PDA

View Full Version : Man in the High Castle - new series

SpursforSix
11-16-2015, 11:27 AM
This looks damn good. Based on Philip Dick book.

Anyone started this?

zzayf9GpXCI

Blake
11-16-2015, 11:48 AM
Lol the girl doing the karate move on her teacher was cheesy.

I like the what if Hitler conquered the US angle tho. I'll check it out.

sidebar: the Amazon video streaming set up sucks very very badly compared to Netflix.

SpursforSix
11-16-2015, 11:51 AM

sidebar: the Amazon video streaming set up sucks very very badly compared to Netflix.

from what standpoint? just the setup?
I've been pretty happy with the FireTV. Amazon has put out some pretty good shows as well.

DD
11-16-2015, 12:09 PM
That was a sweet flag...adding it to my christmas list

Blake
11-16-2015, 12:13 PM
from what standpoint? just the setup?
I've been pretty happy with the FireTV. Amazon has put out some pretty good shows as well.

Yeah the set up. It's so much easier to flip through movies/shows on Netflix. It's almost a chore to browse Amazon flicks.

SpursforSix
11-16-2015, 12:17 PM
Yeah the set up. It's so much easier to flip through movies/shows on Netflix. It's almost a chore to browse Amazon flicks.

yeah...that's even a problem on the Fire TV and the Amazon app we have on another TV. It seems like all the available shows or movies aren't a part of the pop up menu and you've got to do a search.
And the order is pretty random.

I think that's why I miss Blockbuster to a degree. You can walk down the aisle and browse 100 movies much quicker than online.

Avante
11-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Time to finally read the book, it's been in my library for ages.

DMX7
11-16-2015, 01:29 PM
I saw the first episode (part of the free preview). It looked good, but not good enough to make me actually pay for it.

When the old Top Gear crew gets their new show going, then maybe I'll subscribe to Amazon Prime.

DMX7
11-16-2015, 01:31 PM

It's definitely an interesting angle, but Hitler would not have allowed Japan to have the West Coast. Eventually he would have gone to war with them too. If he thinks Germans are the master race, I don't think he'd be happy sharing anything with the Japanese people.

LaMarcus Bryant
11-16-2015, 02:41 PM
It's definitely an interesting angle, but Hitler would not have allowed Japan to have the West Coast. Eventually he would have gone to war with them too. If he thinks Germans are the master race, I don't think he'd be happy sharing anything with the Japanese people.

Don't over think it just roll with the premise.
It's Philip K Dick not Melville

SnakeBoy
11-16-2015, 03:32 PM

smh

DMX7
11-16-2015, 03:39 PM
smh

why? I'm just saying...

SnakeBoy
11-16-2015, 03:48 PM
why? I'm just saying...

It's a show. No need to debate what Hitler would have really done if he conquered the world because he didn't.

DMX7
11-16-2015, 03:58 PM
It's a show. No need to debate what Hitler would have really done if he conquered the world because he didn't.

No need to, but the shows premise makes you ponder "what if", so may as well think it through... if only for minor amusement.

FkLA
11-28-2015, 11:38 PM
Started watching this. The premise drew me in.

Visually it's top notch and the storyline so far is ok (just finished Ep. 3) but not sure about the acting tbh.

Blake
11-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Yeah got through the pilot and episode 1.

Rufus Sewell is a very underrated actor, imo. Perfect for that Nazi part.

Backdrop is very cool. The plot is a bit murky but I'm thinking it'll pick up soon.

Blake
11-30-2015, 10:51 AM
No need to, but the shows premise makes you ponder "what if", so may as well think it through... if only for minor amusement.

They make it pretty clear the alliance between the Japanese and Germans is uneasy. There's a neutral territory down the Rocky Mountain line that's kind of like the Wild West of the 1800s.

DMX7
11-30-2015, 11:25 AM
They make it pretty clear the alliance between the Japanese and Germans is uneasy. There's a neutral territory down the Rocky Mountain line that's kind of like the Wild West of the 1800s.

I only saw the first episode. I still don't think they would have been able to hold together any alliance after the Allied powers were defeated. When you believe you're the master race, it's hard to share territory.

FkLA
12-01-2015, 12:12 AM
Allright show and I'll watch Season 2 but it could've been so much better. The premise and the world they have created is amazing but the acting and writing has really let the show down imo...the Obergruppenfuher, Inspector Kido, and the trade minister are really the only actors that are worth a shit. The main characters are subpar and there are a lot of ridiculous, unrealistic decisions made by characters throughout the show.

Kinda wish someone else would've picked up this show. Had so much potential.

leemajors
12-01-2015, 07:43 AM
Allright show and I'll watch Season 2 but it could've been so much better. The premise and the world they have created is amazing but the acting and writing has really let the show down imo...the Obergruppenfuher, Inspector Kido, and the trade minister are really the only actors that are worth a shit. The main characters are subpar and there are a lot of ridiculous, unrealistic decisions made by characters throughout the show.

I had heard the acting was meh, that sucks. Source material is awesome, too bad the writing didn't live up to it.

Blake
12-01-2015, 08:32 AM
The main characters are subpar and there are a lot of ridiculous, unrealistic decisions made by characters throughout the show.

Yeah, realistically they would have beat the shit out of the Marshall when they had the chance and dumped him in the river with the other guy.

Spurminator
12-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Two episodes in, it's pretty flat. I hear it gets much better in the second half of the season so I'll stick with it, but there is so much other good TV on right now that it's hard to be patient.

Blake
12-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Two episodes in, it's pretty flat. I hear it gets much better in the second half of the season so I'll stick with it, but there is so much other good TV on right now that it's hard to be patient.

The Marshall livens things up a bit, but I think they need to give the protagonists some better direction, give them purpose....and then put in some real bad guys that try to stop them.......I dunno....but yeah, it's flat and it doesn't have to be with this much set up to work with

FkLA
12-01-2015, 04:19 PM
The Marshall livens things up a bit, but I think they need to give the protagonists some better direction, give them purpose....and then put in some real bad guys that try to stop them.......I dunno....but yeah, it's flat and it doesn't have to be with this much set up to work with

I thought the marshall was way too corny. Wasn't a fan of how they portrayed him.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-01-2015, 04:33 PM
The book is excellent. The scene with the Japanese guy freaking out over the jewelry in the park is one of my all time favorites.

Blake
12-01-2015, 04:37 PM
I thought the marshall was way too corny. Wasn't a fan of how they portrayed him.

Yeah, agree, over the top. It's a shame because that character could have been really good.

The Gemini Method
12-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Caught up with this show over the Thanksgiving break. I liked it well enough based on the premise. The acting, like others have said, wasn't worthy of such a premise. It was not enough to entice one if they weren't all that interested in geo-politics of the 40/50s. I liked the book and hopefully they give more solid emphasis on feeling in their actors. I'll be back to watch the 2nd season because I want to see how things go .

Will Hunting
12-01-2015, 08:46 PM

The other good actor was The Marshall but that was only two episodes. They should have given that character a bigger part given how shitty the acting is for most of the other characters.

Blake
12-02-2015, 08:53 AM
I'd like to see what things look like in England, France, Russia etc

Blake
12-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Quasi-spoiler...

in the last minute of the season finale, I know I'm not the only one that thought of Hiro from "Heroes"

Avante
12-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Last night I decided to start reading the book, after about 20 pages it became real obvious...........it sucks~~~~ I ended up reading a Luke Short western. And I'm a huge sci fi fan.

SpursforSix
12-02-2015, 09:06 PM
Last night I decided to start reading the book, after about 20 pages it became real obvious...........it sucks~~~~ I ended up reading a Luke Short western. And I'm a huge sci fi fan.

I bet that was what your child lovers called you overseas. He Loook Short.

Avante
12-03-2015, 01:52 AM
I bet that was what your child lovers called you overseas. He Loook Short.

Lovers...??? Little man, ya honestly think ..love...was involved, ya really are retarded aren't ya?

Blake
12-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Avante taking a dump in another decent thread. Neat.

The Gemini Method
12-03-2015, 03:24 PM
I'd like to see what things look like in England, France, Russia etc Along with your Heroes surmation, I also agree with wondering how it would have looked like.

FkLA
12-03-2015, 05:17 PM
Yeah, taking a look at Europe would be interesting. I've read that they plan on doing it for Season 2. They sort of gave a glimpse of it with Berlin (or was it Munich?).

LaMarcus Bryant
12-28-2015, 10:52 PM
Just finished.

Better than the book for sure. Anyone worried about needing to read the book lol, other than character names, only one or two scenes are straight from the book.

I liked the cliffhanger.
Interested to see where the show goes.

Reck
12-28-2015, 11:19 PM
The boyfriend gayed the show up massively.

Blake
01-11-2017, 11:49 AM
Season 2 was very good.

Feels a little like LOST but it was much better than season 1.

Blake
01-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Seriously tho.....a Japanese general named Kaka. :lol

Obergruppenführer Smith is a really good character, really good actor. It makes the show much more palatable with him as a focal point

Will Hunting
01-11-2017, 12:53 PM
Seriously tho.....a Japanese general named Kaka. :lol

Obergruppenführer Smith is a really good character, really good actor. It makes the show much more palatable with him as a focal point
Unfortunately the show becomes much more retarded with the Japanese minister of commerce who flashes in and out of different worlds for no apparent reason.

Blake
01-11-2017, 01:04 PM
Unfortunately the show becomes much more retarded with the Japanese minister of commerce who flashes in and out of different worlds for no apparent reason.

Eh, I think the why is clear. It's the how that seems pretty weak.

I guess they'll reveal where the future movies are coming from in season 3

Reck
01-11-2017, 01:07 PM

He's my favorite character too, but the last episode threw a curve which I'm not sure is highly belieable. He was in the US military..but somehow worked himself up to the ranks of the Nazis only answering to Himmler and Hitler?

Only way it makes sense is if he's never really fully drank the nazi koolaid and its only pretending.

Blake
01-11-2017, 01:14 PM
He's my favorite character too, but the last episode threw a curve which I'm not sure is highly belieable. He was in the US military..but somehow worked himself up to the ranks of the Nazis only answering to Himmler and Hitler?

Only way it makes sense is if he's never really fully drank the nazi koolaid and its only pretending.

I'm willing to buy that he's that cunning and lucky to pull it off

TimDunkem
01-11-2017, 01:42 PM
I like how the show turns the whole hero/protagonist concept on it's head. They're mostly unlikeable while the villains/antagonists are the more likeable and nuanced characters. John Smith is the best character on the show by far.

John Smith is the fakest name ever if I ever heard one. :lol

Blake
01-11-2017, 01:45 PM
I like how the show turns the whole hero/protagonist concept on it's head. They're mostly unlikeable while the villains/antagonists are the more likeable and nuanced characters. John Smith is the best character on the show by far.

John Smith is the fakest name ever if I ever heard one. :lol

I bet his real name is Eli Goldberg

AaronY
06-07-2017, 12:32 AM
For a show about a Nazi apacolypse this one sure is boring. At season 2 episode 2 does this get any better?

Xevious
06-07-2017, 10:32 AM
Well this thread is depressing. The subject matter sounds cool as shit and was looking forward to starting this series, but now I'm not so sure.

LaMarcus Bryant
06-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Kinda falls off season 2 but I'll stick with it

monosylab1k
06-07-2017, 01:14 PM
The show's mystery stopped being intriguing and started being annoying in season 2. They need to actually get around to explaining some shit in season 3.

Reck
10-15-2018, 12:40 PM
Season 3 was it's best yet since season 1.

I'm up to episode 6. Tagomi has becomes my favorite character since season 2. Shang fucking Tsung baby.

*Spoilers from ep 1-6*

I did not see Joe Blake getting killed off mid season. That was an out of nowhere scene.

Guy drank the Nazi juice completely. Totally unredeemable.

Blake
10-15-2018, 03:55 PM
It's on again? Alright....finally

Reck
10-16-2018, 09:58 PM
Definitely the best season yet.

Aside from the son plot, it was highly entertaining.

Will Hunting
10-28-2018, 09:53 AM
Definitely the best season yet.

Aside from the son plot, it was highly entertaining.
Through 2 episodes it seemed like there was just more mysterious shit happening with no explanation. Do they actually start explaining things as the season goes on?

Reck
10-28-2018, 10:47 AM
Through 2 episodes it seemed like there was just more mysterious shit happening with no explanation. Do they actually start explaining things as the season goes on?

Yeah, they actually do. Loose plots from prior seasons also get neatly tied up.

They get into the multi-verse later in the season and set it up nicely for season 4. By the end it is explained how one travels to and from and why.

DMC
10-28-2018, 09:02 PM
Of course no series is complete these days without the obligatory homosexual scenes. This one is no different.

Blake
10-30-2018, 08:41 AM
Of course no series is complete these days without the obligatory homosexual scenes. This one is no different.

That episode sucked. It looked like they were trying to make a statement instead of move the story along.

hater
10-31-2018, 06:26 AM
If its not an action fest like Wolfenstein 3D then it most likely sucks

Blake
10-31-2018, 10:26 AM
I'm 5 episodes in on season 3 and it's moving slow like it's going through mud.

The Joe Blake thing would be more shocking if not for the whole multi dimension multi versions of Joe Blake

Reck
10-31-2018, 11:04 AM
I'm 5 episodes in on season 3 and it's moving slow like it's going through mud.

The Joe Blake thing would be more shocking if not for the whole multi dimension multi versions of Joe Blake

The other version of Blake is dead along with that world's version of Juliana.

Blake
10-31-2018, 11:42 AM
The other version of Blake is dead along with that world's version of Juliana.

I can't believe his series contract would be up this soon. I'm sure we'll see another Blake again alive.

I'm also wondering why we haven't seen any concentration camps yet

11-22-2019, 06:17 PM
Considering watching this, is it worth the time tbh?

SpursforSix
11-25-2019, 10:50 AM
Considering watching this, is it worth the time tbh?

I was about to ask the same thing and I started the thread. I watched the first couple and it didn't grab me.

BD24
11-25-2019, 10:58 AM
The first two seasons were quite good imo. The third season starts to get a bit ridiculous, still worth a watch though

LaMarcus Bryant
11-25-2019, 11:09 AM
I lost steam in the 2nd season...is it worth sticking with?

BD24
11-25-2019, 11:55 AM
I lost steam in the 2nd season...is it worth sticking with?
Umm. I would say yes. Season 4 is coming out soon and will be the final season, so you will get some closure. Season 3 was a letdown for me, but I’m curious to see where they take it in season 4

Blake
11-25-2019, 01:54 PM
I've watched about the first couple of episodes of season 4 and it's meh.

It reminds me of Lost. Once the mystery is gone there's not much more to it.

BD24
11-25-2019, 03:10 PM
I've watched about the first couple of episodes of season 4 and it's meh.

It reminds me of Lost. Once the mystery is gone there's not much more to it.
Is season 4 already out?

Blake
11-25-2019, 04:56 PM
Is season 4 already out?

Yah

Reck
11-25-2019, 05:19 PM
I can already tell season 4 its going to be a slow burner. Having watched the first 2 episodes not much has happened other than checking up on the Smith family and Akido.

The good thing so far that I can see is how little screen time Juliana has gotten. That has to count for something. :lol

DMC
11-25-2019, 10:17 PM
Final season is a snooze fest worthy of fast forwarding until some shit goes down. The lead up is basic and predictable, and boring. Hopefully they move along with this stupid fucking soap opera.

Reck
11-28-2019, 03:33 AM
Wow terrible season 4 to cap the series.

Too slow, too predictable, and they didn’t even make a good final episode to at least sweetened the bitterness you’ve left with after you realized you’ve just wasted 10 hours of your life watching this shit.

SPOILERS for those who even care......

The Japanese give up after a random attack one day and pack up and go home because? 20 years of occupying half of America and they’re suddenly too inept to handle a small rebellion? The fuck..

FrostKing
11-28-2019, 04:15 AM
Wow terrible season 4 to cap the series.

Too slow, too predictable, and they didn’t even make a good final episode to at least sweetened the bitterness you’ve left with after you realized you’ve just wasted 10 hours of your life watching this shit.

SPOILERS for those who even care......

The Japanese give up after a random attack one day and pack up and go home because? 20 years of occupying half of America and they’re suddenly too inept to handle a small rebellion? The fuck..
American Exceptionalism strikes again