PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker - hybrid role

SpursforSix
11-09-2015, 03:44 PM
I really don't hate TP. I just want to see him in a productive role with the team. If he can contribute and not turn the ball over, I don't really care about overpaying him right now.
Was thinking that he might become sort of a hybrid player and haven't seen this idea proposed.
Bear with me.

Parker is still the main PG. Brings the ball upcourt.
Once he crosses half court and the offense sets up, he then passes to the wing.
After he passes, he goes and crawls up on the shoulders of one of the bigs.
This should put him in a position to get clear looks at the basket as well as significantly increase his blocks and rebounds.
Would be pretty much unstoppable.

dabom
11-09-2015, 03:46 PM
He can't even make open jumpers. Maybe he passes it to the wing and goes to the corner 3 position.

SpursforSix
11-09-2015, 03:55 PM
He can't even make open jumpers. Maybe he passes it to the wing and goes to the corner 3 position.

I don't know. I don't think he'd miss if he was on Timmys shoulders. He jus have to drop the ball through the hoop.

SASdynasty!
11-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Then how exactly is he shooting 53% from the field? What shots is he making then? (You do realize that's better from the field than Leonard, Duncan, Aldridge, Green, etc. right?)

58% from 16 ft to the 3 pt line.
100% from 3 pt land.

You realize that's like the best on the team right? You might want to get your "eye test" evaluated.

Lostwingman
11-09-2015, 04:06 PM
Curious if we got a breakdown of where Parker is making shots.

ElNono
11-09-2015, 04:09 PM
Curious if we got a breakdown of where Parker is making shots.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/parketo01/shooting/2016/

SASdynasty!
11-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Yah, Tony looks good this year shooting-wise, especially from outside (even when very few are assisted). He's also been really good at the end of games (just like most of his career). Worst game of the season overall was 46% from the field. I'll take that all year.

Lostwingman
11-09-2015, 04:15 PM

Ah, thanks. It seems that Parker can still finish at the basket and hit the long two.

He's looked leagues better recently than he did to finish last season.

ElNono
11-09-2015, 04:20 PM
I have my concerns about Tony with the new look SL, but it's too early to really make a fuss about it, tbh... He's a pro, and he has a guy like Pop that transformed both Tim and Manu roles...

If anything I'm more concerned about hater being on Tony's balls, that might be too much to overcome, IMO...

SASdynasty!
11-09-2015, 04:25 PM
Ah, thanks. It seems that Parker can still finish at the basket and hit the long two.

He's looked leagues better recently than he did to finish last season.
Crazy to think for as much as people say Parker dropped off last year, he still shot 49% from the field. Think about how good we would have been last year if Kawhi (48%), Green (44%), Ginobili (43%), or Mills (38%) could've shot that well. Probably means the difference in a few games and gets us out of that 6th seed. Who knows what happens last year with home court in the playoffs?

RD2191
11-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Crazy to think for as much as people say Parker dropped off last year, he still shot 49% from the field. Think about how good we would have been last year if Kawhi (48%), Green (44%), Ginobili (43%), or Mills (38%) could've shot that well. Probably means the difference in a few games and gets us out of that 6th seed. Who knows what happens last year with home court in the playoffs?

Yeah, if only Parker didn't get his ass handed to him by D leaguer Langston Galloway then maybe the Spurs would of been the 2 seed.

dabom
11-09-2015, 04:31 PM
We flirted with 2nd seed because Kawhi went off and enrique showed up for the pelicans game.

TDomination
11-09-2015, 04:50 PM
It is a tough transition because he was always great at penetrating, sucking in the D and either dishing it out to the open guy or creating a foul. And because of that, he would always get open jumpers and usually hit them.

Now it seems like when he penetrates, he might suck in the D but he will either miss, or turn the ball over thinking he got fouled but no call.

If he can't drive without losing the ball, it causes the offense to become more one dimensional. More one on ones with KL and LA.

I'm not sure how he can fix this with this offense, maybe become more of a 3pt shooter?

dabom
11-09-2015, 04:52 PM
He shot 0% from 3 last playoffs.