PDA

View Full Version : How long will pop continue giving the danny tony combo a go to close games?

kaji157
11-05-2015, 09:56 AM
So far we are 0-2 on games we were ahead and were finished by Danny Green and Tony Parker and 3-0 on games finished by the bald spot.

At the end of games we should always go to Tim or to Manu, and if possible a pick and roll involving both.

As of now is the play that most times finishes on a spurs score, either by one of them or by other teammate that is left open off the helper.

Tony had nothing to do with that, nor Kawhi lack of killer instinct or LMAīs who also didnīt have it.

Last minute plays are still on the Big two hands.

EDIT: As soon as Pop assumes this the better for the team. If he wants to sacrifice some wins going thru others so be it.

Chinook
11-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Manu was on the court to close last game.

Floyd Pacquiao
11-05-2015, 12:23 PM
My dream lineup to close games that POP will never play because he's too chicken shit Tony:

Manu
Green
Leonard
Aldridge/ Diaw
Duncan

ElNono
11-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Manu was there to close last night's game...

That said, the Parker-Green combo has certainly not worked well this season so far... and Pop will have to reassess if that's the best backcourt combo with the addition of LMA and Kawhi's increased role.

SupremeGuy
11-05-2015, 02:45 PM
TP has been alright, but I'd really like to see Manu at the point to close out games.

Chinook
11-05-2015, 02:49 PM
Manu was there to close last night's game...

That said, the Parker-Green combo has certainly not worked well this season so far... and Pop will have to reassess if that's the best backcourt combo with the addition of LMA and Kawhi's increased role.

Honestly, I feel that Green is slumping a bit defensively, even though he was fine enough on Wall last night. Green not playing elite defense and Parker not playing elite offense is a really bad combination. Green can (and definitely should) commit himself almost completely to D, which should improve his prospects. Parker probably won't be anything above a third option from now on, and he can't get into the paint well enough to give Green open looks.

I don't think role-players really work with this new mid-range offense. Green's threes aren't really coming within the flow of the offense right now. And Parker needs time to adjust to only attacking when he has mismatches. This change is clunky, and honestly, it might be untenable.

It might make sense to bench one of the two of them. Green's the most likely one for several reasons. He and Ginobili should form a good second unit, as Manu still plays a more open style, and the bench needs defense. The problem would be the other starting wing. Could see Anderson starting, as his game actually fits well with Leonard and Aldridge. But that puts more defensive pressure on Kawhi. That's probably the only option that would even have a chance or working, as Butler would just be a homeless man's Green, and Simmons isn't even ready for garbage time.

SAGirl
11-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Manu came in for the last 3 mins of the game, and at that point, the lead was completely gone, and the series of TO between Patty/Green had switched the momentum in the Wiz favor. West was horrible to start the 4th as well, bc he is so poor defending the rim, that not even Danny could make up for West's bad defense. I think Pop put Green in the 2nd unit in the second half precisely to bolster it defensively, but it was an experiment that didn't quite work out. They played poorly as a team, several guys made mistakes. The only one who worked out was Rasual, who played the 3 and 4 extremely well in his limited minutes.

I don't think you want to give Rasual more than 10 minutes a night though. Last season he played about 20-22 and he came crashing down after a hot start finishing with something like 30% shooting after the all star break and opening the door for Otto Porter to emerge as a factor for the Wiz. It was good for the Wiz, but it won't be good for us if Rasual comes crashing down on us and then you need Slow-Mo and he hasn't played much all season. Instead of going to Kyle (like the Wiz did in going more to Otto Porter) Pop is more likely to stick with Rasual and sink us. I think the key with Rasual is to keep his minutes managed. At 36, he's kind of in the same boat as all our other vets in the sense that you don't want to overplay him to preserve the quality of his play. Also, the bench plays a chaotic, super fast paced style which is not suitable for a lot of minutes for all the older guys.

Danny in this chaotic/frenzied bench is not or has not been ideal because with too wide a leash he has the potential to play out of control and make bad decisions. At the same time, the bench has been terrible defensively and not even Danny could fix that.

To close out games, there is a huge problem. Usually you don't want Danny there, because if the ball ends up in his hands, he's unable to create a shot from nothing out of thin air for himself or someone else and defenses to close out a game really get active. It has to be Manu for the time being, and when Manu is resting, we'll see what Pop comes up with.

I like Kyle with the starters for some minutes, because he really moves the ball and makes plays for others. The starters don't have enough of that. I rewatched the first quarter of the game today because I missed a lot of it yesterday doing chores at home, and Tim and Aldridge get in each other's way a lot. For the first maybe 7 minutes Tim would grab position on the left block, which prevented Aldridge to get to his spots. I had observed this in previous games before. I don't think the shots Aldridge is getting, so many jumpers from the top, are the shots that will help him get in a rhythm. Once he started off slowly and poorly, its too hard to change your groove in a game. Not defending Aldridge, just pointing out that his being off is in part a result of this team's starting unit being so out of whack.

DeRozan m8
11-05-2015, 05:31 PM
Its like we don't even have a back court at times tbh
Too many moments where both Green and Parker are useless on the floor.

Dannys struggle is becoming real, he needs to get out of this slump tbh, its at the point I expect his shot to miss : (

Hate to say it but anyone thinking Kyle is gonna be any sort of savior - what so ever - is delusional

From Downtown
11-05-2015, 05:43 PM
Manu needs to close with the ball in his hands
There's a 50% chance of him turning the ball over at this point,but we don't seem to be able to do anything anyway

DeRozan m8
11-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Man there's some chemistry issues with this team at the moment hey