PDA

View Full Version : Duncan: "We've got a good core here. As long as Danny stops sucking"

Amuseddaysleeper
11-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Duncan with the truth bombs:

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/david_aldridge/11/09/morning-tip-spurs-bridge-to-future-wesley-matthews-comeback-trail-chris-paul-qa/index.html

Chinook
11-09-2015, 12:36 PM
We'll see if that sparks something in Danny.

Mikeanaro
11-09-2015, 12:45 PM
More sucking? :lmao

spursistan
11-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Timmy..a way to slip the truth bomb :lmao

spursistan
11-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Team captain doing team captain things :tu

spursistan
11-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Hopefully his next target is certain guy who is been sucking for the last couple of years, tbh..

DarrinS
11-09-2015, 12:49 PM
He continues: "We've got a good core here. We've got a good bunch of young guys. And, obviously (we're) adding L.A. to that. As long as Danny stops sucking" -- Green, seated next to Duncan, was waiting for the zinger

:lol @ Tim

Amuseddaysleeper
11-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Hopefully his next target is certain guy who is been sucking for the last couple of years, tbh..

Bonner has already been benched.

SpursFan86
11-09-2015, 01:12 PM
DPG is the manifestation of Popovich's brain

SpursTalk's own getting a shoutout from David Aldridge :wow

DPG21920
11-09-2015, 01:17 PM

Doing my part to raise the bar

RD2191
11-09-2015, 01:18 PM

:lol

DPG21920
11-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Tim is such an awesome dude. That is the type of chemistry you can't buy. Danny has proven himself and is the least of my concerns.

Fireball
11-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Danny has proven himself and is the least of my concerns.

and Timmy feels the same otherwise he would not have said something like that in front of the media ...

HarlemHeat37
11-09-2015, 01:34 PM
nice..I wonder if Mark Jackson will find a way to spin this, though:lol..

RD2191
11-09-2015, 01:36 PM
I wish he'd call Parker out, tbh

Aztecfan03
11-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Ayres isn't on the team anymore.

SAGirl
11-09-2015, 02:28 PM
To be fair, Danny has played like the worst regular rotation guy at times, but TD was jabbing at Danny in good fun it appears.

It was a nice article by the way. thanks for sharing that.

Kool Bob Love
11-09-2015, 03:55 PM
Green could handle it. Kawhi on the other hand....

tmtcsc
11-09-2015, 04:36 PM
The article brought up an interesting comment about Spurs free agents and how long it takes them to assimilate to the system. In my opinion, Robert Horry, Derek Anderson and Roger Mason fit right away. It took a while for Brent Barry and Michael Finley. Any one else care to chime in?

Kawhitstorm
11-09-2015, 04:42 PM

Light Skin kinship:lol

Kawhitstorm
11-09-2015, 04:49 PM
The article brought up an interesting comment about Spurs free agents and how long it takes them to assimilate to the system. In my opinion, Robert Horry, Derek Anderson and Roger Mason fit right away. It took a while for Brent Barry and Michael Finley. Any one else care to chime in?

The Spurs offense wasn't that complicated when Derek Anderson signed & Horry/Mason were bench players. Barry was a bench player but he had to run the offense when Manu was starting in 2004-05. Finley/McDyess were vets who started & did okay. Belly/Patty fit in right away but it took Tiago a couple of season to play alongside Tim. Rasho sucked & got outplayed by midseason pickup Nazr. I'm not sure what to make of Oberto/Blair/Kurt Thomas.

Kawhi/Danny didn't really struggle once they became starters.

Claxton, Bowen, Steve Smith, Stephen Jackson, Claxton, Manu, Tony came in when the offense was 4-down plays:lol

Little Richard was the worst fit in the Team Duncan era.

HarlemHeat37
11-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Blair was an easy fit, he just caught passes from Manu:lol..offensively, of course..defense, OTOH, :(

TDomination
11-09-2015, 05:10 PM
lol @ Tim

Man i'm going to miss him when hes gone.

SAGirl
11-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Boris clicked relatively fast, I think because he's such a high IQ player and really a team player, but he didn't become Boris 2.0 after a while, and after Pop prodded him and pushed him to be aggressive with his shot. Pop also said he asked Parker, how the team could use Boris better bc at the beginning Pop didn't know how to get the best out of Boris. Tony told Pop that Boris is a good post up player and up until that point, they rarely had used him in the post.

dabom
11-09-2015, 05:27 PM
SAGirl (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49524) with some rare goods. Thumpsup.pic

Old School 44
11-09-2015, 05:47 PM
I thought Belinelli fit in well fairly quickly.

RD2191
11-09-2015, 05:48 PM
SAGirl (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49524) with some rare goods. Thumpsup.pic

Have you seen her penis?

dabom
11-09-2015, 05:52 PM
No I have not. Lol

RD2191
11-09-2015, 05:54 PM
No I have not. Lol

:lmao

SupremeGuy
11-09-2015, 05:55 PM
That's some good shit. :lol How can anyone not like Tim Duncan?

DarrinS
11-09-2015, 07:01 PM
That's some good shit. :lol How can anyone not like Tim Duncan?

I wish there was a video. You only know he said that shit with a straight face.

T_L_P
11-09-2015, 07:02 PM

Terry Porter fit in right away.

cjw
11-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Difference between Duncan and Kobe - Kobe would say the exact same but it in a much different context

ElNono
11-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Icy Icy... ugh

daledondale
11-10-2015, 10:21 AM
Icy Icy... ugh
Holy shit, i'm officially worried about Danny.

MI21
11-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Danny was pretty painful tonight. Ferrari killed him off ball and offensively shit was pretty ugly.

But one thing we do know is that Danny will stop being so shit. It's guaranteed.

Dex
11-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Better for him to be icy now than in May, tbh.

Still though...I do worry that all this focus on him trying to develop his imbetween game has made him more hesitant to just let shots fly, which is when he excelled. Now he is either forcing up threes when they aren't there, or driving when he has the open shot.

Raven
11-10-2015, 11:12 AM
dayum :lol

spursistan
11-10-2015, 12:19 PM
Spurs are "Green hitting his 3s" away from blowing out scrub teams by 20-25 pts on the regular..you could see these games get unnecessarily tight by mid 3rd Quarter before we pull away again ..hopefully DG will join the party soon..

SAGirl
11-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Better for him to be icy now than in May, tbh.

Still though...I do worry that all this focus on him trying to develop his imbetween game has made him more hesitant to just let shots fly, which is when he excelled. Now he is either forcing up threes when they aren't there, or driving when he has the open shot.
Agree with you, he's hesitating a whole lot, allowing others to close out on his shot, when realistically, he has such a quick trigger that unless you are within 2-3 feet of him, he can still get his shot off. . . He's been having TO off the dribble too, travel calls, double dribbles, he's always a bit careless with his passing. He always makes me nervous when it seems like he wants to do too much. He's improved a lot over the years, and really its better if he is not one dimensional, but lately its like too often he wants to show all this other stuff that are not his strengths, while hesitating on his shots, where he's elite.

HarlemHeat37
11-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Agree with you, he's hesitating a whole lot, allowing others to close out on his shot, when realistically, he has such a quick trigger that unless you are within 2-3 feet of him, he can still get his shot off. . . He's been having TO off the dribble too, travel calls, double dribbles, he's always a bit careless with his passing. He always makes me nervous when it seems like he wants to do too much. He's improved a lot over the years, and really its better if he is not one dimensional, but lately its like too often he wants to show all this other stuff that are not his strengths, while hesitating on his shots, where he's elite.

:lol I don't think he "wants to show" his other stuff..it's evident that he's suffering from the starting unit's poor structure, as he's having to put the ball on the floor way more often than usual, unfortunately..

He's still drawing a defender at the 3-point line, thankfully, which is allowing Kawhi to go 1 on 1 more often, which he has fully taken advantage of at an MVP level, so far..

SAGirl
11-10-2015, 01:57 PM
:lol I don't think he "wants to show" his other stuff..it's evident that he's suffering from the starting unit's poor structure, as he's having to put the ball on the floor way more often than usual, unfortunately..

He's still drawing a defender at the 3-point line, thankfully, which is allowing Kawhi to go 1 on 1 more often, which he has fully taken advantage of at an MVP level, so far..
:toast
:lol
You are probably right! Heck that block on his shot by Adams in the OkC game has probably made him rethink those close outs, and put the ball on the floor.

spurs10
11-10-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm a big Danny fan and have thought his play has been our worst problem this year. On a game thread, in Boston I think, posters were saying he looked hungover. I wonder if he isn't as focused as he needs to be. Does he stay after practice etc? It's very possible he has a lot of people wanted to hang and enjoy the good life around him. Probably needs to hang with Tim and listening to what he says. You know he caught Tim's drift, even if he was half joking.
:bobo

HarlemHeat37
11-10-2015, 02:09 PM
^^ He's been fine the past 2 games, stat-stuffing like he did last year, just missing shots(his jump shot has been on the past 2 games, but missing the floaters/runners)..

Chinook
11-10-2015, 02:12 PM
He isn't good at dribbling, but I think he's done a decent job expanding his offense. He has twice as many assists as Kawhi does, for example, and he's actually had bad luck on guys missing the open looks he's given them. I'm pretty encouraged by it, actually, and once he and LMA get better chemistry, I could see Danny getting even better at collecting assists. You can see parts of his game breaking out slowly. He has a chance to put up career highs in this offense if he can straighten out his timing a limit his turnovers.

HarlemHeat37
11-10-2015, 02:53 PM
He isn't good at dribbling, but I think he's done a decent job expanding his offense. He has twice as many assists as Kawhi does, for example, and he's actually had bad luck on guys missing the open looks he's given them. I'm pretty encouraged by it, actually, and once he and LMA get better chemistry, I could see Danny getting even better at collecting assists. You can see parts of his game breaking out slowly. He has a chance to put up career highs in this offense if he can straighten out his timing a limit his turnovers.

Surprisingly, they only seem to utilize Aldridge's favorite play when Green has the ball:lol..But ya, he has 8 assists to 0 passing turnovers the past 2 games(his 2 turnovers vs. Sacramento were stepping out of bounds on the catch + a travel call after the catch), and he has 4 blocks/3 steals and rebounding well..his all-around game has been back to where we expect, and he's 4-8 on open jump shots in the past 2 IIRC..

He had trouble keeping up with Beli's screens, but that was a team issue just as much as individual defense, Pop didn't make an adjustment until the end, didn't really need to, at that point..

SAGirl
11-10-2015, 04:32 PM
He's improved the past two games, but I do wonder about the partying in the Boston/NYC game. Both times he got benched, one in favor of Ginobili having to play something like 24 minutes, and the other by Anderson. The Wiz game, he had a terrible few minutes of sequence of very chaotic play with Mills, and that chaotic TO play continued with the SL.

It is true that in those games he was poor. Defensively he's been having his famous lapses, and obviously his 3 wasn't falling. I thought Belinelli did a number on him drawing all these fouls on Danny and getting whatever he wanted. I think Danny is not quite there yet to his best, but he's been better than where he started, and that is encouraging.

HarlemHeat37
11-10-2015, 05:42 PM
He's improved the past two games, but I do wonder about the partying in the Boston/NYC game. Both times he got benched, one in favor of Ginobili having to play something like 24 minutes, and the other by Anderson. The Wiz game, he had a terrible few minutes of sequence of very chaotic play with Mills, and that chaotic TO play continued with the SL.

It is true that in those games he was poor. Defensively he's been having his famous lapses, and obviously his 3 wasn't falling. I thought Belinelli did a number on him drawing all these fouls on Danny and getting whatever he wanted. I think Danny is not quite there yet to his best, but he's been better than where he started, and that is encouraging.

Beli is a pretty bad matchup for both Danny and Kawhi, since he does virtually all his damage off screens, he's one of the best in the NBA at shooting on the move..they are both too slow to fight through IMO, and the Spurs' help defenders aren't quick enough to recover(although that wasn't the strategy yesterday, they only helped/switched twice all game)..he didn't score anything that wasn't off a screen or a wide open spot-up 3 last night IIRC..

Manu defended him really well, because of his quickness(and familiarity, I suppose, since they were inseparable on the court:lol) IMO..I would have been interested in seeing how Mills would have done at guarding him off screens, and having DG as a help defender instead(since he's the 2nd best shot blocker and rim defender on the team)

ElNono
11-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Manu defended him really well, because of his quickness(and familiarity, I suppose, since they were inseparable on the court:lol) IMO..I would have been interested in seeing how Mills would have done at guarding him off screens, and having DG as a help defender instead(since he's the 2nd best shot blocker and rim defender on the team)

On that note, it's incredibly amazing how underrated Manu is as a defender... especially at 38 years old...

SAGirl
11-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Beli is a pretty bad matchup for both Danny and Kawhi, since he does virtually all his damage off screens, he's one of the best in the NBA at shooting on the move..they are both too slow to fight through IMO, and the Spurs' help defenders aren't quick enough to recover(although that wasn't the strategy yesterday, they only helped/switched twice all game)..he didn't score anything that wasn't off a screen or a wide open spot-up 3 last night IIRC..

Beal and Otto Porter both did a number on Kawhi and Danny TBH even the last posession in that game, precisely bc their thing is coming off screens and well John Wall is very good at finding his guys, got to give credit to Wall. But in general, guys like that do spell trouble. Beli is on another level, bc not only the screens, he runs back and forth and changes direction, all these herky-jerky stuff got Danny. lol

spurs10
11-10-2015, 08:39 PM
^^ He's been fine the past 2 games, stat-stuffing like he did last year, just missing shots(his jump shot has been on the past 2 games, but missing the floaters/runners)..

:toast

MI21
11-10-2015, 11:35 PM
On that note, it's incredibly amazing how underrated Manu is as a defender... especially at 38 years old...

I have to agree. I often wonder why teams think it is a good idea to post up Manu with a bigger player - he is very good at his age of using all the tricks to make guys work.

MI21
11-10-2015, 11:37 PM
Surprisingly, they only seem to utilize Aldridge's favorite play when Green has the ball:lol..But ya, he has 8 assists to 0 passing turnovers the past 2 games(his 2 turnovers vs. Sacramento were stepping out of bounds on the catch + a travel call after the catch), and he has 4 blocks/3 steals and rebounding well..his all-around game has been back to where we expect, and he's 4-8 on open jump shots in the past 2 IIRC..

He had trouble keeping up with Beli's screens, but that was a team issue just as much as individual defense, Pop didn't make an adjustment until the end, didn't really need to, at that point..

I've noticed the left side PickNPop with Danny/LMA has worked a few times and it's almost the only time they run it (which infuriates me).

For me, it's also one of the most unlikely useful pieces because Danny always dribbles left and for some reason the defense hedges towards him and leaves LMA with to much space. If Danny is trying to make plays off the dribble, even against single coverage, the opposition should be happy about that. It's like they don't even scout, :lol

Yuixafun
11-10-2015, 11:43 PM
I'm a big Danny fan and have thought his play has been our worst problem this year. On a game thread, in Boston I think, posters were saying he looked hungover. I wonder if he isn't as focused as he needs to be. Does he stay after practice etc? It's very possible he has a lot of people wanted to hang and enjoy the good life around him. Probably needs to hang with Tim and listening to what he says. You know he caught Tim's drift, even if he was half joking.
:bobo

Yea I could see that... after getting that new contract, he's enjoying the fruits of his labor.

And also once you feel like you're a made man it's natural to have a let up.

Tim Duncan just gently bopping him on the head, doing GOAT teammate things.

Chinook
11-11-2015, 08:32 AM
I've noticed the left side PickNPop with Danny/LMA has worked a few times and it's almost the only time they run it (which infuriates me).

For me, it's also one of the most unlikely useful pieces because Danny always dribbles left and for some reason the defense hedges towards him and leaves LMA with to much space. If Danny is trying to make plays off the dribble, even against single coverage, the opposition should be happy about that. It's like they don't even scout, :lol

I think teams move to him when he dribbles because the players know he's easy pickings. Danny has gotten pretty good at jump-passes back to the big and actually dishes and kicks if he can get into the paint. In general, Danny's an underrated passer. He can't dribble the ball well or make fancy assists, but if he doesn't have much ball pressure, he can find guys in scoring position at a higher-than-acceptable level for a wing.

Chinook
11-11-2015, 08:43 AM

Green and LMA have a good chance of working together, because Danny can space the floor for Aldridge better than anyone else in the first unit. Someone like Beli would probably be even more dangerous, though, as that player would be better at cutting or finishing.

I don't think the Spurs are very used to having to defend quick guards coming off a series of solid screens. That's an old style of play (mainly because it's mostly midrange shots) so for the most part, the only guards who can do it are ones like Korver or Ray Allen or Kevin Martin and those guys aren't as agile as Beli at this stage. Marco was also uncharacteristically on fire on those shots. I think he only missed one such attempt all game.

If teams figure out how to do that consistently against the Spurs, they will probably find a good amount of success. But I find it unlikely that it's a weakness the Spurs will have to worry about going forward.

spursistan
11-11-2015, 09:19 PM
Green is shooting just 16 percent on open and wide-open looks according to SportsVu. A career 41.6 percent 3-point shooter, Green is at 21.9 percent this season. Inside the arc, he's shooting below 30 percent. His free throw accuracy is down, too. But the sample size obviously isn't large enough to be concerned.
https://twitter.com/mikecwright/status/664619237021888512

Green worst shooting slump of his career..

SAGirl
11-11-2015, 09:20 PM
Well Rasual is shooting poorly too. Its bound to turn around in terms of shooting.

DarrinS
11-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Another night of fingers crossed for Danny.

Just let it fly -- DONT DRIBBLE

Reminds me of Bruce in that way. Dude could hit threes, but I always cringed when he put the ball on the floor.

Mikeanaro
11-11-2015, 09:35 PM
Lets hope the best for Danny, stop sucking sucker.

spurs10
11-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Yea I could see that... after getting that new contract, he's enjoying the fruits of his labor.

And also once you feel like you're a made man it's natural to have a let up.

Tim Duncan just gently bopping him on the head, doing GOAT teammate things. Yep....I think Danny is just going to get better! Tim "doing GOAT teammate things."

spurs10
11-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Lets hope the best for Danny, stop sucking sucker. :flag:

Russo21
11-11-2015, 11:51 PM
Nazr fit in pretty good straight away and helped us to the title in 05, think that was via trade though, cant remember who for (Malik Rose?) He did a really good job, his main problem was that he had terrible terrible hands where if he actually caught the ball instead of dropping it he coulda had plenty of easy dunks. But he fit in real good right away and became quite important to the 05 title

DMC
11-12-2015, 01:09 AM
nice..I wonder if Mark Jackson will find a way to spin this, though:lol..
"Danny Green, come on home.. the big Fundamental has called you out. What are you going to do? How are you going to respond, that's the question Jeff Van Gundy, as Green has to be thinking 'how did I get to this place'. Tim Duncan, with an Alpha statement, calling out his own like a midnight chimp scurrying across the Serengeti.. momma, there goes that primate"

Yuixafun
11-12-2015, 11:47 AM
^^ lulz

Chinook
11-12-2015, 12:19 PM
I'm actually really impressed that Collins went into detail as to why Green was struggling. I've said this many times before, but there's a lot more to spacing that simply shooting threes. With Parker, Green had a pretty predictable timing for his shots. I don't have the proof, but I bet you could time most of his threes and get a very narrow range after Parker began his PnR. Danny's man was either going to help, or he wasn't. So Danny would either get the pass, or he wouldn't.

Playing off LMA, the pass comes whenever Aldridge feels like Green's man has committed. And that varies in both timing and degree. If LMA and Green aren't on the same page, then the help man can stunt and Aldridge and still run Green off the line. It hasn't been all bad, as Danny has been much improved as a passer off the dribble. But it's not ideal for spacing.

rastaspur
11-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Have you seen her penis?

So sa girl is the Bruce Jenner of spurstalk? I missed the memo I guess.

SAGirl
11-13-2015, 12:58 AM
So sa girl is the Bruce Jenner of spurstalk? I missed the memo I guess.
No memo, did you miss the trolling?

SAGirl
11-13-2015, 01:03 AM
I'm actually really impressed that Collins went into detail as to why Green was struggling. I've said this many times before, but there's a lot more to spacing that simply shooting threes. With Parker, Green had a pretty predictable timing for his shots. I don't have the proof, but I bet you could time most of his threes and get a very narrow range after Parker began his PnR. Danny's man was either going to help, or he wasn't. So Danny would either get the pass, or he wouldn't.

Playing off LMA, the pass comes whenever Aldridge feels like Green's man has committed. And that varies in both timing and degree. If LMA and Green aren't on the same page, then the help man can stunt and Aldridge and still run Green off the line. It hasn't been all bad, as Danny has been much improved as a passer off the dribble. But it's not ideal for spacing.
There is a lot to shooting that has to do with rhythm I agree. Multiple commentators always mention it when we see the end of the bench guys specially coming into the game. Even players like Manu mention it, how he needs to play to keep his game rhythm going. It is really hard to come in cold like that, without knowing which shots you will be getting and produce. Players need to play with other guys to get their rhythm going.

Sadly with Anderson's benching, I don't think we will see his potential this season either. He just won't have enough rhythm of his own, and he was already a reluctant shooter. Tough luck. Just has to stay ready, and keep working for his chance.