PDA

View Full Version : Have we seen the end of candy innovation?

SpursforSix
11-05-2015, 12:09 PM
I can't remember the last time a new candy bar or candy came out that was very good. Lots of variations on a theme. A la Butterfinger Cups. Which are good.
Up through the 70's and 80's, it seemed like they were pushing the chocolate frontier with all new sorts of candy bars. Chunky, Marathon...Twix.

Have they run out of ideas?

The only new things I see now are all those Mexican candy things. God those are awful.

ChumpDumper
11-05-2015, 12:13 PM
It will take some marketing work, but Cool Ranch Dorito Twix is going to happen.

I. Hustle
11-05-2015, 12:23 PM
My favorite candy bar was Bar None. I don't think they make it anymore. That was some good stuff.

I don't really eat a lot of candy now though so I don't pay much attention. I don't see a lot of mainstream changes in the stores but I do see more of the "gourmet" chocolate bar then I did in the past.

SpursforSix
11-05-2015, 12:27 PM
My favorite candy bar was Bar None. I don't think they make it anymore. That was some good stuff.

I don't really eat a lot of candy now though so I don't pay much attention. I don't see a lot of mainstream changes in the stores but I do see more of the "gourmet" chocolate bar then I did in the past.

I remember that one but not sure if I had it much. I liked PB Max. I still eat a candy bar or two a week. Some of those gourmet bars are pretty good. I'll grab some kind of dark chocolate (no racist) bar once in a while. Some of those
combos with pepper or fruit are pretty good. But still not as satisfying as a "real" candy bar.

SpursforSix
11-05-2015, 12:28 PM
It will take some marketing work, but Cool Ranch Dorito Twix is going to happen.

I actually tried the Biscuits and Gravy Lays just to see how gross it was going to be. I'm ashamed to say that I liked it.

They've got it right though with the rolled up tortilla chips. Dorito Dynamitas and Takis.

Avante
11-05-2015, 01:11 PM
I started out with Baby Ruth, but that didn't last long
Then I got into M&M's, and Almond Joy, I couldn't go wrong
But, I needed a change, so I looked around
The next thing ya know I had me a...Mounds.
I was happy, I would say, then I discovered....Milkyway

SpursforSix
11-05-2015, 01:13 PM
I started out with Baby Ruth, but that didn't last long
Then I got into M&M's, and Almond Joy, I couldn't go wrong
But, I needed a change, so I looked around
The next thing ya know I had me a...Mounds.
I was happy, I would say, then I discovered....Milkyway

I don't really like the coconut ones.

What's the worst candy bar with chocolate?

Avante
11-05-2015, 01:19 PM
I don't really like the coconut ones.

What's the worst candy bar with chocolate?

A Heath, they suck!

Judy likes them so I stold one once, yuck~~~

SpursforSix
11-05-2015, 01:22 PM
A Heath, they suck!

Judy likes them so I stold one once, yuck~~~

LOL. I was having a hard time thinking of one. But Heath...yeah...I can see that.

TimDunkem
11-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Hershey's cookies & cream is my personal favorite.

I. Hustle
11-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Heath is one of the few candy bars that I like. I remember the first time I had one too. I was stationed in Saigon. During that time we did what we wanted without consequence. My buddy Shipwreck gave me a handful of candy bars. I looked over at Topside and asked him what the deal was because I noticed him stuffing some in his bag as well. Topside looked at me and said "Wetsuit, you have a lot to learn. We are kings here while on leave. You can have your pick of litter when it comes to she boys. You just wave one of these here chocolate bars at 'em and then snatch him up when he/she gets close."

I learned that day how my buddy Dave got the nickname Deep Six. Oh the times we had.

SpursforSix
11-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Heath is one of the few candy bars that I like. I remember the first time I had one too. I was stationed in Saigon. During that time we did what we wanted without consequence. My buddy Shipwreck gave me a handful of candy bars. I looked over at Topside and asked him what the deal was because I noticed him stuffing some in his bag as well. Topside looked at me and said "Wetsuit, you have a lot to learn. We are kings here while on leave. You can have your pick of litter when it comes to she boys. You just wave one of these here chocolate bars at 'em and then snatch him up when he/she gets close."

I learned that day how my buddy Dave got the nickname Deep Six. Oh the times we had.

:lol

You've stumbled upon your calling.

Mark in Austin
11-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Once I started reading labels and paying attention to what I ate all interest in candy bars vanished for the most part. Occasionally I'll crave a 3 musketeers or Milky Way Dark. But for the most part, If I want sweets I'll just eat some dark chocolate.

Spurminator
11-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Yep I'm pretty much exclusively Hershey's Dark at this point.

Unless you've got an Almond Joy. Still hard to resist those.

I. Hustle
11-05-2015, 02:50 PM
I like my chocolate like I like my women... without nuts.

SpursforSix
11-05-2015, 03:03 PM

what's the difference between a candy bar and a woman?

a candy bar doesn't scream when you stick a knife in it

bigzak25
11-06-2015, 12:04 AM

Yes sir, bar none was the best. They would have it in the vending machine at my high school in the beginning of the 90s. Damn shame Hershey fucked it up.

phyzik
11-06-2015, 02:30 AM
The last innovative Candy bar I can remember was/is Whatchamacallit from Hershey.

Havn't seen new shit since then. Havn't really been looking for candy bars for over 10 years though.

.G.
11-06-2015, 02:41 AM
Whatchamacallit

Thread
11-06-2015, 07:45 AM
It's difficult to find REALLY fresh candy.

baseline bum
11-06-2015, 08:48 AM
Sour Haribo Gold Bears are pretty badass for a new candy.

baseline bum
11-06-2015, 08:50 AM

No nuts, no glory

http://tmcd.simple.be/payday.jpg

mrsmaalox
11-06-2015, 10:14 AM
I've become pretty snobby about candy the last few years for that exact reason, the only thing I ever saw and instantly craved was the Peanut M&M's, everything else was (eh, maybe the occ Almond Joy) pretty unexciting. So I stuck with Ferrero Roche's only for a long time. But I started exploring more gourmet and specialty stuff which has been fun. I like the salt and chile added bars a lot. My absolute favorite right now is the dark chocolate Almond bark from Wiseman's up the road in Hico. But for very good, reasonably priced, easily accessible candy you guys won't go wrong with HEB's line in the blue bags that hang in the candy aisle; I've tried them all and when you compare what you get for the same price as 2 candy bars there's no reason to eat that dry boring checkout aisle crap.

mrsmaalox
11-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Here's a link to Wiseman House Chocolates in Hico http://www.wisemanhousechocolates.squarespace.com/shop-galapagos/

I've tried everything there, it's all wonderful. If you all have women to buy gifts for, I promise the truffles will make you a hero, especially the margarita flavored ones :) They ship FRESH and FAST. Or just go there if you like to take relaxing drives thru the Hill Country :)

MultiTroll
11-06-2015, 10:26 AM
I can't remember the last time a new candy bar
When i first turn to The Club i always read this as Eye of Candy innovation.
Disappointed. :lol

Buddy Mignon
11-06-2015, 02:49 PM
I'm some what of a candy snob. I'll go over to Sees about once a month and grab one of their milk chocolate bars. They always offer some samples of some other shit and I always pass.

I. Hustle
11-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Here's a link to Wiseman House Chocolates in Hico http://www.wisemanhousechocolates.squarespace.com/shop-galapagos/

I've tried everything there, it's all wonderful. If you all have women to buy gifts for, I promise the truffles will make you a hero, especially the margarita flavored ones :) They ship FRESH and FAST. Or just go there if you like to take relaxing drives thru the Hill Country :)

I'll probably snag some. I'm in the doghouse again LOL