PDA

View Full Version : What The Spurs Have To Figure Out (10 Items)

Cloud786
11-08-2015, 01:36 AM
1. What four player lineup is most productive with Parker?
https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/nbaphfiles/images/2015/tony-parker-story-2.jpg
-I think it's time for Pop to stop treating Parker like a starter-caliber player and more like a rotation player. He throws him out there with his mad scientist experimental lineups and expects everything to be fine, but he can't do that anymore. He should still start and play 30 minutes, but because he's so ball dominant and the offense revolves around his decision making, I hope that he plays more with Manu, Green, Boris/West, and Duncan. I don't have any stats to back up that that lineup is efficient or super productive, but too many possessions he over-dribbles and takes away an opportunity from Kawhi or LMA. Hopefully when we peak in March and April, Kawhi and LMA have Mills to kick the ball out to out of the post, and Parker can continue his style of play with some other guys.

2. Kyle or Butler? Kyle's Long-Term Value?
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/001/608/565/hi-res-5228fa0fee9f9bc57ce5e8580574a764_crop_exact.jpg?w= 650&h=433&q=85
-Some people want to play whoever has the better matchup/lineup. Some people want to play whoever has the hotter hand. Before the season, I thought that Kyle was no doubt the backup 3, and that Butler was injury insurance, Bonner-like minutes eater, and emergency three point shooting if Kyle struggled too much from beyond the arc. But through six games, Pop has thrown out both. This is way too early, but if one of these guys is going to be part of the playoff rotation, they are going to need to decide which one it should be through the next two months. I've liked what I've seen from both of them, but at this point they are hurting each others chances to build chemistry with the core guys.

-Also, can someone convince me that Kyle is part of our long term plans? Kawhi is 24, entering his prime, and just received a max contract. He is the future/face of our franchise, and if I was Kyle, I'd want to leave as soon as possible for another opportunity to showcase my skills. I know we recently picked up his option, which is great, but other teams always like to overpay for Spurs products, and he's an interesting prospect at point forward. The only reason I see him staying is if he picks up Manu's minutes (after Manu retires) along with some at backup small forward, and gets paid his worth. Is this possible?

3. The Manu Conundrum
http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/manu_confused.jpg
-With the way Manu is playing right now, I really just want to put him in a cryogenic chamber until April. Can he keep this up? I know he's doing it in limited minutes, but like last year, he may regress down the stretch. Hopefully we sit him in every back to back from now on, and he stays fresh for the long run. I love that his three point shot is back, he doesn't seem to be turning it over as much, and overall he's playing extremely well. Even through rest, he should develop chemistry with West, and make help him feel less lost within the offense. If he demands to play in a back to back like last time, inactivate him and get Simmons or Bonner to cover.

4. Diaw vs West Predicament
http://nba.cdn.turner.com/nba/big/teams/spurs/2015/10/31/1446263957020-west-10-30.mp4-87741-8.576x324.jpg
-Who's the first big off the bench? Who plays more minutes? With Duncan and LMA getting theirs, at times it's going to leave an "odd man out" situation (especially in playoffs). West looked really great today, especially passing the ball, but Boris still has the edge in exploiting mismatches. To be clear, I'm not complaining, it's a good problem to have, especially consider Tim will sit some games, but playing them together is not a good idea defensively, and if you play them one at a time, one of Duncan or LMA is rested enough to re-enter the game. It'll be a fun situation to monitor and watch, and I'm excited to see how Pop solves this minor, minor issue.

5. Golden State is Coming (and Memphis is not)
http://friendlybounce.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/11/draymond-green-stephen-curry-nba-los-angeles-clippers-golden-state-warriors.jpg
-For those of you who don't fear the Warriors, you should. I thought that teams would play them hard as is the ritual on defending champions, but just like last year, these guys continue to toy with their competition on route to wire to wire blowout victories. What astounds me the most about them is how much they flow. They have ample talent, and even with it, they've maximized ball movement in their system. They don't miss shots, and Curry is playing like the best player in the world. Their bench keeps up the momentum and they win games in three quarters, sometimes in a half. At this point to beat them, we need perfection, and we are far from it. I feel sorry for those who think we can handle them, you're in for a living nightmare when we eventually clash.

6. Mills vs Parker Mini-Debate
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/external?url=http://content4.video.news.com.au/foxsports/prod/archive/2015/11/04/DVU_PATTY_MILLS_ADS.jpg&width=650&api_key=kq7wnrk4eun47vz9c5xuj3mc
-Not to pour gasoline on the Throlden vs Chinook plus minus battle, but my brother mentioned how much meaning a swing or differential counts in a sample size of a game. Today, Mills was +39, and Parker was -15, and while I attributed that to Parker playing Kemba and Hornets starters, and Mills playing SaiyLin and Hornets bench, he said that a 54 point swing speaks volumes. What do y'all think? I'm still a believer in Parker, and although I love Mills, he will always be a product of Ginobili for me, so I guess that makes me bias in gauging his talent. Fwiw, I don't care much about this stat, big sample size or small sample size, but it's just food for thought.

7. Defensive Woes
http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/41/77/31/8910456/7/premium_landscape.jpg
-I get it when someone cherry picks. I get it when we brick a long three which leads to a long rebound. What I don't get is how atrociously abysmal our transition defense has gotten on made baskets and simple rebounds. It can't be our poor athleticism, since that hasn't affected us all these years. I don't think it's the scheme, since crashing the offensive boards has never been a big part of the game plan. Why is this a concern, and how do we fix it?

-It's not the referees, it's us. Sometimes we foul way too much, and teams get into the penalty early in the quarter, which really slows the pace of the game down. And against teams with dribble drive penetrators like Houston and OKC, that can get really ugly really fast.

-Parker on Westbrook, Parker on Wall, and now Parker on Kemba. I've said before, even if Green isn't making his shots, I'd still have him out there for 30+ minutes guarding the other team's best perimeter threat. It's so frustrating watching other point guards beat Parker on the dribble and score when Green could be much more effective.

-Is it just me, or do the Spurs have trouble keeping leads? I don't think it has anything to do with taking the foot off the gas, we just give up big runs and have these inexplicable defensive hemorrhages at times that I haven't seen in years past.

8. The Motion-Iso
https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4221561/sbnation-share.0.png
https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2015/11/Screen-Shot-2015-11-05-at-11.37.55-AM.png&w=1484
-The title is an oxymoron, because at times we have no offensive identity. It looks like an ugly hybrid of over-passing and forced ball movement, combined with low post isolations here and there. I can't wait till the guys are fully synchronized on offense, and LMA and Kawhi get the ball with more clock and better spacing to work with.

-All offseason we were talking about how LMA could stop the bleeding when needed, and do you believe he has done so? I think he's done a pretty decent job so far.

-0-2 in clutch situations this year. Who do we go to? Kawhi or LMA? So far it looks like the plays are designed for LMA, but both times we fudged up, once leading in a Green prayer, and second ending up in two Kawhi shots. I'm waiting to see what happens when the plays are executed properly.

9. Free Throws
-How many cars does Pop have?

10. Do you miss Belli, Cojo, Baynes, Splitter?
-I miss Belli's shooting and Splitter's defense, but that's pretty much it. How have the Spurs fared in their absences?

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2015, 01:54 AM
Diaw vs. West isn't really a predicament, tbh..Diaw is clearly better and more important in any possible scenario, I don't really see any argument against it..

As for #8, Spurs' defense was ranked #2 in the league heading into tonight's game(small sample size vs. mostly shitty offenses, I know), it hasn't been an issue, yet..even tonight, you live with one of the most inefficient guards in NBA history making jump shots..obviously Parker is one of the worst defensive players in the league, I assume Pop is aware of this, but it's evident that he hasn't bothered making any adjustments, yet, nor does he care..Green and Leonard have barely defended PGs at any point, this season, which isn't usually the case in the playoffs..

There have been plenty of opportunities to hide Parker on shitty SGs(like PJ Hairston vs. Charlotte, for instance), but Pop has chosen not to, yet, for whatever reason..maybe he doesn't want to show his cards early on, maybe he wants Tony to get into the game more by having a defensive challenge, who knows..

YGWHI
11-08-2015, 02:08 AM
There have been plenty of opportunities to hide Parker on shitty SGs(like PJ Hairston vs. Charlotte, for instance), but Pop has chosen not to, yet, for whatever reason..maybe he doesn't want to show his cards early on, maybe he wants Tony to get into the game more by having a defensive challenge, who knows..

In the first game I thought the same thing about Pop didn't want to show his cards and put Parker on Westbrook...next games guarding JJack, Smart, and then on Wall...
Now I just think that is silly and cost us two games.

YGWHI
11-08-2015, 02:19 AM
I respect the Warriors but don't fear them tbh.

Unlike the Spurs, they were blessed with unbelievably great health last season and this season they don't have new keys to adapt to their offense. But we're still the toughest matchup in the league for them.

apalisoc_9
11-08-2015, 02:20 AM
Diaw is a a tier above west not just in terms of skillset and current play but more importantly fit. This should have been an easy read.

Vic Petro
11-08-2015, 02:36 AM
Nice contribution :tu

1. Disagree on this. Parker needs to start and play with Kawhi and LMA because those are the only guys he'll defer to. Take them off the court and TP will feel he needs to be the central offensive option, imo
2. Long term Kyle, but I agree that for this team this year Rasual may be a better fit. I think the Spurs still don't know what Kyle is. Eventually Manu will retire and someone will need to fill that playmaking role off the bench. Whether that can be Kyle is still TBD, but I'm sure PATFO hope it can
3. Manu is playing great and he's a rhythm player. You have to stick to the plan. 18-25 mins, rest on b2b
4. Matchups will dictate. Both will play
5. GS is a great team but the Spurs match up well. No other team has 2 defensive wings like Kawhi and Verde to throw at Curry and Klay
6. Mills is a terrific bench gunner. He's perfect where he is
7, 8, 9. It's too early to draw conclusions
10. Beli's shooting will definitely be missed

Johnny RIngo
11-08-2015, 03:18 AM
I think it's time for Pop to stop treating Parker like a starter-caliber player and more like a rotation player.

Never gonna happen. If last year's playoffs weren't enough to convince Pop to reduce Tony's role, nothing will. Pop continues to play Parker because he's trying to justify the $45 million extension he handed out to him. Spurs FO fucked up plain and simple.

SAGirl
11-08-2015, 04:15 AM
With the way the market is exploding right now for talent Kyle will bring great value for the first years of his rookie scale contract. He's still developing and getting a chance to show his game in the rotation for the first time. Kyle has played anything from the 2-4 position. His incredible versatility is a great asset. His ballhandling skill is solid enough for a SG and he has a mismatch every time. He's as tall/long as Batum. We don't know what he will be like in 2 years, but at that point Tim/Manu realistically will be retired. B4 then he will offer a tremendous value if he develops and if he explodes in production enough to generate interest from other teams, at that point he could be traded for a piece much like G.Hill, or he might be a part of the team's future. Either way it is in Spurs' interest to help him develop and be all that he can be.

Right now Rasual is a warranty in case Kyle's not coming through for us, but where you expect Rasual to decline, Kyle should only be getting better.. Therefore I expect Pop to coach him hard like all his young guys, but also give him opportunities.

DrSteffo
11-08-2015, 06:28 AM
Kyle Anderson is a bad defender and hopefully we will get better starters than him. He might be an ok backup for Kawhi but Butler seems more solid.

100%duncan
11-08-2015, 07:08 AM
2. Butler for this season if kyle keeps showing us nothing. The old guy is actually producing decently under limited mins.
4. It has been Diaw and will always be him, rightfully so.
6. Mills. It has been him since '14. Last year he one of the best spur in the Clips series. And he's not a product of Manu, he can shoot, and unlike Danny, he doesn't need a set-up. He was the highest ppg in the olympics.
7. Really? I thought if there was one thing that we should be happy about so far was our defense.
8. It's good we have LMA and Kawhi but still can shift to another game if need be.
10. Nope.

ceperez
11-08-2015, 07:36 AM
Kyle Anderson is a bad defender and hopefully we will get better starters than him. He might be an ok backup for Kawhi but Butler seems more solid.

KA primarily liability isn't his defense, it is his lack of a 3 point shot. He's got enough length to give players problems. Last game he blocked a 3 point shot when he supposedly was beaten.

Parker is a problem. Who knows if Pop is hoping to get him back into shape. But it is indeed just frustrating that the first team can't keep a lead.

daledondale
11-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the writeup.

I can't understand what people see in KA. The guy is trash. Can't shoot, very slow, not a good D neither. Just not a Spurs caliber player.

cjw
11-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the writeup.

I can't understand what people see in KA. The guy is trash. Can't shoot, very slow, not a good D neither. Just not a Spurs caliber player.

Agree on this defensively. The reason he's "versatile" enough to play the 2-3-4 is because he sucks at defending all of them. Offensively there have been flashes but not enough to warrant this praise. Some guys just don't have the athleticism to play in the league. No different than great college QBs not having "it" to play in the NFL. I see Kyle as more of Diaw's replacement than Manu's if he's around 3-5 years from now. He'll never be fast enough to play SG, but could bulk up.

Raven
11-08-2015, 10:05 AM
#7 is dumb.

All Mighty Janitor
11-08-2015, 12:09 PM
1: I don't think Parker should play with the bench at all. The starting unit need dribble penetration for kick outs to get the ball moving(something Kawhi isn't ready to do consistently) and, if the Hornets game is any indication, nothing should be changed about the bench unit.

2: I came into the season thinking it might be a good idea for Kyle to run the bench unit. I thought how he played in summer league( drawing fouls, hitting the mid-range) could carry over and that Manu would play off-ball. If Manu keeps this up there is no way that happens. And because Anderson isn't a 3 point shooter, I'd rather have Butler at this point at least until Kyle develops more.

3: I think Manu will be fine. We have more options on offence so, even if a major contributor got hurt, it won't get as bad as last year.

4: I like Diaw more than West in the second unit. West's jumper is money though, he a better rebounder, and comparable passer. He just not used to the system like Boris so he's automatically behind him.

5: Yeah, the Warriors are great and Curry is a monster. We are not ready to challenge them yet but we have the best pieces to challenge them when it all comes together.

6: Pretty much addressed in point #1. Either Parker is out of the rotation or he starts.

7: Yeah, it feels like we have been fouling more than last year. This is/was(?) one of the teams defensive principals. Other than that, maybe some transition D problems but nothing major. While Parker is a liability, we need him; it's as simple as that. You always want to improve but we're in a good spot.

8: I've talked about this be for the season started. We can play both ways but until Aldridge becomes more smooth in his decision making (to pass or shoot) we will look out-of sorts.

9: Not really worried about making free throws. I'm more worried about getting to the line. Kawhi isn't drawing them. Moving away from Parker and Duncan has hurt out free throw rate. Obviously Adding LMA helps but he has to get comfortable still. It should workout, but I expected more from Kawhi.

10: Production wise, the only thing I miss form the players that left is the chemistry. But we will be better for it so it doesn't bother me.

spursistan
11-08-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm all for resting Manu on every B2B, tbh..cant really risk it with him further fully knowing that this team is going to need him a la 2014 to have a chance at a ring..

our B2B set for the rest 2015: @NO/MEM, @DEN/ATL, Bucks/@MEM, LAL/@ATL, @Houston/Den..

Even as the team not gelled as yet, I could afford resting him in at least one game of each B2B above without compromising much my chance at W..

kaji157
11-08-2015, 01:10 PM
I also think that Mills is in part a Manu product, even RJ didnīt look quite as bad alongside Ginobili.

The problem is that it seems that the first unit doesnīt have enough spacing at times, and Mills would bring this.

Also it seems the damage Parker can do for the second unit if very limited if he is ordered to play off Ginobili, ala Mills, who manages some offenses but most of them start on Manu.

That said, Ginobiliīs PER to start the season must be out of chart.

Spurtacular
11-08-2015, 03:12 PM
People won't miss CoJo til Parker/Mills are out and we see Ray McCallum playing significant minutes.

Lostwingman
11-08-2015, 03:24 PM
People won't miss CoJo til Parker/Mills are out and we see Ray McCallum playing significant minutes.

Still mad that RayRay's got JimJam's roster spot?

ChumpDumper
11-08-2015, 03:25 PM
People won't miss CoJo til Parker/Mills are out and we see Ray McCallum playing significant minutes.Imagine how much worse it would have been with Jimmer there.

ceperez
11-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Imagine how much worse it would have been with Jimmer there.

Would make no difference. McCallum has barely played. I don't think he's even scored a point the entire season.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2015, 03:40 PM
He scored two. But he will play more as the season goes on.

Spurtacular
11-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Imagine how much worse it would have been with Jimmer there.

I imagine how much better, tbh.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2015, 04:03 PM
I imagine how much better, tbh.How would it be better based on how he played with the Spurs?

Spurtacular
11-08-2015, 05:08 PM
How would it be better based on how he played with the Spurs?

Why would I base it just on that? Is LMA an all-star based on how he played in the preseason?

ChumpDumper
11-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Why would I base it just on that? Is LMA an all-star based on how he played in the preseason?We certainly made judgments about how LMA would play with the Spurs based on his preseason play.

If you are afraid to answer, just say so and save the stonewalling.

Spurtacular
11-08-2015, 06:23 PM
We certainly made judgments about how LMA would play with the Spurs based on his preseason play.

If you are afraid to answer, just say so and save the stonewalling.

Afraid to answer? It's a flawed question. I thought Jimmer showed signs of fitting in well. I wouldn't have went with Rasual; but that's not to say that Rasual can't make some positive contributions.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Afraid to answer? It's a flawed question. I thought Jimmer showed signs of fitting in well. I wouldn't have went with Rasual; but that's not to say that Rasual can't make some positive contributions.What were Jimmer's signs of fitting in well?

Spurtacular
11-08-2015, 06:38 PM
What were Jimmer's signs of fitting in well?

His shot looked good. He spaced the floor well. His passing was good. He wasn't dribbling in the system with confidence yet. His defense was spotty at times; that was probably his undoing. He played with scrubs. He looked like a great compliment to players like Kawhi in his limited play with such players.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2015, 06:41 PM
His shot looked good. He spaced the floor well. His passing was good. He wasn't dribbling in the system with confidence yet. His defense was spotty at times; that was probably his undoing. He played with scrubs. He looked like a great compliment to players like Kawhi in his limited play with such players.OK. To me he looked like he had never played organized basketball in his life. He did nothing for himself or his teammates and no reason to continue with the experiment.

apalisoc_9
11-08-2015, 06:42 PM
His shot looked good. He spaced the floor well. His passing was good. He wasn't dribbling in the system with confidence yet. His defense was spotty at times; that was probably his undoing. He played with scrubs. He looked like a great compliment to players like Kawhi in his limited play with such players.

:lmao

Spurtacular
11-08-2015, 06:48 PM
OK. To me he looked like he had never played organized basketball in his life. He did nothing for himself or his teammates and no reason to continue with the experiment.

Uh huh.

Lostwingman
11-08-2015, 06:54 PM
What were Jimmer's signs of fitting in well?

His skillset of dribble dribble chuck is very similar to a skillset of dribble dribble drive.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Uh huh.Yep, the Spurs didn't even want him in Austin.

random21
11-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Excellent set of questions. Number 4 might be the most interesting - I knew Diaw and West would struggle to find minutes... We have never been this deep before and I say this all depends on the matchup we are seeing. Pop still has plenty of time to "experiment" with what works and what doesn't... Only time will tell...

Spurtacular
11-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Yep, the Spurs didn't even want him in Austin.

That's probably not true; but like the classy organization they are, the Spurs released Jimmer to pursue better options.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2015, 07:35 PM
That's probably not true; but like the classy organization they are, the Spurs released Jimmer to pursue better options.The Austin Spurs are loaded with guards and they wasted enough money on Jimmer anyway, so yeah -- it's probably true.

Spurtacular
11-08-2015, 08:48 PM
The Austin Spurs are loaded with guards and they wasted enough money on Jimmer anyway, so yeah -- it's probably true.

Doubtful. Keeping Jimmer wasn't going to cost the Spurs another penny. They're a classy organization who realized that this NBA ready player deserved to go elsewhere. Yea, so suck it, bitch.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2015, 08:53 PM
Doubtful. Keeping Jimmer wasn't going to cost the Spurs another penny.Of course it would have. You think Jimmer is playing in the D-League for free? That's the stupidest thing you have said.
They're a classy organization who realized that this NBA ready player deserved to go elsewhere. Yea, so suck it, bitch.Every team in the league decided he was not NBA ready.

Every.

Team.

Spurtacular
11-08-2015, 08:55 PM
NBA signed players don't get cut an extra check for playing in the d-league as far as I know.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2015, 08:56 PM
NBA signed players don't get cut an extra check for playing in the d-league as far as I know.Jimmer is not in the NBA, genius.

SAGirl
11-09-2015, 12:53 AM
Wow I can't believe this thread, which was interesting on its own, and started asking questions on several issues concerning CURRENT Spurs, has evolved into a Jimmer thread.
:deadhorse:spam:

YGWHI
11-09-2015, 02:21 AM
1 and 6. I can't help but the Spurs look better if Kawhi plays more minutes with Manu and Patty than Parker.