PDA

View Full Version : MALPRACTICE: Ben Carson To Girl's Parents: " My Goal Is Not To Kill Your Kid"

Koolaid_Man
11-10-2015, 07:53 AM
Even though according to the article he left her partially paralyzed....So Benny Boy wants to see Obama's School records at Harvard and Columbia...ok no problem as soon as this would be stabber-in-chief comes clean about the medical malpractice lawsuits against him and tell us how many people actually died or have been left paralysed while he was holding the scalpel.....:wow

Ben Carson’s patients claim malpractice in star doctor’s path to politics

Yet even with a legacy as one of the world’s most-respected neurosurgeons, Maryland court records show Carson has been involved in at least a half-dozen malpractice cases, some of which remain pending, while others were either settled or dismissed for untold sums.

That ratio is typical in Carson’s field, experts say, but a number of Carson’s former patients and their families involved in the claims offered the Guardian a conflicting account of his near-perfect medical path toward presidential politics, detailing their continued suffering from paralysis, seizure, an uncontrollable bladder and more life-altering ordeals.

Carson, however, has faced several malpractice allegations that date back to the early 1980s. A spokeswoman for Carson did not respond to a detailed list of questions sent by the Guardian for this article, but in at least one case, an agreement was reached with the plaintiff to not disclose any outcome of her settlement.

“Before my surgery … he came out and told my parents, ‘I will follow your surgical guidelines in your surgery – my goal is not to kill your kid,’” Bailey, now 26, told the Guardian in an interview.

What happened next is in dispute, but Bailey contends Carson, in surgery performed that August, invaded her brain stem, which led to life-changing nerve damage.
Carson says that he performed a complex, detailed surgery and that Bailey’s parents were made aware of the risks associated with it.

“[L]ike always, I consulted them on the fact that I would remove as much tumor as was reasonably safe,” Carson said in a sworn affidavit. In an operative report, Carson said, he wrote he attempted to “remove all visible tumor”, which he described as removing what was “reasonably safe”.

But as a result of the surgery, according to Bailey’s court filing, “Carson severely disturbed, injured, or destroyed multiple neuronal circuits controlling the patient’s facial motor functions, horizontal gaze movements, and other psychological functions.”

When she woke up, Bailey said she was partially paralyzed on the right side of her body.

“I couldn’t walk, I couldn’t talk, you couldn’t understand me at all,” she told the Guardian. Previously, she wrote right-handed; post-surgery, she has learned how to write left-handed.

Much more here...
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/ben-carsons-patients-claim-malpractice-in-star-doctors-path-to-politics/

mrsmaalox
11-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Kool, as much as Dr Carson rubs me the wrong way also, I'm not sure this suit is necessarily a reflection of his practice/skill. Malpractice suits can be filed any time a patient is unhappy with their results and can find a lawyer eager to take their money. It doesn't mean malpractice actually happened. And we all know that "settling" any suit isn't necessarily an admission of guilt or proof of negligence. And really, half a dozen suits over decades of practice isn't much, especially in the extremely high risk field of neurosurgery. I think we all understand that brain tumors are pretty damn serious and treating them is dangerous and very risky. Neurosurgery doesn't happen in a bubble, there are many, many professionals involved in every case, every step of the way. The obviously negligent get called out by the other professionals they work beside, hopefully before they inflict damage.

Koolaid_Man
11-10-2015, 01:04 PM
I agree with you Maalox....I just hope somehow this brings him down...I would feel bad if this smart..and religious nut job whacko became POTUS...

At any rate....I'm just glad you're talking to me again Maalox..I've been depressed over that shit...you mean a lot to me sexy Cinnamon girl you....

boutons_deux
11-10-2015, 01:24 PM
"The obviously negligent get called out by the other professionals"

not really. doctor and nurses fired in one state end up working as doctors and nurses in another state. like the police, those professions protect themselves.

rmt
11-10-2015, 05:31 PM
I can see if posters knock Carson for his religion or his politics, but as a doctor, the man is obviously brilliant. A half dozen law suits in what - a 30 year career in a field like brain surgery is excellent. I'd feel privileged to get a top notch doctor from a top notch hospital like John Hopkins operating on my child as opposed to some unknown neurosurgeon in Miami. I wonder how many pediatric neurosurgeons there even are in Miami.

mrsmaalox
11-11-2015, 01:41 AM
I can see if posters knock Carson for his religion or his politics, but as a doctor, the man is obviously brilliant. A half dozen law suits in what - a 30 year career in a field like brain surgery is excellent. I'd feel privileged to get a top notch doctor from a top notch hospital like John Hopkins operating on my child as opposed to some unknown neurosurgeon in Miami. I wonder how many pediatric neurosurgeons there even are in Miami.

Ha! I'm a trauma/critical care nurse and for 13 years I worked with about 8 neurosurgeons very closely at one hospital. A couple were brilliant but most were average in intelligence but were good at what they did because they had so much practice doing it. And a couple were downright scary and high maintenance, having the greatest ancillary staff to carry them and coming out smelling like a rose even with just average survival rates. It probably doesn't mean much and it shouldn't really, but speaking as someone who actually has known and worked closely with a number of neurosurgeons (not too many people really have), from just my intuition, I would not let him touch a family member of mine. I know its just a personal thing for me, one of those "vibe" things, but I find him downright scary. I'd be interested in knowing what other health professionals think of him.

rmt
11-11-2015, 09:30 AM
Ha! I'm a trauma/critical care nurse and for 13 years I worked with about 8 neurosurgeons very closely at one hospital. A couple were brilliant but most were average in intelligence but were good at what they did because they had so much practice doing it. And a couple were downright scary and high maintenance, having the greatest ancillary staff to carry them and coming out smelling like a rose even with just average survival rates. It probably doesn't mean much and it shouldn't really, but speaking as someone who actually has known and worked closely with a number of neurosurgeons (not too many people really have), from just my intuition, I would not let him touch a family member of mine. I know its just a personal thing for me, one of those "vibe" things, but I find him downright scary. I'd be interested in knowing what other health professionals think of him.

You are lucky as you have your choice of 8 neurosurgeons because you work at the hospital. For my kid, I'd be limited to whatever neurosurgeon is in Miami - Obamacare's bronze limited network and all - unless I was close to an enrollment period and could switch to some platinum policy with generous out-of-network.

boutons_deux
11-11-2015, 09:33 AM
"Obamacare's bronze limited network and all"

insurance network cartels existed long before ACA, just another way Americans, as passive as sheep before the wolves, are screwed over for insurance company profits.

rmt
11-11-2015, 01:33 PM
"Obamacare's bronze limited network and all"

insurance network cartels existed long before ACA, just another way Americans, as passive as sheep before the wolves, are screwed over for insurance company profits.

Did I not post the 85/15 rule explaining that under ACA, the insurance companies have to spend 85% on healthcare (15% on everything else - overhead, advertising, salary, etc). I already explained that it's the mandated 10 essential benefits, taxes and fees that are driving up the price. Sorry, but the premiums are so high that I can only afford the bronze level. Only if my kid needed brain surgery, would I be buying a platinum policy.

And no, before Obamacare we had PPO coverage - could go to pretty much any doctor/hospital.

boutons_deux
11-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Did I not post the 85/15 rule explaining that under ACA, the insurance companies have to spend 85% on healthcare (15% on everything else - overhead, advertising, salary, etc). I already explained that it's the mandated 10 essential benefits, taxes and fees that are driving up the price. Sorry, but the premiums are so high that I can only afford the bronze level. Only if my kid needed brain surgery, would I be buying a platinum policy.

And no, before Obamacare we had PPO coverage - could go to pretty much any doctor/hospital.

Although Barry handed the insurance vultures and their investors 10Ms of new customers, they still continue to hike the cost of insurance. fuck 'em all.

A lot of the "overhead" in for-profit insurers is paying/rewarding staff for figuring out how NOT to pay customers.

The consolidation of the insurers SHOULD increase efficiency, but NO DOUBT they will continue to increase prices at many times the rate of inflation forever.

the health insurance/BigPharma/BigHospital scams are just another way BigCrop fucks America into unfuckability.

rmt
11-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Although Barry handed the insurance vultures and their investors 10Ms of new customers, they still continue to hike the cost of insurance. fuck 'em all.

A lot of the "overhead" in for-profit insurers is paying/rewarding staff for figuring out how NOT to pay customers.

The consolidation of the insurers SHOULD increase efficiency, but NO DOUBT they will continue to increase prices at many times the rate of inflation forever.

the health insurance/BigPharma/BigHospital scams are just another way BigCrop fucks America into unfuckability.

Insurance companies got into bed with Obama and got shafted. They were supposed to get 3 years of the tax-payer bailout but Obama sold them out - compromising with the Repubs and cutting off tax-payer bailouts by signing the budget last year. I have no sympathy for the insurance companies as they are getting millions of new customers. So they are making their money by VOLUME - not by hiking up the cost of healthcare. That is solely on ACA's mandated 10 essential benefits, taxes and fees - that's on Obama and the Dems.

Consolidation always hurts competition which in turn drives up prices.

Colorado is putting single payer on the ballot. I don't see how workers are gonna support single payer. All the sick people will be moving there.

boutons_deux
11-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Colorado is putting single payer on the ballot. I don't see how workers are gonna support single payer. All the sick people will be moving there.

a state-wide single-payer can't make it, because the paying pool is too small. It only work when the paying pool is the entire working (and non-working) population. Not Colorado's puny 5M. That's why the ACA coops are failing (of course, the Repugs are killing them, too).

And yes, how does a single-payer state block out-of-state, non-paying moochers?