PDA

View Full Version : Contrast Fl. Keys Response with That of New Orleans

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Just thought this was interesting in the whole discussion of state vs. federal responsibility in evacs, and Nagin screwing the pooch on the mandatory evacs...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/18/tropical.weather/index.html

After the National Hurricane Center issued a hurricane watch for the Florida Keys, mandatory evacuations of non-residents south of the Seven Mile Bridge in the lower Keys began at noon Sunday, the Florida Emergency Operations Center said.

So, we're three days out from this thing hitting the Keys, and Florida is already getting all the tourists out. Once they are out, mandatory evacs will begin for the residents.

The Keys are already under a voluntary evacuation for residents.

THREE DAYS OUT, they are doing this. Meanwhile, Nagin waited until 20 hours before landfall. But it's all Bush's fault

Trainwreck2100
09-18-2005, 01:27 PM
That's not proportional though.

ChumpDumper
09-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Gee, do you think state officials may be playing things safe after Katrina?

MannyIsGod
09-18-2005, 01:34 PM
The forcasting situations are very different. Don't compare apples and oranges (especially after the oranges have gone bad).

bigzak25
09-18-2005, 01:44 PM
looks like lesson learned...

funny thing though, seems alot of residents of new orleans could have got the fuck out too, but since water never raised passed curb level, nobody had a fuckin clue...i love monday morning qb's. :tu

carry on....

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-18-2005, 01:45 PM
This isn't a case of being overly cautious. This is how the Keys always deals with hurricanes.

bigzak25
09-18-2005, 01:46 PM
could also be attributed to the fact that there is a bridge in and a bridge out and nothing else...wise to be overly cautious in that case....

ChumpDumper
09-18-2005, 02:01 PM
They also have a real history of being wiped out by hurricanes.

Now NOLA does too.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-18-2005, 02:02 PM
could also be attributed to the fact that there is a bridge in and a bridge out and nothing else...wise to be overly cautious in that case....

Considering all NO has is I-10, I-12, and the Causeway, you could say the same.

They also have a real history of being wiped out by hurricanes.

Now NOLA does too.

Camille came close enough for them to get the point. They also got hit by Betsy. At some point common sense needs to apply, instead of it being everyone else's fault you had your head up your ass.

bigzak25
09-18-2005, 02:03 PM
guarantee the next hurricane that has new orleans in it's sights, the people will be prepared...

and lining up to loot the walmarts VERY early...

'i'm gettin me a vcr this time muthafucka' :p

ChumpDumper
09-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Camille came close enough for them to get the point. They also got hit by Betsy.Obviously not close enough.
At some point common sense needs to apply, instead of it being everyone else's fault you had your head up your ass.So, don't rely on the government to tell you the proper course of action.

Sound advice.

MannyIsGod
09-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Population

Monroe County, Florida Keys Population from Key Largo to Key West is approximately 79,978

Populatin of NOLA metro:
1.5 million

Do I need to say more or can you put the pieces together?

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-18-2005, 02:45 PM
I can put the pieces together. The Keys have roughly 1/13th of the population of the the New Orleans metro area, and they're already getting the fuck out of there 2-3 days before it hits (depending on which model you subscribe to).

Meanwhile Nagin and Blanco sat around until 20 hours before it hit before they said get out now.

Oh, and the Keys actually are taking care of their visitors (tourists) first, while NO said "you're on your own, hope your hotel holds up."

MannyIsGod
09-18-2005, 02:50 PM
There were volunatary evacuations up for days before the storm came onshore AHF, just like here. But the logistics of moving the people out of the Keys and the logistics of moving New Orleans are really fucking different, so stop trying to make something out of nothing.

It's fucking dumb, and quite frankly and so sick and tired of your use of half facts to prove a point (and usually a stupid one at that). You do it in threads like this, threads attacking media outlets, etc etc. Remember when you blasted CNN for running a ad then never showed up in the thread again when it was shown Fox News was running the same anti Roberts spot?

This isn't even a voluntary evacuation. They are moving the tourists out. Well thats great, but trying to compare that to the time when Nagin ordered a mandatory evacuation is just fucking stupid. So, compare away!

MannyIsGod
09-18-2005, 02:53 PM
On Saturday at 7 p.m., the Hurricane Center placed the storm 360 miles southeast of the mouth of the Mississippi River, with winds of 115 mph. The forecast projected the storm sweeping directly over the city.

The Hurricane Center posted a hurricane warning from Morgan City to the Alabmama-Florida line.

President Bush declared a state of emergency in Louisiana, authorizing federal emergency management officials to release federal aid and coordinate disaster relief efforts.

By mid-afternoon, officials in Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, Lafourche, Terrebonne and Jefferson parishes had called for voluntary or mandatory evacuations.

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin followed at 5 p.m., issuing a voluntary evacuation.
http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-4/1125213007249320.xml

20 hours huh?

Let me know when the Keys issue their mandatory evac.

exstatic
09-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Considering all NO has is I-10, I-12, and the Causeway, you could say the same.

Uh, no. That's 3 major 4+ laners, and if you throw in US 90, that makes 4. And then there are all of the smaller roads that could be used. There is one fucking 2 lane road in and out of the keys...PERIOD.

Considering the cost of living or vacationing in the keys, I'd venture to say that the evacuees have the means to leave, as well. That wasn't the case in NO.

MannyIsGod
09-18-2005, 03:01 PM
This comparison is beyond stupid.

Vashner
09-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Yea this is a stupid comparison..

Put Miami under 6 feet of water for 3 weeks.... then we will talk...

Besides... Gay's run faster hahhahaha (just a Key's joke chill**)

MannyIsGod
09-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Well, still no evac order in the Keys. So much for a better response.

Florida Keys residents should seriously consider evacuating tonight. While Rita is still a modest tropical storm, I don't like what I see at all from the latest hurricane hunter report. They found a fairly high pressure, 1004 mb, but flight level winds at 5000 feet were already up to 67 knots-- hurricane force--and a 40% complete eyewall has formed. While the odds are considerably against Rita becoming a Category 3 hurricane by the time it moves through the Keys, it is certainly possible. I'd give it a 10% chance of happening, and if I lived in the Keys, I wouldn't risk staying for that 10% chance. The sudden intensification is happening in the face of about 5 - 10 knots of shear, which one can see impacting the SW side of the storm on satellite imagery. The outflow at upper levels is resricted there, but looking VERY impressive on the north side. Rita seems intent on becoming a Category 1 hurricane Monday, and will probably be a Category 1 or 2 hurricane when it moves through the Keys Monday night. The Keys can handle a Category 2 hurricane--barely.

The Keys take a full 72 hours to evacuate, and now that New Orleans has been taken out by Katrina, the Keys represent the number one most vulnerable area in the U.S. for serious loss of life from a hurricane strike. Even though the evacuation order has already been given for visitors and tourists, not everyone will be able to make it out if Rita suddenly intensifies tomorrow to a Category 3 status.

The nighmare scenario is what happened during the Great Labor Day Hurricane of 1935, which intensified from a tropical storm with 70 mph winds to a Category 5 hurricane with 160 mph winds in just 42 hours as it approached the Keys. Over 400 Keys residents died in the ensuing disaster.

So, if I lived in the Keys, I would start packing my bags now. Hurricane intensity forecasts are not reliable. I would wait until 11:00 tonight and see what the Hurricane Center has to say, and if they also don't like the looks of this storm, I'd hit the road. If you decide not to go, be sure to take another look very early tomorrow morning, after the 5am advisory comes out, and be ready to hit the road early in the morning. Better to be horribly inconvenienced than dead.

Jeff Masters