PDA

View Full Version : Sorry guys, but more comp help is needed.....

gospursgojas
09-18-2005, 02:38 AM
I have a pretty old comp, about 3 years. Well anyway, my disk drive all of a sudden just stoped working.... nothing happens when I put a cd in, if I goto My Computer and try to open whatever is in the CD-RW Drive (D: ) , it says to insert a disk.

So I figured it was the disk drive, I went out and bought an external CD-RW disk drive and instaled it and it worked for about 2 hours, and then the same shit started happening it would act as if nothing was in the drive. Like it doesnt even reconize the disk drive.... So I tried uninstaling it and then instaling it again and that worked, for about 20 mins then the same prob arose again. So I did it again and it worked for only a few mins again.... :depressed

Anybody know whats wrong with this freaking computer :pctoss

MannyIsGod
09-18-2005, 02:41 AM
What OS are you running on it? Once again, if you are running XP the easiest thing to do is to doa system restore to the last point it was working. Other than that, you can try reinstalling your IDE drivers.

gospursgojas
09-18-2005, 02:46 AM
Im using XP...and I never set a restore point sothe earliest point is prob when I first bought the comp

MannyIsGod
09-18-2005, 02:50 AM
XP automaticaly sets them up. Search for system restore in teh help file and have fun.

gospursgojas
09-18-2005, 02:54 AM
:tu will do

gospursgojas
09-18-2005, 02:59 AM
Damn it'll only go as far back as june and Ive had this prob for like a year...yeah I know its probally time for me to get a new comp.... :(

Sense
09-18-2005, 02:59 AM
XP and old computers is a bad mix.

Did you check if you connected them right btw?

Sense
09-18-2005, 03:00 AM
Damn it'll only go as far back as june and Ive had this prob for like a year...yeah I know its probally time for me to get a new comp.... :(

And yes, good idea.. :rolleyes

We don't want to see a "Computer Help" thread in 2 days again. :lol

gospursgojas
09-18-2005, 03:03 AM
yeah I connected the external drive right all it is is the plug in the wall and the USB into the comp..... I wish I had enough money to buy me a new comp

yeah sorry about the computer help thread, this was my first one

Sense
09-18-2005, 03:09 AM
yeah I connected the external drive right all it is is the plug in the wall and the USB into the comp..... I wish I had enough money to buy me a new comp

yeah sorry about the computer help thread, this was my first one

Oh, hadn't checked the help threads... but since you said more I thought you did 2.

Who cares, gl with ur pc. :angel

MannyIsGod
09-18-2005, 03:09 AM
:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5243413570&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

gospursgojas
09-18-2005, 03:11 AM
:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5243413570&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Belive it or not my comp isnt much better than that..... :lol :lol ......... :depressed

MannyIsGod
09-18-2005, 03:15 AM
If you're comp is better than that, it should run XP fine.

Nbadan
09-18-2005, 03:35 AM
I have a pretty old comp, about 3 years. Well anyway, my disk drive all of a sudden just stoped working.... nothing happens when I put a cd in, if I goto My Computer and try to open whatever is in the CD-RW Drive (D: ) , it says to insert a disk.

So I figured it was the disk drive, I went out and bought an external CD-RW disk drive and instaled it and it worked for about 2 hours, and then the same shit started happening it would act as if nothing was in the drive. Like it doesnt even reconize the disk drive.... So I tried uninstaling it and then instaling it again and that worked, for about 20 mins then the same prob arose again. So I did it again and it worked for only a few mins again.... :depressed

Anybody know whats wrong with this freaking computer :pctoss

Right off the bat my first assumption would be that you have two different problems. By 'disk drive' I am assuming you mean the CD or CDR/CDRW drive installed in your computer. These junk out all the time, especially if you use CD's that are very dirty frequently. Be glad your old one lasted as long as it did. You can buy a reasonable price replacement drive at www.newegg.com. They guarantee all their stuff and have super fast shipping. Besides, CD ROMs are super easy to replace.

As far as your external CDR, there is no real reason it should read the drive and then lose it within minutes. I would check the easy stuff first. Make sure your using the right driver for your operating system. Go to the manufactures website and download the latest driver.

What kind of external connection are you using USB1.1? USB2.0? Parallel? to connect to the computer? Go to your control panel and make sure drivers for your USB(?) and the driver for the external CD Rom aren't conflicting with any other devices.

The last thing it could be is that you just need to add more memory. I recommend at least 512K is your running WINXP. XP will work with less, but the glitch factor increases exponentially the more you get away from 512k.

If none of that works, you just got a defected external drive.

gospursgojas
09-18-2005, 03:38 AM
Right off the bat my first assumption would be that you have two different problems. By 'disk drive' I am assuming you mean the CD or CDR/CDRW drive installed in your computer. These junk out all the time, especially if you use CD's that are very dirty frequently. Be glad your old one lasted as long as it did. You can buy a reasonable price replacement drive at www.newegg.com. They guarantee all their stuff and have super fast shipping. Besides, CD ROMs are super easy to replace.

As far as your external CDR, there is no real reason it should read the drive and then lose it within minutes. I would check the easy stuff first. Make sure your using the right driver for your operating system. Go to the manufactures website and download the latest driver.

What kind of external connection are you using USB1.1? USB2.0? Parallel? to connect to the computer? Go to your control panel and make sure drivers for your USB(?) and the driver for the external CD Rom aren't conflicting with any other devices.

The last thing it could be is that you just need to add more memory. I recommend at least 512K is your running WINXP. XP will work with less, but the glitch factor increases exponentially the more you get away from 512k.

If none of that works, you just got a defected external drive.

The external is a USB 2.0

Nbadan
09-18-2005, 03:48 AM

Yeah, just go into your device manager and check that your USB driver is in enhanced mode. Should say something like Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host controller. If it has a yellow circle with a black exclimation point it front of it, the device is conflicting with something else.

gospursgojas
09-18-2005, 03:50 AM
:tu ok

Nbadan
09-18-2005, 03:53 AM
But If I had to guess I would think that its probably your driver.

Marklar MM
09-18-2005, 08:07 AM

Are you sure your computer uses a USB 2.0 slot, or a USB 1.1 . That could be a factor if your computer is using USB 1.1 and the device has 2.0