PDA

View Full Version : Simmons Recalled From Dleague

Spurs9
11-14-2015, 03:28 PM
Gonna take over tonights game tbh

TXstbobcat
11-14-2015, 03:39 PM
Could get some minutes against Philli with Leonard and Manu out.

wildcardX
11-14-2015, 03:46 PM
It would be nice to see one of the 3rd string players step up and do well against the Sixers.

Russ
11-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Simmons may be the athletic wing they need.

They'll probably give him every opportunity to succeed.

It's hard to get that stellar Summer League performance out of your mind . . .

JeffDuncan
11-14-2015, 03:55 PM
The notice about Simmons being recalled is from the Spurs on Twitter, by the way.

cjw
11-14-2015, 05:52 PM
Dressing 13 guys. Nothing out of the ordinary. He probably gets garbage time minutes if any.

ElNono
11-14-2015, 06:14 PM
NBA = fu:lolked

Lostwingman
11-14-2015, 06:38 PM
Must watch game tbh

SAGirl
11-14-2015, 08:34 PM
:flag:
Go Simmons Go!!!

Spurtacular
11-14-2015, 08:44 PM
He didn't look very good in the Spurs system before; he compounded that with boneheaded plays. There's some potential though.

JeffDuncan
11-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Simmons in the box score.

Played 8:31. 2 pts on 2 of 2 free throws. No field goal attempts. 2 total rebounds, 1 off and 1 def. 2 assists. 1 steal. No turnovers.

ChumpDumper
11-15-2015, 01:48 PM
He looked more comfortable out there; maybe the pressure of making the team is off (Jimmer cancer factor).

SAGirl
11-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Simmons in the box score.

Played 8:31. 2 pts on 2 of 2 free throws. No field goal attempts. 2 total rebounds, 1 off and 1 def. 2 assists. 1 steal. No turnovers.
He had good hustle (the 2 steals show it) and was better handling the ball. I noticed he didn't run PnR, but took Staukas or some other off the dribble a couple of times. He seems to be getting a hang of his own capabilities. For sure he can pass the ball well. I like him, and I am encouraged by signs he's getting better.

sasaint
11-15-2015, 04:03 PM
He had good hustle (the 2 steals show it) and was better handling the ball. I noticed he didn't run PnR, but took Staukas or some other off the dribble a couple of times. He seems to be getting a hang of his own capabilities. For sure he can pass the ball well. I like him, and I am encouraged by signs he's getting better.

Good hustle, but even better control and judgment. Some guys are just "attackers" by nature. I think that describes Simmons. He just wants to be aggressive with the ball. So it is hard for him to just "move the ball." But against the Sixers he resisted that natural urge. Instead of forcing the action into double-teams or poor positioning on the floor he concentrated on being a "cog" and just moving the ball. I think he showed considerable mental maturity over his pre-season appearances, and I am very encouraged. To successfully fit into the Spurs system, above all else players have to learn to "let the game come to them." Once he develops that discipline and the vision/awareness that comes with it, he will be better able to see his legitimate opportunities to be aggressive without forcing himself into situations that cause turnovers.

SAGirl
11-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Good hustle, but even better control and judgment. Some guys are just "attackers" by nature. I think that describes Simmons. He just wants to be aggressive with the ball. So it is hard for him to just "move the ball." But against the Sixers he resisted that natural urge. Instead of forcing the action into double-teams or poor positioning on the floor he concentrated on being a "cog" and just moving the ball. I think he showed considerable mental maturity over his pre-season appearances, and I am very encouraged. To successfully fit into the Spurs system, above all else players have to learn to "let the game come to them." Once he develops that discipline and the vision/awareness that comes with it, he will be better able to see his legitimate opportunities to be aggressive without forcing himself into situations that cause turnovers.
Agreed, he was impactful without trying to do too much. Look forward to seeing him develop. It's too bad all our games have lately been close games so we haven't seen much of the younger guys.

Chinook
11-15-2015, 07:19 PM
He looked calmer last night, but I still think he kinda sucked. I appreciated that he made the easy pass, but creating for him was an adventure to say the least.

sasaint
11-15-2015, 07:26 PM
Agreed, he was impactful without trying to do too much. Look forward to seeing him develop. It's too bad all our games have lately been close games so we haven't seen much of the younger guys.

In my memory we have never had to integrate so many players into the team framework. But this season we have to integrate a bunch of new faces on several levels. First we have to integrate LMA into the first unit. Then we have to integrate West and Butler/Kyle into the second unit. Finally we have to integrate McCallum, Boban and possibly Simmons into the system. We have not faced the task of integrating so important a piece as LMA since Timmy came to town. The importance of acclimating first, LMA, and second, West into the team has kind of pushed the other players back.

ceperez
11-15-2015, 08:12 PM
The good sign is that at the end of the quarter, Simmons was given the opportunity to dribble the ball and make the final play.

Just like what Manu always does at the end of quarters. That is a very big role to play for a rookie.

Yuixafun
11-15-2015, 10:18 PM
The good sign is that at the end of the quarter, Simmons was given the opportunity to dribble the ball and make the final play.

Just like what Manu always does at the end of quarters. That is a very big role to play for a rookie.

Ray had a chance to as well... I believe he made driving layup off the left side from a pick.

Darius McCrary
11-16-2015, 01:45 AM
He can get to into the lane and make things happen.

This team needs that.

Yuixafun
11-16-2015, 07:34 AM
Manu was 25 year old rookie once upon a time

Rito3d30
11-16-2015, 11:42 AM
His ball handling skills need to improve

Mel_13
11-16-2015, 04:34 PM
SAN ANTONIO (November 16, 2015) - The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have assigned forward Jonathon Simmons to the Austin Spurs of the NBA Development League.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/spurs-assign-jonathon-simmons-austin-spurs-0

cjw
11-16-2015, 04:37 PM
That means at least one of Manu or Kawhi is playing tonight, if not both (both were already probable). Now it's just a tossup as to whether Bonner or Bojan needs to get their suit from the dry cleaners.

ceperez
11-16-2015, 04:42 PM
SAN ANTONIO (November 16, 2015) - The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have assigned forward Jonathon Simmons to the Austin Spurs of the NBA Development League.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/spurs-assign-jonathon-simmons-austin-spurs-0

I thought he was a guard?

Mel_13
11-16-2015, 04:48 PM
I thought he was a guard?

http://www.nba.com/spurs/roster

JeffDuncan
11-16-2015, 05:03 PM
The SA Spurs roster says guard-forward.

The Austin spurs roster says guard. http://austin.dleague.nba.com/

Just don't call him a center, or a shortstop, and it's cool.

ChumpDumper
11-16-2015, 05:30 PM
They play tomorrow at 11AM CST if you want to catch the game live.

http://dleague.nba.com/games/20151117/GRDAUS/

ChumpDumper
11-17-2015, 12:04 PM
Simmons is starting and both Hawks have been recalled, so all the prospects should get some good run.

Cotton
Simmons
Eddie
Thomas
Lalanne

to start

silverblackfan
11-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Thanks Op!