View Full Version : Is this team ever going to run a PnP or Roll with aldridge

apalisoc_9
10-30-2015, 09:26 PM
PnP so far that resulted in shots 4
PnR with Aldridge a big FAT 0

In two games

MI21
10-30-2015, 09:32 PM
Gotta admit I have been thinking the same thing.

Maybe it's such an obvious strength of LaMarcus that they want to get him doing other things first, who knows.

Sidenote, his man to man defense has been exceptional and better than advertised.

apalisoc_9
10-30-2015, 09:34 PM
They need to start giving him some jumpers even for a little bit.

SpursFan86
10-30-2015, 09:35 PM
Yeah I don't get why they're hardly utilizing him at all in that aspect. Not saying it should be the entire offense, but there has practically been no PnR/PnPop at all with him.

look_at_g_shred
10-30-2015, 09:53 PM
He gets them but then passes out for the "extra pass"

theMatrix
10-30-2015, 09:58 PM
Easy to say but hard to do imo.
In a PnR, the defense has to choose between doubling the ballhandler and sending a help to the roller, or just letting the ballhandler get a jumpshot.
In other offenses like clippers, CP3 is so good that most the time the defenders choose to double cp3 on the pick, and thus the roll man is empty.
For our PnR, we find that when we PnR with LMA, defenses stick to LMA, and allow the ballhandler to do what he wants, which is why our PG will find it difficult to pass it into the roll man, and instead have to take it to the hoop himself or pass out to the open 3. So in a sense, we are using him, but as a decoy because he opens up other options. Previously with splitter defenses will just let him be open and thats why manu is able to pass him so many nice assists. Its all about the gravity of the person. LMA just has much more gravity than other bigs and thats why its hard to PnR with him.

SpurPadre
10-30-2015, 10:10 PM
I'd like to see them running these plays with West, too. All in due time.

apalisoc_9
10-30-2015, 10:12 PM
I am not advocating it to be the focal point of the offense..far from it. I just like to see it run early in the season when your playing against shitty teams

TimDunkem
10-30-2015, 10:18 PM
He actually gets open quite often, but passes it every time.

siraulo23
10-30-2015, 10:18 PM
They are, the teams are just staying with aldridge. The ball handler needs to attack/get by the defender to force the defense to rotate. Then you'll see aldridge getting more open shots

SAGirl
10-31-2015, 03:42 AM
In a PnR, the defense has to choose between doubling the ballhandler and sending a help to the roller, or just letting the ballhandler get a jumpshot.
In other offenses like clippers, CP3 is so good that most the time the defenders choose to double cp3 on the pick, and thus the roll man is empty.
For our PnR, we find that when we PnR with LMA, defenses stick to LMA, and allow the ballhandler to do what he wants, which is why our PG will find it difficult to pass it into the roll man, and instead have to take it to the hoop himself or pass out to the open 3. So in a sense, we are using him, but as a decoy because he opens up other options. Previously with splitter defenses will just let him be open and thats why manu is able to pass him so many nice assists. Its all about the gravity of the person. LMA just has much more gravity than other bigs and thats why its hard to PnR with him.

That also requires that you have a good ballhandler and passer to run that PnR. Very few minutes playing together, but Anderson and Aldridge have had some succesful PnR action together already, some of it ending in good things for Anderson who got an open dunk precisely bc Aldridge's man refused to help off him, and Aldridge set a mean pick leaving Anderson free. That play then set the stage for this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIyyDagig_M
Once Anderson did what he wanted, next time he ran a PnR with Aldridge, Pistons came out to deter him, he made a nice bounce pass to Aldridge for a dunk and the assist to him. Even last game, there was a play in the game, where Anderson set up Aldridge for a kind of corner 3, but Anderson was fouled on the play on the pass. For the play to work you need someone who can get to the rim off the dribble and is a smart passer/player, who can also react quickly out of a trap on a double team without turning the ball over. It's a task for a PG or a smart passer/player like Ginobili. I am very encouraged to have seen plays like the one I posted above from Anderson with LMA.

apalisoc_9
10-31-2015, 03:45 AM
SAgirl, stop daydreaming about LMA and Anderson..It's not going to happen..if it does, it will be rarely used..very rarely used.

SAGirl
10-31-2015, 04:22 AM
SAgirl, stop daydreaming about LMA and Anderson..It's not going to happen..if it does, it will be rarely used..very rarely used.
It will be used when they play together, its sort of a go to thing for Anderson. He's not an iso guy. He actually plays with the bigs a lot. LMA happens to be a star big, so a two man game between them will end up with good shots for Anderson or he's skilled enough to find LMA rolling or on a PnP. They won't spend many minutes together as Anderson is unlikely to play more than 12 minutes unless Manu is resting, but they could play together, since LMA is spending some time playing with the bench. We are actually very likely to see plays like this when they are togehter in the court.

jermaine
10-31-2015, 04:46 AM
I feel the same. Its like the team is settling back into their old selves an forgetting West an LMA is on the team. They run the p&p to death with Diaw thou. Never West or LMA

dweaver99027
10-31-2015, 05:06 AM
I'd be more concerned about the lack of proper spacing when he gets the ball down low...

SpursBig3s
10-31-2015, 10:20 AM

That's an excellent point and I didn't even think of it in that way.

DMC
10-31-2015, 10:56 AM
He needs to be in a few film sessions with the team to see where he's positioned wrongly, where he should have taken the shot, where the PnR or PnP opportunities exist. He'll get there, that much is certain already.