PDA

View Full Version : OT: Espn cuts Grantland

InRareForm
10-30-2015, 01:59 PM
Effective immediately

velik_m
10-30-2015, 02:09 PM
That's sad. They actually had some good articles.

10-30-2015, 02:16 PM
After Simmons left, it was only a matter of time.

Robz4000
10-30-2015, 02:19 PM
:lol damn, ESPN falling apart

spankadelphia
10-30-2015, 02:29 PM
John Skipper is a dead man walking. He was more concerned with burying news about his beloved alma mater (notice how ESPN pretends like the North Carolina academic fraud scandal doesn't even exist) than doing his job.

HarlemHeat37
10-30-2015, 03:09 PM
:lol ESPN doesn't need Grantland, at all..anything under the ESPN umbrella needs their name far more than the company needs them, tbh..everybody there is very replaceable, which has been proven time and time again since their existence..

Their demographic is the casual fan that watches First Take-type of shows, Sportscenter highlights and anything NFL-related..they don't give a shit about niche content like Grantland, nor should they..

Thread
10-30-2015, 03:16 PM
I also heard they're going to pull their content from YouTube.

K...
10-30-2015, 03:18 PM
I wonder if this means Fox sports is winning? I've heard it's about cutting costs after record breaking television rights...Like the nba. So in a way...We killed Grant land. Nba fans.

DMC
10-30-2015, 03:55 PM
I also heard they're going to pull their content from YouTube.
Good, now you can pull your lips from mytube

hater
10-30-2015, 04:12 PM
Well there's lots of sports networks and with twitter, yahoo sports conglomerates. ESPN is probably falling. Good riddance. Worst sports network in history of human interaction

spursistan
10-30-2015, 04:14 PM
:lol ESPN doesn't need Grantland, at all..anything under the ESPN umbrella needs their name far more than the company needs them, tbh..everybody there is very replaceable, which has been proven time and time again since their existence..

Their demographic is the casual fan that watches First Take-type of shows, Sportscenter highlights and anything NFL-related..they don't give a shit about niche content like Grantland, nor should they..
all of this...that's why i now believe Billl Simmons when he said management half-assed it in their commitment to the site.. Hopefully talented and knowledgeable writers like Zach lowe joins him in the next venture..the niche content, after all, has an audience..

spankadelphia
10-30-2015, 04:19 PM
They paid too much money for products that didn't warrant that amount of financial expenditure (women's sports, American Athletic Conference, college basketball, etc...) and are now paying the price.

DPG21920
10-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Disagree some. Grantland, while more niche, had a popular following. If it were not for the fallout of Simmons/ESPN, it would still be going.

spankadelphia
10-30-2015, 04:43 PM
the fallout of Simmons/ESPN

Also John Skipper's doing. All of this can be traced to the Skip. He'll be called in to Burbank in a few months and replaced with someone who runs a much tighter ship.

TheGreatYacht
10-30-2015, 04:54 PM
Did the Grantland basketball hour even make it on TV? Last I remember they moved Jalen and Jacoby to YouTube and podcasts lol.

Loved Zach Lowe, but everyone else was a replaceable hipster.

Clipper Nation
10-30-2015, 05:11 PM
Wow, Simmons is a huge faggot:

hater
10-30-2015, 05:12 PM
They had a great show called stump the shlong or someshut
. That shit was cool. Now they have bunch of fat motherfuckers sitting around watching chimpsteven a smith and the white troll mummy looking guy argue. Fucking lame shit

InRareForm
10-30-2015, 05:25 PM
Don't worry, they will spend tons of money for cool looking graphics in studio so you will still keep watching sportscenter.

DMC
10-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Simmons is a great writer, so is Zach Lowe, but that's all they are. Like Adande, Haberstroh and John Hollinger, they are just writers. No one gives two shits about hearing them talk. It's like Jalen Rose, mediocre talent at best in his pro career, can't string two sentences together without some ebonic slippage or lyrical attempt.

Let the talkers talk, and let the writers write. All I care about is the game. Fuck the faggots.

HarlemHeat37
10-30-2015, 06:25 PM
^^ This is true, of course..

Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless are 2 of the least knowledgeable sports personalities I have ever seen in any media facet, yet they are multi-millionaires and widely recognized around the world..

Even "respected" journalists that have been sports TV staples like Wilbon and Kornheiser generally have awful, antiquated takes, but they were blessed to have a television show that was the first of it's kind..

I like Grantland, I'm a big fan of both Lowe and Simmons and their articles, but losing them doesn't matter to ESPN, at all..they can replace them with ex-players that give recycled, boring takes from when they played in 1995, and it won't make a difference to the casual fan, as long as they're discussing Lebron or the Lakers or the Knicks..

urunobili
10-30-2015, 06:29 PM
Simmons creation of the 30 for 30 series is his best contribution to ESPN TBH. The Grantland thing had an egomaniac fight written all over it.

JMarkJohns
10-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Wow, Simmons is a huge faggot:

It was Simmons idea. Fuck ESPN. I'm someone who believes intellectual property belongs to the visionary, not the corporation. I'm being told HBO will be bringing something very similar very shortly. Additionally, I was talking with Jamie O'Grady of Sports Illustrated's The Calderon and told him they need to recruit GL writers. Just 15 minutes ago The Caulderon started doing just that. Seems like SI will run some level of free intimation and HBO/Simmons will create a pay-for version.

But ESPN was never going to commit to GL for the long haul. As HH said, it's niche. Once Simmons departed, this was a certainty. Just didn't know when.

As for what Simmons did, yeah, it's petty, but it's his idea and creation. If ESPN lacks the balls to battle for and payup to keep the site, then fuck them. At least Simmons schemes were to recreate the site in some intimation with corporate backing that will actually back the project long term.

TheGreatYacht
10-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Zach Lowe + a bunch of hipsters.

Ex. The Starters, who are now with NBA TV

Clipper Nation
10-30-2015, 06:55 PM
It was Simmons idea. Fuck ESPN. I'm someone who believes intellectual property belongs to the visionary, not the corporation. I'm being told HBO will be bringing something very similar very shortly. Additionally, I was talking with Jamie O'Grady of Sports Illustrated's The Calderon and told him they need to recruit GL writers. Just 15 minutes ago The Caulderon started doing just that. Seems like SI will run some level of free intimation and HBO/Simmons will create a pay-for version.

But ESPN was never going to commit to GL for the long haul. As HH said, it's niche. Once Simmons departed, this was a certainty. Just didn't know when.

As for what Simmons did, yeah, it's petty, but it's his idea and creation. If ESPN lacks the balls to battle for and payup to keep the site, then fuck them. At least Simmons schemes were to recreate the site in some intimation with corporate backing that will actually back the project long term.
Hold up... Simmons is actually going to make people PAY to read his drivel? :lmao

This clown will be sucking Skipper's dick and begging for his old job back in a few years.

HI-FI
10-30-2015, 07:15 PM
They had a great show called stump the shlong or someshut
. That shit was cool. Now they have bunch of fat motherfuckers sitting around watching chimpsteven a smith and the white troll mummy looking guy argue. Fucking lame shit
:lol
stump the schwab or schlong was a good show.
Simmons always sounds like a whiny faggot, but I'll give him props for his NBA draft where he dropped some tbombs on the league and Stern.

pgardn
10-30-2015, 07:19 PM
Grant land had much better writers.

Oh well...

JMarkJohns
10-30-2015, 08:09 PM
Hold up... Simmons is actually going to make people PAY to read his drivel? :lmao

This clown will be sucking Skipper's dick and begging for his old job back in a few years.

ESPN needed Simmons much more than Simmons needed ESPN.

He walked from ESPN into a bidding war for his services.

He's the creative talent. ESPN was the distributor.

He created 30for30 and Grantland. ESPN created Bayless and Smith screaming at each other.

cjw
10-31-2015, 12:22 AM

Yup, pandering to lowest common denominator. But in a way, the best Grantland writers don't need the mothership and will be fine on their own. Simmons quoted something like 400k on average have downloaded each of his podcasts. I'm sure a guy like Lowe or the football writers would get a pretty darn good following at any media outlet.

Say Grantland had a staff of 50 and it was costing $100k a head (all in, which is probably high) after the Simmons departure. That's $5 million. They pay $100 million to air each MNF football game when nobody else was at half of that level. Whoever signed up to that deal is the one whose head should roll.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-31-2015, 01:06 AM
It was Simmons idea. Fuck ESPN. I'm someone who believes intellectual property belongs to the visionary, not the corporation.
Agree 1000000000000%.

Bill Simmons is a badass for doing this. This is similar to what I did (obviously on a much smaller scale) when сUNT tried to steal my pharmacy club and my facebook page, too, after that group of faggoty high horsemen took over the student organizations department here this past summer.

Fuck BSPN (Barf, Shit and Piss Network) for firing someone and then trying to steal his idea. If anything, the CEO and associated executives should get 25 to life behind bars (in a regular state penitentiary, not some pampered-up white collar soft prison) for grand theft of such intellectual property, seriously. Make BSPN take it up the ass, literally.

I'll say it once and I'll say it again::: FUCK BSPN.