PDA

View Full Version : Simple Notes from Tonight's Game: Defense Better, Offense Worse

UNT Eagles 2016
11-01-2015, 06:12 PM
... than last year. Defense looks really sharp with the starters in there. TD/LMA probably our best defensive big combo since the Twin Towers.

Also, the rotation seems clearer and clearer by the day. Anderson is too raw to be a fulltime rotation player, so Butler is the 4th wing moving forward as I have said all along he should be. In addition, Diaw has clearly beat out West for the 3rd big nod. Lastly, it seems like Bonner is only a "special teams" guy moving forward, along with Marjanovic who has inactive tonight likely due to matchup reasons.

#GSG!

HarlemHeat37
11-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Defense has played vs. 2 teams with limited offense the past 2 games..it was bad vs. the only good team they played, so far..

objective
11-01-2015, 06:24 PM
I hope Boban being inactive for Bonner was simply being in Boston and in Bonner's neck of the woods. The alternative would be unpleasant.

jeebus
11-01-2015, 07:22 PM
It was an early game. You're going to read that deep into an early game?

SAGirl
11-01-2015, 08:33 PM
... than last year. Defense looks really sharp with the starters in there. TD/LMA probably our best defensive big combo since the Twin Towers.

Also, the rotation seems clearer and clearer by the day. Anderson is too raw to be a fulltime rotation player, so Butler is the 4th wing moving forward as I have said all along he should be. In addition, Diaw has clearly beat out West for the 3rd big nod. Lastly, it seems like Bonner is only a "special teams" guy moving forward, along with Marjanovic who has inactive tonight likely due to matchup reasons.

#GSG!
There was never, ever, ever any doubt that Diaw is better in the Spurs than West would be. Too much of what goes on in the second unit, and at times the first revolved around Diaw's game. There were people clamoring for Diaw to be traded for a subsitute center or wing, but I was never among them, and I think most fans recognize that Diaw's playmaking is too valuable. What nobody could have predicted is that West would have been playing so poorly, that you almost with to see Diaw paired up with Boban in the bench, instead of West.

Butler got in the rotation bc Anderson is in a short leash and is getting the tough love treatment. Pop coaches his young players hard, particularly if they have talent to be better than whatever shiz they were doing. He was like this with Danny as well. I'd expect Kyle to continue to get opportunities, and earn his keep. Rasual is veteran and its encouraging that he's been playing well in limited minutes. Kyle is a young player with potential to be significant roleplayer for the future, and they will continue to develop his decision making.

Bonner was never expected to be a rotation player at all. He has been in uniform in cases where you would want him to be suited up. It seems like Bonner right now is the 13th man. I do wish for Boban to get in that spot, but he will have to earn it. He's been awesome against 3rd string players, but TO prone. I do think however, that Boban will show up for a game or two and usurp Bonner's spot.

apalisoc_9
11-01-2015, 08:42 PM
I thought the defense was poor today tbh.

Just so happens they played a shitty team.

TDfan2007
11-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Today was a game where the Spurs lacked the killer instinct to put Boston away. Guys are still tentative on offense. Timmy and Aldridge are still getting in each other's way every now and then, but we saw more high-low action, which is great. I love Kawhi's aggressiveness, but he really needs to improve his post footwork. Often times a defender will force him baseline on the L block and he still forces the jump hook going middle. He needs to work on a drop-step counter move. That mid-range game is gorgeous though...

cjw
11-01-2015, 11:21 PM
West is here to spell minutes for the other three during the dog days of the season. Anything more, and it's gravy. It also let's them bring along Bojan slowly.

Without Butler, the fourth wing spot would be a gaping hole, especially considering the need to keep Manu fresh and the inevitable Kawhi 10-15 games lost to injury / rest.

First unit will be humming on offense once Aldridge is fully integrated. Second unit is missing the outside shooting it had last year.

DeRozan m8
11-01-2015, 11:44 PM
dont talk about defense, when u have enrique on the floor....u cant hide him on anyone these days...

okc and waiters agree tbh

Cry Havoc
11-02-2015, 01:02 AM
I enjoy reading about these judgments on the team 3 games into the season. :lol

Sean Cagney
11-02-2015, 02:07 AM
West is here to spell minutes for the other three during the dog days of the season. Anything more, and it's gravy. It also let's them bring along Bojan slowly.

Without Butler, the fourth wing spot would be a gaping hole, especially considering the need to keep Manu fresh and the inevitable Kawhi 10-15 games lost to injury / rest.

First unit will be humming on offense once Aldridge is fully integrated. Second unit is missing the outside shooting it had last year.
Belli would be nice to have on this teams 2nd unit but damnit he's gone.