PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Prime Bowen vs Prime Curry

MultiTroll
11-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Other prime defenders.
How would Curry do vs them?
Not saying he is not a great shooter, he is.
Since the GOAT nonsense has been brought up.

Not the snoozefest Curry faced in last years playoffs. :rolleyes

Cry Havoc
11-13-2015, 01:17 PM
I actually think Kawhi Leonard is a better defender than Bowen was.

MultiTroll
11-13-2015, 01:27 PM
yes looking ahead will Pop put Kaw on Curry?

Chef Curry
11-13-2015, 01:28 PM
:lmao

11-13-2015, 01:30 PM
Bowen got lit up by great scorers many times in the 2000s. Kawhi >>>

~O~
11-13-2015, 02:05 PM
You guys need to realize that stopping curry...is dependent on team defense. They'll run him through screens, curls, backdoor plays, baseline cuts, horns, etc. to get him open....and the thing is...he makes the other all-star caliber players around him look average. Curry is a POINT GUARD...the thing people keep forgetting because his scoring ability washes it out of their mind. He's elite one at that. The Warriors can defer to distribution if they have to Who's going to guard his other teammates when he defer's to them?

This is why its going to be a team defense issue. You gotta worry about the Warriors..not just curry. Curry is in the spotlight but Draymond green quietly puts up 20 7 10 on people without it being hightlighted at all. Klay thompson has even shot better than him or just about the same percentage.

Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Barnes, and Iggy; they really don't have to shoot well if Curry is making the most out of their possessions. They see him in practice more than anyone..so..they're more confident than anyone of what Curry is capable of.

I looked at the stats...and the rest of their guys are actually shooting a respectable percentage. It just that Curry shooting 53% on the season trumps what everyone else on the team is doing or even capable of.

Harrison Barnes is probably their worst drop off this season. Specifically in three point percentage.

Curry is just a face of a multi headed dragon.

~O~
11-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Also...WHat the SPurs strive the most at is team defense. Mills, Leonard, Diaw and Splitters rotations were critical in the finals against miami. Everyone else on the Spurs knew what to do. Tony Parker would get burnt most of the time however. Who was there to save his ass? Leonard.

Especially the patented corner hammer that the Heat ran through LeBron for Ray Allen and Mike Miller.

ambchang
11-13-2015, 02:15 PM
Bowen guarded Nash fine, and Curry is a better shooting version of Nash, with less court vision, so I think Bowen will hold up OK.

Kawhi will be chewed up and spit out by Curry. Green is the guy who should be guarding Curry, stick Kawhi on Thompson or Green.

MultiTroll
11-13-2015, 02:30 PM
You guys need to realize that stopping curry...is dependent on team defense.
I meant to put that in the OP.
Thank you.

Killakobe81
11-13-2015, 02:33 PM

Yep. Bowen was great but considering Kiwi has been effective with pussified rules ...plus he has been effective vs LeBron. Kobe may be arguably a better offensive player (scorer) but LeBron os s mini Shaq with a higher skillset. And Kiwi holds his own ...

daslicer
11-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Bowen guarded Nash fine, and Curry is a better shooting version of Nash, with less court vision, so I think Bowen will hold up OK.

Kawhi will be chewed up and spit out by Curry. Green is the guy who should be guarding Curry, stick Kawhi on Thompson or Green.

This Curry is a Nash type of player except with better scoring abilities. Bowen was great like you said at guarding Nash so I believe he would be able to slow down Curry. People also have to factor in is Bowen was great at getting underneath guys skin. In my eyes the only guy who was better at it was Dennis Rodman. That to me was one of the underrated intangibles Bowen brought to the table was the ability to be dirty physically and push your buttons. After a few kicks and getting his legs tangled up with Bowen Curry would start going crazy.

Mitch
11-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Bowen wouldn't need to defend Curry, he'd just stick his feet under curry every time he went for a jump shot and eventually injure him.

~O~
11-13-2015, 02:49 PM
You know, I went off topic anyway but made legit points.

Who was there with Bowen.....

Michael Finley(Green), Oberto(Splitter, Nesterovic), Thomas(Diaw, Horry), Mason(Leonard, Bowen, Turkoglu), George Hill(Mills,Vaughn, Van Exel, Udrih), Barry(Bellinelli, Kerr), Bonner(Mohammad, Marks).

These players role are almost interchangeable throughout the half decades of Spurs rosters. Truly, I don't remember these spurs games that close to factor in how much of defensive factor most of these players were. I was like...............12 in those years. What the fuck did I give about stats?! I was watching Digimon and shit.

Kawhitstorm
11-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Curry was bottled up before Delly fell victim to dehydration.

DMC
11-13-2015, 02:58 PM
You can beat the Warriors by moving the ball. Make Curry work on defense, make his team work. Then you have to make him take contested shots. Unfortunately that team has a lot of other scoring options, however you can beat them if you force them to play at your pace, and don't get caught up in Tony vs Steph games (Tony used to seem easily lured into PG contests). You'll need a PG who can defend, because Tony can't defend as well as he once did (never was a fortress). That means Tony is lagging behind the cutter all the time.

Or just sweep the leg.

Killakobe81
11-13-2015, 03:11 PM
This Curry is a Nash type of player except with better scoring abilities. Bowen was great like you said at guarding Nash so I believe he would be able to slow down Curry. People also have to factor in is Bowen was great at getting underneath guys skin. In my eyes the only guy who was better at it was Dennis Rodman. That to me was one of the underrated intangibles Bowen brought to the table was the ability to be dirty physically and push your buttons. After a few kicks and getting his legs tangled up with Bowen Curry would start going crazy.

y'all crazy. IF prime Bowen had to deal with today's rules he would foul out. Kiwi is the better defender even if Bowen was better at the dirty stuff ...

daslicer
11-13-2015, 04:35 PM
y'all crazy. IF prime Bowen had to deal with today's rules he would foul out. Kiwi is the better defender even if Bowen was better at the dirty stuff ...

Today's rules that's very laughable since the NBA got rid of hand checking after '99. You should know this considering the NBA did this immediately after the spurs won their first title to help the Lakers. They also changed the rules a lot during the first 2 years of the '00s but afterwards the NBA rules have been pretty much the same. Bowen was on 3 championship teams under these current rules. So its pretty stupid to say Bowen would not be able to play today since he was effective under these current NBA rules. Kawhi can be a better defensive player than Bowen but he isn't there yet. For example prime Bowen could guard PG's and quick small 2 guards these are the type of players that still at times give Kawhi problems. Prime Bowen would have been able to lock up Chris Paul in last year's playoffs something Kawhi couldn't do. Kawhi also tends to have games every now and then where scrubs will go off on him like Matt Barnes in the playoffs and Otto Porter this year in the regular season. Bowen did get lit up every now and then but I can't remember games where scrub players went off on him. This is something Kawhi also has to work on in the sense that he can't lose defensive focus even when guarding scrub players.

TrainOfThought5
11-13-2015, 04:36 PM

What rule has been implemented since Bowen was shutting down Teams best players in 05-08?

daslicer
11-13-2015, 04:42 PM
You know, I went off topic anyway but made legit points.

Who was there with Bowen.....

Michael Finley(Green), Oberto(Splitter, Nesterovic), Thomas(Diaw, Horry), Mason(Leonard, Bowen, Turkoglu), George Hill(Mills,Vaughn, Van Exel, Udrih), Barry(Bellinelli, Kerr), Bonner(Mohammad, Marks).

These players role are almost interchangeable throughout the half decades of Spurs rosters. Truly, I don't remember these spurs games that close to factor in how much of defensive factor most of these players were. I was like...............12 in those years. What the fuck did I give about stats?! I was watching Digimon and shit.

Bowen and Duncan were elite defensive players during that time period. Both of them made the all nba first defensive teams. Outside of those 2 Manu was an above average defensive player. Horry in spurts was an above average defender.The rest of the team's defenders were just average at best. The strategy was that if you couldn't stay in front of your man was then to funnel your guy into the paint to deal with Duncan/Rasho-Nazr-Oberto.

Cry Havoc
11-13-2015, 08:12 PM

What? Nash is literally a poor man's Curry in almost every single aspect. Curry is a ridiculous passer. The only thing Nash is close to him in is passing, where he holds a slight edge. Curry is better at everything else by a healthy margin.

HarlemHeat37
11-13-2015, 08:17 PM
^^ "poor man's" is ridiculous hyperbole, tbh..Curry is definitely better than Nash, but "poor man" is a huge stretch..

But ya, Bowen would probably shatter Curry's ankles within a quarter, realistically..it's the only chance he would have:lol..

Venti Quattro
11-13-2015, 08:20 PM
Curry doesn't try to end careers by injuring opposing players

Buddy Mignon
11-13-2015, 08:24 PM
Bowen got lit up by great scorers many times in the 2000s. Kawhi >>>

Kiwi got lit up by Barnes

FkLA
11-13-2015, 08:32 PM
You guys need to realize that stopping curry...is dependent on team defense. They'll run him through screens, curls, backdoor plays, baseline cuts, horns, etc. to get him open....and the thing is...he makes the other all-star caliber players around him look average. Curry is a POINT GUARD...the thing people keep forgetting because his scoring ability washes it out of their mind. He's elite one at that. The Warriors can defer to distribution if they have to Who's going to guard his other teammates when he defer's to them?

This is why its going to be a team defense issue. You gotta worry about the Warriors..not just curry. Curry is in the spotlight but Draymond green quietly puts up 20 7 10 on people without it being hightlighted at all. Klay thompson has even shot better than him or just about the same percentage.

Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Barnes, and Iggy; they really don't have to shoot well if Curry is making the most out of their possessions. They see him in practice more than anyone..so..they're more confident than anyone of what Curry is capable of.

I looked at the stats...and the rest of their guys are actually shooting a respectable percentage. It just that Curry shooting 53% on the season trumps what everyone else on the team is doing or even capable of.

Harrison Barnes is probably their worst drop off this season. Specifically in three point percentage.

Curry is just a face of a multi headed dragon.

Klay Thompson sucks. Atleast relative to his contract and the perception people have of him. He's a glorified 3&D player.

Cry Havoc
11-13-2015, 08:39 PM
^^ "poor man's" is ridiculous hyperbole, tbh..Curry is definitely better than Nash, but "poor man" is a huge stretch..

But ya, Bowen would probably shatter Curry's ankles within a quarter, realistically..it's the only chance he would have:lol..

So even though Bowen did a good job on Nash, and you're saying Curry would light him up, me stating there's a pretty large difference between Nash and Curry is a stretch?

daslicer
11-13-2015, 08:51 PM
What? Nash is literally a poor man's Curry in almost every single aspect. Curry is a ridiculous passer. The only thing Nash is close to him in is passing, where he holds a slight edge. Curry is better at everything else by a healthy margin.

Nash had better passing skills and court vision while Curry has better scoring abilities.They are both very similar players except Curry's unique offensive game puts him on another level than Nash.

Cry Havoc
11-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Nash had better passing skills and court vision while Curry has better scoring abilities.They are both very similar players except Curry's unique offensive game puts him on another level than Nash.

Nash was one of the worst defenders in the league.

Curry has become a good if not very good defender.

Curry is much more aggressive on offense. They have somewhat similar skillsets, but do not play the same type of game at all.