PDA

View Full Version : KD 53 minutes, Westbrook 47 minutes

DarrinS
10-31-2015, 08:55 AM
Both scored over 40 points in their double OT win against the Magic.

They need to have more balance. Is the new coach just repeating the same failed strategy of Scott Brooks? I mean, they're undefeated, but relying so heavily on two players is going to cost them at some point.

EVAY
10-31-2015, 08:59 AM

They need to have more balance. Is the new coach just repeating the same failed strategy of Scott Brooks? I mean, they're undefeated, but relying so heavily on two players is going to cost them at some point.

It appears so.

And yes, that heavy reliance on the two stars has cost them in every season they have played both of them.

My guess is that the new coach is trying to keep both KD and Westbrook happy by playing them however long they want to play. And yes, I believe that will bite them in the ass before the end of the season.

Fireball
10-31-2015, 09:00 AM
playing Durant that many minutes at the start of a season after that foot injury is pretty stupid tbh

random21
10-31-2015, 09:02 AM
They went into double OT... Though I agree why risk those guys that many mins over a regular season game...

DarrinS
10-31-2015, 09:11 AM
Starters: 108 pts
Bench: 31 pts

ceperez
10-31-2015, 09:14 AM
Donovan is a new coach and doesn't have the luxury of taking losses this early in the season. Too bad, Durant and Westbrook will be burnt out come playoff time.

Thomas82
10-31-2015, 09:15 AM
If they keep this up they'll burn out by the end of the year.

Chinook
10-31-2015, 09:29 AM

Hell no. Run Westbrook into the ground. Dude's the only thing keeping my fantasy team afloat this week. Helps me and the Spurs that way.

DarrinS
10-31-2015, 09:31 AM
Hell no. Run Westbrook into the ground. Dude's the only thing keeping my fantasy team afloat this week. Helps me and the Spurs that way.

:lol

Harry Callahan
10-31-2015, 09:32 AM
Keep it up college coach. I like it.

Donovan is a college guy - you can't shake 20 years of it right away.

Two words - Jones Fracture.

DarrinS
10-31-2015, 09:36 AM
Rumors that KD may leave OKC if they don't ring this year. They are going "all in". Can't wait until we play them again. Every game against them is going to be super competitive.

TXstbobcat
10-31-2015, 09:41 AM
If Donovan wants to over play both of them and risk injury then that is fine with me.

spurs10
10-31-2015, 09:47 AM
If Donovan wants to over play both of them and risk injury then that is fine with me. Exactly!

dbestpro
10-31-2015, 10:42 AM
The clock is ticking on OKC. They need to run more of their game through the post, otherwise they are toast come playoff time when the game gets physical.

DMC
10-31-2015, 10:47 AM

New coach doesn't yet have a strategy. He's not powerful enough in the organization to force change with superstars. He will have to earn their respect before he can change anything, so all he's going to do is soak up credit for their wins and try to keep his job. That team is beyond help now though, they are a known quantity and their quality is predicated on their PG's ego. RW is a superstar, no doubt, but so is Carmelo and he'll never win shit.

DMC
10-31-2015, 10:50 AM
Rumors that KD may leave OKC if they don't ring this year. They are going "all in". Can't wait until we play them again. Every game against them is going to be super competitive.
If you're the lead guy and you base your decision to stay or go on your own product, you're fucking retarded. KD isn't retarded. If he goes, it's not because they lost again. It's because he cannot be as effective as he could be, can't win by trying harder, because his biggest stopper is on his own team. He won't say that, but he knows it.

SuperCam
10-31-2015, 11:28 AM
Regular season tryhard teams :lol

Mr Bones
10-31-2015, 02:15 PM
If KD leaves next season, it's a good bet that Ibaka leaves the season after that... then OKC has a 29 year old Westbrook with an incredibly weak supporting cast. And if you think Tony Parker looks bad, having lost his once incredible quickness, just wait until you see a 33 year old Russell Westbrook, no longer the best athlete on the floor, putting up questionable shots & dominating the ball more than 2015 Kobe. I'm looking forward to that.

Roger Freemason Jr.
10-31-2015, 03:47 PM
Meanwhile, no Spur played over 29 minutes last night, and we routed a team we're supposed to (teams like the Magic). I can't believe the plan is still to run their two superstars into the ground. I guess they aren't legit title contenders this season after all.

cd98
10-31-2015, 03:51 PM
Those two play heavy minutes every year. Maybe it leads to an injury. But they are young enough to handle the minutes.

Old School 44
10-31-2015, 03:52 PM
+1 this is driving everything for OKC.

daslicer
10-31-2015, 03:55 PM
They are showing the game again on NBA TV right now. Just watching this game I can tell OKC is putting a huge emphasis on offense and speeding up the game but their defense is terrible. The magic are easily getting to the hole or getting whatever shot they want. It seems like OKC is betting that having a super power offense will make up for lack of defense and will be just enough to win a title.

DMC
10-31-2015, 04:26 PM
They are showing the game again on NBA TV right now. Just watching this game I can tell OKC is putting a huge emphasis on offense and speeding up the game but their defense is terrible. The magic are easily getting to the hole or getting whatever shot they want. It seems like OKC is betting that having a super power offense will make up for lack of defense and will be just enough to win a title.
This is typical for a 1st year coach in the NBA. Team has no direction so they default to what they know... offense. Defense is a choreographed exhibition of teamwork and hustle. Offense is genetic gift with a group emphasis (group being KD and RW) of forcing the refs to decide a call. You see "shoot around" but you never see "defend around". Everyone wants to shoot, it comes before even learning to dribble.

Gladney to see you
10-31-2015, 04:32 PM
They have the same problem they've always had. Can't win with 2 players.

objective
10-31-2015, 04:49 PM
Wait, so just in regulation Durant played 43 minutes and Westbrook 37? Ridiculous.

Harry Callahan
10-31-2015, 06:06 PM
If KD leaves next season, it's a good bet that Ibaka leaves the season after that... then OKC has a 29 year old Westbrook with an incredibly weak supporting cast. And if you think Tony Parker looks bad, having lost his once incredible quickness, just wait until you see a 33 year old Russell Westbrook, no longer the best athlete on the floor, putting up questionable shots & dominating the ball more than 2015 Kobe. I'm looking forward to that.

Ditto. Snaggle toothed bastard....

tmtcsc
10-31-2015, 06:33 PM

Is the new coach just repeating the same failed strategy of Scott Brooks?

New coach, S.O.S.. They're the Thuder, it's what they do and why they won't win shit as far Championships. Expect more nights like last night but with "L"'s to follow. Spurs had the first game under control until brainfarts by Tony and DG. No worries.

Spurtacular
10-31-2015, 06:34 PM

Will it though? They've always been a great regular season team; and they've always seemed to be preserved enough (minus injuries). I'd preserve them more as a precaution if I was coaching. But I can't say they're definitively hurt by this.

KaiRMD1
11-01-2015, 01:21 AM
There was once a time where they were considered young and indestructible thus the minutes didn't matter.

widowmaker
11-01-2015, 01:38 AM
Deion waiters turn around fade away jumpers.

NameLess Scrub
11-01-2015, 01:55 AM
I agree these guys are being run into the ground.
But they'll keep doing it to get wins. Besides, Westbrook seems to know no better than getting a screen and shooting himself into the paint.
It gave them the win against ORL.

Give the Magic some credit though. Kids are talented and capable of putting on a great offensive show.
This is the year they must start showing they're a competitive team too..

NameLess Scrub
11-01-2015, 02:01 AM
New coach doesn't yet have a strategy. He's not powerful enough in the organization to force change with superstars. He will have to earn their respect before he can change anything, so all he's going to do is soak up credit for their wins and try to keep his job. That team is beyond help now though, they are a known quantity and their quality is predicated on their PG's ego. RW is a superstar, no doubt, but so is Carmelo and he'll never win shit.

We'll know better if Donovan is able, or even wants to, make changes to that as the season progresses.
I'd think he wasn't brought to do the same as Brooks and fail..

dweaver99027
11-01-2015, 06:08 AM
Wow, some serious 'secretly scared shitless of OKC' going on here...

YGWHI
11-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Call me crazy, but there was some nice Thunder ball movement against us.

TheDoctor
11-01-2015, 03:28 PM
I agree. They're young, they can absorb heavy minutes, but at the same time it increases the chances of injury. I don't mind that.

Also, remember the Spurs were about to win the game if not for that scrub of Waiters going ape shit on Tony. So hopefully, Donovan emulate Brook's style and burn his players out. But once LMA and co starts to gel and play a lot better OKC wont scare me that much. LMA was off vs OKC and he usually use Ibaka as his bitch

UNT Eagles 2016
11-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Donovan is a new coach and doesn't have the luxury of taking losses this early in the season. Too bad, Durant and Westbrook will be burnt out come playoff time.

If they finish #1 in the conference.... it won't matter, because nobody can beat them in their building twice in a playoff series with that HCA and refs tbh

UNT Eagles 2016
11-01-2015, 07:58 PM
I agree. They're young, they can absorb heavy minutes, but at the same time it increases the chances of injury. I don't mind that.

Also, remember the Spurs were about to win the game if not for that scrub of Waiters going ape shit on Tony. So hopefully, Donovan emulate Brook's style and burn his players out. But once LMA and co starts to gel and play a lot better OKC wont scare me that much. LMA was off vs OKC and he usually use Ibaka as his bitch
if we have to play them in the playoffs with a worse seed, Duncan might as well start planning retirement early.

YGWHI
11-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Give the Magic some credit though. Kids are talented and capable of putting on a great offensive show.
This is the year they must start showing they're a competitive team too..

The Magic look good, they have some kind of small-ball interchangeability with Harris, Gordon, Fournier...

GreggPopAsnitch
11-01-2015, 10:00 PM
Did this game
: make u fear OKC more
: make u respect orl more?

NameLess Scrub
11-02-2015, 08:52 AM
The Magic look good, they have some kind of small-ball interchangeability with Harris, Gordon, Fournier...

They do. The roster is versatile, you and athletic.
They still can't close out games though.
And stuff like their 3pt shooting still need to improve.

Did this game
: make u fear OKC more
: make u respect orl more?

I guess both :lol

Spur84
11-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Thunder are nothing until they win a trophy (and the one won when they were the Sonics in '79 doesn't count.) They are the Utah Jazz of today and they won't make through this season without one of their superstars getting injured. Also, that p.o.s Clay Bennet doesn't deserve a Larry O'Brien in his office after he stole the Sonics from Seattle.