PDA

View Full Version : Manu: We're trying to be the best team we can be with Aldrige

ElNono
11-11-2015, 11:51 AM
We're trying to be the best team we can be with Aldrige
Manu Ginobili - http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1844263-estamos-viendo-como-ser-el-mejor-equipo-posible-con-aldridge

I think in general we've had a good start to the season. I do get the feeling we could've won one of the games we lost (Oklahoma City & Washington), because we lost them due to a couple of mistakes that shouldn't have happened, but oh well. But in general, those were competitive games and not impossible to lose, it's not those kind of games that you end up thinking back that you lost because you sleepwalked through them. In general we're doing good, we have a good record (5-2) and about or gameplay we know we had up and downs. At times we're playing well, but at times we're just not as good. We're very streaky right now, but that's relatively normal. We have to adjust things due to the arrival of LaMarcus (Aldrige), but not only because we added him to our team, and because he has to learn the system, but also because he alters the balance we had before. So we have to make him play, make him feel part of the action, and make sure he's comfortable. And at the same time everyone else has to give up a little. All that takes some time. Same happens with David West, when he comes in with the second unit. Let me repeat it's just a matter of everyone finding their place. The upside is enormous and considering that we're 5-2 with a lot of those games on the road, makes us optimists. Of course there's a lot of work still to be done.

That has to do with the fact that everyone knew the team wouldn't transform to being Aldrige-dependent. He had to adapt to us and logically, us to him. Now he's trying to find out when to give that extra pass we use a lot, when to attack the basket more... he's studying the options. LaMarcus is the destination of a lot of possessions, something we didn't do with Tiago [Splitter]. So, all those plays used to be for Tim. Now they're not all for Tim, and he has to share with LaMarcus. And everything changes, because now there's a player who's an offensive force and creates for others, whereas with Tiago we had a player that rolled well and played with spaces. The team's equilibrium changed a bit. And we're all trying to accommodate ourselves.

Even for Tony [Parker] things change, because he now has another player to feed the ball, because Tiago perhaps didn't ask the ball too much. But it has little to do with LaMarcus asking for the ball, but his sole presence means that the ball has to go through him. That's why, we're tying to see how we can be the best team we can be with Aldrige. He's so good and capable, you want to maximize the way you use him.

Personally, I feel much better than I thought I would feel for a start of the season. I'm playing the minutes I thought I would play, I feel good, healthy, shooting well, helping the team extend leads with that second unit and moving the ball well. I'm happy, I know it's early because it's just seven games, you have to be cautious, but that doesn't mean that I can't be happy with the team's present and also with my own performance so far.

I know Pop said I was managing the program, but that's because he exaggerates and was obviously kidding. What happened is that Pop thought we had agreed not to play back to back games. He proposed that, but I don't think I ever accepted. I understood his point of view and I thought it was logical, but there's moments where you can evaluate how you feel and I was coming off a game at 3PM the day before (against Boston Celtics), we arrived early to New York, I rested well, and that's why I thought there was no reason not to rest. Plus, this is a time where the team needs to get to know eachother, play a lot, coordinate rotations. That's why I thought it was important to play. Even if they were reduced minutes.

Pop tried to convince me not to play, but I told him no, and that's why he sent me to talk to the assistant coaches. Looks like I convinced them, that's why Pop laughed and said his assistants were cowards because they didn't tell me not to play... But the honest truth is that we talked at length, we debated, and I ended up playing. Pop was just feeling like making a few jokes.

To be clear, I want to play because I feel well and because of this adaptation process we're all undergoing together. For example, I'm also taking on different responsibilities, some of which I had previously, but now are more defined. Even if I understand that my role now is closer to that of a Point Guard, which I do when we walk in with the second unit, I can say my function is even realtive in that case. Because we enter to run and move the ball, where everybody touches it, and even at time Boris [Diaw] looks like the PG. We share the ball a lot, nobody has it for long, except the last possesion of quarters where we want to control the ball a bit more. But in reality we're all in the same situation where we don't want the ball to stick. And in my case, it helps I'm playing with Patty [Mills] who is a great shooter, so that helps me focus more on creation. He knows I'll be looking for him and I'm going to create for him. We have a good chemistry and it works well together. It's true I'm not playing strictly as a PG, but my role is much more of a creator than a finisher.

We heard from before the season started about candidates and all that, and the reality is that we're not thinking much about that. We're more focused in finding our roles in this new team. That the new guys are happy and that they can be the best version of themselves. Last season there was none of this, we just had to beat the mental challenge of being hungry again after 82 games and reach the Finals again. I think it was a different mental challenge. This time around the challenge is more technical-tactical, having to make a team out of this collection of players and feel comfortable in the process. Sometimes change is good, shake the team up a bit to rebuild some stuff. It helps, but I insist it will take an adaptation period and we're hoping it will be short.

And everybody has high expectations, we know our fans too. Even if we only played two games at home, we notice everything that's going on with the team, the people of San Antonio are expectant. You can tell they're excited, they know Aldrige is an All Star, he's an incredible player, and we have a very high ceiling. The people of San Antonio is very special, very positive. It's 15 years of a lot of success, very good teams, and that's why fans are motivated. But for the first time add a Free Agent of such caliber, it multiplies that excitement. That's why we're all very hopeful with what could happen this season.

Chinook
11-11-2015, 11:58 AM
Buen hecho, Nono. Muchas gracias.

TXstbobcat
11-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Gracias ElNono

MultiTroll
11-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Even for Tony [Parker] things change, because he now has another player to feed the ball, because Tiago perhaps didn't ask the ball too much.
Oh noes.
Even Tony Parker has to change? The Sacred Cow?
Oh noes.

MultiTroll
11-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the translation porkchop.
Good read.

RD2191
11-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Thanks OP.

spurraider21
11-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks ese

Robz4000
11-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Buen hecho, Nono. Muchas gracias.

Burrito taco gordidas ese

ElNono
11-11-2015, 12:27 PM
:toast

Chinook
11-11-2015, 12:28 PM
gordidas

Imagine they look something like this:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/030/1/9675739/il_570xN.620402331_6zgp.jpg

Robz4000
11-11-2015, 12:29 PM

I'd sport the fuck outta those tbh.

RD2191
11-11-2015, 12:31 PM

I need these in my life.

BatManu20
11-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Love Manu's write-ups. Thanks Nono :tu

Mouth is Bleeding
11-11-2015, 12:58 PM
Yup, these are always appreciated :toast

dweaver99027
11-11-2015, 12:59 PM
Pretty much my own evaluation of the team so far. Good to know.

benefactor
11-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks breh

Mikeanaro
11-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Thanks for taking the time Nono, I dont read canchallena because of gorditofacha.

buttsR4rebounding
11-11-2015, 01:09 PM

Chinook, casual Fridays?

loveforthegame
11-11-2015, 01:37 PM
Thanks. Good read. :tu

Beaverfuzz
11-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Gracias Cholo.

EVAY
11-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Thanks Nono. Always good to hear what Manu is thinking.

SAGirl
11-11-2015, 02:06 PM
Exactly what I said about Aldridge, they are still not using him optimally and it probably affects Tim more than anyone, since I have noticed Tim still pretty much does what he does and ends up participating in most plays whereas LMA is a spectator like Tiago in many possessions and sometimes for most of his time in the SL.

It is something that will take a lot more time. Also recognizes the games they lost they made many mistakes in closing them out.

Thanks for sharing Nono. Love Manu!!!

turb0time
11-11-2015, 02:17 PM
TY SENOR NONO!

TheMulletMan3000
11-11-2015, 02:20 PM
thanks ElNono

SpursforSix
11-11-2015, 02:22 PM
FIFM

Even for Tony [Parker] things change, because he now has another player to avoid feeding the ball, because Tiago perhaps didn't ask the ball too much. But it has little to do with LaMarcus asking for the ball, but his sole presence means that the ball has to go through him and now Tony has to ignore that. That's why, we're tying to see how we can be the best team we can be with Aldrige. He's so good and capable, you want to maximize the way you use him but now Tony has to pretend he's not there.

Proxy
11-11-2015, 02:36 PM

spurs10
11-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Gracias ElNono! :bobo

gambit1990
11-11-2015, 03:34 PM
love his writing.

daledondale
11-11-2015, 03:37 PM
Gracias Nono, amo a Manu. :flag:

wildbill2u
11-11-2015, 03:45 PM
The interesting thing about Manu is that he's the thinker on the team who is willing to share information lengthily about all the subjects about the team that we are interested in as fans. Not saying he has the best BB IQ (although I think he's at the top of the list) but he's the only one on the team who is ready and able to give us these insights.

siraulo23
11-11-2015, 03:47 PM
:tu

spurraider21
11-11-2015, 03:47 PM
im glad they're trying to be the best team they can be. quite reassuring

TDomination
11-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks ElNono! I love when Manu writes. You can tell he always writes from the heart.

HarlemHeat37
11-11-2015, 03:53 PM
The interesting thing about Manu is that he's the thinker on the team who is willing to share information lengthily about all the subjects about the team that we are interested in as fans. Not saying he has the best BB IQ (although I think he's at the top of the list) but he's the only one on the team who is ready and able to give us these insights.

Parker is really honest, as well..

International players tend to be more interesting and open from an interview standpoint, across the league, in comparison to their American counterparts, tbh..they aren't groomed to be robot slaves that are afraid to be attacked by the American media if they speak their minds:lol..

Americans love their boring cliches and repetitive press conferences and interviews..especially in the NBA and NFL, they love seeing niggas obeying their "superiors"..

hater
11-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Lol 5 games into the season and this guy is already patting himself in the back :lol

G-Dawgg
11-11-2015, 04:11 PM
Popovich needs to do a better job at utilizing Aldridge. Aldridge led the league in 2pt fg's attempted 3 years in a row and for him to be taking only 10 shots a game is not playing to his strengths. Aldridge is an elite scorer and 10 shots a game is not cutting it. He could easily be averaging 30 points a game if he shooting more. When Kawhi is on the bench the offense should run through Aldridge in my opinion. Popovich is clearly wasting a max contract level, mvp level talent. Why pay max for a player that you aren't going to make a focal point? David West alone could be doing what Aldridge is doing -taking 10 measley shots a game. They could have saved 20 million a year... Ridiculous.

Mr Bones
11-11-2015, 04:29 PM
:tu

BillMc
11-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Thanks ElNono

DarrinS
11-11-2015, 05:04 PM
Thanks Elnono

Kool Bob Love
11-11-2015, 05:09 PM
Lol 5 games into the season and this guy is already patting himself in the back :lol

TheGreatYacht
11-11-2015, 05:12 PM
Go espurs go, tengo hambre. Me voy hacer kon fleys

TheDoctor
11-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Thnx Nono :toast

Popovich needs to do a better job at utilizing Aldridge. Aldridge led the league in 2pt fg's attempted 3 years in a row and for him to be taking only 10 shots a game is not playing to his strengths. Aldridge is an elite scorer and 10 shots a game is not cutting it. He could easily be averaging 30 points a game if he shooting more. When Kawhi is on the bench the offense should run through Aldridge in my opinion. Popovich is clearly wasting a max contract level, mvp level talent. Why pay max for a player that you aren't going to make a focal point? David West alone could be doing what Aldridge is doing -taking 10 measley shots a game. They could have saved 20 million a year... Ridiculous.

They know they are under-utilizing LMA. Believe me, if the team's approach was to let LMA get his 30pts per night, in a new-to-him system, San Antonio's record would be backwards (2-5). They're slowly integrating him and his body language so far has been great.

If for some reason he did not understand what was happening, his body language would be VERY different.

TEXICAN
11-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Es todo mi rey, nice translation!

Mr. Body
11-11-2015, 05:42 PM
He's really defensive about talking the coaches into letting him play. Wonder if his fans were getting on their case about that.

SAGirl
11-11-2015, 05:47 PM
He's really defensive about talking the coaches into letting him play. Wonder if his fans were getting on their case about that.
I see it as him explaining what happened, because a really big deal was made by some press about it having to do with him and Pop not trusting Anderson.

Some went so far as to suggest the whole reason why Manu felt he needed to play was that he didn't trust Anderson and the rest of the bench at all without him. Manu doesn't mention Anderson, but you can see that he really goes into detail explaining why he really felt he needed to play, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with Anderson or Butler TBH.

pgardn
11-11-2015, 05:58 PM
Huge stuff.

This tells me Manu feels well and finds it a challenge to get the team working together. The new blood has got him excited. We can get another year out of him.

G-Dawgg
11-11-2015, 05:58 PM
Thnx Nono :toast

They know they are under-utilizing LMA. Believe me, if the team's approach was to let LMA get his 30pts per night, in a new-to-him system, San Antonio's record would be backwards (2-5). They're slowly integrating him and his body language so far has been great.

If for some reason he did not understand what was happening, his body language would be VERY different.

Then I think they should have worked more with him in the pre season to help make him more comfortable. All I'm saying is that they should make more of a concious effort to get him more shots. This is upto the coaching. And I think Popovich doesn't have a clue. He's never signed a new player of this magnitude so this is new territory for him to navigate. He likely doesn't want to sacrifice the team's chemistry to accomodate one new player, however a balance has to be reached and at some point he definately does have to look to help Aldrige integrate.

Mnky
11-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Thanks OP. Manu such a legend.

TD 21
11-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Parker is really honest, as well..

International players tend to be more interesting and open from an interview standpoint, across the league, in comparison to their American counterparts, tbh..they aren't groomed to be robot slaves that are afraid to be attacked by the American media if they speak their minds:lol..

Americans love their boring cliches and repetitive press conferences and interviews..especially in the NBA and NFL, they love seeing niggas obeying their "superiors"..

What's worse, Americans pretend to not like cliche nonsense, but the second anyone (particularly anyone "black" or mixed; the vast majority being too ignorant to either realize or acknowledge the difference, hence Obama being the "first black president") says anything outside of that, it's blown out of proportion.

I don't blame professional athletes for sticking to the script 99% of the time, particularly in this era, with social media and the general volume and intensity of sports coverage.

HarlemHeat37
11-11-2015, 06:32 PM
^ I fully agree, I would do the same if I was a professional athlete..there's literally no upside in saying anything interesting if you're an American pro athlete, or even a college athlete..partly because of fan backlash, but also due to media distrust, especially in today's environment of 24/7 coverage and politically correctness..

ElNono
11-11-2015, 07:04 PM

There was an article in the same newspaper about Pop's comments during the Knicks game, which were clearly in jest for any Spurs fan that knows anything about the team. But back in Argentina you have more casual readers, so he was basically explaining what really happened.

tholdren
11-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Manu = best spur ever

milkyway21
11-11-2015, 07:18 PM
The unselfishness of Manu :tu

dabom
11-11-2015, 07:40 PM
Best pg on the Spurs.

Kool Bob Love
11-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Best pg on the Spurs.

https://nononsensenba.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/hi-res-74633410-finals-mvp-tony-parker-the-san-antonio-spurs-celebrates_crop_north.jpg

RD2191
11-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Best pg on the Spurs.

Easily. Always has been and will be until he retires.

100%duncan
11-11-2015, 07:55 PM
Ty puto

Russo21
11-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Good read mate thank you. I hope Manu becomes an assistant coach or mentor after he retires. I love having him around as a fan and he is so good for his team mates, very high BBIQ as you all know.

will_spurs
11-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Thanks for sharing, always an interesting read.

LMA didn't come here to average 25ppg. It's pretty clear from Woj's article (and what Riley told LMA) that being a Spur means buying into the system and doing whatever it takes to win.

daledondale
11-12-2015, 09:22 AM
https://nononsensenba.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/hi-res-74633410-finals-mvp-tony-parker-the-san-antonio-spurs-celebrates_crop_north.jpg
Hey Kool, can i ask you something?. You were a Manu fan in the past, i remember some of your posts. When and why do you starting to hate manu and love Parker?. I even remember you defending manu after 2013 finals.

itzkarl813
11-12-2015, 09:55 AM
:bobo Good read! Thanks for the translation.

Yuixafun
11-12-2015, 12:06 PM
You know it's ok if LMA takes 5 shots less per game... if that is translating into him playing tougher defense and collecting boards and assists.

We have plenty of scorers.

LMA had to take that many shots in Portland... but maybe he's not just an elite scorer, but an elite basketball player. Don't be fooled into less PPG meaning he is decreasing his value.

kaji157
11-13-2015, 05:21 PM
You know it's ok if LMA takes 5 shots less per game... if that is translating into him playing tougher defense and collecting boards and assists.

We have plenty of scorers.

LMA had to take that many shots in Portland... but maybe he's not just an elite scorer, but an elite basketball player. Don't be fooled into less PPG meaning he is decreasing his value.

For sure LaMarcus was already a great scorer, but if he is to be the cornerstone of the franchise as Manu and Tim have been (Parker will continue for some years) he has to become more than that. He has to become a reliable two way player and a complete offensive player.

I think he already has realised that sharing moments with our two leaders and is leaning towards becoming a complete player. I would argue with many of the media members about how he sees the Spurs as a way to be pushed to surpass himself.

Kawhi was on the LA recruiting comitee and i am pretty sure he emphasised how pop and the team pushed him to become what he is today.

SAGirl
11-13-2015, 06:26 PM
For sure LaMarcus was already a great scorer, but if he is to be the cornerstone of the franchise as Manu and Tim have been (Parker will continue for some years) he has to become more than that. He has to become a reliable two way player and a complete offensive player.

I think he already has realised that sharing moments with our two leaders and is leaning towards becoming a complete player. I would argue with many of the media members about how he sees the Spurs as a way to be pushed to surpass himself.

Kawhi was on the LA recruiting comitee and i am pretty sure he emphasised how pop and the team pushed him to become what he is today.
Good point.
He is showing more hustle/defense than we have previously seen from him and this defensive system and rotations are new for him. I think he should improve on that end too.