PDA

View Full Version : Is USC's football team the most dominant ever?

Solid D
09-18-2005, 01:13 AM
Would they be able to beat the the LA Raiders?

The execution. The misdirections. The speed. The physicality. The confidence.

Laying 70 on an SEC team like Arkansas is pretty impressive. This may be the best team the NCAA has EVER seen. What do you think?

Solid D
09-18-2005, 01:16 AM
I meant to post in the Club.

Horry For 3!
09-18-2005, 01:17 AM
No

Horry For 3!
09-18-2005, 01:17 AM
I meant to post in the Club.
Its suppose to be in the College Sports Forum...

Solid D
09-18-2005, 01:24 AM
Devaney's Nebraska teams.
Wilkinson's, Fairbanks' and Switzer's Oklahoma teams
Hayes' Ohio State teams.
Royal's Texas teams.
Parseghian's Notre Dame teams.
Bryant's Alabama teams.
Schembechler's Michigan teams.
Paterno's Penn State teams.

None may have been as good as Carroll's USC teams the past two or three seasons.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-18-2005, 02:34 AM
There may have been one before my time, but I dunno...

Certainly nothing in the last 20 yeas or so. That team is a friggin' machine.

Jimcs50
09-18-2005, 09:21 AM
USC will lose at least 2 games this year. Bank on it.

scott
09-18-2005, 09:56 AM
Arkansas is pretty terrible this year, but USC is THAT good, despite Jim picking them to lose to a Cal team that has run a fullback at QB at times this year.

FromWayDowntown
09-18-2005, 01:13 PM
The back-to-back Nebraska champions -- Frazier and Co. -- were in the same ballpark. The Huskers didn't throw the ball as well, but USC doesn't run it as well. If anything, I'd think the Huskers teams were better defensively, but we'll see what happens with USC. Those Huskers are about as close as I can think of.

mookie2001
09-18-2005, 05:54 PM
dominant... maybe, good, best, talented...nope, they play in the pac10, if usc plays in the big10, b12, sec, old big east or current acc they lose 3 games a year this year, 04 and 03

Kdfelicity
09-18-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm sick of hearing bout the Trojans. I hope the Horns kick the freakin daylights out of them. (That is if both make it to the championship bowl) Hook em baby!!!

FromWayDowntown
09-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Of course.

The whole world should be talking about a team that still hasn't beaten its biggest rival in years, and not about a team that has back-to-back national titles under its belt and just beat the holy dogcrap out of an SEC team.

hussker
09-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Devaney's Nebraska teams.
Wilkinson's, Fairbanks' and Switzer's Oklahoma teams
Hayes' Ohio State teams.
Royal's Texas teams.
Parseghian's Notre Dame teams.
Bryant's Alabama teams.
Schembechler's Michigan teams.
Paterno's Penn State teams.

None may have been as good as Carroll's USC teams the past two or three seasons.

Thanks for Leaving out Osborne's NU teams, especially the 93-96 crew. Those teams were a machine and should have won three straight except for a missed Pass Interference call in the 94 Orange Bowl.

BUT, USC is a machine. They will lose this season and t.u. will play some other opponent for the NC (and win).

hussker
09-18-2005, 07:15 PM
The back-to-back Nebraska champions -- Frazier and Co. -- were in the same ballpark. The Huskers didn't throw the ball as well, but USC doesn't run it as well. If anything, I'd think the Huskers teams were better defensively, but we'll see what happens with USC. Those Huskers are about as close as I can think of.

Ditto...as in my post, that team should have won 3 straight.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-18-2005, 08:39 PM
dominant... maybe, good, best, talented...nope, they play in the pac10, if usc plays in the big10, b12, sec, old big east or current acc they lose 3 games a year this year, 04 and 03

You're a fucking idiot. The pummeled OU, the best team the B12 had to offer last year (and spare me the tu bullshit, a team that couldn't score a point on OU last year wouldn't have been able to hang).

They also walked through their bowl game in '04 also, and last time I checked they weren't playing a Pac10 team.

I know you're a homer because you're kissing Mack's ass, but that team (USC) is damn good.

mookie2001
09-18-2005, 08:43 PM
^^i never denied that they werent badass
just solid was talking about "ever"

i would say no, because of the confrence theyre in

would they have the win streak or even the shot at playing for the NC, if they played in the big12, 10 sec, old bigeast or new acc?
the answer without a doubt is NO

Solid D
09-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I know I inadvertently left Osborne's name off the Huskers' list. When Devaney had Osborne calling the shots on offense the last few years of Bob's coaching career at Nebraska, they were incredible. Two National Championships in a row incredible.

Devaney and Osborne both won over 80% of their games over 4 decades.

I must say this USC team ranks right up there with those early 70s and 90s teams up Lincoln-way.

j-6
09-18-2005, 11:29 PM
I've followed college football since about '90 or so, and USC is the best team I've ever seen. The only one that even belongs in the same sentence is that '95 Nebraska team that ran over Florida, but the Trojans are still more solid than Osborne's boys. I genuinely fear a game a UT-USC title game because if just two or three minor mistakes are made by the Horns, USC wins by 30+.

Fuck.

Sense
09-18-2005, 11:35 PM
I think teams are afraid of that team, that's what fuels them unfortunately.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-18-2005, 11:40 PM
^^^^^^^^^ That just adds to the mystique, IMO. I mean, teams coming into games are thinking "if we play absolutely perfect, we have a chance."

And then they make a couple of mistakes, and bam they're down 4 TDs, game over.

Sense
09-18-2005, 11:44 PM
^^^^^^^^^ That just adds to the mystique, IMO. I mean, teams coming into games are thinking "if we play absolutely perfect, we have a chance."

Shows how much the tv or the media in general have changed the game.

j-6
09-18-2005, 11:57 PM

Cal last year gave them a run for their money, and had damn near a flawless game plan with nine returning defensive starters and the best offense (at the time) in D-1.

The Trojans looked sloppy the entire fucking game and still won.

Kdfelicity
09-19-2005, 01:24 AM
I've followed college football since about '90 or so, and USC is the best team I've ever seen. The only one that even belongs in the same sentence is that '95 Nebraska team that ran over Florida, but the Trojans are still more solid than Osborne's boys. I genuinely fear a game a UT-USC title game because if just two or three minor mistakes are made by the Horns, USC wins by 30+.

Fuck.

Nice way to finish that. :lmao (I'm just gonna laugh it off and hope to god it doesn't go down like that) HOOK EM!!!

Extra Stout
09-19-2005, 09:20 AM
USC has the best offense I've ever seen for a college football team, going back to the mid-1980's.

Their defense is just OK. USC can be beaten if they face a similarly high-octane team and turn it over a few times.

Just remember a couple years back how Oklahoma beat Texas A&M 77-0 and everybody figured they were invincible. That didn't end up the way Sooner fans hoped.

mookie2001
09-19-2005, 10:11 AM
usc does have an average d for such a good team, but if youve got speed on d (like Texas), you might have a shot at slowing up Bush, he's not going to pound between the tackles and usc isnt coming with many 7 man fronts, then I think youve got to bring some stunts and delayed blitzes against Lienart, he's got such a quick release and big play receivers, he'll pick apart a safety/corner blitz and you have to leave at least a lb to watch Bush on a short pass, not that you'll get to him for sacks but keep giving him an array of looks, because they guy is so polished he'll just textbook you all day
if Texas does end up playing usc theyve better fucking fixed their kickoff coverage, because the speed usc has on special teams is osu-ginn/holmes, mich/breaston like
hopefully if Texas continues to fuck around mack will start giving some starters some practice on special teams, risky, but you cant give usc even good field position
it would be a tough game but Texas, if they win out, would have as good a chance of any

Solid D
09-19-2005, 11:34 AM
I'd like to see USC go up against Ohio State and their LBs. I think USC would win but I just don't see AJ Hawk, and his mates Carpenter and Schlegel getting fooled by USC's misdirections. I also don't think Reggie Bush would be able to find much of a lane to blow through without getting a little sumpin' sumpin' delivered to inhibit his flow.

FromWayDowntown
09-19-2005, 11:55 AM
I'd like to see USC go up against Ohio State and their LBs. I think USC would win but I just don't see AJ Hawk, and his mates Carpenter and Schlegel getting fooled by USC's misdirections. I also don't think Reggie Bush would be able to find much of a lane to blow through without getting a little sumpin' sumpin' delivered to inhibit his flow.

I think the matchup would be very different. Ohio State told Texas that if the Horns could pass the ball effectively, they'd be able to move it. They conceded the pass to stop Vince Young from running and, in essence, put at least 1 and sometimes 2 spies on Vince on every play.

I don't think that they could do the same thing with USC's offense. USC is far more adept at attacking via the pass and often will use the pass to set up its running game, rather than vice versa. If you focus on stopping misdirection, the Trojans will pick you apart in the passing game by using play action to freeze guys with coverage responsibilities in the middle of the field. If OSU played USC the same way -- if they spied Bush and tried to take him away as a runner -- USC could fairly easily counter by splitting Bush out and putting White in the backfield. If Bush is split out and you try to take him away, you're devoting double coverage to a slot receiver, which leaves the guys on the edges in man coverages. USC's receivers are good enough to beat man coverage most of the time and Leinart is good enough to find them when they do.

I think the problem with USC's offense, from a defensive standpoint, is that you can't hope to take away everything, and even if you take away one thing, they're good enough to beat you with another facet. It's not just some coincidence that all 11 offensive starters are likely to be drafted.

Solid D
09-19-2005, 01:00 PM
USC could fairly easily counter by splitting Bush out and putting White in the backfield. If Bush is split out and you try to take him away, you're devoting double coverage to a slot receiver, which leaves the guys on the edges in man coverages.

Good take on this, FWD. Putting Bush in the slot or as a wide-out (Flanker in old-school terms) gives him better space and Ohio State's DBs are very good but not great.

I am not an Ohio State fan but in observing that team, they really compete, they have great special teams, they can run and they know how to tackle. USC wins, as I said before, but I think OSU would be a very formidible opponent for the Trojans.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Matt Leinart is a big fat stinky pussy.

Vince Young will impale his tonsils.

Marcus Bryant
09-19-2005, 01:43 PM
No, USC is not the most dominant ever, besides their consecutive national championships and tremendous showing early this season, especially when there's the Texas Longhorns and their, um, er, well, uh....

Solid D
09-19-2005, 01:50 PM
No, USC is not the most dominant ever, besides their consecutive national championships and tremendous showing early this season, especially when there's the Texas Longhorns and their, um, er, well, uh....

Good take. :smokin

mookie2001
09-19-2005, 02:00 PM
"I, really...dont..get, scoffed that much...i mean, compared to other..posters"
-MB

Cant_Be_Faded
09-19-2005, 02:01 PM

Thats like indiana fans scoffing the spurs for losing to the lakers......

Cant_Be_Faded
09-19-2005, 02:02 PM
The indiana fans are like you suck spurs, yall lost, you're never going to win a championship again, u might as well give up, oh, my team? I cheer for the PACERS!!!!

Marcus Bryant
09-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Keep trying, lightweights.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Keep trying, lightweights.

Hopefully your god can become an aggie too, or better yet, stupid.

Marcus Bryant
09-19-2005, 02:08 PM
Hopefully you can learn how to post coherently while mad, kiddo.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Maybe your god can turn into a contributor too

Marcus Bryant
09-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Poor bastard.

tlongII
09-19-2005, 02:44 PM

The Pac-10 is the best football conference in the country.

tlongII
09-19-2005, 02:51 PM
USC will have 2 difficult games this year. They play at Oregon and at California. They could easily lose either one of those. Notre Dame doesn't have a prayer against them. Texas has a good shot at going undefeated as they only have to beat lightweights from the Little-12 from here on out.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-19-2005, 02:52 PM
I think/hope Oregon will take them.

j-6
09-19-2005, 02:55 PM
The Pac-10 is the best football conference in the country.

1 USC (57) -P10
2 Texas (8) -XII
3 LSU -SEC
4 Virginia Tech -ACC
5 Florida -SEC
6 Florida State -ACC
7 Georgia -SEC
8 Ohio State -B10
9 Louisville -BE
10 Tennessee -SEC
11 Purdue -B10
12 Miami -ACC
13 California -P10
14 Michigan -B10
15 Georgia Tech -ACC
16 Notre Dame -IND
17 Michigan State -B10
18 Arizona State -P10
19 Texas Tech -XII
20 Alabama -SEC
21 Iowa -B10
22 Iowa State -XII
23 Virginia -ACC
24 Oregon -P10
25 UCLA -P10

I originally was going to scoff at you, but they do have five teams in the latest top 25 poll. That doesn't mean I agree, since I'd put them around fourth, but you have a case.

tlongII
09-19-2005, 03:00 PM
1 USC (57) -P10
2 Texas (8) -XII
3 LSU -SEC
4 Virginia Tech -ACC
5 Florida -SEC
6 Florida State -ACC
7 Georgia -SEC
8 Ohio State -B10
9 Louisville -BE
10 Tennessee -SEC
11 Purdue -B10
12 Miami -ACC
13 California -P10
14 Michigan -B10
15 Georgia Tech -ACC
16 Notre Dame -IND
17 Michigan State -B10
18 Arizona State -P10
19 Texas Tech -XII
20 Alabama -SEC
21 Iowa -B10
22 Iowa State -XII
23 Virginia -ACC
24 Oregon -P10
25 UCLA -P10

I originally was going to scoff at you, but they do have five teams in the latest top 25 poll. That doesn't mean I agree, since I'd put them around fourth, but you have a case.

The polls are worthless. The Pac-10 suffers from east coast bias among the pollsters. The best indicator of conference strength comes from the performances in the bowls at the end of the season.

j-6
09-19-2005, 03:02 PM
The polls are worthless. The Pac-10 suffers from east coast bias among the pollsters. The best indicator of conference strength comes from the performances in the bowls at the end of the season.

Didn't UCLA lose to Wyoming and Cal lose to Tech last season in their bowl games? (I don't remember who else from the Pac-10, but I'll google here in a second)

tlongII
09-19-2005, 03:03 PM
1 USC (57) -P10
2 Texas (8) -XII
3 LSU -SEC
4 Virginia Tech -ACC
5 Florida -SEC
6 Florida State -ACC
7 Georgia -SEC
8 Ohio State -B10
9 Louisville -BE
10 Tennessee -SEC
11 Purdue -B10
12 Miami -ACC
13 California -P10
14 Michigan -B10
15 Georgia Tech -ACC
16 Notre Dame -IND
17 Michigan State -B10
18 Arizona State -P10
19 Texas Tech -XII
20 Alabama -SEC
21 Iowa -B10
22 Iowa State -XII
23 Virginia -ACC
24 Oregon -P10
25 UCLA -P10

So Texas Tech and Iowa State are the 19th and 22nd best teams in the country? I don't think so...

tlongII
09-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Louisville is a top 5 team in my opinion. They have a GREAT team.

j-6
09-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Oregon State beat Notre Dame and Arizona State beat Purdue.

tlongII
09-19-2005, 03:13 PM

Don't forget about USC taking Oklahoma to the woodshed.

j-6
09-19-2005, 03:14 PM
So Texas Tech and Iowa State are the 19th and 22nd best teams in the country? I don't think so...

My opinion on the top 25 poll, for what it's worth. Only the top fifteen teams really mean anything. And early in the season like this, uneducated pollsters just start throwing either undefeated teams or preseason top fifteen teams that are struggling on the spots from sixteen to twenty-five without much research.

You, me, and a couple other guys from here can probably make a poll/ranking system that will look more accurate at the end of the year than this one will look.

One more reason why I need to be appointed NCAA football czar and make a playoff happen.

j-6
09-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Don't forget about USC taking Oklahoma to the woodshed.

Not a chance. :lol

All those guys that made life miserable for UT ending their careers in an asskicking was priceless.

KewlKat00
09-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Didn't UCLA lose to Wyoming and Cal lose to Tech last season in their bowl games? (I don't remember who else from the Pac-10, but I'll google here in a second)

not to defend either of those teams because, as a usc grad, i cant stand them... but ucla lost their starting quarterback during that game. and the cal team that played in the holiday bowl was not the same team that played during the season. they were disappointed and didn't take the game seriously enough. stupid. but i think everyone would have seen a different team had they either not been expecting to go to the rose bowl or ended up going.

KewlKat00
09-19-2005, 03:38 PM

since 2000, the pac-10 is 9-3 vs. the sec (i might be off be a game or two, and i don't feel like looking up all of the games at the moment because i have to go back to work). two of the losses were to lsu: oregon state in 2004 (by a point, i believe) and asu this year (by 3).

j-6
09-19-2005, 04:06 PM
two of the losses were to lsu: oregon state in 2004 (by a point, i believe)

That was the game where the Beaver kicker missed like 3 PAT's, right? That was one of the most miserable football games I've ever seen.

Solid D
09-19-2005, 04:55 PM

Do you mean Michigan State, j-6?

j-6
09-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Do you mean Michigan State, j-6?

We were talking about Pac-10 postseason performances from last year.

December 28, 2004 (Insight Bowl)
Oregon State 38, Notre Dame 31

tlongII
09-19-2005, 06:44 PM

WRONG!
Correct score as follows:
Oregon State 38, Notre Dame 21

Solid D
09-19-2005, 08:06 PM

Oops, sorry about that.

KewlKat00
09-19-2005, 08:19 PM
That was the game where the Beaver kicker missed like 3 PAT's, right? That was one of the most miserable football games I've ever seen.

that is correct... well, he definitely missed more than 1 or 2... 3 seems about right.

Brutalis
09-19-2005, 09:41 PM
As an Arkansan, I must say I am pretty depressed.

Vandy is underrated. Understand that much, if not you need to update your inventory.

USC is seriously somekind of mutant team that kills every position. My Hogs are raw, young and having "Fire Houston Nutt" issues. But Frank Broyles Hogs would have creamed USC. So would old Oklahoma, Texas teams. USC is just FAST and WELL COACHED. They have talented guys and I really don't see them being messed with this year.

My Hogs will finish around 4-7. We got the countries #1 QB comming next year, Mustain from Springdale, and his top reciever. We have Hillis, Monk and young fast defense to improve on. So hopefully Nutt gets moved somehow and we can do something.

Yes I feel the need to defend the Hogs for no apparent reason. Somebody needs to. Having a cival war in this damn state.