PDA

View Full Version : S.A. Shops till it drops

Kori Ellis
09-17-2005, 04:42 AM
S.A. Shops till it drops
Web Posted: 09/17/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Melissa S. Monroe
Express-News Business Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA091705.01A.LaCantera.220cf306.html

Few of the 4,800 parking spaces were open at 9:30 a.m. Friday for the Shops at La Cantera's grand opening celebration.

Many shoppers already were in line by 8 a.m. for Nordstrom's make-up tent sale and for giveaways. Even Spurs great David Robinson showed up.

"I came to check out the mall," he said. "The curiosity was killing me, but I'm not a big shopper."

Hundreds of women, and a few men, packed into a giant tent in Nordstrom's parking lot for makeovers and freebies in 90-degree heat.

A line formed at the center's Grand Pavilion for shopping bags filled with store discounts. Foley's had its own line of customers clamoring for $10 coupons.

After a week of galas and sneak-peek sales, the Shops at La Cantera officially opened.

Unlike most traditional malls, the much-anticipated outdoor center connects four department stores with a main-street feel showcasing 120 stores, lush landscaping, 2,800 trees, fountains and much-needed vortex fans for the Texas heat.

Besides anchors Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Dillard's and Foley's, it has about 30 luxury retailers new to San Antonio.

One newcomer was the Apple store, encircled with people eager for free T-shirts and a chance to win Apple Computer products.

Robinson just wanted to look inside.

"This is the best store in the whole mall," Robinson said while looking over an Apple desktop computer.

Like Robinson, plenty of people didn't want to miss the occasion. Many shoppers skipped work, school or other commitments.

The women at San Antonio export firm Valmont International carpooled at 7:30 a.m. to be among the first shoppers, said Lucie Ellis, a Valmont manager.

"We let all the females go shopping and left the men to answer the phones," Ellis said while taking a break in the Shops' Food Hall. (This is LJ's mom :lol)

And the Shops tried to entertain them. Military jets flew overhead, and the Clark High School band played the "Moving on Up" theme song from "The Jeffersons."

Some shoppers said they no longer have to go to Dallas and Houston for luxury goods.

Polly Lou Livingston traveled from the Alamo Heights area to check out the Neiman Marcus.

"I think I'm in New York City," she said.

Mollie Calvert, the Shops' senior marketing manager, said General Growth Properties Inc., which owns and manages the property, estimates 300,000 will visit by the end of Sunday.

In an effort to keep parking spots open Friday, the center bused all its employees from nearby Six Flags Fiesta Texas, she said.

But that didn't help.

Cars were following people to their vehicles to claim a space or offering to drive weary shoppers back to their spots.

The center still is a work in progress — favorites such as Starbucks, Cole Haan and Tourneau aren't open yet. Construction continues on several restaurants in the Food Hall, and landscape crews are still doing the finishing touches around the entrances.

But those last-minute details and Friday's humidity didn't faze most shoppers.

Patricia Pittman, a USAA mortgage counselor, took Friday off so she could get to Nordstrom's makeup tailgate party before 9:30 a.m., then spend the day shopping with her daughter and a friend.

Every five minutes, a radio station gave away cosmetic bags packed with goodies from Lancôme, Estée Lauder, Bobbi Brown and others at the tent sale. People waited up to 20 minutes for free coffee, pastries and bottles of water.

Tiffany & Co.'s F. Scott Shibley said he was impressed with the volume the presale events and opening brought in.

"It's a great day when a large number of people leave with blue boxes," said Shibley, referring to Tiffany's trademark robin's egg blue box.

Terri Shaw and Sheila Coffman, who were scoping out Neiman Marcus' shoe department, weren't quite ready to buy. Friday, Coffman said, was "the looking stage."

The buying will start today.

timvp
09-17-2005, 04:46 AM
Moms is funny.

:tu

ZStomp
09-17-2005, 06:48 AM
Is this a woman thing because I don't get it???

What's the big deal?

Kori Ellis
09-17-2005, 06:52 AM

What's the big deal?

You don't get what the big deal is about the mall opening?

Yes, it's more of a woman thing, but it's pretty cool in general to get stores that the city has never had before.

ZStomp
09-17-2005, 07:04 AM
You don't get what the big deal is about the mall opening?

Yes, it's more of a woman thing, but it's pretty cool in general to get stores that the city has never had before.

Ahhh...I see. I'm not a big shopper....I guess that's why I'm not 'into' or 'excited' about it all. :)

HB22inSA
09-17-2005, 07:42 AM
I give them no more than 5 years and it will be closed.

I don't think San Antonio can handle such extravagancy (is that a word?).

alamo50
09-17-2005, 08:04 AM

"This is the best store in the whole mall," Robinson said while looking over an Apple desktop computer.

:lol

Thanks for the post!

Shelly
09-17-2005, 08:11 AM
I get to go to a special preview af Sephora Sunday. I have connections :lol

ObiwanGinobili
09-17-2005, 08:18 AM

What's the big deal?

no. It's a "people who like to shop" thing. Cause I don't get it either. :lol

ObiwanGinobili
09-17-2005, 08:21 AM
I give them no more than 5 years and it will be closed.

I don't think San Antonio can handle such extravagancy (is that a word?).

I think they'll do just fine.
After all... Hartford has had Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom since before I was born (my mom was the spray girl at NM in high school).. .and they don;t have nearly as many people population wise as SA.

boutons
09-17-2005, 09:35 AM
Hartford? CT?

Hartord and its area is saturated with many more millionaires and upper-income clients who would shop at a La Cantera center than San Antonio will ever have.

However, these stores do their market research very well, so I don't think they'd be setting up here if they weren't awfully sure of success.

A key for the success of La Cantera is that its managed by the same group that runs North Star Mall, which remains amazingly attractive and successful after 44 years, while several other SA malls have come and gone. All those tall Sabal palmetto palm trees that NSM planted months ago are part of the revamp.

http://recenter.tamu.edu/news/recon040105.html

"NORTH STAR MALL RECEIVES REVAMP

SAN ANTONIO (MySanAntonio.com) – As the Shops at La Cantera is edging up on its Sept. 16 debut, 44-year-old North Star Mall has kicked renovations into gear. The $5 million revamp will include new flooring, new entrances, soft seating and landscaping. The mall is bringing in new tenants and current stores Saks Fifth Avenue and Dillard’s are undergoing upgrades as well.

North Star will gain tenants such as Armani Exchange, Hollister Co., restaurant Little Tokyo, Trade Secrets and Master Cuts.

Chicago-based General Growth Properties Inc. owns both North Star and the Shops at La Cantera. In July, officials projected that North Star would lose as much as 20 percent of traffic when the Shops open, but the mall’s general manager John Badagliacco estimates the loss will be much lower. North Star is working to shorten the length of renovations from the proposed three years.

Saks has recently introduced its new 7,000-square-foot designer ready-to-wear clothes in space adjacent to the main store. Eventually, the two stores will merge, officials said. Renovations for the 20-year-old store include dressing rooms, restrooms and lounge areas. Saks officials said that the renovations had been on the drawing board for some time.

Dillard’s will revamp the third and fourth floors of its North Star location, which were not included in upgrades from the mid-1990s. Marble flooring and new bathrooms will be complete in November."

HB22inSA
09-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Hartford has had Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom since before I was born
Harford where? Conn? It doesn't matter how many people are in the town, it's a question of economics, like boutons said.

San Antonio is fairly notorious for not accomodating or keeping high-end businesses or ventures.

ObiwanGinobili
09-17-2005, 03:17 PM
yeah hartford connecticut.
peopel always say there are lot of rich people in connecticut.
And i think there are........ I'm sure there are some in greenwhich, avon, mystic, new hartford.
but they must've all invested in invisability machines becaue they stayd pretty well hidden from the rest of us

Kori Ellis
09-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Harford where? Conn? It doesn't matter how many people are in the town, it's a question of economics, like boutons said.

San Antonio is fairly notorious for not accomodating or keeping high-end businesses or ventures.

It's just a mall.

The only really high-end stores in it are Tiffany and Neiman Marcus, right? San Antonio already had a Sak's. And Nordstrom, though it has a fabulous shoe department, isn't really high-end at all. I think the mall will flourish. There wasn't a good mall near this side of town. Dominion dwellers and rich people from Mexico will be enough to keep Tiffany/Neiman/Saks afloat. And the rest of the stores will do well just from average shoppers.

angel_luv
09-17-2005, 03:41 PM
It sounds like a great place. I look forward to get to look around. I want to go to Tiffany's. I have never been.

Kori Ellis
09-17-2005, 03:42 PM
It sounds like a great place. I look forward to get to look around. I want to go to Tiffany's. I have never been.

I've been to the one on Rodeo Dr. in Beverly Hills just to look, but never got anything from there. I was looking at their jewelry last night on their website. There's a lot of outrageously priced stuff, but there's reasonably priced jewelry (especially in silver) too.

Dos
09-17-2005, 03:42 PM
apple store.. I am there.. I want a free t shirt .. damm it... I am probably too late..

Shelly
09-17-2005, 03:53 PM
I've been to the one on Rodeo Dr. in Beverly Hills just to look, but never got anything from there. I was looking at their jewelry last night on their website. There's a lot of outrageously priced stuff, but there's reasonably priced jewelry (especially in silver) too.

I've got a few silver pieces from Tiffany's--a neckace and a couple of earrings. Their jewelry is very heavy because it's solid.

I'm glad they opened one here because now I can get my damn watch fixed!

HB22inSA
09-17-2005, 03:57 PM
This place is going to cost a whole hell of a lot of money to boyfriends and husbands everywhere.

I'm glad my girl likes to go to flea markets and the dollar store!!!

Horry For 3!
09-17-2005, 04:06 PM
La Cantera, where is that at?

Shelly
09-17-2005, 04:16 PM
The only shops that I think might not make would be places like Burberry, Polo, etc. Mainly because Department stores sell that stuff and their sales will be better than the individual store. I've seen that happen at some malls in So. CA.

Honestly, I'm surprised they put a Burberry here to begin with. I don't see that store being a big hit here.

Kori Ellis
09-17-2005, 04:21 PM
The only shops that I think might not make would be places like Burberry, Polo, etc. Mainly because Department stores sell that stuff and their sales will be better than the individual store. I've seen that happen at some malls in So. CA.

Honestly, I'm surprised they put a Burberry here to begin with. I don't see that store being a big hit here.

I agree about Burberry. To me, that store makes no sense. You can get Burberry in every department store. And I find their stuff very ugly anyway :lol I don't think it can survive. Maybe Polo can, depending on if they have a lot of items that aren't carried in department stores.

Shelly
09-17-2005, 04:27 PM
I agree about Burberry. To me, that store makes no sense. You can get Burberry in every department store. And I find their stuff very ugly anyway :lol I don't think it can survive. Maybe Polo can, depending on if they have a lot of items that aren't carried in department stores.

Their stuff is very Ivy League, if you will! :lol

The mall by my parents revamped and became high end. They had Donna Karan, Polo, etc. They all ended up closing. Of course, they also had competiton from South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island which may have had something to do with it.

Horry For 3!
09-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Where is La Cantera located??????

Shelly
09-17-2005, 04:34 PM
http://www.theshopsatlacantera.com/html/index6.asp

Kori Ellis
09-17-2005, 04:34 PM
You don't know your way around San Antonio anyway, but it's 1604 and 10.

Horry For 3!
09-17-2005, 04:37 PM
You don't know your way around San Antonio anyway, but it's 1604 and 10.
My mom wanted to know.

Kori Ellis
09-17-2005, 04:38 PM
My mom wanted to know.

Okay, I wasn't intentionally not answering you. I didn't see your post the first time.

Horry For 3!
09-17-2005, 04:43 PM
I was looking at the stores and such on that website. Pretty good..

samikeyp
09-17-2005, 05:17 PM

yeah, my wife said to me yesterday.."we need to go and just walk around." hmm...just walk around? Yeah, that's going to happen! :)

TheWriter
09-17-2005, 06:08 PM
Something people may not know.

Since 1990, the San Antonio poverty line has fallen from 18 percent to just under 14 percent.

Also, San Antonio’s per capita income recently surpassed Houston's.

San Antonio is a vastly different city/metro area from the early 1990's.

Since 2000 (and as of 2004) San Antonio's metro has seen a 16.4 percent growth.

That's a lot.

TOP-CHERRY
09-17-2005, 06:25 PM
TheWriter for mayor.

TheWriter
09-17-2005, 06:32 PM
TheWriter for mayor.

Thank you. Thank you. :smokin

I'll let Mayor Hardberger keep his seat, he is doing a damn good job.

T Park
09-17-2005, 06:53 PM
South Coast Plaza

South Coast is the shiznit.

Uncle_Rico
09-17-2005, 07:03 PM
burberry might make it. yes, burberry is sold at dept stores, but it's only a few polo type shirts. foleys and dillards barely sell any of it.

now the lacoste store may not becase everyone sells that shit.

PM5K
09-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Even Spurs great David Robinson showed up.

"I came to check out the mall," he said. "The curiosity was killing me, but I'm not a big shopper."

What a liar, I saw him there again today going into the Sony Style store.

I don't blame him or anything, and I appreciate his taste in stores, I love the gadgets as well and the Apple Store and the Sony Style store are the best there for gadgets, but man up and admit that you love to shop for gadgets and you love The Shops because they are so close to home....

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 12:18 AM
What a liar, I saw him there again today going into the Sony Style store.

I don't blame him or anything, and I appreciate his taste in stores, I love the gadgets as well and the Apple Store and the Sony Style store are the best there for gadgets, but man up and admit that you love to shop for gadgets and you love The Shops because they are so close to home....

David is a tech freak.

So by shopping, he probably means clothes and stuff.

Buying computers and stuff isn't really "shopping." It's more like "buying shit." :lol

Drachen
09-18-2005, 02:41 AM
[B]

One newcomer was the Apple store, encircled with people eager for free T-shirts and a chance to win Apple Computer products.

Like Robinson, plenty of people didn't want to miss the occasion. Many shoppers skipped work, school or other commitments.

This is funny because he bought his Ipod Nano from my ex-GF.

HB22inSA
09-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Something people may not know.

Since 1990, the San Antonio poverty line has fallen from 18 percent to just under 14 percent.

Also, San Antonio’s per capita income recently surpassed Houston's.

San Antonio is a vastly different city/metro area from the early 1990's.

Since 2000 (and as of 2004) San Antonio's metro has seen a 16.4 percent growth.

That's a lot.

Since SA is the Nation's 9th largest city, do me a favor, "mayor," and research the poverty line for the top 10 in the Nation.

Can you tell me who comes in last?

(cue the Jeopardy song)

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 09:26 AM

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Since SA is the Nation's 9th largest city, do me a favor, "mayor," and research the poverty line for the top 10 in the Nation.

(cue the Jeopardy song)

8th largest city, but 29th largest metro.

Dude, under 14 percent on the poverty level is pretty damn good for 2 million people, not to mention its a drop from 18 percent in 1990.

But if you'd like to know, Houston is 16%, Dallas is 15%, Los Angeles is 18%, Phoenix is 12%, Chicago is 20% but Philly is the winner (or loser) with 25%.

davi78239
09-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Well, I went yesterday and I was very impressed with this mall. This definently puts a dent in the "Po Dunk" aspect of San Antonio. I think it'll do just fine with the constant shoppers coming in from Mexico and just the general shopping population of San Antonio. Aren't they supposed to do like two more phases or so to the mall? I know they plan to add a movie theatre to the next phase. Does anyone know?

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Well, I went yesterday and I was very impressed with this mall. This definently puts a dent in the "Po Dunk" aspect of San Antonio. I think it'll do just fine with the constant shoppers coming in from Mexico and just the general shopping population of San Antonio. Aren't they supposed to do like two more phases or so to the mall? I know they plan to add a movie theatre to the next phase. Does anyone know?

A movie theater and 30 more shops in phase II.

I believe phase III is a "restaurant row." meaning a bunch of restaurants in a concentrated area next to The Shops.

blackbucket
09-18-2005, 07:02 PM

(cue the Jeopardy song)

8th largest city, but 29th largest metro.

Dude, under 14 percent on the poverty level is pretty damn good for 2 million people, not to mention its a drop from 18 percent in 1990.

But if you'd like to know, Houston is 16%, Dallas is 15%, Los Angeles is 18%, Phoenix is 12%, Chicago is 20% but Philly is the winner (or loser) with 25%.

Spank! :lol

Shelly
09-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Just got back from there. Totally reminds me of the Irvine Spectrum in CA. I guess the best days to shop when there won't be any crowds will be when it's raining. Kinda like the best time to go to Disneyland.

And we had takeout PF Changs :)

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Went there earlier today and bought a ipod Nano from the Apple Store.

Man, its a sweet place.

TheWriter
09-19-2005, 12:28 AM
What was up with that Lotus car?

That thing was freakin' small.