PDA

View Full Version : Marc Gasol on Spurs would have had fiasco potential

spursistan
11-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Glad he never entertained the thought of leaving Memphis..He hasn't been the same since the calendar turned to 2015 after that scorching Nov/Dec start to last season..Even more this year, he's off to a horrible one..

A heavy-sleepwalking,majorly-adjsuting LMA is still putting 15/9 on 46% with commendable hustle and D and the little extra space he attracts has allowed Kawhi to thrive with his mid/close range, tbh..The offensive upside with Aldridge is clearly is much better having lost close to nothing on the other end..

Mikeanaro
11-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Fat boy, never wanted him, tbh.

timtonymanu
11-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Always preferred LMA anyway. Duncan/Splitter > Duncan/Gasol too

aal04
11-10-2015, 03:11 PM
I really didnt want Gasol or LMA personally. I feel like 30+ is too old to hand over the reigns to. LMA has what? 2-3 good unathletic years in him unless he goes HOF PF.

TheGreatYacht
11-10-2015, 03:16 PM
Has always been overrated, tbh.

Tim playing the 4 next to him and chasing stretch 4's? :nope

K...
11-10-2015, 03:39 PM
Well, the ability to go back to back would have been worth it.not saying he'd lead us to the promised land, but it's not a simple comparison. We'd have kept splitter too. Duncan, splitter, gasol, Diaw

Never mind wrong gasol. ,

lilbthebasedgod
11-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I never prefered him. Always seemed like an odd fit. He'd be closer to splitter but I like duncan at center.

spurraider21
11-10-2015, 03:44 PM
Bend over, I'll show you a fiasco

SAGirl
11-10-2015, 03:59 PM
I agree with you all I don't think Gasol would have been a good fit next to TD either TBH. As good of a passer as Gasol is, LMA has turned out pretty unselfish and a team player for us, and he actually likes to take those midrange shots from outside or the occasional 3. He has indeed provided more space for Kawhi, and even Tony.

Chinook
11-10-2015, 04:00 PM
I know Richie really wanted Marc. But I NEVER wanted him (and there are plenty of posts to show that). The Spurs really needed a PF, and Gasol was absolutely not going to be that. I am pretty interested in bringing in Pau for whatever cap space is available (it's not much) if Tim hangs them up, though. On a one-year deal, Old Gasol would be a nice bridge into the 2017 New Big Three (Kawhi, LMA and a max free agent) Era.

BatManu20
11-10-2015, 04:29 PM
Yea Gasol's regressed a bit and is going to waste his career in Memphis, sadly. Oh well.

On another note, trade Parker and draft picks to ATL for Splitter and Schröder (he wants to be a starting PG somewhere anyways) tbh. Reinvigorate this team while simultaneously bringing back the Golden God.

K...
11-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Yea Gasol's regressed a bit and is going to waste his career in Memphis, sadly. Oh well.

On another note, trade Parker and draft picks to ATL for Splitter and Schröder (he wants to be a starting PG somewhere anyways) tbh. Reinvigorate this team while simultaneously bringing back the Golden God.

Stop with that unrealistic trade. Atl doesn't want are sorry picks or or sorry tosb.

Getting gasol (I have the right one this time) would have meant Diaw got the starts. If that were motivated Diaw than maybe it works. But that means Tim retires.

It would be interesting To compare the current team and another where Duncan retired. Assuming we still get lma, who do we start at 5?

Budkin
11-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Have to admit I wanted Gasol over LMA. Glad I didn't get what I wanted. Gasol looks horrible. Gotta be something else going on though.

Chinook
11-10-2015, 05:19 PM
Assuming we still get lma, who do we start at 5?

I would assume Splitter is still on the team, or in the very least that he's traded for value. If everything worked out exactly as it did with the roster except for Tim coming back, the Spurs would probably have made a huge run at Koufos.

Chinook
11-10-2015, 05:20 PM
Have to admit I wanted Gasol over LMA. Glad I didn't get what I wanted. Gasol looks horrible. Gotta be something else going on though.

Props, bro, on being able to come out and say that. Marc may well end up making us all seem foolish for doubting him, though.

ElNono
11-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Haven't seen Marc at all this season, but heard he's been poor... honestly, I think Pop and Tim would've made it work. Guy is unselfish and has great work ethic... plus as Harlem said, it's hard to play well in 2015 with ZBo and Tony Allen...

HarlemHeat37
11-10-2015, 05:24 PM
I wanted Aldridge on the Spurs, even though I'm not a fan of his game and I think he's overrated, he's a much better potential fit than Gasol for a team that needs a scoring punch more than additional defense/passing..

However, while I don't think Gasol would have been a great fit here with Tim on the roster, the talk of his demise is premature IMO..he looks bad, so far, but it's probably just a rough stretch on a dysfunctional team on the verge of implosion(and still playing liabilities like Randolph and Allen)..

timtonymanu
11-10-2015, 05:25 PM
I think Marc can still bounce back. But LMA was just the better fit, imo. Would still prefer him.

Ice009
11-10-2015, 06:48 PM
I really didnt want Gasol or LMA personally. I feel like 30+ is too old to hand over the reigns to. LMA has what? 2-3 good unathletic years in him unless he goes HOF PF.

So, you would have preferred no-one? I can't believe how many people here are ungrateful about Aldridge signing here. Tim really, really needed another big that can take the scoring load off of him (especially at this age). Gasol would have also likely been a poor fit defensively with Tim. I wouldn't have wanted that at all. I don't like seeing drop-offs on defense, only improvements, and adding Gasol would have most likely caused a drop-off.

100%duncan
11-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Never really wanted him. And that GS series put the nail in the coffin. Dude quitPERIOD

dabom
11-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Always prefered LMA. Better fit. Bump old threads for lols.

spursistan
11-10-2015, 07:47 PM
Not sure why people act like he is only been underwhelming the first 8 games of this season...His slump started from early January for whatever reason..Watching him getting punked by 6'7 Draymond Green in the Playoffs didn't help his case with me...

Diego20
11-10-2015, 08:38 PM
Diaw > Gasol

TD > Gasol

Alridge > Gasol

Mikeanaro
11-10-2015, 08:41 PM
:cry Plis leave this forum.

Yuixafun
11-10-2015, 09:54 PM
So crazy that we missed out on Pau Gasol.

And then a year later nab Lamarcus Aldridge.

Which was the same type of skillset player, but more at the prime stage of his career and even better at the midrange.

MI21
11-10-2015, 11:31 PM
Gasol would have been a fine addition if Timmy hung them up but there is no comparison between having LMA/Duncan vs Gasol/Duncan...

Gasol irks me a little bit with his lack of aggressiveness when it matters too.

cjw
11-11-2015, 01:34 AM
Last night, he grabbed a key board on his own missed FT (down 2 to clippers) and got fouled. Proceeded to miss a FT. That team looks like a 45 win team in the West at best and will make it no more than 5 games in any series. I can't tell how much of Gasol looking bad is because of his own regression, and how much is from ZBo/Allen/lack of other wings to spread floor.

Combined with injured NO digging itself a huge hole, the West could be pretty bad outside of the top 5 vs. top 9 last year. Utah has shot out of the gate with a top 2 defense and positioning itself well for a berth. Lesson is to just stay out of the 4-5 matchup.

dweaver99027
11-11-2015, 11:50 AM
People forget that Marc Gasol is a top 3 defensive center in the NBA, in a slump or not. The fit with TD might have been more questionable, but Gasol being a pure Center would make him a better fit in a lineup with Diaw or West. I still like Aldridge better for the Spurs because we need the scoring, but it's not like Gasol would be a disaster here.

Kawhitstorm
11-11-2015, 02:31 PM
I wanted Aldridge on the Spurs, even though I'm not a fan of his game and I think he's overrated, he's a much better potential fit than Gasol for a team that needs a scoring punch more than additional defense/passing..

However, while I don't think Gasol would have been a great fit here with Tim on the roster, the talk of his demise is premature IMO..he looks bad, so far, but it's probably just a rough stretch on a dysfunctional team on the verge of implosion(and still playing liabilities like Randolph and Allen)..

Gasol is a system player b/c his best asset is his passing meanwhile LMA can play in any system b/c his best asset is scoring. Gasol is basically a giant version of Diaw whose impact will marginalized unless he plays in the right system. He would have fit in just fine in the Spurs system by playing Diaw's role w/ the starting line-up as long as Porker gave him the ball.:lol He's struggling right now b/c he's being asked to be a scorer b/c their perimeter players can't hit the side of the barn.

Imagine LMA playing all of his minutes w/ Porker rather than sharing the floor w/ the bench......that's what Gasol is dealing w/ at the moment. Besides his passing, he can set better picks than LMA & is a better post defender. He's also used to playing w/ a postup player in Z-Bo & is comfortable w/ the high-low action. The only issue would have been running pick-n-pops w/ Porker.:lol

Kawhitstorm
11-11-2015, 02:36 PM
:wakeup

Kawhitstorm
11-11-2015, 02:46 PM
Not sure why people act like he is only been underwhelming the first 8 games of this season...His slump started from early January for whatever reason..Watching him getting punked by 6'7 Draymond Green in the Playoffs didn't help his case with me...

He's a mediocre postup player for his size (similar to the current LMA), he gets most of his point on pick-n-pops (he's as good a mid-range shooter as LMA). LMA also got punked by Z-Bo thus they both didn't make a great case in the postseason:downspin:

I know Richie (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=29995) really wanted Marc. But I NEVER wanted him (and there are plenty of posts to show that). The Spurs really needed a PF, and Gasol was absolutely not going to be that. I am pretty interested in bringing in Pau for whatever cap space is available (it's not much) if Tim hangs them up, though. On a one-year deal, Old Gasol would be a nice bridge into the 2017 New Big Three (Kawhi, LMA and a max free agent) Era.

Might as well re-sign Tiago or make an offer sheet to Steve Adams b/c I can't imagine Pau/LMA playing together on defense:lol. If Pau is going to come off the bench to replace West then that would be awesome.

TD 21
11-11-2015, 06:06 PM
He's a mediocre postup player for his size (similar to the current LMA), he gets most of his point on pick-n-pops (he's as good a mid-range shooter as LMA). LMA also got punked by Z-Bo thus they both didn't make a great case in the postseason:downspin:

Might as well re-sign Tiago or make an offer sheet to Steve Adams b/c I can't imagine Pau/LMA playing together on defense:lol. If Pau is going to come off the bench to replace West then that would be awesome.

They more than likely will. Clearly, they didn't want to move him and he didn't want to leave. Considering the gaping hole they'll have in the middle in 1-2 years, plus his familiarity and how good a fit he'd be, it all adds up.

Even if all goes well with the Hawks, it doesn't make much sense for them to commit significant money to a player who can only play about 15 mpg (unless Horford develops into a legit three-point shooter) and by that time, they're probably hoping Tavares nails down backup center.