PDA

View Full Version : Austin Spurs announce training camp roster; draft comes tomorrow

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-30-2015, 05:39 PM
Julian Washburn, Keifer Sykes, Youssou Ndoye as expected are there. Bryce Cotton and Jarell Eddie return. Cady Lalanne joins, as well as... Deshaun Thomas.

http://austin.dleague.nba.com/news/austin-spurs-announce-2015-returning-players-and-training-camp-invitees/

Robz4000
10-30-2015, 05:45 PM
Glad to see Thomas joined up. Lets see how a year or two in Austin helps him out. Also surprised Cotton rejoined the team; thought the Jazz had him under contract still, especially with the injury to Exum.

TheGreatYacht
10-30-2015, 05:46 PM
Thought Bryce would make it in Utah, especially after Exum got hurt for the season. I'm guessing they're keeping a spot open for a potential fan favorite......

TheGreatYacht
10-30-2015, 05:48 PM

Lol Jazz.

K...
10-30-2015, 06:06 PM
You think if the spurs knew they could have had cotton, they'd have punted on Ray?

SAGirl
10-30-2015, 06:52 PM
You think if the spurs knew they could have had cotton, they'd have punted on Ray?
Cotton is smaller than even Patty. His skillset is duplicative. With Tony and Patty, being small quick PG, Ray is actually a need. I know he had bad defensive numbers in Sacramento, but I saw him play tenacious defense in preseason. Ray is larger and stronger and hopefully provides something that our two other PGs do not in some toughness and tenaciousness on D. He's no CoJo, but he should be better than Patty/Tony in that regard.

K...
10-30-2015, 06:58 PM
But cotton knows the offense. Better question, would they punt on jimmer?

ElNono
10-30-2015, 06:59 PM
wonder if they'll draft Jimmer :lol

SAGirl
10-30-2015, 07:13 PM
But cotton knows the offense. Better question, would they punt on jimmer?
I would take Cotton over Jimmer TBH. I think the Jimmer signing was awful, and I am not sure what they were looking for there. For a pure shooter with no D, who at least has size and a quick release to get that shot off, Jarell Eddie is a better option. I think they signed him for plays off the dribble and playmaking, and Simmons took that job (who looked very questionable in preseason games as well, but at least he has size and athleticism on his side and could possibly work on his defensive fundamentals to have an impact on that end of the floor.) Jimmer was just pure bad.

cd98
10-30-2015, 08:48 PM
I would take Cotton over Jimmer TBH. I think the Jimmer signing was awful, and I am not sure what they were looking for there. For a pure shooter with no D, who at least has size and a quick release to get that shot off, Jarell Eddie is a better option. I think they signed him for plays off the dribble and playmaking, and Simmons took that job (who looked very questionable in preseason games as well, but at least he has size and athleticism on his side and could possibly work on his defensive fundamentals to have an impact on that end of the floor.) Jimmer was just pure bad.

Jimmer sells tickets. He has a dedicated following. He'll do well in the D League and sell tickets. My guess is a lot of those teams will want him.

SAGirl
10-30-2015, 08:54 PM
Jimmer sells tickets. He has a dedicated following. He'll do well in the D League and sell tickets. My guess is a lot of those teams will want him.
You are right about that, from a marketing standpoint it makes sense.