PDA

View Full Version : First back to back tomorrow.... who to rest, if any?

ElNono
11-01-2015, 05:57 PM
I think Manu should be a lock to rest... he's been playing with a ton of energy, carrying the team for stretches... Tim might need some rest too...

It's tough though, since the end of the bench dwellers haven't shown much outside of Boban... Maybe time to give Simms a shot?

BillMc
11-01-2015, 06:00 PM
It's a tough call. And the Knicks have looked better than expected...

But I'd give them a rest. Give West and Boban some time.

baseline bum
11-01-2015, 06:02 PM
Probably one of Duncan or Diaw too. It'd be nice to get West some minutes with the starters.

RD2191
11-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Parker. He usually gets outplayed by Langston Galloway.

spursistan
11-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Knicks have looked decent and i don't know if that we won't need Manu for 15-18 mins stretch with how much useless and unreliable Parker right now..If Pop is going down that road this early, i would keep out Gino and maybe TD..

Mikeanaro
11-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Manu and Tim.

Splits
Nobody.

loveforthegame
Manu deserves rest but I shudder to think of Anderson and Simmons trying to pick up his slack.

Raven
parker manu and timmy would be good.

bulakenyo
11-01-2015, 06:06 PM
aww.. Shut up guys, I'm gonna watch the game tomorrow night.

Probably one of the last chances I'll ever get to see the Big 3, live.

At least let Manu and Tim play a few minutes.

vander
11-01-2015, 06:09 PM
< 10 minutes for Big 3

Robz4000
11-01-2015, 06:11 PM
Just Manu imo. Let Simmons get some burn leading the second unit.

Holden_Caulfield
11-01-2015, 06:12 PM
duncan. and start west.

objective
11-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Parker needs to sit. It's depressing how awful he's become. Start McCollum and use Mills off the bench.

It's sad that seeing Parker with horrifying and atrocious defense and inability to even take care of the ball against pressure has left him like this, leading to the realization that maybe Parker should either be third string or just cut and stretched.

It's like seeing Terry Porter fall on his ass over and over his final season.

spursistan
11-01-2015, 06:15 PM
Unfortuanetly as many dreaded we are in a unspoken Manu-bailing-out-Tony reality for the team in just about 3 game sample size. I shudder at our play-making/ball-handling without him tomorrow.

DarrinS
11-01-2015, 06:16 PM
duncan. and start west.

HI-FI
11-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Parker. He usually gets outplayed by Langston Galloway.
Yeah, Christmas is about to come early for Galloway.

Texas_Ranger
11-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Thank god they don't have Shved anymore. But here is The Machine who will stop Manu.

Mr Bones
11-01-2015, 06:30 PM
I'd hope only three games into the season that playing 20 minutes wouldn't be too much for anyone...

HarlemHeat37
11-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Wouldn't rest Manu/Duncan while Green is in one of his shooting slumps and West isn't in a rhythm IMO..

Mel_13
11-01-2015, 06:35 PM
4th game of the season. Everyone plays. At least that's what I'm hoping as I'm going to the game.

SpursFan86
11-01-2015, 06:36 PM
It's early in the season and Manu/Duncan didn't play too many minutes today. Wouldn't be surprised if no one sits.

HarlemHeat37
11-01-2015, 06:37 PM
4th game of the season. Everyone plays. At least that's what I'm hoping as I'm going to the game.

How much are the tickets going for nowadays?

ElNono
11-01-2015, 06:37 PM
aww.. Shut up guys, I'm gonna watch the game tomorrow night.

Probably one of the last chances I'll ever get to see the Big 3, live.

At least let Manu and Tim play a few minutes.

Was thinking of going... where you guys going to be at? I pretty much gave up trying to get good seats in the Garden

Mel_13
11-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Was thinking of going... where you guys going to be at? I pretty much gave up trying to get good seats in the Garden

I went a little nuts this time, so really good seats with luxury suite access.

ElNono
11-01-2015, 06:43 PM

:tu enjoy Mel... are you going to Philly?

Mel_13
11-01-2015, 06:55 PM
:tu enjoy Mel... are you going to Philly?
No, my daughter can't make that game.

This is what we're doing tomorrow:

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/11/my-favorite-use-of-points-ever-vip-at-the-knicks-with-spg/

SAGirl
11-01-2015, 06:58 PM
I think Manu should be a lock to rest... he's been playing with a ton of energy, carrying the team for stretches... Tim might need some rest too...

It's tough though, since the end of the bench dwellers haven't shown much outside of Boban... Maybe time to give Simms a shot?

For sure Manu should rest TBH. TD should probably rest too, but I am concerned about it because West has just been that awful.
I would expect Kyle, Rasual, and Ray to get minutes. Rasual bc he has been playing well in limited minutes, Ray has shown a little something also in limited minutes, and the way Tony is starting, I would think you want Ray to remain ready and have some chemistry with others.

From there on, we might have Simms get about 8 mins since he is Manu's backup and needs a bit of play time here or there, in case we need him. He will be in tight leash as well. Pop might be ready to play Kawhi and Danny 35 mins if Kyle and Simms are not cutting it, but I hope they are decent enough to not have to run the other two to the ground.

I would not mind some Boban, but we'll see.

DarrinS
11-01-2015, 07:00 PM
We got LMA going. Now, I'd like to see West with a nice game. He needs the minutes, tbh.

apalisoc_9
11-01-2015, 07:03 PM
I doubt anyone would rest. It's the 4th game..well find out

boutons_deux
11-01-2015, 07:05 PM
what's the deal with West? has his BBIQ gone south?

ElNono
11-01-2015, 07:07 PM

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/11/my-favorite-use-of-points-ever-vip-at-the-knicks-with-spg/

That's splendid!!!

I'm going too!! Just bought the tickets. I'll be here, row 3:

http://i67.tinypic.com/n2kc91.jpg

SAGirl
11-01-2015, 07:12 PM
Oh I hope you get to see a few minutes of Manu/TD
They might play just a little, but from what I have read, the second day you feel like you took a bit of a beating, and its either rest, or if you are playing, then you are playing.

My concern was the 24 minutes for Manu. He was right at the edge of the max minutes he should play today, and he was going all out TBH. But its early in the season, and they have rest after tomorrow... so its a possibility nobody rests, and Pop just reins minutes in.

Mel_13
11-01-2015, 07:13 PM
That's splendid!!!

IIRC, that should be near the Spurs bench. I'll look for you. Will you be wearing a Manu NT jersey?

SAGirl
11-01-2015, 07:13 PM
That's splendid!!!

Wow!!!!!!
Nice seats. You are teasing.

Spurtacular
11-01-2015, 07:17 PM

Good thread. It's early enough in the season that maybe the Spurs will forgo the standard DNP's.

Resting Manu and Tim is probably a given. Tony will probably play cos it's not like there's a Fredette to step up. McCallum is crap.

YGWHI
11-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Pop might be ready to play Kawhi and Danny 35 mins if Kyle and Simms are not cutting it, but I hope they are decent enough to not have to run the other two to the ground
Not sure if Pop is ready to play Kawhi/Green more minutes, he put Butler in the game for that reason. Also, he's giving Kyle the Young-Parker/Danny Green treatment but I'd like to see Pop giving him a bit more room for error when he makes mistakes

I would not mind some Boban, but we'll see.
Agree. Boban against NYK bigmen reserves sounds good.

ElNono
11-01-2015, 07:18 PM
IIRC, that should be near the Spurs bench. I'll look for you. Will you be wearing a Manu NT jersey?

I'll be wearing my Argentina soccer jersey

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0655/4691/products/Argentina-2012-13-Home-Jersey-Soccer-Shirt-Soccer-Jersey-Argentina-Away_large.jpg

Now I hope Manu doesn't rest :D

But if he does, so be it

Mel_13
11-01-2015, 07:20 PM

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0655/4691/products/Argentina-2012-13-Home-Jersey-Soccer-Shirt-Soccer-Jersey-Argentina-Away_large.jpg

But if he does, so be it

Great! I'll try to make my way there before the game or at the half.

Johnny RIngo
11-01-2015, 07:20 PM
what's the deal with West? has his BBIQ gone south?

He's just old. Most players begin to decline around his age anyway. Spurs were just fortunate that they got him for the minimum. Can't really complain about his shit play when he's being paid virtually nothing.

For tomorrow's game? Duncan and Manu should rest. Manu's playing amazing right now. Need to take every opportunity to rest him so he's fresh for the playoffs.

ElNono
11-01-2015, 07:21 PM
How much are the tickets going for nowadays?

Just paid $720 for 2 tix at club gold baseline row 3... they were more expensive a couple days ago, but I guess they're liquidating now that the game is coming...

ElNono
11-01-2015, 07:22 PM
Great! I'll try to make my way there before the game or at the half.

Always a pleasure! I'll try to be there early...

SAGirl
11-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Not sure if Pop is ready to play Kawhi/Green more minutes, he put Butler in the game for that reason. Also, he's giving Kyle the Young-Parker/Danny Green treatment but I'd like to see Pop giving him a bit more room for error when he makes mistakes

Agree. Boban against NYK bigmen reserves sounds good.

Yea, its a good sign he's been tough with Kyle. You are like that with guys you expect to be better than what they are doing. Kyle is to smart to not be where he's supposed to be. We'll be ready to witness the schooling of Mr. Anderson.
:hat

bulakenyo
11-01-2015, 07:26 PM
The cheap seats, sadly. With my cousins from the Philippines.

But this will be my first NBA game to see live, so for me, it's still going to be awesome, I just hope Coach Pop give the stars some decent playing time.

ElNono
11-01-2015, 07:27 PM
The cheap seats, sadly. With my cousins from the Philippines.

But this will be my first NBA game to see live, so for me, it's still going to be awesome, I just hope Coach Pop give the stars some decent playing time.

Enjoy. Definitely a unique experience! :toast

HarlemHeat37
11-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Just paid $720 for 2 tix at club gold baseline row 3... they were more expensive a couple days ago, but I guess they're liquidating now that the game is coming...

That's not too bad..Raptors tickets are similar price range, I usually get them in 108-109, around $850 retail for 2(CAD), I get them for a little cheaper, but still, it's expected in a big city..

I already got my tickets for both the Lakers and Spurs games..as much as I hate him, I want to see Kobe one last time:lol..

bulakenyo
11-01-2015, 07:31 PM
Enjoy. Definitely a unique experience! :toast

Been a fan of Manu ever since I saw ARG national team play a style of basketball I did not think was real life (blew my mind, when I saw them vs USA) back in the '02 World Championships.

I hope I see him play tomorrow.

cheers.

ElNono
11-01-2015, 07:32 PM
That's not too bad..Raptors tickets are similar price range, I usually get them in 108-109, around $850 retail for 2(CAD), I get them for a little cheaper, but still, it's expected in a big city..

I already got my tickets for both the Lakers and Spurs games..as much as I hate him, I want to see Kobe one last time:lol..

Yeah, first time I'm gonna watch the Spurs at the MSG (been there for concerts before)... those tix normally go for 500+... it was a good idea to wait until late...

I'll probably watch the Spurs in Philly in December too... tix there are cheaper which is nice...

100%duncan
11-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Guys relax it's the 4th game of the season and we need a 10-1 record considering a relatively easy schedule. (The wiz have looked awful)

BD24
11-01-2015, 07:47 PM
Hope we get to see Boban have some meaningful minutes tomorrow. Really intrigued with him.

spurtech09
11-01-2015, 07:50 PM
More fun watching the spurs than the lousy Cowboys.

Kikoluna
11-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Can we "rest" Tony?

baseline bum
11-01-2015, 08:17 PM

But if he does, so be it

Maybe he'll go Game 6 and throw you a pass or two tbh

ElNono
11-01-2015, 08:17 PM
Maybe he'll go Game 6 and throw you a pass or two tbh

TBH

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
11-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Tim will rest, I see Boban starting.

spurs10
11-01-2015, 09:22 PM

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/11/my-favorite-use-of-points-ever-vip-at-the-knicks-with-spg/ That is really good to hear! No better fan deserves them! My wife and I, thanks in part to your advice, are now season ticket holders with a partial package. Really decent seats close to the bench...what else should we spend our money on?!!

That's splendid!!!

http://i67.tinypic.com/n2kc91.jpg Lord, you might just as well suit up....just in case Manu has to sit!

ElNono
11-01-2015, 09:32 PM
That is really good to hear! No better fan deserves them! My wife and I, thanks in part to your advice, are now season ticket holders with a partial package. Really decent seats close to the bench...what else should we spend our money on?!!

Lord, you might just as well suit up....just in case Manu has to sit!

:lol

Mel is a top notch guy. Always a pleasure to meet up with him.

I'll be in San Antonio near the holidays, I might catch a game at the AT&T if time permits.

Beaverfuzz
11-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Entire starting lineup will be benched according to Pop on the train.

Johnsyounger
11-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Pop will sit no one or Duncan and Gino seeing as how they are 60.

Mel_13
11-01-2015, 09:37 PM
That is really good to hear! No better fan deserves them! My wife and I, thanks in part to your advice, are now season ticket holders with a partial package. Really decent seats close to the bench...what else should we spend our money on?!!

Glad to have helped a little bit, and great seats btw. We've really enjoyed the experience as season ticket holders. 12 years now.

random21
11-01-2015, 09:59 PM
Rest Tim and Manu...

TXstbobcat
11-01-2015, 10:02 PM
That's splendid!!!

great seats! Have a great time at the game.

ElNono
11-01-2015, 10:03 PM
great seats! Have a great time at the game.

:toast

Spurtacular
11-01-2015, 10:04 PM

Damn, nigga!

DMC
11-01-2015, 10:10 PM
Sours always struggle in NY so rest Tim and Manu, let LMA, West and Boban play at the same time.

TD 21
11-01-2015, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't rest anyone. Not only is it early in the season, but it's not a typical back to back (since this was an early afternoon game and tomorrow's is an evening one, so it's not like they'll get in in the middle of the night) and there's no need to risk handing away a game against a bottom feeder.

I don't care how bad the Rockets look at the moment; the goal of all of the top five in the West should be to, at minimum, stay out of the 4-5 match-up.

That being said, Pop sat Duncan and Ginobili in the first week of last season against the Rockets, because it was the back end of a back to back. Also, the rotation he was going with today seemed to hint that he might do the same (three big in the first half; three wing in the second half and quick hooks in general), so who knows.

SAGirl
11-01-2015, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't rest anyone. Not only is it early in the season, but it's not a typical back to back (since this was an early afternoon game and tomorrow's is an evening one, so it's not like they'll get in in the middle of the night) and there's no need to risk handing away a game against a bottom feeder.

I don't care how bad the Rockets look at the moment; the goal of all of the top five in the West should be to, at minimum, stay out of the 4-5 match-up.

That being said, Pop sat Duncan and Ginobili in the first week of last season against the Rockets, because it was the back end of a back to back. Also, the rotation he was going with today seemed to hint that he might do the same (three big in the first half; three wing in the second half and quick hooks in general), so who knows.

I hear you. What I found alarming is that in the Nets game Pop had to tighten the rotation to 8 guys to get separation from a bad team.

This game he was less tolerant of mistakes from the get go. West didn't even play until the second half and only 9 mins because Pop wasn't going to overplay Timmy, but the top 3 big men in the rotation were right at the edge of the absolute most Pop would play them in RS I believe: LMA 35, Timmy 29, Boris 24 (rounded up). The same with the wings. Kyle got benched after 1 play for being out of position resulting in a TO. Pop just won't accept that from a newbie, and with reason. But Rasual played the other 8 mins and Manu still got 24 mins. Tony and Mills can handle their 28 and 21 respectively, but Manu's minutes were the absolute most he would play I believe.

Its not ideal to be playing your older guys so many minutes this early in the season or risk loosing a game like this. Rather than cutting back on minutes in this game, the Spurs went all on in on this one, and will decide about tomorrow depending on how Timmy and Manu feel basically.

TD 21
11-01-2015, 11:07 PM
I hear you. What I found alarming is that in the Nets game Pop had to tighten the rotation to 8 guys to get separation from a bad team.

This game he was less tolerant of mistakes from the get go. West didn't even play until the second half and only 9 mins because Pop wasn't going to overplay Timmy, but the top 3 big men in the rotation were right at the edge of the absolute most Pop would play them in RS I believe: LMA 35, Timmy 29, Boris 24 (rounded up). The same with the wings. Kyle got benched after 1 play for being out of position resulting in a TO. Pop just won't accept that from a newbie, and with reason. But Rasual played the other 8 mins and Manu still got 24 mins. Tony and Mills can handle their 28 and 21 respectively, but Manu's minutes were the absolute most he would play I believe.

Its not ideal to be playing your older guys so many minutes this early in the season or risk loosing a game like this. Rather than cutting back on minutes in this game, the Spurs went all on in on this one, and will decide about tomorrow depending on how Timmy and Manu feel basically.

I agree that it is somewhat alarming, considering we saw it far too much from this team last season against inferior competition. They so rarely jumped on mediocre and worse teams from the beginning and kept them down.

Significant changes or not, we need to start seeing that. It doesn't have to happen the majority of the time at this point, but every game against this caliber of opponent can't be a struggle.

Stabula
11-01-2015, 11:12 PM
It's a long season so rest should be applied strategically throughout the length of the season. We have old players that need rest and we also have young players who need floor time.

SAGirl
11-01-2015, 11:21 PM
I agree that it is somewhat alarming, considering we saw it far too much from this team last season against inferior competition. They so rarely jumped on mediocre and worse teams from the beginning and kept them down.

Significant changes or not, we need to start seeing that. It doesn't have to happen the majority of the time at this point, but every game against this caliber of opponent can't be a struggle.
I think the fact Danny has been cold makes these games very close, and this season we will have to win games on defense. We just don't have explosive 3 pt shooting like we used to, and should thank our lucky stars Manu has started off hot. He's bound to slow down on 3 pt shooting just on averages, hopefully when he does Danny picks his shot up.

TheDoctor
11-01-2015, 11:56 PM
That's splendid!!!

Watch Scott using this same generated pic 3 years from now.

spurs10
11-02-2015, 02:13 AM
:lol

Mel is a top notch guy. Always a pleasure to meet up with him.

I'll be in San Antonio near the holidays, I might catch a game at the AT&T if time permits. I'm near the bench, but not almost sitting on it like you! :lol Glad to hear you're feeling well. Always wanted to see a game at MSG...those seats are unreal! Have a blast!

Ice009
11-02-2015, 04:36 AM
boban vs great white knicks hope

i want to see pop give simmons some minutes against this dleague team called the knicks

Have you seen that the Knicks are actually playing well to start the season? Doesn't look like you've even seen or watched a game this season.

MI21
11-02-2015, 04:42 AM
Resting Manu would effect the team more than resting Timmy at this point. Between LMA, Diaw, West, Kawhi and Boban, they can play all the minutes at 4/5 versus the Knicks - no point in having quality depth in the front line if you are going to use it to get rest.

Fireball
11-02-2015, 06:26 AM
rest the Big 3 and Diaw ... play Boban against Lopez .... its gonna be a loss cause the Knicks are not that bad, but it might be a little bit of fun as well ...

Keepin' it real
11-02-2015, 09:39 AM
I think most players want to play at MSG (regardless that the Knicks suck) because it's "New York." In fact, despite the Spurs' history of resting players, I'm guessing the Big 3 probably never DNP-CD in NY.

For our geekiest of Spurs historians, can you verify if my hunch is correct?

LaMarcus Bryant
11-02-2015, 09:42 AM
Too early to rest guys.
The core guys need reps together. If anything monitor Manu minutes.

We need to fatten up our record with this easy cheesy schedule

Fireball
11-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Have you seen that the Knicks are actually playing well to start the season? Doesn't look like you've even seen or watched a game this season. Apparently he has not ... he is one of the worst posters here ...

kaji157
11-02-2015, 10:02 AM

I think Tim and Manu rest, Tony looks as he could use a bit of playing time.
We should be fine if Dany Green comes to play.
Would be great to see a West-Boban pairing for the second unit. Maybe David can find a niche in that formation.

UNT Eagles 2016
11-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Why would you rest anyone? It's a day-night back to back, therefore you get over a full day of rest. It'd be stupid to rest anyone in a day-night back to back. When we come to a night-night back to back then we'll talk about resting people.

I remember the good old days of the 00s where teams would actually get night-day back to backs, e.g. Saturday then Sunday. I recall one time we had to play @ Lakers and then @ Kings (both teams were contenders) on a Saturday night–Sunday afternoon back to back and we beat both of them despite having near zero rest. But that was when TD was in his prime. Still an epic memory though, we won the championship that year.

ceperez
11-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Manu and Tim should rest. Parker barely played, so no rest for him.

I would rather Spurs get into the playoffs healthy than have a top see but have a lot of guys banged up. The regular season is just practice for the Spurs. Practically meaningless.

UNT Eagles 2016
11-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Manu and Tim should rest. Parker barely played, so no rest for him.

I would rather Spurs get into the playoffs healthy than have a top see but have a lot of guys banged up. The regular season is just practice for the Spurs. Practically meaningless.
Did you watch last year? Spurs don't have a chance in hell without HCA. We're 3–0 in the TD era in winning championships with the #1 overall seed, and 2–13 without it. End of story.

ElNono
11-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Just asked Mike Monroe if the Spurs will sit anybody:

"I will be very surprised if any of the Big 3 sit tonight. Hey, yesterday was an afternoon game"

BillMc
11-02-2015, 01:20 PM

"I will be very surprised if any of the Big 3 sit tonight. Hey, yesterday was an afternoon game"

Do you have connections with the spurs' media? If so, props!:toast Sadly, I don't. Have to go by my magic 8ball. :lol

http://www.8-ball-magic.com/answer.php?id=3094308&lang=en

Dex
11-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Old Pop would rest Tim and Manu, imo. West would probably start, and SloMo and Butler would soak up Manu's minutes.

Considering it's early season and this wasn't a typical B2B with the day game yesterday, would not be surprised to see the full lineup tonight. Hopefully our guys can take care of business and get their rest in the 4th quarter. Me want more Bobaninator!

ElNono
11-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Do you have connections with the spurs' media? If so, props!:toast Sadly, I don't. Have to go by my magic 8ball.

http://www.8-ball-magic.com/answer.php?id=3094308&lang=en

Mike Monroe is doing a Q&A right now here:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Live-chat-Ask-us-about-Spurs-vs-Knicks-6605342.php

dabom
11-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Pop gonna need them NY media votes for Kawhi. Expect everyone to play. :lmao

BillMc
11-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Mike Monroe is doing a Q&A right now here:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Live-chat-Ask-us-about-Spurs-vs-Knicks-6605342.php

Thanks man. :toast

UNT Eagles 2016
11-02-2015, 06:28 PM

So, echoing the crux of my post

Dex
11-02-2015, 06:39 PM

SAGirl
11-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Wow

It begins!!!!
Manu is the one who worried me the most, but he's fiery!!
:cooldevil:cooldevil

Happy for the guys who paid to watch this live. All players will be active and it promises to be a good game.

Here's to health for everyone.
:bobo

DarrinS
11-02-2015, 07:19 PM

Lol, that's awesome.

Splits
11-02-2015, 07:32 PM
Nobody.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-03-2015, 02:51 AM
lol 35 mins for TD on a b2b at 40 years old :lol He looks like he can play effectively for a few more seasons.

spursistan
11-03-2015, 09:38 AM
lol 35 mins for TD on a b2b at 40 years old :lol He looks like he can play effectively for a few more seasons.16/10/6/2 line on B2B ..Never retire Timmy :lol

urunobili
11-03-2015, 12:45 PM
Pop: Manu is running the program and my assistant coaches are all cowards :lol

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14040281/manu-ginobili-talks-way-playing-gregg-popovich-rest-plan