PDA

View Full Version : After Pep talk from Pop, Aldridge gets in step

SAGirl
11-01-2015, 10:36 PM
Not much we haven't already talked about. Pop just keeps nudging Aldridge to be aggressive.

"He can tell I haven't been comfortable," said Aldridge of his surprise chat with Popovich, who at one point stood and pivoted like a swinging kitchen door in hope of demonstrating ways for his new All-Star power forward to find his way. He was urging Aldridge to focus on establishing his skills within the new confines of the Spurs' offense.
"He was trying to put the bug in my ear for some things I can do to get myself going," Aldridge told NBA.com. "He sees the big picture. He sees that we can win with this group."

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/ian_thomsen/11/01/spurs-aldridge-getting-comfortable-in-new-digs/index.html

dabom
11-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Pitty bump.

Spurtacular
11-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Pitty bump.

It's a pity you can't spell pity bump.

dabom
11-02-2015, 01:11 PM
It's a pity you can't spell pity bump.

Stick to jimmy threads. :lol

BackHome
11-02-2015, 01:12 PM
😂😂😂😂😂😂

Spurtacular
11-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Stick to jimmy threads. :lol

Maybe when you stick to one screen name.

dabom
11-02-2015, 01:15 PM
Maybe when you stick to one screen name.

This is my only one rook. :lmao

Spurtacular
11-02-2015, 01:29 PM
This is my only one rook. :lmao

Please.

dabom
11-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Please.

Enlighten me on who else you think I am, please. :lol

I wanna laugh at the stupidity. :lmao

Mr Bones
11-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Anyone that acts shocked that a talented veteran free agent playing with a new & historically successful team needs a few games to get completely comfortable just doesn't understand basketball... In game three of the season, a road win, Aldridge led the team in scoring, rebounding, assists, free throw attempts, and minutes...

DMC
11-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Anyone that acts shocked that a talented veteran free agent playing with a new & historically successful team needs a few games to get completely comfortable just doesn't understand basketball... In game three of the season, a road win, Aldridge led the team in scoring, rebounding, assists, free throw attempts, and minutes...
You just described over half the forum.

Spurtacular
11-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Enlighten me on who else you think I am, please. :lol

I wanna laugh at the stupidity. :lmao

Like you haven't been "enlightened" enough.

BillMc
11-02-2015, 01:36 PM

Spot on. All things considered he's adapting very fast.

dabom
11-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Like you haven't been "enlightened" enough.

I'll give you a pass. :cop

Mr Bones
11-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Aldridge's rebounding and assist numbers are up from his career averages-- a really good sign that he is adapting and wants to be a good teammate on a championship level team...

kobyz
11-02-2015, 02:26 PM
LMA is still a soft nigga, not phisical enough that shy from the paint some, not good shot selection, play a lot of the time too cute, pop needs to change a lot in him to make him a title team player type...

Kool Bob Love
11-02-2015, 02:34 PM

LMAlpha :worthy:

daslicer
11-02-2015, 02:46 PM
It was good seeing him getting more comfortable out there and not afraid to take shots. I felt the previous games he was kind of hesitate to take shots and was trying too hard to fit in.

Dex
11-02-2015, 03:30 PM
I've already said this, but if LMA is going to have problems, these are the types of problems to have. I don't think anybody expected him to come in and just magically be a seamless fit on day one.

Fortunately, instead of taking over the offense, he seems more focused on making the right pass and fitting into the system...almost to a fault, considering his abilities. And he is still doing all of the little things...playing solid defense, protecting the rim, hitting the boards, setting hard screens, etc. I guess that's the reason he's a max-type player, and not just another one of the one trick ponies of the league.

He is bound to get more comfortable with his place in the system over time, and his scoring will surely come around as that happens. Boston was a good start, and something tells me he is going to get heavily utilized against New York as well...especially if Pop limits the Big 3's minutes.

11-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Pitty bump.
You spelled pity wrong, my man.

dabom
11-02-2015, 04:26 PM
You spelled pity wrong, my man.

:tu

BillMc
11-02-2015, 04:43 PM
I've already said this, but if LMA is going to have problems, these are the types of problems to have. I don't think anybody expected him to come in and just magically be a seamless fit on day one.

Fortunately, instead of taking over the offense, he seems more focused on making the right pass and fitting into the system...almost to a fault, considering his abilities. And he is still doing all of the little things...playing solid defense, protecting the rim, hitting the boards, setting hard screens, etc. I guess that's the reason he's a max-type player, and not just another one of the one trick ponies of the league.

He is bound to get more comfortable with his place in the system over time, and his scoring will surely come around as that happens. Boston was a good start, and something tells me he is going to get heavily utilized against New York as well...especially if Pop limits the Big 3's minutes.

Exactly. Contrast that with the integration of RJ (which was much-heraled at the time) where if Jefferson didn't score, he was useless. And he didn't really score much.

Not that Jefferson even back then was in LMA's class. But everyone thought it would be a major addition on par with the Lakers getting Gasol the year before.

Dex
11-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Exactly. Contrast that with the integration of RJ (which was much-heraled at the time) where if Jefferson didn't score, he was useless. And he didn't really score much.

Not that Jefferson even back then was in LMA's class. But everyone thought it would be a major addition on par with the Lakers getting Gasol the year before.

Sadly, I can be counted among those who thought RJ was gonna be a game-changer. The only game he changed for us was when we shipped his ass out of town...well, and those two clanked FTs during the monster comeback against the Warriors in the 2013 WCSF. :lol

Oh young Dex, you were so naive and foolish.

Horry Hipcheck
11-02-2015, 04:53 PM

Which still only tells half the story. The other, equally significant half, is that when Boston was making their late rally and the Spurs appeared to be wilting, it was Aldridge that stepped up to close them out. Three consecutive buckets, an assist to Kawhi on a huge corner 3, and a big block.

Mr. Body
11-02-2015, 04:57 PM
I'm surprised at how quickly he's adjusted to help in many ways. By the time March comes around he could be murder on other teams. Plus, last night was one of those near-losses where a scrappy, nothing-to-lose team roars back on a team that has already packed it in for the night. Those are dangerous games, and especially for old dudes that can't always turn the light back on that quick. Suddenly we have a guy who can iso and get his own shots when needed down the stretch.

Manu20
11-02-2015, 05:26 PM
I'm surprised at how quickly he's adjusted to help in many ways. By the time March comes around he could be murder on other teams. Plus, last night was one of those near-losses where a scrappy, nothing-to-lose team roars back on a team that has already packed it in for the night. Those are dangerous games, and especially for old dudes that can't always turn the light back on that quick. Suddenly we have a guy who can iso and get his own shots when needed down the stretch.

Last years Spurs would have lost Sunday's game. I might be wrong but it looks like the LMA signing has rejuvenated this team just by looking at their body language it seems that they are more confident out there.

cd98
11-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Pop is the player whisperer, except with Richard Jefferson.

BillMc
11-02-2015, 05:33 PM
Sadly, I can be counted among those who thought RJ was gonna be a game-changer. The only game he changed for us was when we shipped his ass out of town...well, and those two clanked FTs during the monster comeback against the Warriors in the 2013 WCSF. :lol

Oh young Dex, you were so naive and foolish.

Don't worry man, I was equally naive and foolish. Many of us were.

But, as you'll say, we'll always get to enjoy him clanking those free throws in 2013 playoffs. :toast

BillMc
11-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Pop is the player whisperer, except with Richard Jefferson.

Some stallions, er, geldings, you can't tame...

11-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Suddenly we have a guy who can iso and get his own shots when needed down the stretch.Yup, didn't have that luxury the last couple years. Dunno where we'd be without LMA. :tu

Mr Bones
11-02-2015, 06:31 PM
yeah, while player fans are arguing about who's the alpha, pop is telling both LMA and KL to be aggressive... and they're both listening...

kobyz
11-03-2015, 01:25 PM
I see LMA becoming somewhat a hole on defense that the better teams will start to expose, he has some bad defensive stances and bad motor on that end...

HarlemHeat37
11-03-2015, 01:48 PM
I see LMA becoming somewhat a hole on defense that the better teams will start to expose, he has some bad defensive stances and bad motor on that end...

Hey bro, just wondering, is there anybody you have liked on the Spurs the past few years?:lol..IIRC, you think Kawhi and Green suck, Pop is overrated, Aldridge is soft, etc..

HarlemHeat37
11-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Aldridge doesn't need a pep talk, btw, he needs to shed a few pounds..I mentioned this in preseason and a lot of people criticized me, but it was echoed on NBA TV yesterday:lol..

Yuixafun
11-03-2015, 01:54 PM
All that Bill Miller, TC's, Whataburger =)

11-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Aldridge doesn't need a pep talk, btw, he needs to shed a few pounds..I mentioned this in preseason and a lot of people criticized me, but it was echoed on NBA TV yesterday:lol..

You would think as much as these guys run, it wouldn't be hard to keep the pounds off :lol

These guys hit the buffet after the game or something

G-Dawgg
11-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Aldridge looks to be settling in a bit. He's starting to put up some points. However, he's still just getting warmed up. He's capable of much bigger scoring numbers wait until he really starts rolling. All aboard the L-Train.....

HarlemHeat37
11-04-2015, 10:04 AM
You would think as much as these guys run, it wouldn't be hard to keep the pounds off :lol

These guys hit the buffet after the game or something

Most NBA players eat terribly and it doesn't catch up to them until they approach or pass their 30s, tbh..I've heard a ton of interviews from current and ex-players discussing their poor eating habits in their 20s..

Al Jefferson just lost 20 pounds after finally cutting out fried chicken, this offseason:lol..

kobyz
11-04-2015, 02:31 PM
What about talking to Aldridge about boxing out? already in the early season one time he let Ibaka get a rebound that gave the thunder a win, and then also let Latvian Duncan to embarrass him with put back poster... Pop has a lot of work with LMA to clean some apathetic in him and to make him more winning type...

kobyz
11-05-2015, 12:25 AM
Pop afraid to challenge LMA?

Ice009
11-05-2015, 12:34 AM
Most NBA players eat terribly and it doesn't catch up to them until they approach or pass their 30s, tbh..I've heard a ton of interviews from current and ex-players discussing their poor eating habits in their 20s..

Al Jefferson just lost 20 pounds after finally cutting out fried chicken, this offseason:lol..

Yeah, I figured a lot of NBA players have poor diets after what I've read the last few years.

Didn't both Dwight Howard and Lamar Odom have a huge addiction to candy? I kinda recall reading that Dwight was trying to cut back on his sugar intake a couple of off-seasons ago. I also recall an article years ago where Tony and Eva were pulled over by the cops after going through a fast food drive through. I was thinking why in the F was Tony getting fast food during the NBA season. I really thought most of these guys have their own chef and try and eat healthy most of the time, but I guess not.

It seems to me that some NBA players are in the NBA mostly due to superior genetics. Some of these guys really do waste what they were given.

kobyz
05-20-2016, 06:49 PM
What about talking to Aldridge about boxing out? already in the early season one time he let Ibaka get a rebound that gave the thunder a win, and then also let Latvian Duncan to embarrass him with put back poster... Pop has a lot of work with LMA to clean some apathetic in him and to make him more winning type...

I called it at the very beginning, Pop had all the time to focus on this but he such a soft pussy and it cost us the title...