PDA

View Full Version : PTR: Spurs lack of wing depth; Anderson

SpursBig3s
11-04-2015, 01:05 AM
Interesting take

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/11/3/9666990/spurs-lack-wing-depth-kyle-anderson

LakerHater
11-04-2015, 01:09 AM
Bingo!
I jus said that in another thread!

Kyle is done here! Spurs Miss Belli & it'll show down the stretch!

dabom
11-04-2015, 01:12 AM
Everything I said. Has nothing to do with anyone else but my own evaluation. :lol

SpursBig3s
11-04-2015, 01:17 AM
Idk if Anderson is done, it's just 4 games into his 2nd year. Cojo was pretty awful at this time to. It's too early to tell in my opinion, but you're absolutely right that the Spurs definitely miss Belinelli.

Butler could be a serviceable 4th wing, would he not?

dabom
11-04-2015, 01:19 AM
KA is an NBA player. Just not with the Spurs long term. He'll get his minutes because we don't have any other option at this time.

Spurtacular
11-04-2015, 01:21 AM
What? Rasual fucking Butler's not stepping up in his stead?

dabom
11-04-2015, 01:23 AM
What? Rasual fucking Butler's not stepping up in his stead?

Got picked over jimmy. :lmao

Spurtacular
11-04-2015, 01:27 AM
I'm gay

Jimmer would be reigning threes if the Spurs had the balls to not go with a 37 year old statue.

dabom
11-04-2015, 01:28 AM
Jimmer would be reigning threes if the Spurs had the balls to not go with a 37 year old statue.

Let it out. :wakeup

Even if I don't agree with you. :downspin:

Brian Windhorst
11-04-2015, 01:29 AM
Wow that was fucking retarded. Who do we miss most? Any answer but Splitter is literally autistic. Any 2nd choice but Baynes (given the fact that we have 2 capable C's on the roster) is Asperger's tier. Belinelli and CoJo can fight for 3rd.

The rest of the analysis was based on the fact that they let Manu play the fourth game of the season and that Anderson screwed up a play and got pulled. I stopped reading tbh.

He's a fine backup 3, considering that Kawhi is going to play 37+ minutes in important games. He's currently useless as a spotup threat, but once he has more chemistry with Manu/Patty and they're more comfortable letting him handle the ball it will be fine.

And he's going to be a 4 in the league anyways.

And Butler has been acceptable.

What a retarded article. Literally our only problems have been continuity and the lack of a viable third C.

dabom
11-04-2015, 01:33 AM
Wow that was fucking retarded. Who do we miss most? Any answer but Splitter is literally autistic. Any 2nd choice but Baynes (given the fact that we have 2 capable C's on the roster) is Asperger's tier. Belinelli and CoJo can fight for 3rd.

The rest of the analysis was based on the fact that they let Manu play the fourth game of the season and that Anderson screwed up a play and got pulled. I stopped reading tbh.

He's a fine backup 3, considering that Kawhi is going to play 37+ minutes in important games. He's currently useless as a spotup threat, but once he has more chemistry with Manu/Patty and they're more comfortable letting him handle the ball it will be fine.

What a retarded article. Literally our only problems have been continuity and the lack of a viable third C.

Take off the stupid goggles. KA has been a scrub. Will continue to be a scrub. Nothing in his arsenal is going to make him shoot faster or play defense better.

DeRozan m8
11-04-2015, 01:37 AM
My mate got to watch him play for the first time the other day.
Was lolling at how slow he was

SAGirl
11-04-2015, 01:38 AM

Agree with you fully.
Cliff jumping after 4 games per par...
Michael Erler is one of the worst writers there. He has a nice sense of humor but his opinions on basketball are always very one sided, and he has been against Anderson since before Summer League, dismissing when he plays well and overstating his shortcomings at this point in his career. hes a Chicken Little type TBH.

SpursBig3s
11-04-2015, 01:41 AM

To each his own. I do agree that not having a true backup C for Timmy is an issue (considering LMA's disdain for the position, even though he has been playing it:lol). But to say we don't miss Belinelli is ridiculous. And i'm not saying Anderson is done, its just 4 games into his 2nd year, and he hardly played at all last year. But wing depth is also an issue.

Isn't Roy Hibbert on a 1yr deal/last year of his contract? That would be a great route to consider if Timmy is here next year. He'd be a helluva backup C, although most likely no chance in hell he accepts a backup role

Brian Windhorst
11-04-2015, 01:56 AM
But to say we don't miss Belinelli is ridiculous.

Look at Marco Belinelli's stats last year. Then look at Gary Neal's stats his last year with the Spurs. There are probably 30+ tiny salary guys that could give us that offensive production, with no defense, in 22 MPG if we signed them tomorrow.

Brian Windhorst
11-04-2015, 01:56 AM
Take off the stupid goggles. KA has been a scrub. Will continue to be a scrub. Nothing in his arsenal is going to make him shoot faster or play defense better.

:lol yeah dude for sure

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-04-2015, 01:57 AM
Thought it was a pretty terrible article. KA's been bad, but I don't think they expect him to have impact this season. The fact Pop has him on a short leash is a positive, not a negative, for his case. They'll be picking his options and expect more of him in his 3rd and 4th years, just like with CoJo. He's just been given a chance to earn the 4th wing spot, which seems like a huge problem for the Spurs right now and isn't doing too well admittedly.

If neither wing steps up the Spurs would have to look for a veteran to trade for at the deadline. Pop can run a 3 man bigs rotation come playoff time, but it'd be difficult to run a 3 wing one as well, especially when some small ball is expected too.

Brian Windhorst
11-04-2015, 01:58 AM
Hell, Patty could play the 2 full time and immediately give us what Marco gave us and more.

DJR210
11-04-2015, 02:07 AM
Wow, called him out for his stupidity on the screwed up hammer.. My gf is a banker here in SA, and he went in for something on his account, and she told me he wasn't very bright. Knew nothing about even basic money management, and was clearly unable to hold an adult conversation about his finances :lol Morons who are scared to do anything w/ the ball aren't going to amount to shit in this system.

SAGirl
11-04-2015, 02:16 AM
Hell, Patty could play the 2 full time and immediately give us what Marco gave us and more.
And you could play Ray... but you know why its not happening, bc no matter who else was out there, Pop was playing a tight rotation in this game bc its the main guys who needed to get their act together first, since they have chemistry issues and were making a lot of mistakes themselves in the first 3 games and even this game they were messing up TBH.

After they are on top of their games then you can work other guys in. Kawhi and Danny are young and can play a lot of minutes. You only need 10-12 minutes at the wing at most and Kyle or Butler can give you that. Even McCallum in certain matchups can give you that. To be honest these games have been close and its not on the 4th wing to blame.

I think the lack of a backup center and the issue with Timmy playing 35 minutes in a B2B would be a more exciting topic if you wanted to panic. To me Erler is trash TBH.

steeledl
11-04-2015, 02:17 AM
Been saying this. It is a serious problem.... we have to figure out how to add a wing who can contribute or Green and Leonard are going to have to play 40 minutes a night in a grueling Western Conference come playoff time.

Im hoping the front office has a plan come trade deadline when teams start to dump players. It would be a shame to waste one of Duncans last years by rolling out terrible Kyle Anderson and Ginobili who usually has nothing left come playoff time.

Time for Pop to start giving Simmons minutes and hope he developes at an extraordinary rate.

steeledl
11-04-2015, 02:19 AM

Holy shit..... you know how to homer.

SAGirl
11-04-2015, 02:20 AM
Wow, called him out for his stupidity on the screwed up hammer.. My gf is a banker here in SA, and he went in for something on his account, and she told me he wasn't very bright. Knew nothing about even basic money management, and was clearly unable to hold an adult conversation about his finances :lol Morons who are scared to do anything w/ the ball aren't going to amount to shit in this system.
Who are you talking about there Erler or Anderson?
Anderson is 22 and seems like a bright kid in interviews. Obviously like a lot of Bball players he left college early and probably has someone to do his finances. That has nothing to do with basketball TBH.
If you meant Erler, possibly. He's a chicken little type, sky is falling. Real shitty basketball takes, he has a sarcastic tone in his writing that some people like, but TBH in terms of basketball, he's bad.

steeledl
11-04-2015, 02:21 AM
Agree with you fully.
Cliff jumping after 4 games per par...
Michael Erler is one of the worst writers there. He has a nice sense of humor but his opinions on basketball are always very one sided, and he has been against Anderson since before Summer League, dismissing when he plays well and overstating his shortcomings at this point in his career. hes a Chicken Little type TBH.

How did I know you would be in here on da knees? After over a year, it's clear he is a scrub. You should get a job writing if your basketball takes are so on point though. Good luck with that.

dabom
11-04-2015, 02:23 AM
How did I know you would be in here on da knees? After over a year, it's clear he is a scrub. You should get a job writing if your basketball takes are so on point though. Good luck with that.

Let them make they're point man. Reserve the jokes for other as such. :wakeup

DJR210
11-04-2015, 02:25 AM
Who are you talking about there Erler or Anderson?
Anderson is 22 and seems like a bright kid in interviews. Obviously like a lot of Bball players he left college early and probably has someone to do his finances. That has nothing to do with basketball TBH.
If you meant Erler, possibly. He's a chicken little type, sky is falling. Real shitty basketball takes, he has a sarcastic tone in his writing that some people like, but TBH in terms of basketball, he's bad.

Nah, Anderson. My gf talks to different people all day everyday, and what she got from him was he is dumb as shit

steeledl
11-04-2015, 02:28 AM
Let them make they're point man. Reserve the jokes for other as such. :wakeup

Every point she makes is "he has the skills to contribute once he gets more confidence and developes.... yada yada... ." But it's completely opposite to anything he has shown on an NBA floor. He has shown no promise.He is not even good for being 22. Some people are just blind homers I guess.

steeledl
11-04-2015, 02:30 AM
Nah, Anderson. My gf talks to different people all day everyday, and what she got from him was he is dumb as shit

How can someone be dumb with a basketball sized head?

SAGirl
11-04-2015, 02:44 AM
He hasn't looked it from interviews I have seen of him TBH. Leonard is more awkward and slow TBH. Also called by Pop a very smart player. lol
Finances have nothing to do with basketball, so yea, thanks for that little story but not buying it.

Obstructed_View
11-04-2015, 02:47 AM
PTR's next article: Why Tony Parker is fat.

dabom
11-04-2015, 02:47 AM

Always late per par. :lmao

SAGirl
11-04-2015, 02:50 AM
Nah Tony played well last game.

The next hot takes are probably David West and Danny Green if he continues. Danny is sufficiently established in the rotation that his spot is not in danger, but he wasn't very good last game either, and guess what? He plays a much more significant role than Anderson and you need him more to play well.

From there on, you can really criticize everyone and TBH a whole lot of other players 1-9 have more of an impact than Kyle, so if our championship aspirations rest on Kyle, all I have to say is:

:lmao

Hoops Czar
11-04-2015, 02:52 AM
Thought it was a pretty terrible article. KA's been bad, but I don't think they expect him to have impact this season. The fact Pop has him on a short leash is a positive, not a negative, for his case. They'll be picking his options and expect more of him in his 3rd and 4th years, just like with CoJo. He's just been given a chance to earn the 4th wing spot, which seems like a huge problem for the Spurs right now and isn't doing too well admittedly.

If neither wing steps up the Spurs would have to look for a veteran to trade for at the deadline. Pop can run a 3 man bigs rotation come playoff time, but it'd be difficult to run a 3 wing one as well, especially when some small ball is expected too.

Then maybe Pop shouldn't have made him the backup 3 in just his second full season. Just maybe he should be in Austin where he can learn, develop and improve his craft so that he one day can become that competent backup wing the Spurs have been longing for. Though it's only been 4 games, he's been bad in limited minutes. That's reason enough to limit his playing time. Maybe it's something behind the scenes like practice that's hampering his court time. For Pop, if a player is not succeeding in practice, it's a good bet his playing time on the court will be short and sweet, if at all. I also haven't seen the in-game tongue lashings with KA that Pop openly doles out to teammates Danny Green and Tony Parker from time to time. It's anybody's guess as to why Pop isn't playing KA but it's a good bet that it has something to do with performance.

It's also interesting you bring up the trade deadline. Who the hell on this roster would you consider a tradeable asset? Keep in mind they're over the cap so they can't claim anyone off waivers to my knowledge.

SAGirl
11-04-2015, 02:59 AM
Then maybe Pop shouldn't have made him the backup 3 in just his second full season. Just maybe he should be in Austin where he can learn, develop and improve his craft so that he one day can become that competent backup wing the Spurs have been longing for. Though it's only been 4 games, he's been bad in limited minutes. That's reason enough to limit his playing time. Maybe it's something behind the scenes like practice that's hampering his court time. For Pop, if a player is not succeeding in practice, it's a good bet his playing time on the court will be short and sweet, if at all. I also haven't seen the in-game tongue lashings with KA that Pop openly doles out to teammates Danny Green and Tony Parker from time to time. It's anybody's guess as to why Pop isn't playing KA but it's a good bet that it has something to do with performance.

It's also interesting you bring up the trade deadline. Who the hell on this roster would you consider a tradeable asset? Keep in mind they're over the cap so they can't claim anyone off waivers to my knowledge.
He did give him a tongue lashing for screwing up the hammer play. But other than that, he has rarely played, and neither has David West. At this point Pop shortening the rotation has more to do with the other 8 having been playing games full of mistakes of their own, and frankly making messes of their own, except for Kawhi who has been exceptional. Pop needs to get these guys playing well, then he can figure out who he's going to weed in for backup minutes. David West and Kyle, but also even Boban and Butler. Its a young season and there have been too many changes in roles and big changes in personnel and guys were not playing well.

steeledl
11-04-2015, 03:00 AM
Who the hell on this roster would you consider a tradeable asset? Keep in mind they're over the cap so they can't claim anyone off waivers to my knowledge.

Eh, sometimes teams who aren't going to make the playoffs dump players mid season. Trade-able.... Anderson, any prospect, Mills if Ray Mac develops.... Bonner is an expiring contract (although its only 1.5 million). I just hope we can rent someone that just doesn't fit on whatever team.

aal04
11-04-2015, 03:03 AM
Belli, Splitter, CoJo all getting paid...

We cant compare them on their current salaries to what we had with them last year. We got great value out of them and they all contributed

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-04-2015, 03:13 AM

At this rate KA will end up back in Austin, he's just been given a chance to earn a role as a 4th wing and doing miserably right now. Don't see much of a problem.

As for the tradeable assets, there really aren't any, are there? Don't think the FO expected there'd be a need for a significant mid-season trade, but at the moment there are 2 glaring issues - 4th wing and the Diaw-West combo. Hopefully they'll work something out during the season, because if they need a significant trade they'd have to put Boris and Patty on the block.

SAGirl
11-04-2015, 03:20 AM
At this rate KA will end up back in Austin, he's just been given a chance to earn a role as a 4th wing and doing miserably right now. Don't see much of a problem.

As for the tradeable assets, there really aren't any, are there? Don't think the FO expected there'd be a need for a significant mid-season trade, but at the moment there are 2 glaring issues - 4th wing and the Diaw-West combo. Hopefully they'll work something out during the season, because if they need a significant trade they'd have to put Boris and Patty on the block.
I don't think anything you can get will replace what Boris and Patty give the team, who basically will carry the bench when Manu is resting. It is more likely that you can live with 10 minutes of Anderson and West, than give up Boris and Patty for someone who you know is not going to play much considering how Pop is with his sets and system and chemistry and gelling and all of that. Besides West chose to come here, Anderson is a player being developed. Austin his destiny may be but I think from now on is the tough road for him. He has already dominated D'league and Summer league. We will live with 10 minutes from him or he will be benched. That is why Butler and Ray are here too, so no need to panic.

tbdog
11-04-2015, 06:20 AM
Our wing depth is lacking is because Green hasn't turned up yet. The guy should be giving us low 30mins of good production and he isn't.

BillMc
11-04-2015, 06:50 AM
I can't speak about what happened at the bank, of course, but in the interviews I've seen Kyle has come across as sharp enough. The issues are 1) is he too much of a defensive liability and 2) is he of any use if he's not the primary play maker. Both those are still up for debate. SAGirl has a good point that he's not had much time on the court (in the regular season), but Pop surely sees him in practice. Also, with the mistakes others are making getting acclimated we haven't had the luxury of playing players who might not be productive. The fact that they picked up KA's contract is a good sign and some players develop slower (Corey Joseph is a primary example.) That said, this is Kyle's second year and the clock is definitely ticking.

I don't think we need to make a trade, and as others have said, we'd never get equal value back. And the idea of trading either Boris or Patty, two extremely valuable bench players, on good contracts, isn't even an option. Boris is a unique talent and we're lucky to have him, and Patty is our only capable 3 point shooter at the moment (in a team that needs more 3 point shooting). Of course, Green will come out of his slump at some point, but right now its Patty and Manu.

benefactor
11-04-2015, 06:56 AM
I never read these PTC articles. I usually just read through the thread and find out what I already knew...there's a shit take on the other side of that link.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-04-2015, 07:50 AM
I never read these PTC articles. I usually just read through the thread and find out what I already knew...there's a shit take on the other side of that link.

Yep. Very few sites where you can read quality NBA articles ( RIP Grantland :( )

Chinook
11-04-2015, 08:03 AM
if his not contributing, time for pop to bench him and tell him his starting spot is up for grabs....

Pop would be lying if he told him that.

apalisoc_9
11-04-2015, 08:26 AM
I think pop is treating green well enough this year. Considering the need to finsih top 3 in the west, the spurs cant afford to have a cold green. Thankfully, manu playing great. Once he starts making his 3 his mintues will go back to 30. The spurs typically start resting the big 3 more midseason to late..danny should get more minutes then

HarlemHeat37
11-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Every point she makes is "he has the skills to contribute once he gets more confidence and developes.... yada yada... ." But it's completely opposite to anything he has shown on an NBA floor. He has shown no promise.He is not even good for being 22. Some people are just blind homers I guess.

:lmao criticizing her takes and calling her a blind homer after all your "Parker will turn it around" takes, last year..smh..

HarlemHeat37
11-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Anyways, I've never been a fan of Anderson's game, but writing him off after a week is pretty ridiculous..not surprising coming from such a terrible source, though..

Mr. Body
11-04-2015, 08:52 AM

I find it hard to believe someone who chooses to sleep with you is a good judge of character.

HarlemHeat37
11-04-2015, 08:54 AM
I find it hard to believe someone who chooses to sleep with you is a good judge of character.

http://media.giphy.com/media/vV81KcJ9Eu15m/giphy.gif

DJR210
11-04-2015, 08:56 AM

Aww don't get asshurt because your precious Kyle Anderson is a bona fide moron :lol

TheDoctor
11-04-2015, 09:03 AM

And what if he was playing dumb to spend more time with your gf? NBA player, millionaire; you know, some of them feel powerful and think they can pull off everything.

DJR210
11-04-2015, 09:07 AM
And what if he was playing dumb to spend more time with your gf? NBA player, millionaire; you know, some of them feel powerful and think they can pull off everything.

I don't know.. Managing a savings account isn't exactly rocket science..

TheDoctor
11-04-2015, 09:24 AM
I don't know.. Managing a savings account isn't exactly rocket science..

That's what I talking about. Even the dumbest person can do that on his own.

Leonardpart6
11-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Your GF must be an expert at spotting dumb. Was she taken aback by Anderson's unwillingness to order the "The Heroes of the Conferderacy" personalized checks?

kaji157
11-04-2015, 09:53 AM
This will come down as who can make more of the open 3pt shoots they had. Anderson or Simmons, because Belinelli didnīt defend shit but he played because defenses respected his shoot and that is something.
So if they are smart, both end of the bench players will practice their shooting waiting for their chance.
Or they are both idiots.

TheDoctor
11-04-2015, 10:05 AM
...Or they are both idiots.

DJR210 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42671)'s GF said Kyle was dumb, so, we got inside info.

UNT Eagles 2016
11-04-2015, 10:13 AM
I've said it all along, and I'll say it again: Anderson is not an NBA-level player, and could probably get shut down by certain guys with footspeed that play pick-up games at the local duck pond. Play Rasual Butler... he's more than an adequate Belinelli replacement as he defends better.

YGWHI
11-04-2015, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't say it's a bad article but made too many assumptions after only four games.

Gladney to see you
11-04-2015, 11:17 AM
It is too early to tell about a lot of things, BUT if you are looking for something to write about...this wasn't a bad choice. It is just based on faulty data.

JeffDuncan
11-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Belinelli's time & shooting, so far.

Kings loss to the Clippers, 31:57 minutes, 9 pts, all from the arc (3 of 7).

Kings win at the Lakers (faggots), 22:12 minutes, 6 pts, one from the arc (1 of 5), one FG, one FT.

Kings loss to the Clippers, 28:04 minutes, 11 pts, 1 of 2 from the arc, 2 of 8 overall, 6 of 6 FT.

Kings loss to the Grizzlies, 24:56 minutes, 12 points, made 2 of 3 from the arc.

He's averaging 9.5 pts per game, and he's 7 of 17 from three. Playing mid-twenties in minutes per.

FYI

RD2191
11-04-2015, 11:29 AM
Pop needs to stick with rotations and stop dicking around. He needs to let KA develop in the NBA not the D League. Pop fucked with Cojo way too much which is why Cojo was somewhat underwhelming here in SA. He'd start him, bench him, bench him for Mills. Too much bullshit from Pop imo.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2015, 11:32 AM
Pop needs to stick with rotations and stop dicking around. He needs to let KA develop in the NBA not the D League. Pop fucked with Cojo way too much which is why Cojo was somewhat underwhelming here in SA. He'd start him, bench him, bench him for Mills. Too much bullshit from Pop imo.Player fan take.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-04-2015, 11:38 AM
This is just a bad take this article. Its not so much KA and Butler, its that LMA and West need to get acclimating to the system as well. West problem is right now is he is not in the shape needed to play in the Spurs system which is constant movement on both the offensive and defensive ends of the floor. He is literally gasping for air at times.

Spurs need to time to gel as a unit and this is month is prime for that as the Spurs have a relatively easy schedule. Manu rest will come, but cmon, its the 4TH GAME OF THE SEASON.

This is the reason I said keeping Butler was critical. It allows both KA and Simmons to develop more this system and still let Manu rest more.

Spurtacular
11-04-2015, 11:40 AM
butler can play decent defence

Lostwingman
11-04-2015, 12:28 PM

I hope you're not going to imply that Jimmer would have been any better of a defensive option.

RD2191
11-04-2015, 12:37 PM
I hope you're not going to imply that Jimmer would have been any better of a defensive option.

Well I wouldn't be surprised seeing as Spurtacular is a huge faggot.

Chinook
11-04-2015, 12:43 PM

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/2717600/spongebob-breaks-butt-o.gif

DJR210
11-04-2015, 12:44 PM
DJR210 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42671)'s GF said Kyle was dumb, so, we got inside info.

You heard it here first.

TEXICAN
11-04-2015, 12:48 PM
For some reason I thought this was barely the 2nd week of the season.. Is it March already man that was fast!

LaMarcus Bryant
11-04-2015, 01:46 PM
The answer is clearly to throw Simmons a bone and into the fire so he can acclimate to providing us solid minutes.
He has slashing ability.

11-04-2015, 01:48 PM
I think it was obvious last season and during the offseason that Anderson isn't an NBA player. Making room for Aldridge led the Spurs to have holes in the SF and C positions. SF wasn't too strong to begin with as the Spurs have lacked a true back up SF since probably Leonard and Sjax were on the same team.

Currently though the minutes distributions seem pretty good. Duncan and Parker are playing under 30 minutes, Ginobili is getting around 20 minutes, and Leonard and Aldridge are getting the highest minutes but they are still under 35 minutes per game. One injury though would completely derail the minute management plan. Really hope Butler and Mccollum step up and get more minutes before that happens.

BD24
11-04-2015, 01:52 PM
A shame we didn't trade up to get rondae Hollis Jefferson, he would fill the backup 3 role nicely. Is playing pretty well so far in Brooklyn

Chinook
11-04-2015, 01:56 PM
I think it was obvious last season and during the offseason that Anderson isn't an NBA player.

I have no idea what in this off-season gave the impression that Anderson couldn't hang. It sure wasn't he Summer League MVP or the fact that he was the best player in at least one pre-season game. Hell, people are crazy for even thinking he's been all that bad in the regular season. Pop's rotation isn't shortened because he doesn't trust Anderson and West. It's shortened so they top eight can build chemistry.

Lostwingman
11-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Frankly, not worried about KA yet. Let's see what he does once the team's chemistry on the bench actually forms.

cjw
11-04-2015, 02:34 PM
And you could play Ray...

Two man lineups of 1-2-3s having played 5+ minutes together, minutes played, and point differential per 48 minutes. A few things:

Against certain teams, you can get away playing two smaller guys - Parker and Mills looked okay together against the Knicks (numbers below look good too) and I'd be okay with McCallum running with one of them for stretches. This will be imperative to keep Manu fresh if Anderson isn't going to be useful.

Two worst lineups have been Mills-Anderson and Ginobili-Anderson, though likely overlap between these two so double counting. Very small sample size, but pretty telling that Kyle's been the black hole. Will be interesting to see how this plays out 15-20 games in.

Min

P48 +/-

Parker - Ginobili

Parker - Mills

Parker - Anderson

Ginobili - Butler

Ginobili - Green

Mills - Leonard

Ginobili - Leonard

Mills - Butler

Parker - Leonard

McCallum - Anderson

Mills - Green

McCallum - Butler

Green - Leonard

Parker - Green

Butler - Anderson

Mills - Ginobili

(1.7)

Ginobili - Anderson

(23.4)

Mills - Anderson

(51.3)

Chinook
11-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Two man lineups of 1-2-3s having played 5+ minutes together, minutes played, and point differential per 48 minutes. A few things:

Against certain teams, you can get away playing two smaller guys - Parker and Mills looked okay together against the Knicks (numbers below look good too) and I'd be okay with McCallum running with one of them for stretches. This will be imperative to keep Manu fresh if Anderson isn't going to be useful.

Two worst lineups have been Mills-Anderson and Ginobili-Anderson, though likely overlap between these two so double counting. Very small sample size, but pretty telling that Kyle's been the black hole. Will be interesting to see how this plays out 15-20 games in.

Min

P48 +/-

Parker - Ginobili

Parker - Mills

Parker - Anderson

Ginobili - Butler

Ginobili - Green

Mills - Leonard

Ginobili - Leonard

Mills - Butler

Parker - Leonard

McCallum - Anderson

Mills - Green

McCallum - Butler

Green - Leonard

Parker - Green

Butler - Anderson

Mills - Ginobili

(1.7)

Ginobili - Anderson

(23.4)

Mills - Anderson

(51.3)

Cool data, man. Obviously, sample size is an issue, but it's frankly amazing how bad Mills-Anderson has been, since you'd think that would actually be a decent pairing. It's also fascinating to see Parker/Manu do so well and see Green/Leonard be so mediocre.

steeledl
11-04-2015, 03:50 PM
:lmao criticizing her takes and calling her a blind homer after all your "Parker will turn it around" takes, last year..smh..

Literally didn't post on this board last year.

LaMarcus Bryant
11-04-2015, 04:02 PM
The answer is Simmons until he fails

SAGirl
11-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Cool data, man. Obviously, sample size is an issue, but it's frankly amazing how bad Mills-Anderson has been, since you'd think that would actually be a decent pairing. It's also fascinating to see Parker/Manu do so well and see Green/Leonard be so mediocre.
Extremely small sample considering Anderson hasn't really played but a possession here or there and has minutes in garbage time. Too soon for the other guys too. They are not all playing optimally at this point and should improve.
Manu may come crashing down in shooting % too unfortunately.
Small sample size that is likely to overvalue the busted hammer play between Mills and Anderson. Which goes too show its too early to claim the season is over like Erler. Just :lol

Raven
11-04-2015, 07:05 PM
we miss beli and now we're forced to be the far and away #1 D in the league :cry:cry:cry

sasaint
11-04-2015, 07:17 PM
This is just a bad take this article. Its not so much KA and Butler, its that LMA and West need to get acclimating to the system as well. West problem is right now is he is not in the shape needed to play in the Spurs system which is constant movement on both the offensive and defensive ends of the floor. He is literally gasping for air at times.

We have all seen how out of position and out of sync West has been for most of his time on the floor, but I haven't noticed his gasping for breath. That is a big concern especially considering the relatively small amount of court time he has seen. So much was made of his sacrificing the big salary to play for the Spurs that nobody has really focused on his conditioning or preparation. As a veteran of many years, he surely knew the Spurs' style (and expectations). His financial sacrifice seems like solid evidence of his commitment to winning, so why wouldn't he also reflect the same commitment in his preparation and conditioning? Also, in contrast to all of the media coverage of our recruitment of LMA, I heard next to nothing about our contact with DWest prior to his signing. The media made his signing seem almost like he pursued us in a vacuum. If you have any insight, I'd be interested. I have admired this guy's game and professionalism since he was a thorn in our side back in New Orleans - even in his declining years. To see him arrive out of shape seems very out of character.

Spurs need to time to gel as a unit and this is month is prime for that as the Spurs have a relatively easy schedule. Manu rest will come, but cmon, its the 4TH GAME OF THE SEASON.

Absolutely too early to draw ANY conclusions. I am not especially surprised to see Pop concentrate on developing the chemistry of the players he expects to be his main playoff rotation players. Once that develops, I suspect we will see him concentrate on getting some of the others into the mix.

This is the reason I said keeping Butler was critical. It allows both KA and Simmons to develop more this system and still let Manu rest more.

I don't know that this is Butler's role. Pop has not really used him at the 3 that much. But I hope the main guys develop some better chemistry quickly so that Pop can work on KA and Simmons (and McCallum, too) more than he has been able to thus far, given the need to better integrate more core players into the system.

cjw
11-04-2015, 08:25 PM

Thanks - some of us (in addition to you) have to contribute with more than the usual blabber.

Green being mediocre has to do partly with his shooting. Over the course of the season, those numbers should all tick upwards.

You'd think an Anderson / Mills lineup could allow Patty to get more open shots off the ball with Kyle creating.

Let's see where this all shakes out a month from now.

tholdren
11-04-2015, 08:45 PM
PtR is probably the biggest piece of shit writing since cry havoc. Terrible takes by a group who has obviously never played any type of organized sport.

steeledl
11-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Upside of this game was that Butler did play well in sparing minutes. Shot the ball and passed it well.

Hopefully Pop is starting to see what we have all noticed and giving up on the Kyle Anderson disaster.

TrainOfThought5
11-04-2015, 09:56 PM
Ras a gul Butler will be fine. Steady veteran play is all we need there.

tholdren
11-04-2015, 10:01 PM
Thanks - some of us (in addition to you) have to contribute with more than the usual blabber.

Green being mediocre has to do partly with his shooting. Over the course of the season, those numbers should all tick upwards.

You'd think an Anderson / Mills lineup could allow Patty to get more open shots off the ball with Kyle creating.

Let's see where this all shakes out a month from now.
silly data - starters with subs. what does that mean, our bench is good, who did these guys play against, who else was on the court... the list goes on

spurtech09
11-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Spurs need more 3pt shooters

UNT Eagles 2016
11-04-2015, 10:51 PM
Spurs need more 3pt shooters
I was disappointed that Butler shot a rainbow on an open corner 3. You've got to swish line drive that like a normal guy would.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Upside of this game was that Butler did play well in sparing minutes. Shot the ball and passed it well.

Hopefully Pop is starting to see what we have all noticed and giving up on the Kyle Anderson disaster.

They both played well yesterday. Wing is not the problem especially with the Spurs keeping Butler as an insurance policy. The problem is LMA and West acclimation to the Spurs system and Parker's transition into a pass first PG. Those were the reasons the Spurs lost yesterday and will continue to lose some close games against Playoff caliber team until each are fully acclimated.

cjw
11-05-2015, 02:02 PM
silly data - starters with subs. what does that mean, our bench is good, who did these guys play against, who else was on the court... the list goes on

Right, sample size sucks. But isn't all data suspect though as there are a bunch of factors at play that are hard to adjust for?

Even baseball, which has isolated events, has limitations to the data. You see all the time people talking about success / lack thereof against opposing pitchers. Who was hitting in front of them / behind them in the lineup? What was the game situation? How many pitches had the pitcher thrown? Etc.