo wants that. Espn laid off staff, but said writers will finish their contracts. Some will undoubtedly be offered$$$ to stay, the question is how much and whether Lowe or any other writer is too butt hurt to take the Disney money.

I'd imagine he might end up at a more traditional sports service, and espn is still an important sports service.

Simmons has shown a lot of love for him on his new podcast. If I'm him, I'd take the Disney money and put in half the amount of work (while spending the other half of my time trying to figure out my next move).

I had Insider (kept finding those $1/yr offers) but found that content was far worse than Grantland. While maybe commanding less eyeballs, they got more valuable ones. Combined with the fact that the new website layout is unusable, time to fully migrate away from ESPN.

ESPN is just a horribly mismanaged and the people at fault are the ones who bid up TV rights contracts. Good thing I didn't listen to the president, who gave my HS commencement address many years ago.

As someone mentioned, their only marquee properties are MNF (seems like they get the crappiest selection of games) and the NBA Finals. They also botched it on the World Cup losing to Fox, and trot out a bunch of crappy college football games.