PDA

View Full Version : Spurs early season turnover problem

TXstbobcat
11-05-2015, 02:41 PM
I know it's early in the season but the Spurs are averaging over 17 turnovers per game and are ranked 25th In the league. Spurs are also 27th in turnovers per possession. is it too early in the season to be concerned????

Mr Bones
11-05-2015, 02:44 PM
I think it is too early to judge. Pop is obviously trying to get Kawhi to be more aggressive on offense, and Kawhi is responding well. He still needs to improve as a passer-- he's averaging under 1 apg, which is never good for a guy who has such a high usage rate.

TXstbobcat
11-05-2015, 02:59 PM
I think it is too early to judge. Pop is obviously trying to get Kawhi to be more aggressive on offense, and Kawhi is responding well. He still needs to improve as a passer-- he's averaging under 1 apg, which is never good for a guy who has such a high usage rate.

Yeah I know it's too early to tell but that 21 turnover game last night was rough. Especially those 4th quarter turnovers.

dbestpro
11-05-2015, 03:12 PM
This is the one spot that will see some adjustment before season's end. A pass first PG will be brought in to replace McCallum.

cd98
11-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Turnovers are going to cost them some games, but they are inevitable when you have a bunch of new players and also because the Spurs are trying to turn Kawhi into a playmaker and he's going to cough the ball up as he learns how to do that.

TXstbobcat
11-05-2015, 03:57 PM
This is the one spot that will see some adjustment before season's end. A pass first PG will be brought in to replace McCallum.

are you thinking that the Spurs will look to grab a point guard who is bought out after the trade deadline?

bic50
11-05-2015, 03:59 PM
That game lastnight was eerily similar to the way the spurs were playing last season. I almost forget aldridge is even in the game. Hopefully we can really get aldridge going, he's way to talented to look average out there. he's an all star for a reason.

JeffDuncan
11-05-2015, 06:19 PM
That game lastnight was eerily similar to the way the spurs were playing last season. I almost forget aldridge is even in the game. Hopefully we can really get aldridge going, he's way to talented to look average out there. he's an all star for a reason.

Yes, it was like some of last season. "Beautiful" only if you're into landfills. The team's offensive performance is a serious issue.

Turnovers are absolutely a concern. Even this early in the season, 20 TOs a game should not be happening. That's a 1st or 2nd PREseason level of TOs.

The idea of Leonard needing to have more assists is silly. He is the team's primary scorer. He should be a playmaker for who, Green? Throw it back to Parker? Absurd.

Of course I'd like to see more back-and-forth between Leonard and Aldridge. That's where the team could use a lot more assists, from both of them.

If Leonard and Aldridge can't get together on what they're doing, the whole thing becomes a waste.

SAGirl
11-05-2015, 07:47 PM
He's been missing that is for sure. He doesn't look like himself at all. AT times he's a garbage man, and he for sure doesn't have it going on right now.

Kawhi 5-0
11-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Spurs tricked us with that first game against OKC. Though we lost, the offense was surprisingly smooth. The Washington game was godawful. Duncan's Jay Cutler pass to Kawhi (intercepted) really started it off. It was like the Spurs weren't taking this game seriously. We deserved to lose that game. Unfortunately, we can't afford to screw around this year as the West is already separating. To be fair, we've played 80% of our games on the road so far.

tholdren
11-05-2015, 08:47 PM
Yes, it was like some of last season. "Beautiful" only if you're into landfills. The team's offensive performance is a serious issue.

Turnovers are absolutely a concern. Even this early in the season, 20 TOs a game should not be happening. That's a 1st or 2nd PREseason level of TOs.

The idea of Leonard needing to have more assists is silly. He is the team's primary scorer. He should be a playmaker for who, Green? Throw it back to Parker? Absurd.

Of course I'd like to see more back-and-forth between Leonard and Aldridge. That's where the team could use a lot more assists, from both of them.

If Leonard and Aldridge can't get together on what they're doing, the whole thing becomes a waste.
The team offense blows because Leonard and his wack 21 foot jumpers

Proxy
11-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Pretty much the entire roster is adjusting to a new role, not just LMA and West, so I find comfort in understanding that. People are trying to force things. I'm sure there's a thin layer of anxiety among the team to make things work with all the hype. The roster is loaded with high IQ players though. They'll figure it out.

Russ
11-05-2015, 10:25 PM
The problem is they're not getting stops.

33 points in the 4th quarter by Boston, 36 points in the 4th by the Wiz.

Contrary to popular belief, turnovers have little or nothing to do with that (assuming they're not all fast break points).

SnakeBoy
11-05-2015, 10:28 PM
I know it's early but is it too early to stop the "I know it's early but..." threads?

FkLA
11-05-2015, 10:29 PM

Probably because Rique decided to go into hero mode like he has his whole career, including last season. Kawhi and LMA on his team and he thought it was his game to close. :lol

spurs10
11-05-2015, 10:52 PM
The problem is they're not getting stops.

33 points in the 4th quarter by Boston, 36 points in the 4th by the Wiz.

Contrary to popular belief, turnovers have little or nothing to do with that (assuming they're not all fast break points). I believe a lot of them, or enough of them, were fast break points

freetiago
11-05-2015, 10:57 PM
The problem is the Spurs don't have any good ballhandlers. Low turnover teams have elite ball handlers and playmakers like Curry/Paul. Spurs only have 2 playmakers on the team in Ginobili and Porker. Porker is done and Ginobili is limited in minutes but a high risk player anyway. That forces guys who don't protect the ball well to be forced to hold it and create.

Mr Bones
11-06-2015, 12:50 AM

It's not a matter of Kawhi becoming a big assist guy, but simply becoming a better decision maker with the ball in his hands when he's isolating down on the block. Pop has already alluded to this a few times in interviews, and understands it's a work in progress. It makes simple basketball sense that Kawhi shouldn't have significantly fewer assists than LMA and Tim.

Fireball
11-06-2015, 04:28 AM
The turnovers are a serious problem, but this will get better ... but not running back does have nothing to do with chemistry, so I want at least better transition D when you are throwing away the ball so often. And its just too funny watching LMA sprinting.

YGWHI
11-07-2015, 12:14 PM
He still needs to improve as a passer-- he's averaging under 1 apg, which is never good for a guy who has such a high usage rate.

One of the reason of his apg are low is because our shooters can't hit an ocean right now...very often in these first games he has found the open man. It's just a matter of time our guys get their rhythm back and his apg will increase.

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/11-05-2015/hkZE6S.gifhttp://cdn.makeagif.com/media/11-05-2015/zc1JRR.gif

Good find. :tu

YGWHI
11-07-2015, 12:19 PM
:lol

Nah...he's just a streaky shooter.

SAGirl
11-07-2015, 01:26 PM
So much for the argument that Danny is not getting as many open looks in this offense. He is getting good open looks, he just off.

TXstbobcat
11-07-2015, 01:43 PM
So much for the argument that Danny is not getting as many open looks in this offense. He is getting good open looks, he just off.

Its time for a Verde hot streak from beyond the arc.

spurraider21
11-07-2015, 01:52 PM
thats just Spinook