PDA

View Full Version : FREE BOBAN

xellos88330
11-05-2015, 09:06 AM
that is all...

Actually it isn't. At this juncture, I would rather see Boban out there than West. Don't get me wrong, I love having West on the team, but if I wanted to put a big out there who seems lost, I would rather have one that can still affect the game just because of his size. I have seen in it the preseason and even in his one appearance in the regular season. It is still early in the season and this is not a meltdown, but rather a personal preference at this point. I can just see Boban being the better of the two choices as the Spurs are still lacking paint/post presence even with the addition of Aldridge. Boban is a bit raw for the NBA, but from early preseason to his first regular season game there was major improvement.

Thoughts????

Gagnrath
11-05-2015, 09:38 AM
In the off season and preseason everyone on earthen on commentators to fan of San Antonio here to just casual nba watchers around the world noted that a big combo of West and Diaw was seriously under-sized and lacked natural rim protection. It wasn't as expected that there would be issues with West picking up the offense but the spurs second unit offense has for years actually probably been purer on the player and ball movement + spacing than the first team. {out side of Neal/Patty pull up top of the arc 3s) . So between weak defense and West moving 3steps slow on offense because he's thinking about everything he doesn't look good.

To me the question becomes when does the offense click and become natural to him and when does pop stop having the tiny twins of Diaw and West on the floor at the same time against most teams.

The problem then becomes keeping Aldridge happy, He was promised only limited minutes at center. So how much time he is paired with Dias is limited. Except against shrubs and in garbage time you don't want him out there with other new player Bobon and him and West has the DUAL negativity of two new players and Aldridge at center. Any guesses as to why this is the way it has been or wise solutions short of inserting Bonnor with either as an experienced in system big because we all understand that laughter.

Yuixafun
11-05-2015, 09:50 AM
Put Manu in the starting line up.

Parker with the second unit... Feels like it would enhance both units.

Manu pick n roll pop with Lma.

Parker with Diaw, West is sorta like Duncan offense wise... And then Tony could hero ball all he wants.

It would be like how Kanter came off the bench for the Thunder to extend the offensive punch.

Gagnrath
11-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Does Parker have the ability to not become poutty Parker over getting benched?

The world wonders.

Russ
11-05-2015, 10:02 AM
If you miss Splitter, Boban is the only one who can at least partially replace him.

Over time, Boban can exceed Splitter -- he has a higher ceiling and can change the game in ways that Splitter couldn't.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-05-2015, 11:30 AM
I'd like to see Boban get a little run. Him on the floor with Diaw, Manu, Mills and Butler in a regular rotation could be fun to watch.

SPURt
11-05-2015, 12:36 PM
It was nice to see Bonner in street clothes yesterday in favor of the Bob. That's progress.

ceperez
11-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Boban hasn't played anything close to the number of games played in the NBA.

Big guys like him are also injury prone.

So we shouldn't rush to see him on the regular rotation.

I agree though that he makes a bigger impact than David West.

TimDunkem
11-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Mills, Manu, Diaw, West, and Boban is a lineup I'd like to see at least once.

Kawhitstorm
11-05-2015, 01:08 PM

He can't be any more injury prone than Shitter. Boban is in the same situation as Shitter when he came over from Europe & another washed up vet (McDyess) was taking his minutes. Now it's D-West taking Boban's minutes but hopefully Pop has learned his lesson from 2011.

kawhidoyoudothistome
11-05-2015, 02:31 PM
I think in time he will be inserted into the second unit. Like everyone says, his size can really muck up an offense or defense. Not putting too many minutes on his giant body would be ideal, but squeezing as many as you can with Manu/Diaw/West/??? can lead to busting games WIDE open...like the old bench used to do.

steeledl
11-05-2015, 03:22 PM
This is a moot point. He will not be a huge liability against Warriors, Clippers, and Thunder. He is slow as molasses.... they'd just go small and PnR us to death. Huge liability.

He can log some minutes in the regular season but it wont put us in any better position come playoff time.

lilbthebasedgod
11-05-2015, 03:26 PM
This is a moot point. He will not be a huge liability against Warriors, Clippers, and Thunder. He is slow as molasses.... they'd just go small and PnR us to death. Huge liability.

He can log some minutes in the regular season but it wont put us in any better position come playoff time.
west looks slow too. Boban isn't super fast, but he's a lot faster than I expected.

UNT Eagles 2016
11-05-2015, 03:28 PM
Boban, Diaw second unit bigs. West rides the pine until he decides to play defense. Gortat and Hilario wouldn't have been able to get easy 3 foot jump hooks all game against Boban.

JeffDuncan
11-05-2015, 03:33 PM
I will sign the petition.

FREE BOBAN!

He has not played enough to know how slow, or fast, he really is, when he gets comfortable playing with the team. Sometimes being slow is only being tentative. I have seen Boban run with the pack down the floor. He is not a fast break threat, but on the other hand, he doesn't get left behind.

On offense, he has a surprisingly quick spin move, going to the basket. That takes some foot speed.

bic50
11-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Not sure what the deal with boban is. Pop needs to play him.

xellos88330
11-06-2015, 09:06 AM

So we shouldn't rush to see him on the regular rotation.

I agree though that he makes a bigger impact than David West.

I am not saying to stick him in for 20 minutes a game yet, but 10 minutes seems reasonable.

xellos88330
11-06-2015, 09:09 AM

So far every single pnr that other teams have run at Boban (at least off the top of my head anyway) ended with a 2pt jump shot taken with Boban contesting it. I really do not think that Boban is slow by any means, but rather looks slow because it takes less movement for him to cover space. I was expecting him to be destroyed in the PnR the same way you were until I saw him in the preseason. The guy is a lot better and quicker than I had anticipated. If he was too slow for the NBA, I wouldn't be calling for him to get some time. :toast

spurtech09
11-06-2015, 04:37 PM
I would like to see more of Boban on the court

spurtech09
11-06-2015, 04:37 PM
I am not saying to stick him in for 20 minutes a game yet, but 10 minutes seems reasonable.+1

Kawhitstorm
11-06-2015, 04:50 PM

You are contradicting yourself. In any case, Boban isn't any more of a liability on PnR coverage than D-West & he is eons better at protecting the rim. The decision isn't hard if Boban can be a serviceable offensive player on a consistent basis.

BD24
11-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Free the BEAST :ihit

wildbill2u
11-06-2015, 06:43 PM
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

BD24
11-06-2015, 06:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb2zIR2rvRQ

daledondale
11-06-2015, 06:58 PM
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

YGWHI
11-07-2015, 11:05 PM
Only three minutes, garbage time but still...he ate alive Kamisky in that play :flag:

You can think Kawhi or Aldridge are the new Spurs favorite...nah. Boby all day!

SAGirl
11-07-2015, 11:12 PM
Love him TBH

MultiTroll
12-03-2015, 12:09 AM
What's the deal with all the "DNP coaches decision" for Boban?

Nathan89
12-03-2015, 12:18 AM

He sucks.

Spurs9
12-03-2015, 12:21 AM
Coaching staff wants to see how many different jackets Boban has made to his size tbqhimo

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-03-2015, 03:01 AM
Pop gave him a start at Denver. Team scored 6 pts in 6 minutes. He'll ride the bench a lot.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-03-2015, 09:34 PM
He's already gotten playing time faster than Baynes or Splitter. The way Pop has been with bigs in the past to start him and even play that pittance is virtually rushing him along this early in the season.

It's funny watching people shit themselves on how Pop handles bigs.

TrainOfThought5
12-04-2015, 12:48 AM
Man.... hes pretty bad. I was wrong about him

Nathan89
12-04-2015, 12:49 AM
Should try not sign people with no potential in the future.

MultiTroll
12-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Put him back in Pocky.

Or I'll come down to the floor and slap you silly.

Spurtacular
12-21-2015, 07:16 PM
Put Manu in the starting line up.

Parker with the second unit... Feels like it would enhance both units.

Manu pick n roll pop with Lma.

Parker with Diaw, West is sorta like Duncan offense wise... And then Tony could hero ball all he wants.

It would be like how Kanter came off the bench for the Thunder to extend the offensive punch.

Won't happen. Pop and Parker have a devil's pact.

MultiTroll
12-23-2015, 10:13 PM
Whats with this 3 minutes every 4th game stuff?

MultiTroll
12-28-2015, 11:13 PM
Congratulations coach.

MultiTroll
01-04-2016, 09:11 PM
0 minutes at Halftime vs Bucks.

wtf :pop:

MultiTroll
01-08-2016, 11:03 PM
0 minutes vs the Knicks. :lmao :pop:

MultiTroll
01-27-2016, 10:45 PM
vs Houston
13/10 in 17 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRD_gIoVOmY

GSH
01-28-2016, 12:45 AM
For a guy with hands as big as the steering wheel on your car, Boban sure misses the handle on the ball a lot. Sometimes he gets it back, but he loses a lot of loose balls and passes too.

He doesn't quite understand the pick and roll yet, apparently. Watching him stand out by the 3P line as a guy runs past him (maybe 3 ft. away) and then roll toward the basket, without any passing lane isn't fun. It would be a little bit comical, if I didn't like the guy so much. If he figures it out, he's going to be dangerous. I just wish I thought that was going to happen this season.

Boban is commanding so much attention around the basket. A few times, the defenders converged on him, and left a lane all the way to the rim for a layup. He needs to learn to draw his defender(s) away from the basket more, rather than always camping under the basket.

The Rockets were hammering the shit out of him in the paint. They did a pretty good job of denying him the ball, for a while. And when he did get the ball in the paint, they were all over him. He brought the ball down several times, and they mugged him for it. It looked like Tim was coaching him on the sideline during a timeout. When Boban came back on the floor, he was a different player. As long as he gets the ball and makes a quick move to the basket, without bringing it down, he's more than a handful.

There were times when three guys converged on him in the paint. He's a pretty good passer from what we've seen. But he's goin to have to look for it more often, instead of always trying to bull his way to the rim. Once he starts making the defense respect his passing, they won't be so quick to commit that much to him in the paint.

I still want to see Pop put him in against Howard, with instructions to be physical. I used to think he could get into Howard's head, but now I'm not sure Howard gives a shit. If nothing else, it would entertain me to see him try.

Spurtacular
01-28-2016, 02:06 AM
Even regular ST'ers routinely refer to Boban as merely "a third string center."

lilbthebasedgod
01-28-2016, 02:08 AM
Even regular ST'ers routinely refer to Boban as merely "a third string center."

Its what he is tho

Spurtacular
01-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Its what he is tho

Considering he's the only player who even identifies (himself) as a true center.....

UZER
01-28-2016, 09:11 AM
He's has too much euro big man in him right now. He needs to learn to bully ni66as in the paint. Guys are hanging all over him and he's trying to finesse it in. There's no excuse for a dude that big to keep getting knocked down by smaller guys. When crowded, he needs to pause, gather, create a little space, go up strong. The one play he made on Jones late where he brushed him off with the chicken wing and threw it down was great.

After he starts bullying, the finesse will help that much more as a change of pace to keep defenders off balance.

DarrinS
01-28-2016, 09:17 AM
He's has too much euro big man in him right now. He needs to learn to bully ni66as in the paint. Guys are having all over him and he's trying to finesse it in. There's no excuse for a dude that big to keep getting knocked down by smaller guys.

That's why he needs minutes.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
01-28-2016, 09:18 AM
He's has too much euro big man in him right now. He needs to learn to bully ni66as in the paint. Guys are having all over him and he's trying to finesse it in. There's no excuse for a dude that big to keep getting knocked down by smaller guys.

Boban is an enigma right now. Some games he does bully guys and dunks over them. Others, he tries to finesse it. But last night, the Rockets were doubling him every time down the court. My favorite play of last night was Boban's last bucket when Jones was jumping all over his back. You saw the other Boban, the one that knocks people out of the way like bowling pins. Boban needs to play like that more often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcyFP9n84bU

UZER
01-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Boban is an enigma right now. Some games he does bully guys and dunks over them. Others, he tries to finesse it. But last night, the Rockets were doubling him every time down the court. My favorite play of last night was Boban's last bucket when Jones was jumping all over his back. You saw the other Boban, the one that knocks people out of the way like bowling pins. Boban needs to play like that more often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcyFP9n84bU

Yeah, my phone sent my post before I finished my thoughts. I edited and mentioned that Jones play.

MultiTroll
02-19-2016, 12:48 AM
In the 5:20 Boban Marjanovic played in the 3rd quarter, the Spurs outscored the Clippers 21-10, shooting 7-of-10, per @ESPNStatsInfo
I guess asking Pop to match wits again with Doc Rivers was asking too much.

TheGreatYacht
02-19-2016, 12:54 AM
Lmao Poop

MultiTroll
02-25-2016, 12:38 AM
@ Kings
Up 20 8:43 left in the 4th and Zit puts Aldridge back in.
Boban has not played.

Budkin
02-25-2016, 12:42 AM
@ Kings
Up 20 8:43 left in the 4th and Zit puts Aldridge back in.
Boban has not played.

Pop: "It wouldn't be fair."

MultiTroll
02-25-2016, 01:49 PM
B2B @ Utah.
Timmy Duncar still coming off knee soreness.
Will Zit give Boban 20 minutes of run? :rolleyes

MultiTroll
03-08-2016, 10:40 PM
B2B @ TWolves.
Boban let out of his cage for 10 minutes by Messina.
8 boards.

look_at_g_shred
03-08-2016, 11:10 PM
lol