PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio International Airport's Future Terminal. One Of Two To Be Built.

TheWriter
09-17-2005, 06:31 PM
San Antonio International Airport recently began construction on expansion. This will include razing terminal II. Then building a new terminal in its place (pictured below). Then a 5 story parking garage will be built across from this new terminal that will be connected via skybridge.

After that, the gap between terminal I and the new terminal will be filled by terminal III. Those renderings have yet to be released.

Future Terminal:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/TexasGuy286/Construction%20Pics/SATairport6.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/TexasGuy286/Construction%20Pics/SATairport5.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/TexasGuy286/Construction%20Pics/SATairport4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/TexasGuy286/Construction%20Pics/SATairport3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/TexasGuy286/Construction%20Pics/SATairport2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/TexasGuy286/Construction%20Pics/SATairport1.jpg

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0830/4915793_400X300.jpg

T Park
09-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Looks almost identical to the airport in Sacramento.

Solid D
09-18-2005, 01:08 AM
What is the anticipated date (mo/yr) of completion of the new Terminal and Parking Garage?

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-18-2005, 01:08 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/TexasGuy286/Construction%20Pics/SATairport3.jpg

Chick on the right...I'd hit it.

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 01:10 AM
What is the anticipated date (mo/yr) of completion of the new Terminal and Parking Garage?

Which will also be the completion year for the 281/410 interchange.

So that area will look very different in three years.

atlfan25
09-18-2005, 01:17 AM
Those renderings go hard.

Vashner
09-18-2005, 01:57 AM
What a waste of money.....

timvp
09-18-2005, 01:58 AM
Looks like a standard airport terminal to me.

Vashner
09-18-2005, 02:03 AM
The only time our existing terminals are full is during holiday...

So we are going to make them even bigger now to be even more empty on normal days...

They just needed to fix that rat maze of a security checkpoint to make that faster..

Not tear down and almost new building.. it's a pork project...

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 02:07 AM
The only time our existing terminals are full is during holiday...

So we are going to make them even bigger now to be even more empty on normal days...

They just needed to fix that rat maze of a security checkpoint to make that faster..

I guess you didn't hear, San Antonio made a national list of airports that were in need for expansion because they were near capacity.

Not only that, but in the past few months, seven new "non-stop" flights have been added.

Also, rumor is San Antonio International Airport will add JetBlue within the year.

Take your "waste of money" bullshit elsewhere

Solid D
09-18-2005, 02:10 AM

The Writer stated that they are going to be razing Terminal II, which is the oldest terminal out there...the one where American Airlines, Continental and America West have their gates.

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 02:12 AM
The Writer stated that they are going to be razing Terminal II, which is the oldest terminal out there...the one where American Airlines, Continental and America West have their gates.

Yes, terminal two (ironic seeing how it was the first built) will be torn down, then a new terminal, the one I posted, will be built along with a parking garage. After that, the gap between terminal I and the new terminal will be filled with a new terminal.

Vashner
09-18-2005, 02:12 AM
They could of done other things besides tear down the new terminal. I fly a lot so don't try to lie and say it's not big enough... the only thing that normally takes a while is the checkpoint. There would of been ways to spend money to make it better without tearing it down.

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 02:15 AM
They could of done other things besides tear down the new terminal. I fly a lot so don't try to lie and say it's not big enough... the only thing that normally takes a while is the checkpoint. There would of been ways to spend money to make it better without tearing it down.

So if a airport is reaching its capacity, it should try to expand? It should just renovate? What kind of nonsensical mud crap is that?

davi78239
09-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Why can't they just build a huge airport between here and Austin with International to Europe, China, ect.......like they do in other big cities?

ChumpDumper
09-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Looks like the HEB on I-35 and Parmer.

At any rate it's nice that SA set aside enough land initially that we don't have to look into moving the airport anytime soon (but imagine how much the land is worth now).

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Why can't they just build a huge airport between here and Austin with International to Europe, China, ect.......like they do in other big cities?

Because the politicians from SA and Austin would lose one of their big pork barrel projects.

Mr. Ash
09-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Also, rumor is San Antonio International Airport will add JetBlue within the year.

I'd be shocked. There is almost zero route overlap between JetBlue and SW right now (or at least there wasn't five months ago when I checked) - I'd be really surprised to see them moving into each other's little direct flight territories just when Delta files for C11. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see JetBlue here. I love the airline and how they run their business.

ChumpDumper
09-18-2005, 03:02 PM
I'd be shocked. There is almost zero route overlap between JetBlue and SW right now (or at least there wasn't five months ago when I checked) - I'd be really surprised to see them moving into each other's little direct flight territories just when Delta files for C11. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see JetBlue here. I love the airline and how they run their business.Wouldn't JetBlue be flying places SW doesn't fly to -- particular airports if not markets? I would assume JetBlue flights from SA would go to one or more of Long Beach, JFK and Dulles -- three airports that SW does not currently fly to.

I would absolutely love nonstops to those places, JetBlue gets a huge :tu.

HB22inSA
09-18-2005, 03:15 PM
I think San Antonio needs to spend what little money it has on more important things--like Fiesta (I've never been in my 11 years here, and I will dedicate my life to never going), river parades, and opening "way-too-expensive-shopping-malls" near LaCantera.

Screw the roads, budget, and oh yeah, the educational system--which is the worst I've ever seen in my Life.

Vashner
09-18-2005, 03:37 PM
What no fiesta? Man even a tightass like me goes to fiesta...

I had no objection other than the demolition of the new terminal.. Ok so I am attached to it.. sue me.

ChumpDumper
09-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Isn't Terminal Two the single-level one? I can see why they might want to start over.

Vashner
09-18-2005, 03:44 PM
We just spent millions of taxpayer bucks on it.. they can add on and build around it..

This is like the toll roads.. come in. bulldoze existing roads and charge residents an estimated 1600-1800 dollars a year to drive on it...

Ok someone correct me if I am wrong. But on KSAT news they said the newly build stuff was coming down too..

That includes some nice tile artwork.. new mall like stores .. etc.

ChumpDumper
09-18-2005, 03:53 PM
they can add on and build around it..That might actually cost more. Burbank had a similar issue and ended up changing the enitire location of the terminal.
This is like the toll roads.I agree toll roads are a complete scam.

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Screw the roads, budget, and oh yeah, the educational system--which is the worst I've ever seen in my Life.

Might wanna ask the folks from New Orleans if San Antonio has a bad school system.

And please, Northside and North East are shitty school systems?

Please.

They're the two largest school districts in San Antonio.

Crappy school districts are SAISD, Edgewood ISD, and South San ISD.

East Central is also very nice.

And you do know, mr. smartass, that the city can't do jack about the school system.

MannyIsGod
09-18-2005, 05:34 PM
:lol

I seem to remember a thread where the person above who is now saying the city can't do shit about the school system was arguing with me that they could.

How about you, Mark? Do you remember that?

ZStomp
09-18-2005, 05:37 PM
I guess you didn't hear, San Antonio made a national list of airports that were in need for expansion because they were near capacity.

Not only that, but in the past few months, seven new "non-stop" flights have been added.

Take your "waste of money" bullshit elsewhere

Settle down man..why do you get all offended when someone says something bad about SA or remotely close to it...dayum!

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 05:41 PM

I seem to remember a thread where the person above who is now saying the city can't do shit about the school system was arguing with me that they could.

How about you, Mark? Do you remember that?

Would that be me? Would that mean I learned something?

Yayyy for me!

MannyIsGod
09-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Would that be me? Would that mean I learned something?

Yayyy for me!
Then maybe a touch of humility when you post on the subject intead of calling people names would be more apropriate?

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Then maybe a touch of humility when you post on the subject intead of calling people names would be more apropriate?

Who did I call a name Manny?

ZStomp
09-18-2005, 05:44 PM

Just don't say anything about SA or you'll get the wrath of Buddy Holly!

MannyIsGod
09-18-2005, 05:44 PM
And you do know, mr. smartass, that the city can't do jack about the school system.

Do you suffer from severe ADD?

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Do you suffer from severe ADD?

That's "name calling?"

Geeze Manny, when'd ya get all girly and sensitive?

ZStomp

TheWriter
Just don't say anything about SA or you'll get the wrath of Buddy Holly!

Buddy Holly only wishes he could be as cool as TheWriter.

Buddy Holly
09-18-2005, 05:47 PM
You wish friend.

MannyIsGod
09-18-2005, 05:47 PM
That's "name calling?"

Geeze Manny, when'd ya get all girly and sensitive?
The day you became informed and intelligent. Oh wait, neither has happend yet.

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 05:48 PM
The day you became informed and intelligent. Oh wait, neither has happend yet.

So then when exactly did you become all girly and sensitive?

MannyIsGod
09-18-2005, 05:51 PM
All I'm saying, is that you have no room to lecture other people on shit you just got lectured on. If that makes me girly and sensitive, then I guess thats what I am.

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 05:53 PM
All I'm saying, is that you have no room to lecture other people on shit you just got lectured on. If that makes me girly and sensitive, then I guess thats what I am.

I just got lectured the same thing? By just do you mean like a year ago?

GrandeDavid
09-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Thatīs sweet news from me as a business traveler who will pass through that terminal at least a half dozen times per year. Looks pretty nice.

boutons
09-18-2005, 06:08 PM
here's SA gov's slide show (needs IE, I think the frames are busted for FireFox)

http://www.sanantonio.gov/publicworks/pubart/AIRP/Terminal%20Call%20for%20Artists_files/frame.htm

HB22inSA
09-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Might wanna ask the folks from New Orleans if San Antonio has a bad school system.

And please, Northside and North East are shitty school systems?

Please.

They're the two largest school districts in San Antonio.

Crappy school districts are SAISD, Edgewood ISD, and South San ISD.

East Central is also very nice.

Okay, TheWriter, so now you're comparing the worst against the worst?

I love your passion for your city, but you remind me of that parent who thinks that their child can do no wrong, and has no flaws, when in reality it's just the opposite.

I intentionally stay away from politics and religion, but I know enough about both to form intelligent opinions and I try to state as many facts as I can.

But to say the city can't do anything about the school system is the same type of ignorance that got the system where it is today.

And you're probably right, the schools may be too far gone for anyone to save them. As long as we continue to spend millions on upgrading the football stadiums in this town instead of spending it on the kids themselves, then I can't blame the kids for lacking an education.

tw05baller
09-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Wasn jet blue the airline that earlier this year gave out ipods and portable dvd players

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Okay, TheWriter, so now you're comparing the worst against the worst?

I love your passion for your city, but you remind me of that parent who thinks that their child can do no wrong, and has no flaws, when in reality it's just the opposite.

I intentionally stay away from politics and religion, but I know enough about both to form intelligent opinions and I try to state as many facts as I can.

But to say the city can't do anything about the school system is the same type of ignorance that got the system where it is today.

And you're probably right, the schools may be too far gone for anyone to save them. As long as we continue to spend millions on upgrading the football stadiums in this town instead of spending it on the kids themselves, then I can't blame the kids for lacking an education.

I'm comparing the worst to the worst?

Guy, North side ISD and Northeast ISD are some damn fine school districts. East Central ISD is also a damn fine district. Esp. for being the two biggest school districts in San Antonio.

Again, the poorer areas (surprise surprise!) are the ones with the worse off schools.

But to say as a whole that all 15 independent school districts in Bexar County are poor and some of worst is just foolish.

And no, local government can't step in and do anything because local government has no power over things that are state, ie schools.

Which is why schools have bonds every so and so years. Those raise the taxes that residents in those school districts pay and then in turn creates money for the district and its schools.

You have a long way to go Daniel son.

TheWriter
09-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Wasn jet blue the airline that earlier this year gave out ipods and portable dvd players

Jetblue is bad ass.