PDA

View Full Version : Pop's Urgency

TD 21
11-01-2015, 10:56 PM
You could argue we'll truly find out about it tomorrow, but it appears he's not messing around. He lost it at halftime of the Nets game and today, he played a three big rotation in the first half and a three wing rotation in the second half. Not that we'll see these things every game obviously, but usually he'd have waited a ways into the season to make these moves.

Given how easy their early schedule is and how important a top three seed is, this attitude is necessary. They can't afford to not only piss away myriad games to bottom feeders, but run the key players minutes up in the process.

apalisoc_9
11-01-2015, 11:00 PM
You could argue we'll truly find out about it tomorrow, but it appears he's not messing around. He lost it at halftime of the Nets game and today, he played a three big rotation in the first half and a three wing rotation in the second half. Not that we'll see these things every game obviously, but usually he'd have waited a ways into the season to make these moves.

Given how easy their early schedule is and how important a top three seed is, this attitude is necessary. They can't afford to not only piss away myriad games to bottom feeders, but run the key players minutes up in the process.

So do you think the key players will start getting post-allstar break minutes early in the season?

Or are you talking about going all out now in the next few games so they xan find the rotation and stick with it a month from now?

I think the spurs are in race for time here, but I can't imagine Pop playing post-allstar rotation and minutes the first 10 games...

Maybe he'll play kawhi and LMA more...I don't know.

SAGirl
11-01-2015, 11:03 PM

Not only that, he played only 2 PG (no Ray) and gave a little less minutes to Tony in favor of MIlls, since Tony was having a bad game.

The bottom dwellers in the bench need to clean up their act because we are not going to survive a full season at this rate. No. 1, if there are injuries one or two guys need to step up and we know the culprits. No. 2 the old guys will not hold up a full season with minutes like the ones in this particular game, and by the way, it was a close game until the end and it could have gone either way.

Boneheaded plays will not be tolerated I believe.

Mikeanaro
11-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Agreed, it seems he doesnt want to give up games, that 1 one uno game last season has cost us everything.

ElNono
11-01-2015, 11:08 PM
I think the rationale at the moment is to let the guys that are much more familiar with the system carry the load right now, while the rest catches up, and hopefully in the 2nd part of the season the new guys can shoulder a bigger load and let the older guys rest. It's a strategy that has it's risks, tbh... if one of the older guys develops a nagging injury, it would be fairly fatal to our chances... but unfortunately, I don't think we have many options right now if we don't want to suck and fall in the standings...

Mikeanaro
11-01-2015, 11:09 PM
Also it seems the Pellicans dont have any urgence :downspin:

TD 21
11-01-2015, 11:13 PM
So do you think the key players will start getting post-allstar break minutes early in the season?

Or are you talking about going all out now in the next few games so they xan find the rotation and stick with it a month from now?

I think the spurs are in race for time here, but I can't imagine Pop playing post-allstar rotation and minutes the first 10 games...

Maybe he'll play kawhi and LMA more...I don't know.

Probably not on a game to game basis, but I do believe he's more willing to do whatever it takes to win a particular game than he has been in the past, at least early in the season.

Instead of bracing for the back to back tomorrow and trying to get away with limiting Duncan's and Ginobili's minutes, he basically played them close to the limit he's likely willing to play them. Granted, it's possible the intent is to sit them tomorrow.

I agree with doing what it takes to win, in games they should win. Yeah, it'd have been nice to play Duncan and Ginobili 5 less minutes each, but you don't risk losing the game over that. Since they're only going to play in a certain range anyway, the odd game off is more critical than whether they play a few more minutes than what's ideal.

People can talk all they want about getting them to the playoffs in one piece, but the reality is they're not winning the championship as a 4 or 5 seed. I think Pop realized that in the past, but the difference now is, he knows finishing with a top 3 seed is not a given.

FromWayDowntown
11-01-2015, 11:19 PM
The growing pains are going to be there, but why make them worse by allowing the team to get into an early season hole in the standings to add some extra pressure to the process?

It makes sense to me to build some early buffer in the record against a soft schedule, then to use the time between Thanksgiving and the All-Star game to more fully incorporate other parts, to get to the point of being whole after the break (or knowing that you need to go in another direction).

TrainOfThought5
11-01-2015, 11:24 PM
To be honest... we have a great bench. I think Boban, Butler, Anderson, Mills, Diaw and crew are great guys.

100%duncan
11-01-2015, 11:35 PM
I'm liking it. Coasting cost us last season.

Brian Windhorst
11-01-2015, 11:38 PM
The problem, and you can tell Pop has already realized it in 3 games, is that we're probably a bottom-5 defensive team in any minutes where Tim or LMA are not on the court. West just isn't a center, and Marjanovic, while fun to watch, is nowhere near ready to give us 20 good minutes against starters and rotation guys. This won't be a problem in the playoffs, but it severely limits Pop's ability to get rest for Duncan or Lamarcus during the season.

100%duncan
11-01-2015, 11:39 PM
The problem, and you can tell Pop has already realized it in 3 games, is that we're probably a bottom-5 defensive team in any minutes where Tim or LMA are not on the court. West just isn't a center, and Marjanovic, while fun to watch, is nowhere near ready to give us 20 good minutes against starters and rotation guys. This won't be a problem in the playoffs, but it severely limits Pop's ability to get rest for Duncan or Lamarcus during the season.

Yup i noticed this game that he played duncan and lma separately to balance the lack of C/size.

SAGirl
11-01-2015, 11:45 PM
To be honest... we have a great bench. I think Boban, Butler, Anderson, Mills, Diaw and crew are great guys.
Me too, but these past few games have had too many mistakes from everyone, when you add the main guys not having chemistry, Danny being off and having clutzy plays of his own, Tony with the too many TO, Kawhi has been very good in everything, but also having his own careless TO, Aldridge being out of rhythm and gun shy until tonight, then it magnifies the mistakes from the bench, which otherwise you could tolerate.

Kyle's basically a rook when rotation minutes are concerned. I really think he will come through for us at some point through the season, he's played well enough in the past that I am not discouraged in my fandom of him, but he's new and will make mistakes, its a given for young guys. When everyone else that you can't spare is also having a shitty game, then you really can't afford a mental spazz from him. I would expect him to play well tomorrow as a matter of fact bc today's benching will certainly have carved a hole. Rasual is perfect next to Manu, but not on his own. When Manu rests, we need Kyle to have some confidence out there, RAsual is not a creator.

Should be interesting to see which way Pop goes tomorrow.

gospursgojas
11-01-2015, 11:50 PM
He should shave his beard then.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-02-2015, 04:21 AM
Great thread. Pop looks more motivated this early than ever before. He's been playing a 8/9-man rotation, which is surprising this early and has been trying to avoid the Boris-West combo after the Thunder game - he's quick to adjust instead of giving things time - very playoff-like coaching.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't rest anyone in NY for the b2b.

BillMc
11-02-2015, 06:29 AM
Best thread in a long time on here. :bobo

Fireball
11-02-2015, 06:30 AM
I did not see urgency against OKC ... and I am still pissed about it

kaji157
11-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Yeah we let the first one slip so that Danny and Tony could finish the game.
Stupid move to let a game slip against a potential seed contender.
But itf it helped Pop take his head out of his arse then great.
Now Danny needs to take his out too.

Fireball
11-02-2015, 10:04 AM
it was the very first game, so Pop gets a pass ... otherwise people here are right that he looks very engaged

Yuixafun
11-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Yeah we let the first one slip so that Danny and Tony could finish the game.
Stupid move to let a game slip against a potential seed contender.
But itf it helped Pop take his head out of his arse then great.
Now Danny needs to take his out too.

For real. Sometimes people need to be humbled, before they can truly rebuild.

If Tony still had any lingering ideas about his past triumphs... I hope that 1st game of the season, getting attacked and smoked, despite his best efforts, was the curtain call for Enrique.

Old School 44
11-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Me too, but these past few games have had too many mistakes from everyone, when you add the main guys not having chemistry, Danny being off and having clutzy plays of his own, Tony with the too many TO, Kawhi has been very good in everything, but also having his own careless TO, Aldridge being out of rhythm and gun shy until tonight, then it magnifies the mistakes from the bench, which otherwise you could tolerate.

Kyle's basically a rook when rotation minutes are concerned. I really think he will come through for us at some point through the season, he's played well enough in the past that I am not discouraged in my fandom of him, but he's new and will make mistakes, its a given for young guys. When everyone else that you can't spare is also having a shitty game, then you really can't afford a mental spazz from him. I would expect him to play well tomorrow as a matter of fact bc today's benching will certainly have carved a hole. Rasual is perfect next to Manu, but not on his own. When Manu rests, we need Kyle to have some confidence out there, RAsual is not a creator.

Should be interesting to see which way Pop goes tomorrow.

I like Kyle too. I bet Danny loves him even more. Looks like Kyle's going to make the move ahead of Danny as Pop's favorite "whipping boy".

I think Pop's urgency comes from the selling of "the Spurs Way" to LaMarcus and David West. Not that Aldridge or West would/are complaining, but if you're winning, you remove that from the equation. You also solidify in Aldridge and West minds that they made the right decisions to come here. I know it's still early, but can you imagine if we started like the Rockets?

Solid D
11-02-2015, 10:30 AM
With the current personnel, I see Nellie-ball in the foreground and the "Beautiful Game" as the secondary option.

I. Hustle
11-02-2015, 10:31 AM
I like Kyle too. I bet Danny loves him even more. Looks like Kyle's going to make the move ahead of Danny as Pop's favorite "whipping boy".

I think Pop's urgency comes from the selling of "the Spurs Way" to LaMarcus and David West. Not that Aldridge or West would/are complaining, but if you're winning, you remove that from the equation. You also solidify in Aldridge and West minds that they might the right decisions to come here.

I hope that Kyle realizes that it's only going to make him better. I like the kid but I'd like to see some improvement as well.

It hasn't even been that many games and people are expecting LA and DW to automatically fit in and learn the whole system. They didn't even get much playing time during the pre season because of all the scrubs that Pop was weeding out. I think that the season is looking good. The first game was a REALLY good game. The outcome wasn't what we wanted but it was very entertaining against a team that already knows eachother. I won't be too disappointed if we don't win it all this year but I really think it's possible.

spursistan
11-02-2015, 10:39 AM
He may sound dismissive about it from appearance, but Pop is pretty aware about the schedule ..He feels like we we can't afford to cock-up too many games right here in this soft stretch even as we are intergrating new pieces..I guess he learned the hard way last season; you don't put your seeding on the line in last game vs desperate teams..

dweaver99027
11-02-2015, 10:56 AM
Nobody likes to lose, especially competitors. But Pop's eye is always on the big prize. An errant loss to the Knicks or Pels last year won't debunk 20 years worth of NBA coaching and team building experience. I'm sure Pop cares about seeding, but not as much as people like to think after the event of last year.

peacemaker885
11-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Good Monday morning to everyone! To keep that blood pumping and boiling here's BDL's Power Rankings.

Note: You have to scroll waaay down to find the Spurs. Almost didn't make it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/bdl-s-most-interesting-power-rankings--the-champs-are--still--here-063450302.html

SpursFan86
11-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Good Monday morning to everyone! To keep that blood pumping and boiling here's BDL's Power Rankings.

Note: You have to scroll waaay down to find the Spurs. Almost didn't make it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/bdl-s-most-interesting-power-rankings--the-champs-are--still--here-063450302.html

Before anyone freaks out, those are the "Most Interesting" power rankings - "teams most worthy of your attention". The guy isn't saying that teams like the Lakers and Knicks are top 10 teams in the league :lol

dabom
11-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Lakers above spurs. Wow. Hahahahhah

dabom
11-02-2015, 12:00 PM
I was on my cell when looking through this. Lol

11-02-2015, 12:18 PM
He should shave his beard then.

Kawhi 5-0
11-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Gregg Popovich: not too cool to coach. Early in that Brooklyn game we looked pretty bad. And then I see Pop over on the sideline dancing and yelling as Danny Green is guarding someone. Right in front of the Spurs bench. THAT is what we have that no other franchise does. It might be trendy to say "the world is flat" and no one needs to be in charge, but Pop shows why old-school worked for so long. If you have a mission to get done, then there is no time to mess around. There is a clearly-defined hierarchy here. Yes, it takes the right group of wealthy professional athletes (reality check) to mesh with a grating drill sergeant like Pop, but it also takes wisdom from the hard-ass. He might bench Kyle Anderson after 59 seconds, but he knows how to work the other side of the coin as well. Timmy can't handle a pass from Danny? That's ok. It was the right decision from Green. It was to simple play. Things aren't going to be perfect yet. "Good pass." Pop might micromanage the beJesus out of certain moments, but once the guys are playing it's their game. There will probably be coaching apps which tell coaches the optimal time to call timeout, but they can't replicate the pattern recognition of one old dude in a suit out there sweating on the sideline. Kudos to Pop! Hang in there Kyle :)

dweaver99027
11-02-2015, 03:03 PM
True leader. Mad respect for Mr. Poppovich. Even if he leaves tomorrow to coach the Lakers.

Raven
11-02-2015, 03:05 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if he started drinking cola and eating burgers while at a game tbh.

11-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Starting with the second half of the Brooklyn game and through most of the game yesterday, there was some excellent defense being played.

It's more of an emphasis when you consider that this team is really going to buckle down defensively, while the offense is still a work in progress.

tenbeersbold
11-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Popovich as a white man defied the will of the NBA that Celtics game.Every BS rig was used to try and stop the Spurs trio from dethroning the Celts trio record. Good on Pop and good on the team for weathering another Boston racist episode

SAGirl
11-02-2015, 06:32 PM
I did not see urgency against OKC ... and I am still pissed about it
It was the first game of the season and I think the Diaw/West combo being so shitty had not revealed itself bc TBH Diaw rested most of preseason and played spotty minutes with very shitty lineups that included guys not on the rotation. That pairing not working out I think caught Pop entirely by surprise.

Other things happened in that game that were out of Pop's control like Danny having an awful game and LMA still being out of synch with everyone else.

NameLess Scrub
11-03-2015, 09:17 AM
It was the first game of the season and I think the Diaw/West combo being so shitty had not revealed itself bc TBH Diaw rested most of preseason and played spotty minutes with very shitty lineups that included guys not on the rotation. That pairing not working out I think caught Pop entirely by surprise.

Other things happened in that game that were out of Pop's control like Danny having an awful game and LMA still being out of synch with everyone else.

But why would it surprise him though? I'd think he just wanted to try it but was aware of the most likely outcome.

I hope everybody gets to a productive level timely, so the old guys can rest.
That's probably the only way to get both a high seed and health come playoffs.

2014 looks like a fantasy now.. :lol

TD 21
11-03-2015, 06:46 PM

It was obvious Diaw-West would be a terrible fit. Still, having a guy like Kanter off the bench is an anomaly and Pop needs to give it another chance. We saw the residual effect of not playing them together: Duncan being ran into the ground.

It's fine here and there and he was obviously having an excellent game, but had the result not been in hand with 2-3 minutes left, he'd have played a 20 minute 2nd half and close to 37 total, on the 2nd game of a back to back, against a bad team. That's not sustainable.

That said, we officially have our answer to the question I posed. Second game of a back to back, bad team and he essentially goes with a tight eight man rotation. Suffice it to say, Pop's not messing around.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2015, 06:51 PM
It was obvious Diaw-West would be a terrible fit. Still, having a guy like Kanter off the bench is an anomaly and Pop needs to give it another chance. We saw the residual effect of not playing them together: Duncan being ran into the ground.

It's fine here and there and he was obviously having an excellent game, but had the result not been in hand with 2-3 minutes left, he'd have played a 20 minute 2nd half and close to 37 total, on the 2nd game of a back to back, against a bad team. That's not sustainable.

That said, we officially have our answer to the question I posed. Second game of a back to back, bad team and he essentially goes with a tight eight man rotation. Suffice it to say, Pop's not messing around.

Kanter is an elite offensive rebounder, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that those guys got eaten up.

SAGirl
11-03-2015, 07:53 PM
If we want a championship the Diaw/West combo will have to be figured out somehow. It may involve less TD/LMA together or more Boban. Unfortunately, West is the odd man out, but I believe Pop will find him minutes even if BoboTD give up 3-4 mins each to West. Pop will figure something out. I am a proponent of maybe some Boban, 7-8 mins. We have to give Timmy a breather.

He won't hold up playing 35 mins on each of a back to back and both teams had athletic young bigs, that you do exert energy boxing out, and defending. They are not the Demarcus Cousins of the world, but they still made TD work. The big situation is a little more concerning than even the wing one, bc Danny and Kawhi are so young and can give so many quality minutes, then you can sprinkle Patty, Manu and the other guys in as Pop sees fit, but if Kawhi and Danny are healthy, this is less of a concern as the TD minutes.