PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi should easily repeat as DPOY

spursistan
11-02-2015, 10:55 PM
:lmao at the media trying to prematurely and out of left field install Anthony Davis as some kind of competitor for the award this season..Even Zach Lowe in his last and Final podcast for Grantland stated that he began to regret his AD for DPOY pick after watching Leonard terrorize Durant in the season opener..Kawhi's nighly wreckage on that front can't simply go unnoticed..It is staggering ownage of his match-up that he is now even going for the outright humiliating blocks of opponent shots (averaging 2 BLKs per game :wow)..

FkLA
11-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Kawhigod :worthy:

Silver&Black
11-02-2015, 11:00 PM
Dude is playing lights out D right now. As usual, per par tbqh.

Durant-check
Melo-check

Let's keep it going Kawhi.

random21
11-02-2015, 11:01 PM
Second best sf in the league, TBH... That move he did on Melo, faked his ass out and blocked him twice...

KL2
11-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Casual fans still think Melo>Leonard, hopefully this game opened their eyes, Leonard is the much better player, it's not close.

AZK619
11-02-2015, 11:04 PM
KawhiAlpha just getting warmed up, tbh. :flag:

TXstbobcat
11-02-2015, 11:07 PM
Leonard with 14 rebounds 2 steals and 4 blocks tonight. :wow

loveforthegame
11-02-2015, 11:08 PM
No chance at all. Not with that assist to turnover ratio. /sarcasm

K...
11-02-2015, 11:09 PM
It would be unprecedented for a non big man to win multiple dpoy. So while I agree he should, one, it's very premature to assume he'll be injury free, two, the award is a popularity contest and there are few defensive centers who might make a splash and generate buzz.

SpursFan86
11-02-2015, 11:10 PM
If anyone deserves it over him, it'll probably be Gobert. Dude is an absolute monster on defense...Utah's defense immediately jumped to the top of the league last season once Kanter was traded and Gobert started playing more, and now this season they've gotten off to a ridiculous start on that end as well.

Davis has the potential to be an all-time great defender, but he's definitely not there yet. For now he's simply an above average defender - wouldn't call him elite at the moment.

HarlemHeat37
11-02-2015, 11:10 PM
It's pretty rare to see a perimeter player maintain his defensive anchor role with an increased, high-usage offensive role..2011-2013 Lebron and maybe Paul George are the only guys that come to mind in recent history..

apalisoc_9
11-02-2015, 11:12 PM
If anyone deserves it over him, it'll probably be Gobert. Dude is an absolute monster on defense...Utah's defense immediately jumped to the top of the league last season once Kanter was traded and Gobert started playing more, and now this season they've gotten off to a ridiculous start on that end as well.

Davis has the potential to be an all-time great defender, but he's definitely not there yet.
Whats up with this?

Hes a poor post defender and a hideous pnr and pnp defender...im not sure why fans get easily sold on potential as opposed to actual defensive production

apalisoc_9
11-02-2015, 11:14 PM
If anyone from last year that didnt win dpoy and deserve hype is gobert...but everyone is talking about davis as dpoy candidate instead of gobert

spursistan
11-02-2015, 11:14 PM
Whats up with this?

Hes a poor post defender and a hideous pnr and pnp defender...im not sure why fans get easily sold on potential as opposed to actual defensive production
who you are talking about Gobert or Davis?

Holden_Caulfield
11-02-2015, 11:16 PM
Doing it on both sides of the ball too. MVP candidate for sure

baseline bum
11-02-2015, 11:16 PM
I can't believe this team somehow managed to replace Bowen with an even better defender at the 3.

apalisoc_9
11-02-2015, 11:17 PM
who you are talking about Gobert or Davis?
Davis..Gobert deserves the defensive hype davis is getting..davis is not even elite defender right now..wtf

Brian Windhorst
11-02-2015, 11:17 PM
Wings almost never win it. It's funny, when Sean was talking about "they always pick one guy whose name comes up in the last few weeks of the season" that is exactly how Kawhi won it IIRC. Everyone expected Deandre Jordan or Davis/Golbert, and I remember being absolutely shocked when they announced it.

SpursFan86
11-02-2015, 11:19 PM
Whats up with this?

What do you mean "what's up with this"? I specifically said that Davis isn't there yet - meaning he isn't an elite defender at this point in time. I just pointed out that he has the tools/potential to become an all-time great defender. I never said his potential makes him a better defender than Kawhi or anything like that.

SpurPadre
11-02-2015, 11:21 PM
Well, Draymond Green bitched a lot last year when he didn't win, so much so that he might whine and cry his way into a sympathy vote this time around. As long as it ends up with Kawhi getting another ring out of it, I'm sure he would care less.

HarlemHeat37
11-02-2015, 11:23 PM
The beauty of living in the social media era with new-age media coverage, rather than relying on old media that thinks players like DeAndre Jordan are great defenders:lol..

The people that cover the NBA are much more knowledgeable than they used to be, thankfully..

K...
11-02-2015, 11:27 PM
If anyone from last year that didnt win dpoy and deserve hype is gobert...but everyone is talking about davis as dpoy candidate instead of gobert

Bro, aren't you old to know that this award never goes to the best candidate, but goes to a big name player with a good blocks average. Gobert is exactly the kind of guy who won the award under Stern. Maybe silver changed the attitude but it's a media award with a clear bias toward bigs

rasuo214
11-02-2015, 11:29 PM
Wings almost never win it. It's funny, when Sean was talking about "they always pick one guy whose name comes up in the last few weeks of the season" that is exactly how Kawhi won it IIRC. Everyone expected Deandre Jordan or Davis/Golbert, and I remember being absolutely shocked when they announced it.

Yea Draymond was the favorite, then Doc was hyping up Deandre so he was getting the media buzz then Kawhi had the game against Curry which basically won him DPOY.

Next decent SF on the schedule is Rudy Gay in a week.

KL2
11-02-2015, 11:31 PM
Best perimeter defender of all time.

SAGirl
11-02-2015, 11:32 PM
Second best sf in the league, TBH... That move he did on Melo, faked his ass out and blocked him twice...
I am being a homer here, but there is no one else I would rather have as SF which is why I found it ridiculous that some so called fans wanted the spurs to pursue Durant in free agency next year. Helloooo no!

Roger Freemason Jr.
Grizzlies look horrible on offense. It's cringeworthy.

SpursFan86
People acting like Gobert only gets hype because of his blocks :lol

I guess Utah just magically transformed into one of the best defenses in the league...coincidentally at the same time Gobert started getting major minutes :rolleyes

SAGirl
11-02-2015, 11:36 PM
Yea Draymond was the favorite, then Doc was hyping up Deandre so he was getting the media buzz then Kawhi had the game against Curry which basically won him DPOY.

Next decent SF on the schedule is Rudy Gay in a week.
Rudy always gets his TBH. He's just a good passer no. 1, 2nd he gets his open 3s out of the motion of the offense or Cousins doubles, so he's not jacking as many forced up shots as Durant and Carmelo. He gets his transition buckets just because, and he has a midrange game that does not depend on him posting up Kawhi. He's also tall and strong, and atheltic enough so that Kawhi doesn't bother him as much for some reason. I dont expect him to go at Kawhi one on one, he's a sneaky guy who will use screens to get himself free, and do other stuff. He's got decent explosion too, that if Kawhi helps on someone else for example, he will get himself free. For some reason Rudy always gets his against us tBH.

cjw
11-02-2015, 11:36 PM
dont tell me u got lebron no.1, even that is debateable that kawhi is no.1

h2h matchups kawhi has no problem containing him while putting up his own seasonal avgs, i dont think lebron has ever shut down kawhi besides shitting the bed at kawhis aura anywhere in the proximity on the court

Uh what? This makes no sense. Just stop. Do you remember how off the charts was in the '14 Finals? Had the Heat not lost by a huge margin, Lebron put up MVP-worthy stats.

The only way Kawhi is the best SF in the game is if you consider Lebron a PF.

SAGirl
11-02-2015, 11:38 PM

I guess Utah just magically transformed into one of the best defenses in the league...coincidentally at the same time Gobert started getting major minutes :rolleyes
Gobert is the real deal. Love him.

apalisoc_9
11-02-2015, 11:40 PM

Who is saying that here?

1. Leonard
2. Gobert
3. Draymond

Are clearlybthe top 3 three defenders in the league. Obviously you have shitty analyst with antiquated takes but those three should be clear cut but for some reason Gobert isn't and some idiots still argue Davis, Jordan over Draymond :lol

Splits
11-02-2015, 11:42 PM
antiquated!!

SpursFan86
11-02-2015, 11:43 PM
Who is saying that here?

Bro, aren't you old to know that this award never goes to the best candidate, but goes to a big name player with a good blocks average. Gobert is exactly the kind of guy who won the award under Stern. Maybe silver changed the attitude but it's a media award with a clear bias toward bigs

2ndPFGOAT as well but he's obviously a troll so that's my fault for responding seriously to him.

daslicer
11-02-2015, 11:46 PM
One thing I have observed this year is the refs give Kawhi more leeway to reach and play physical on defense than in years past which is great.

SpursFan86
11-02-2015, 11:51 PM
One thing I have observed this year is the refs give Kawhi more leeway to reach and play physical on defense than in years past which is great.

One of the beauties of him winning DPOTY last year. Refs allow him to get away with more because of that reputation.

YGWHI
11-02-2015, 11:52 PM
I can't believe this team somehow managed to replace Bowen with an even better defender at the 3.

Amazing.

Proxy
11-02-2015, 11:58 PM
I mean.... it's a media award, right? ST didn't care much for the DPOY when TD missed out, but now it's important.

I think having these iconic defensive stops on Durant and Melo would have as much, maybe more to do with him repeating than actual statistics. If Kawhi is gaining leeway from the refs to add to that reputation, then I'm all for it.

AFMadison
11-03-2015, 12:10 AM
:lmao at the media trying to prematurely and out of left field install Anthony Davis as some kind of competitor for the award this season..Even Zach Lowe in his last and Final podcast for Grantland stated that he began to regret his AD for DPOY pick after watching Leonard terrorize Durant in the season opener..Kawhi's nighly wreckage on that front can't simply go unnoticed..It is staggering ownage of his match-up that he is now even going for the outright humiliating blocks of opponent shots (averaging 2 BLKs per game :wow)..

Loved how Kawhi and Lebron went after each other last year, Kawhi won that matchup but missing those final free throws kind of stole the show. Can't wait to see those two get after this year.

spurraider21
11-03-2015, 12:14 AM
:wow

SpursIndonesia
11-03-2015, 12:24 AM
rim protector vs perimeter defender?

who is goberts competition on the low posts to rach up his defensive stats or shut down? all the bigs today are pure shit

kawhi is out there shutting down the best perimeter players and mostlty players on the top10 list, compared to some clown waiting in key waiting to be funnel a player to block?

Are you retarded or something ? Great perimeter defender can only affects one opponent at the time, great paint defender like Gobert simply shuts down the paint, only allows shitty midrange jumpers if the team smart enough to close in all opponent 3 point shooters.

Kawhi defensive greatness is amplified with the availability of great perimeter opponents at the wing position, but a defensive anchor like Gobert is the strong base for any team defense night in & out.

SpursIndonesia
11-03-2015, 12:34 AM

This ! He is not some one like Jordan who has blocks here and there because he is super athletic or long, but he reads the plays very well and stop the attack altogether. In yesterday game against the Pacers, Myles Turner feasted against any Utah bigs beside Gobert, and Paul George attacked the mismatch at the PF spot every time Rudy was taken out the game, but when Gobert was in, basically no fly zone, no shots allowed inside the paint, resulting a blow out win in an away game.

KL2
11-03-2015, 12:41 AM
Are you retarded or something ? Great perimeter defender can only affects one opponent at the time, great paint defender like Gobert simply shuts down the paint, only allows shitty midrange jumpers if the team smart enough to close in all opponent 3 point shooters.

Kawhi defensive greatness is amplified with the availability of great perimeter opponents at the wing position, but a defensive anchor like Gobert is the strong base for any team defense night in & out.

I don't think you realize how great Leonard's defense is, he's on pace to be the greatest perimeter defender ever. He disrupts entire offenses by taking out key stars, shuts down passing lanes, shuts down the pick and roll, he's an elite post defender, and an elite help defender boosting all of his teammate's ratings. Not to mention his rebounding is also elite, great at boxing out. The Spurs would get killed on the boards without him like they used to.

All Mighty Janitor
11-03-2015, 12:41 AM

This not true, especially of Kawhi. He team defense is amazing. He shuts down the side of the court he is on. People who he is not directly guarding don't want to dribble close to him. And, if the beginning of this season is any indication, he's protects and blocks shots at the rim as well. His ability to steal the ball from people without being out of position and without fouling is incredible. And this is while being able switch onto other positions so he can always greatly affect games with his defense.

Mr. Body
11-03-2015, 12:47 AM
Refs are letting Kawhi be even more physical, which is crazy.

rasuo214
11-03-2015, 12:53 AM
Refs are letting Kawhi be even more physical, which is crazy.

Best thing about Kawhi winning DPOY. Hopefully he continues to get that leeway, especially against the stars (Lebron, Curry etc.).

apalisoc_9
11-03-2015, 01:02 AM

Exhibit of A of an idiot who hasnt caught up to how the modern game is played

100%duncan
11-03-2015, 01:19 AM

Yup.

kawhidoyoudothistome
11-03-2015, 02:27 AM

When Kawhi's on the floor, I believe the Spurs are a completely different team defensively. He really messes up a team's rhythm, similar to that of Gobert, possibly even more so since Kawhi usually shuts down the other team's best player outright. One of the reasons why he's the front runner so far.

SpursIndonesia
11-03-2015, 02:34 AM
Exhibit of A of an idiot who hasnt caught up to how the modern game is played

Say whatever you want, but Kawhi's defense doesn't help the Spurs all that much when we played against the Clips last summer, exactly because that team doesn't have a perimeter threats that he usually is being effective of. All credit to TD for being an effective help defender well into his twilight years as NBA players, but if it was Gobert instead of him on that fateful game 7 last shot, the end result might have been completely different.

SpursIndonesia
11-03-2015, 02:41 AM
When Kawhi's on the floor, I believe the Spurs are a completely different team defensively. He really messes up a team's rhythm, similar to that of Gobert, possibly even more so since Kawhi usually shuts down the other team's best player outright. One of the reasons why he's the front runner so far.

Not saying he is not a great defender, i just refuted TDMVPOY assertion that perimeter defense is all that much important compared to shut down paint defense. I do think that it is the other way around, though not that asymmetrical. Perimeter defense becomes very important when you can limit or even shut down opponent superstars, but it is not as general as shut down paint defense IMHO.

SpursIndonesia
11-03-2015, 02:42 AM
-delete- double post

apalisoc_9
11-03-2015, 02:46 AM
But but blocks..wow go back to the 90s son.

Kawhitstorm
11-03-2015, 02:53 AM
Both Curry/Kawhi are playing w/ a chip on their shoulder b/c folks were saying they didn't deserve their individual awards. Meanwhile Harden/Davis might have let the pre-season hype get in their head.

Kawhitstorm
11-03-2015, 03:08 AM
Rudy always gets his TBH. He's just a good passer no. 1, 2nd he gets his open 3s out of the motion of the offense or Cousins doubles, so he's not jacking as many forced up shots as Durant and Carmelo. He gets his transition buckets just because, and he has a midrange game that does not depend on him posting up Kawhi. He's also tall and strong, and atheltic enough so that Kawhi doesn't bother him as much for some reason. I dont expect him to go at Kawhi one on one, he's a sneaky guy who will use screens to get himself free, and do other stuff. He's got decent explosion too, that if Kawhi helps on someone else for example, he will get himself free. For some reason Rudy always gets his against us tBH.

Rudy is shooting 39% for his career against Kawhi & he was once held without a field goal (1pt: http://bkref.com/tiny/ZD6hQ). Rudy takes fadeaways or contest 15 footers (aka terrible shots) that are impossible to block b/c of his length. He's either going to brick them or make them. But I remember Kawhi pwning Rudy last season when he tried to drive or put the ball on the floor:
iH-gT9mxT5o

kobyz
11-03-2015, 03:30 AM

You did nothing if came playoff time and Matt Barnes happened!!!

rasuo214
11-03-2015, 04:42 AM
Say whatever you want, but Kawhi's defense doesn't help the Spurs all that much when we played against the Clips last summer, exactly because that team doesn't have a perimeter threats that he usually is being effective of. All credit to TD for being an effective help defender well into his twilight years as NBA players, but if it was Gobert instead of him on that fateful game 7 last shot, the end result might have been completely different.

That would be like someone saying Gobert's defense isn't that helpful because he didn't stop Step Curry from raining 3s on the Jazz. Well no shit Gobert isn't going to be as helpful in shutting down a 3p shooting pg. That in no way means he isn't an impact defender, just like Kawhi.

rasuo214
11-03-2015, 04:47 AM
Both Curry/Kawhi are playing w/ a chip on their shoulder b/c folks were saying they didn't deserve their individual awards. Meanwhile Harden/Davis might have let the pre-season hype get in their head.

You would think Harden would be playing with a chip on his shoulder since in his eyes he got snubbed, and especially after that awful playoff game. It just goes to show why Curry and Kawhi were deserving winners. Instead of resting on their laurels they work to get better.

MI21
11-03-2015, 06:42 AM
I can not remember in my time watching the NBA a player that can attack the opposition dribble as Kawhi. His defense this season has been the best it's ever been, he is literally doing everything - shutting down the opponent on the ball, highlights steals and blocks, great team defense and rotations and defensive rebounding. It's fucking incredible atm.

Wildcat67
11-03-2015, 07:57 AM
The even crazier part of those opposing SF stats is that in each of those games each guy got 1 or 2 of their buckets either in transition or off switches so they actually did even worse against Kawhi then the stats suggest.

james evans
11-03-2015, 11:40 AM
he SHOULD, but this is the nba we're talking about here. The same league that every year continued to put Hoebe Bryant on a first team all defensive and one year duncan didn't even make any of the teams. They'll give it to anthony davis this year. It's probably one of the bonuses the league promised Tom Benson when they sold him the team. He was on the cover of NBA 2K this year. You know how the nba does.

Kawhitstorm
11-03-2015, 02:48 PM
You did nothing if came playoff time and Matt Barnes happened!!!

You need to work on your grammar to save your failing troll career.

I. Hustle
11-03-2015, 02:59 PM

Bowen should have told LA no and would only allow his jersey to come down if Kawheezy wore 12.

BillMc
11-03-2015, 06:58 PM
PTR:

Durant, Johnson and Anthony have shot a combined 11 of 43 (26.3 percent) while Leonard is defending them. Keep in mind: These are no offensive slouches. Durant and Anthony are arguably the two best pure scorers in the league and Johnson wasn't paid $119 million because of his defense.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/11/3/9662624/rehash-spurs-knicks-change

loveforthegame
11-03-2015, 09:41 PM

Nice write up about how Leonard stopped Melo. Some tweets, stats, and images included. Some like to poke fun at Kawhi being Melo-lite offense but there might be something to it. Melo says they've played 1 on 1 before.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/how-kawhi-leonard-locked-up-carmelo-anthony-201955158.html

Another story on him with quotes from Pop and Parker.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/As-Leonard-s-offensive-game-emerges-he-6608181.php?t=20b3c6feed927fc3fb&cmpid=twitter-premium

dabom
11-03-2015, 09:42 PM

Nice write up about how Leonard stopped Melo. Some tweets, stats, and images included. Some like to poke fun at Kawhi being Melo-lite offense but there might be something to it. Melo says they've played 1 on 1 before.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/how-kawhi-leonard-locked-up-carmelo-anthony-201955158.html

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/As-Leonard-s-offensive-game-emerges-he-6608181.php?t=20b3c6feed927fc3fb&cmpid=twitter-premium

You really a warriors fan?

Obstructed_View
11-03-2015, 09:46 PM
This thread assumes that he'll keep this up all season, and if he does that, he's going to be MVP.

loveforthegame
11-03-2015, 09:50 PM
You really a warriors fan?

They've been my second team for years but I'm getting sick of their cocky attitude. They could learn something from the Spurs in how to handle success.

dabom
11-03-2015, 09:54 PM
I love the real modesty and class the Spurs show when they win or lose.

Spurtacular
11-03-2015, 10:05 PM
Anthony Davis is a beast in the paint; amazing leaps. D Green played well last season; though I felt the media trumped him a bit too much. D Jordan outplayed Kawhi in the playoffs on defense by far. That was a big disappointment. All of that said, Kawhi has to be the favorite; he is more consistently finding that high gear on defense.

Ice009
11-04-2015, 04:47 AM
They've been my second team for years but I'm getting sick of their cocky attitude. They could learn something from the Spurs in how to handle success.

I used to like the Warriors, but at times, they're acting like complete twats by over-celebrating every chance they get.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Kawhi is the best defender in the NBA period. He established that last March and is just sustaining his level of play.

YGWHI
11-04-2015, 11:15 AM

Nice!! Thanks for posting!

james evans
11-04-2015, 11:36 AM
PTR:

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/11/3/9662624/rehash-spurs-knicks-change
:lol

HarlemHeat37
11-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Anthony Davis is a beast in the paint; amazing leaps. D Green played well last season; though I felt the media trumped him a bit too much. D Jordan outplayed Kawhi in the playoffs on defense by far. That was a big disappointment. All of that said, Kawhi has to be the favorite; he is more consistently finding that high gear on defense.

:lol Jordan's defense was mostly a non-factor in the playoffs..he got absolutely murdered by 38-year old Tim Duncan, too..

He's a good defender, but far from great, just like Davis..

BillMc
11-04-2015, 12:23 PM
I know he's coming back from an injury and therefore should be given a pass, but is there anyone (other than maybe Kevin Durant:lol) who would still take Paul George over Kawhi? Even pre-injury PG?

Spurtacular
11-04-2015, 12:27 PM
:lol Jordan's defense was mostly a non-factor in the playoffs..he got absolutely murdered by 38-year old Tim Duncan, too..

He's a good defender, but far from great, just like Davis..

Jordan altered more drives and shots than anyone the Spurs played; and it happened in the playoffs. Duncan got his numbers, but DJ was being used in a more comprehensive fashion than merely 1v1.

Spurtacular
11-04-2015, 12:30 PM
I know he's coming back from an injury and therefore should be given a pass, but is there anyone (other than maybe Kevin Durant:lol) who would still take Paul George over Kawhi? Even pre-injury PG?

Pre-injury George is a whole other question, tbh. Post-injury PG is frankly mediocre though.

HarlemHeat37
11-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Jordan altered more drives and shots than anyone the Spurs played; and it happened in the playoffs. Duncan got his numbers, but DJ was being used in a more comprehensive fashion than merely 1v1.

He really didn't, outside of game 1, which was the only game where he had a significant defensive impact..

Spurs' offense vs. the Clippers performed at the same level, statistically, as they did during the RS, which was top 5 in the league, despite Parker playing terribly and Green missing..

Spurtacular
11-04-2015, 12:42 PM
He really didn't, outside of game 1, which was the only game where he had a significant defensive impact..

Spurs' offense vs. the Clippers performed at the same level, statistically, as they did during the RS, which was top 5 in the league, despite Parker playing terribly and Green missing..

Spurs had to work that much harder on the offensive end; and their fatigue translated on the defensive end. In the four games the Clips won, DJ averaged 3 blocks per game and was a menacing force, imo.

BillMc
11-04-2015, 12:55 PM
I love the real modesty and class the Spurs show when they win or lose.

Agreed.

LittleCriminal
11-04-2015, 01:21 PM
Is it possible for kahwi to be The seasons MVP and the DPOY?

quentin_compson
11-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Kawhi has been an absoulte beast defensively so far. Really great to watch him doing work against the likes of Durant an Melo.

Obstructed_View
11-04-2015, 02:19 PM
I used to like the Warriors, but at times, they're acting like complete twats by over-celebrating every chance they get.

They definitely need to learn to stop feeding the trolls.

TheGreatYacht
11-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Bump

spursistan
11-11-2015, 11:09 AM

Wrecking it on D while being 1st scoring option on O :wow..

YGWHI
11-11-2015, 11:13 AM
:flag: