PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Texas Country Song/Singer

Kdfelicity
09-17-2005, 12:05 PM
It's probably no mystery who's the most famous/successful Texas Country singer- Pat Green. My favorite of his is "Crazy". Not many know it. So if you haven't heard it, go have a listen. I also love Cross Canadian Ragweed (got a sticker on my car that proves it). "Alabama" is my favorite of theirs, another good listen.

spurs=bling
09-17-2005, 12:12 PM
It's probably no mystery who's the most famous/successful Texas Country singer- Pat Green. My favorite of his is "Crazy". Not many know it. So if you haven't heard it, go have a listen. I also love Cross Canadian Ragweed (got a sticker on my car that proves it). "Alabama" is my favorite of theirs, another good listen.
:tu go KD

KEDA
09-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Pat Green

Roger Creager

Asleep at the Wheel

Kevin Fowler

Cooder Graw

Gary Allen

spurs=bling
09-17-2005, 12:16 PM
George Strait, i like his songs

spurs_2108
09-17-2005, 12:46 PM
George Strait isn't Texas Country. Pat Green is pretty sweet. I like Cross Canadian Ragweed more tho. I just preorderd "Garage" this past week. The CD is released Oct 4. I can't wait.

angel_luv
09-17-2005, 01:01 PM
:makemyday

Hey bling, I'm thinking of starting a Favorite Texas Country Song/Singer thread. What do you think, do you think I'll get shot?

:lol Sorry! Could not resist! = )

Ginofan
09-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Pat Green - Southbound 35
Cross Canadian Ragweed - 17
Charlie Robison - The Wedding Song
Jack Ingram - Barbie Doll
Robert Earl Keen - Front Porch Song
Pat Green - George's Bar (live)

Horry For 3!
09-17-2005, 01:16 PM
Kevin Fowler, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Jason Boland

NeoConIV
09-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Leeann Rimes count?

spurs=bling
09-17-2005, 01:29 PM
:makemyday

:lol Sorry! Could not resist! = )

what ??? :lol

spurs=bling
09-17-2005, 01:30 PM
George Strait isn't Texas Country. Pat Green is pretty sweet. I like Cross Canadian Ragweed more tho. I just preorderd "Garage" this past week. The CD is released Oct 4. I can't wait.
so ?? :spin

spurs=bling
09-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Angel you know i only share my troubles with you.

and i share Mr. Miller :) ;) with you only too.

Jimcs50
09-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Rodney Crowell. Houston boy. Awesome singer songwriter.

It's such a small World with wife Rosanne Cash is a classic that you must listen to.

BigDaddyMatty
09-17-2005, 01:45 PM
charlie robison - life of the party
cory morrow - texas time travelin machine
honeybrowne - texas angel
jason boland - copperhead road
kevin fowler - if texas aint heavan

Kdfelicity
09-17-2005, 01:51 PM

It's such a small World with wife Rosanne Cash is a classic that you must listen to.

:tu :tu
NICE JIM!!! I love Rodney. His new cd is so brilliant. I trust you heard/have it.

Kori Ellis
09-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Country Music? :vomit

Horry For 3!
09-17-2005, 01:54 PM
:lol

Kdfelicity
09-17-2005, 02:02 PM

:nope
NOTE: Texas Country and Country Music are quite different. Texas country has a rock edge to it. AND it usually won't make it Nashville. That's what makes it so good. It's different and I think it just makes you feel good.

Kori Ellis
09-17-2005, 02:05 PM
NOTE: Texas Country and Country Music are quite different. Texas country has a rock edge to it. AND it usually won't make it Nashville. That's what makes it so good. It's different and I think it just makes you feel good.

Texas Country? :vomit

Kdfelicity
09-17-2005, 02:10 PM

Now, now. Have you even heard any of these fine performers we have mentioned? If not, don't knock it till you try it. :)

Kori Ellis
09-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Now, now. Have you even heard any of these fine performers we have mentioned? If not, don't knock it till you try it. :)

I've heard most of them. I tried to like it, but it really annoys me. Any music with any sort of country influence doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I've always been like that.

I hate the Beatles and Elvis too. So maybe I'm just unusual :lol

Kdfelicity
09-17-2005, 02:16 PM
I've heard most of them. I tried to like it, but it really annoys me. Any music with any sort of country influence doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I've always been like that.

I stand to say that if you saw them live you might change your mind. Pat Green is Oct. 29th. I'm excited as ever. You may have to be my date and use my other ticket Nate's getting me. :lol

Horry For 3!
09-17-2005, 02:22 PM

The Beatles & Elvis owns. I have their cds :)

Kdfelicity
09-17-2005, 02:32 PM
charlie robison - life of the party
cory morrow - texas time travelin machine
honeybrowne - texas angel
jason boland - copperhead road
kevin fowler - if texas aint heavan

Hey Matty, you need to check these out if you haven't heard them...
Cory Morrow- 21 Days on the Road
Jason Boland- "I'm an ass-hole", "I'm an alright guy"
Kevin Fowler- "Loose, Loud, Crazy", "Hard Man to Love"

spurs=bling
09-17-2005, 03:04 PM
:elephant

spurs=bling
09-17-2005, 03:11 PM
:smokin

Ginofan
09-17-2005, 03:16 PM
I stand to say that if you saw them live you might change your mind. Pat Green is Oct. 29th. I'm excited as ever. You may have to be my date and use my other ticket Nate's getting me. :lol

That show should be pretty good, Pat Green with Cory Morrow and Kevin Fowler and lots of other people. I'm hoping to score some tickets soon!

angel_luv
09-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Angel you know i only share my troubles with you.

and i share Mr. Miller :) ;) with you only too.

Thanks!

Mr. Miller is a cute kid but I already have a man. = )

angel_luv
09-17-2005, 03:44 PM

I'm with Kori for the most part concerning country. I like the more current artist like Toby Keith, Faith Hill, Shedaisy but stick to their pop sounding songs.

spurs=bling
09-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks!

Mr. Miller is a cute kid but I already have a man. = )

Jekka
09-17-2005, 04:06 PM

My mom apparently went out with him for a while. She won't tell me all the stories though :lol

I'm not a big fan of most country - I hate most of the modern stuff, and I absolutely loathe the "more patriotic than thou" shit that a lot of them are putting out. My favorite country singer has to be Johnny Cash though - his voice was so amazing. I grew up listening to him and Willie Nelson, and I think they are both still my favorite country singers.

Kdfelicity
09-17-2005, 04:51 PM
That show should be pretty good, Pat Green with Cory Morrow and Kevin Fowler and lots of other people. I'm hoping to score some tickets soon!

I'm so stoked bout that night. Shooter Jennings is going to be there too. I was in Nashville for Fan Fair this year and he came out with his long hair, rockin on his guitar at the Grand Ole Opry and all the old people in there were like :wow , what the hell is this?? It was great. I, on the other hand, jumped up and went crazy!!!

spurs=bling
09-17-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm so stoked bout that night. Shooter Jennings is going to be there too. I was in Nashville for Fan Fair this year and he came out with his long hair, rockin on his guitar at the Grand Ole Opry and all the old people in there were like :wow , what the hell is this?? It was great. I, on the other hand, jumped up and went crazy!!!

mugatu
09-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Man I had no idea how many rednecks visit the Club, :lmao

Kdfelicity
09-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Man I had no idea how many rednecks visit the Club, :lmao

See, bling, I knew I was gonna get knocked at some point for putting up the thread. I am NOT a redneck. I don't have a farm or horse. Also, you don't have to be a redneck to like TEXAS country. I know plenty of people who HATE COUNTRY MUSIC but LOVE TEXAS COUNTRY, IT'S SO DIFFERENT!!!!!! How many ways can I say it??? I bet the jazz thread is getting flack. Why do people have such a problem with country, it's so easy going usually, its harmless. At least you can hear the words and sing along.

Zombie
09-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Moe Bandy!

spurs=bling
09-17-2005, 08:02 PM
See, bling, I knew I was gonna get knocked at some point for putting up the thread. I am NOT a redneck. I don't have a farm or horse. Also, you don't have to be a redneck to like TEXAS country. I know plenty of people who HATE COUNTRY MUSIC but LOVE TEXAS COUNTRY, IT'S SO DIFFERENT!!!!!! How many ways can I say it??? I bet the jazz thread is getting flack. Why do people have such a problem with country, it's so easy going usually, its harmless. At least you can hear the words and sing along.

who cares what a miami heat fan says, its what you like.

hussker
09-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Rodney Crowell

Ginofan
09-17-2005, 08:05 PM
My mom apparently went out with him for a while. She won't tell me all the stories though :lol

I'm not a big fan of most country - I hate most of the modern stuff, and I absolutely loathe the "more patriotic than thou" shit that a lot of them are putting out. My favorite country singer has to be Johnny Cash though - his voice was so amazing. I grew up listening to him and Willie Nelson, and I think they are both still my favorite country singers.

Are you going to check out that movie they are making about Cash, "Walk the Line"?

hussker
09-17-2005, 08:08 PM
Are you going to check out that movie they are making about Cash, "Walk the Line"?
I will. Cash was a great performer and an even better storyline. What a story indeed!

Kdfelicity
09-17-2005, 08:09 PM
who cares what a miami heat fan says, its what you like.

:lol My dad's actually a heat fan too!! :lol

Horry For 3!
09-17-2005, 08:11 PM
I forgot about that....

Victor Newman
09-17-2005, 08:15 PM
See, bling, I knew I was gonna get knocked at some point for putting up the thread. I am NOT a redneck.

How do you know his post was directed to you? and when did he say being a redneck was bad? Just like a redneck to jump the gun , and get all hot under the collar.

spurs=bling
09-17-2005, 08:15 PM
well forget about him too. :lol

Jimcs50
09-17-2005, 08:23 PM

I am not considered a country music fan, but I like a wide variety of music.

Texas country is a genre unlike pop Nashville, Bluegrass or old school country. It is a specific type of music, that the sound is very distinctive. Do you ever watch to Austin City Limits on PBS?

On Austin City Limits, you get to listen to artists like Willie Nelson, Bonnie Rait, Ray Charles, Roy Orbison, Emmylou Harris, Lyle Lovett, Rodney Crowell, John Mayall, and B.B. King. It is great to kick back late at night, fire up a blunt and just listen to the great music. If you know music at all, you will truly appreciate how gifted these musicians really are.

Try it.

mouse
09-17-2005, 08:43 PM
you don't have to be a redneck to like TEXAS country.

sorry brah, but if I am next to you at a stop light and I hear George Straight comming from your Ford F-150? your redneck material in my book :lmao

Jimcs50
09-17-2005, 09:13 PM
:tu :tu
NICE JIM!!! I love Rodney. His new cd is so brilliant. I trust you heard/have it.

I do not have it, but my brother in law has it and I listened to it at his place. I like the song Don't get me Started and his rendition of Bob Dylan's Shelter from the Storm from his Blood on the Tracks album(one of my favs)

Rodney is a brilliant writer. Have you heard Jimmy Buffett sing his Stars on the Water? I like Rodney's version better but Jimmy's is more popular. I think George Strait recorded it as well.

Kdfelicity
09-17-2005, 10:58 PM
I do not have it, but my brother in law has it and I listened to it at his place. I like the song Don't get me Started and his rendition of Bob Dylan's Shelter from the Storm from his Blood on the Tracks album(one of my favs)

Rodney is a brilliant writer. Have you heard Jimmy Buffett sing his Stars on the Water? I like Rodney's version better but Jimmy's is more popular. I think George Strait recorded it as well.

I've only heard George Strait's version. It goes:
Down in Louisiana, bayous by and by
A pirogue pole or your natural soul
Keeps you tied to a tree high tide
Beer joint lights come on
And then the crowd starts rollin' in.

Pretty soon you got stars on the water
You got stars on the water
You got stars on the water, when it rains.

That's the right one right? I love that song.

Kdfelicity
09-17-2005, 11:02 PM
How do you know his post was directed to you? and when did he say being a redneck was bad? Just like a redneck to jump the gun , and get all hot under the collar.

He was making that reference to everyone posting in this thread up to that point, including me. Plus, I don't drive a FORD(Found On Road Dead) or a truck. I drive a Kia Optima. AND George Strait is not considered Texas Country. Once again people not knowing the difference.

Looter
09-18-2005, 02:14 AM
Do you have a NASCAR mug in your Trailer? Your country alright ....

Drachen
09-18-2005, 02:37 AM
I will. Cash was a great performer and an even better storyline. What a story indeed!

Jochin Phoenix plays Cash (young). I think that will be weird, but he is a good actor, so maybe he can pull it off.

CosmicCowboy
09-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Robert Earl Keen, Charlie Robison, Ray Benson (Asleep at the Wheel), The Derailers...

Kdfelicity
09-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Robert Earl Keen, Charlie Robison, Ray Benson (Asleep at the Wheel), The Derailers...

Old School stuff. Nice. You going to the Pat Green concert in October??

CosmicCowboy
09-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Old School stuff. Nice. You going to the Pat Green concert in October??

naaa...probably not...my October calendar is filling pretty fast.

Kdfelicity
09-18-2005, 12:29 PM
naaa...probably not...my October calendar is filling pretty fast.

Ahh, come on this isn't just any concert! Have you seen him live before? Besides, it's at the end of the month- Oct. 29th. Kevin Fowler and Shooter Jennings will be there as well. Shooter's great live too.

Trainwreck2100
09-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Gretchen Wilson sucks I don't know if she is from Texas, but she is the worst thing to hit country than that woman singing the Dodge song.

spurs=bling
09-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Gretchen Wilson sucks I don't know if she is from Texas, but she is the worst thing to hit country than that woman singing the Dodge song.
haha i like the dodge song

Trainwreck2100
09-18-2005, 01:20 PM
I liked it, till that girl butched it.

spurs=bling
09-18-2005, 01:21 PM
I liked it, till that girl butched it.
i'm gonna look for it just for you. :lol

Kdfelicity
09-18-2005, 02:16 PM

Hey Jim, have you heard The Houston Kid album or Fate's Right Hand? Rodney has said that his best writing are his most recent albums- The Houston Kid, Fate's Right Hand, and The Outsider.

Jimcs50
09-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Hey Jim, have you heard The Houston Kid album or Fate's Right Hand? Rodney has said that his best writing are his most recent albums- The Houston Kid, Fate's Right Hand, and The Outsider.

I dod not have them but I like the Title track, Fates Right Han and Still learning to Fly and on The Houston Kid, I really liked his rendition of I Walk the Line with Johnny Cash in colaboration on the song...it was awesome.

Goliadnative
09-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Brian Burns
Guy Clark
Billy Joe Shaver
Dub Miller
Reckless Kelly
Macon Greyson
Becca Dalrymple
Ed Burleson
Max Stalling
Mark David Manders
Kevin Deal
Chris Knight
Brian Houser
Joe Ely
James McMurtry
Doug Sahm
Eleven Hundred Springs
Dave Alvin
Jesse Dayton
Deryl Dodd
Two Tons of Steel
Larry Joe Taylor
Hangdogs
to name a few.

AlamoSpursFan
09-19-2005, 12:42 AM
Brian Burns
Guy Clark
Billy Joe Shaver
Dub Miller
Reckless Kelly
Macon Greyson
Becca Dalrymple
Ed Burleson
Max Stalling
Mark David Manders
Kevin Deal
Chris Knight
Brian Houser
Joe Ely
James McMurtry
Doug Sahm
Eleven Hundred Springs
Dave Alvin
Jesse Dayton
Deryl Dodd
Two Tons of Steel
Larry Joe Taylor
Hangdogs
to name a few.

63 posts in.

This is what I get for going to a family reunion today instead of sitting in front of the damn computer!

Kdfelicity
09-19-2005, 12:55 AM
Some people say Reckless Kelly is better than Cross Canadian Ragweed. I wonder why Ragweed got more popular than Reckless did. Have you seen both live Goliad? Which one is better you think?

Kdfelicity
09-19-2005, 12:58 AM
63 posts in.

This is what I get for going to a family reunion today instead of sitting in front of the damn computer!

Poor Alamo

AlamoSpursFan
09-19-2005, 01:11 AM
I've been the world's biggest RK fan since I first heard them on Dudley and Bob back in 97 before Millican was released. I've seen them more times than I can count and had the pleasure of partying with the guys on numerous occasions. They are some of the coolest people on the planet.

I dig CCR too, but nowhere near as much as I love RK. The cover they did of Crazy Eddie's Last Hurrah on their Live at Billy Bob's CD was awesome.

"This is a song about killin' a woman because she pisses you off...Ya gotta do it!" -- Cody Canada

Kdfelicity
09-19-2005, 01:17 AM
I've been the world's biggest RK fan since I first heard them on Dudley and Bob back in 97 before Millican was released. I've seen them more times than I can count and had the pleasure of partying with the guys on numerous occasions. They are some of the coolest people on the planet.

I dig CCR too, but nowhere near as much as I love RK. The cover they did of Crazy Eddie's Last Hurrah on their Live at Billy Bob's CD was awesome.

"This is a song about killin' a woman because she pisses you off...Ya gotta do it!" -- Cody Canada

Shit, then I'm missing out. Where does RK play at usually? Sounds like I need to check them out. By the by, Cody Canada is a stud.

AlamoSpursFan
09-19-2005, 01:55 AM
http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?By=All&Content=Reckless+Kelly

I HIGHLY recommend Gruene Hall. It is the ultimate RK venue, but any RK show is a good RK show.

09-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Pat Green went Nashville and most of his new stuff pales in comparison to his old songs. Songs like "Ruby's Two Sad Daughters" and "The Ballad OF Arkansas Dave Rutebaugh" are some of his best as well as the cover of Townes Van Zant's "Snowin' On Raton".

Brian Burns is one of my favorites as well. CCR, Jason Boland and The Great Divide fit in the genre, but they are from Oklahoma and not truly "Texas".

Others in my CD rotation:
Macon Greyson
Tracie Lynn
Trish Murphy
1100 Springs
RK

batman2883
09-19-2005, 08:42 AM
country music sucks ass

CosmicCowboy
09-19-2005, 08:49 AM
http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?By=All&Content=Reckless+Kelly

I HIGHLY recommend Gruene Hall. It is the ultimate RK venue, but any RK show is a good RK show.

fair warning...Gruene Hall is a classic venue but it can be a friggen oven in the summertime...when it is packed for a big show it can get 100+ in there on a hot still night...

Mijo
09-19-2005, 11:09 AM
AND George Strait is not considered Texas Country. Once again people not knowing the difference. How is it George Strait is not Texas Country? The guy was born in Poteet and practically re-invented Texas Cowboy attire.

SWC Bonfire
09-19-2005, 11:13 AM
How is it George Strait is not Texas Country? The guy was born in Poteet and practically re-invented Texas Cowboy attire.

Because they are trying to be Texas Country snobbish... if there is such a thing.

George Strait was originally very "Texas Country"... I don't like some of his more recent stuff, though.

I liked the Moe Bandy comment... at least some people aren't newbies. :lol

AlamoSpursFan
09-19-2005, 11:42 AM
How is it George Strait is not Texas Country? The guy was born in Poteet and practically re-invented Texas Cowboy attire.

Well, you got the P part right.

He was born in Pearsall.

AlamoSpursFan
09-19-2005, 11:48 AM
fair warning...Gruene Hall is a classic venue but it can be a friggen oven in the summertime...when it is packed for a big show it can get 100+ in there on a hot still night...

This is true. Bring plenty of cash for cold beer!

I'm planning on being there Saturday night since it looks like opening weekend of South Zone Dove Season might be lost to that bitch Rita...

Mijo
09-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Well, you got the P part right.

He was born in Pearsall. Negative.

George Strait Facts (http://www.georgestrait.com/strait_facts.asp)

AlamoSpursFan
09-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Negative.

George Strait Facts (http://www.georgestrait.com/strait_facts.asp)

I stand corrected. :smokin

Perhaps he grew up in Pearsall then. I based my statement on the sign they used to have at the city limits proudly proclaiming Pearsall as the "Home of George Strait".

Mijo
09-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Yeah, he was raised in Pearsall.

Guru of Nothing
09-19-2005, 01:00 PM
RobbieFulks.com (http://robbiefulks.com/myday/index.html?id=00057)

I don’t need to stay around here and see the Pat Act. I’ve read his press. It’s hard to escape it. You can hardly pass a newsstand without gagging from the thick odor of righteous offense that his biological existence has bestirred in respectable places. Pat Green is a disgrace to the legacy of Texas music. He is not fit to bottomfeed in the waters where Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt swam. Pat Green is a fratboy turd in the punchbowl of Lone Star poetry. A dumbed-down Jerry Jeff Walker would have been unthinkable, until Pat Green. Pat Green – “Pat Green” for God’s sake! – has taken a thing of gossamer beauty and visceral delight and chopped it into mass-market suckerbait. He stinks worse than peanut butter stirred into pancake syrup. But not content with being merely vulgar, Pat Green is wildly popular. He is stomping up and down retail charts and trampling precious daisies – tinier, worthier musical voices – underfoot. He’s the Borders Bookstore of country music. Well, maybe that’s outside the bounds of decency, but he is a very, very bad man.

Kdfelicity
09-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Pat Green went Nashville and most of his new stuff pales in comparison to his old songs. Songs like "Ruby's Two Sad Daughters" and "The Ballad OF Arkansas Dave Rutebaugh" are some of his best as well as the cover of Townes Van Zant's "Snowin' On Raton".

RK

I agree whole-heartedly that Pat Green's older stuf is MUCH better than the newer. I think he may have betrayed his fan-base by going in a little different direction. He's not a "very, very bad man" though.

As far as George Strait is concerned everyone knows he's from Texas but he's been mainstream country for some time, which doesn't fit him into the Texas Country category.

Mijo
09-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Who made this Texas Country category you speak of?

Kdfelicity
09-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Who made this Texas Country category you speak of?

No one made it. The category is made up of people who's music won't likely make it Nashville(mainstream country).

Kdfelicity
09-19-2005, 02:14 PM
I am not considered a country music fan, but I like a wide variety of music.

Texas country is a genre unlike pop Nashville, Bluegrass or old school country. It is a specific type of music, that the sound is very distinctive. Do you ever watch to Austin City Limits on PBS?

Try it.

I thought Jim stated it quite well.

Mijo
09-19-2005, 02:18 PM
So then because George Strait's music made it to Nashville he is no longer considered "Texas Country"? Success = Mainstream?:wtf

Or was he never considered Texas Country? I spent 4 years living in California and George Strait was every bit of my home to me whenever I heard his music.

Kdfelicity
09-19-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure on whether he use to be considered Texas Country because I'm only 21, and he first started making hits around when I was born. I just know what I've been introduced to by my fellow college friends, and George Strait, according to them, is not considered Texas Country.

Mixability
09-19-2005, 02:27 PM
I hate country music.........
but I love me some George Strait music!!!!

Ginofan
09-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Texas Country has more of the folk/blues/rock vibe to it than mainstream country. If you've never heard it, just listen to some of the artists that people have listed...you'll be able to tell the difference right away.

Mixability
09-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Texas Country has more of the folk/blues/rock vibe to it than mainstream country. If you've never heard it, just listen to some of the artists that people have listed...you'll be able to tell the difference right away.

hmmm, kinda like the difference in the old westcoast/eastcoast rap? i guess you have to like the music in order to differentiate between the two. good to know!

batman2883
09-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Words youll never hear in a country song

My girlfriend loves me and i am sober...

Mijo
09-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Okay. Then I guess you could say since George Strait's music (at least his start), has Texas roots, that he is "Mainstream Texas Country". :lol

Mijo
09-19-2005, 03:15 PM
But, I do understand the difference between Texas Country and Mainstream after a little research. :king

Mijo
09-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Words youll never hear in a country song No doubt. Ever hear the lyrics to any Gary Stewart song? Dude is always drunk and alone or having some kind of woman problem in his songs. :drunk

Michael
09-19-2005, 03:37 PM
I don't think they've been mentioned, but another great Texas band is The Old 97's.

Guru of Nothing
09-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Post some of your favorite Texas Music lyrics.

Johnson Grass Farm

I'm gonna live on marijuana
and I ain't gonna work at all

I'm gonna find me a house in the country
and grow that shit 'bout ten feet tall

I'm gonna plant, alongside Johnson Grass
which I pray grows, a little taller

If ya slide by the house -
and the lights are out -
you will hear me hoop 'n holler

(Chorus)
Lord Jesus, I'm stoned
ain’t doin' nobody no wrong

Doin' a little bit 'a
front porch thinkin'
some star-studded dreamin'
and singin' those gospel songs

Ain’t doin' nobody no harm
livin' on a Johnson Grass farm
I'm not guilty
of a crime
I'm just havin' me a time
and waitin' on the harvest to come

When the sun, in the evenin'
slowly slithers down
You will find me in my backyard
diggin' them plants up outta the ground

Naked as a newborn baby
and carefree as your local bum
Down on my hands 'n knees
prayin' for a rain shower to come

(Chorus)

AlamoSpursFan
09-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Crazy Eddie's Last Hurrah
Willy Braun

Well it sure didn't take too long
I woke up one mornin', she was gone
And the note that she wrote didn't say "Dear John"
It said, "Goodbye, sucker, I'm gone!"

She was a home-grown mountain girl
Raised in a different world
I was a wanna-be rocker, she was more into Merle
And I couldn't see it just wouldn't work

And now I'm double fisting longnecks
and grapefruit and Stoli
But I'm never gettin' over Jolie

Well I poured myself in my car
I drove it on down to the bar
But they wouldn't let me in, 'cause I ain't a movie star
So I went to the Horseshoe on Lamar

The bouncer threw me out at two
And I didn't know what to do
So I picked up the phone and I called guess who
But the call block wouldn't let me through

And now I'm wishin' for some drugs
Or a shrink to console me

Well I gathered up all of my guns
And a pipe bomb just for fun
And I drove to her house and parked on the lawn
She's right, I always was a crazy one

Well her boyfriend was sure nice to me
He said, Calm down, would you like a drink?
And then I shot him full of holes from his nose to his knees
And I polished off my little sweet pea

And now I'm cryin' on my knees, feelin' dirty and unholy
Now I'll prob'ly get life and serve at least forty

SpursWoman
09-19-2005, 04:51 PM

Me too. :lol

I actually used to like country at one point though...but right around the time I was getting divorced and life wasn't so great, the only thing it did is make me want to slit my wrists. That shit is just too damn depressing. :lol

And now, several years later of not really listening to it...it all just sounds the same--redneck. :lol

Goliadnative
09-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Goliad
Brian Burns - (C)opr. 2001 - Brian Burns Music (BMI)

I am proud to be in your presence tonight,
fellow Texians, lend me your ear;
was the grace of God brought us through the fight,
and it is destiny now brings us here.

Let us take off our hats to our brothers in arms
and the chances that they never had.
We are blessed in the bounty of Texas tonight,
let us drink to those who marched that road to Goliad.

Oh, I see the toil on each weary brow,
but I know better days lie ahead
where great men will build empires from the soil
where the blood of our compadres was shed.

So let us send out our hearts to our brothers in arms
and the choices that they never had.
We are blessed in the bounty of Texas tonight,
let us drink to those who marched that road to Goliad.

For obvious reasons.

Kdfelicity
09-19-2005, 08:16 PM

Thank you. I was trying to get that across but I guess I wasn't making enough sense.

Kdfelicity
09-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Me too. :lol

I actually used to like country at one point though...but right around the time I was getting divorced and life wasn't so great, the only thing it did is make me want to slit my wrists. That shit is just too damn depressing. :lol

And now, several years later of not really listening to it...it all just sounds the same--redneck. :lol

Honestly, I think there's more positive songs these days. Everybody always assumes they'll be about your wife leaving, dog dying, blah blah blah. Texas Country, as this thread is intended for once again, covers all kinds of different topics.

Kdfelicity
10-31-2005, 12:13 AM
Pat Green concert fantastic, no surprise there...

Shooter :tu :tu

Kevin :tu

Cory :tu

The tailgating was funtastic too, they need to do that shit at more concerts...

People dancing in the middle of the sections....good times...

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-31-2005, 01:48 AM
Pat Green concert fantastic, no surprise there...

Shooter :tu :tu

Kevin :tu

Cory :tu

The tailgating was funtastic too, they need to do that shit at more concerts...

People dancing in the middle of the sections....good times...

I didn't like Shooter Jennings that much (which reminds me, I actually need to write a review for tomorrow).

There was this band on the side stage that I really liked...I think they were called "Lost Trailers."

And you might have seen me "dancing" behind the seats in the walkway before the lawn...I was the one who couldn't dance.

Lady Marmalade
10-31-2005, 02:20 AM
i'm not sure what texas country is vs country country..

but dixie chicks and george straight...

pache100
10-31-2005, 11:11 AM

clooneyschick04
10-31-2005, 12:05 PM
1. George Strait--it doesn't matter to me if he isn't "Texas country"...he's King George--he has to make the list.

2. Pat Green--awesome

3. Rodney Crowell--fantastic singer and songwriter

Swishy McJackass
10-31-2005, 01:37 PM
www.texasmix.com

Shit, I forgot about that station.

One of the few good stations that I can pick up back home.

Gatita
10-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Garth Brooks. :)

pache100
10-31-2005, 02:29 PM
1. George Strait--it doesn't matter to me if he isn't "Texas country"...he's King George--he has to make the list.

I agree. After I made a post to the same effect, I realized the person who started the thread doesn't have a clue about Texas country or any country music and decided not to waste my time.

George Strait does Texas Swing and IS Texas country music.

Kdfelicity
10-31-2005, 03:32 PM
I agree. After I made a post to the same effect, I realized the person who started the thread doesn't have a clue about Texas country or any country music and decided not to waste my time.

George Strait does Texas Swing and IS Texas country music.

I know enough. George Strait is considered to be mainstream country if you didn't know. I like the man myself, so I would have no reason to put him down by saying he's not texas country.

Assumptions can get you into trouble. How can you know what a person's knowledge is by a freakin computer screen? Wake up man...