PDA

View Full Version : Why do people champion causes of other people that have nothing to do with them?

DD
11-16-2015, 12:27 PM
...especially people that wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Legit question, what do you get out of it, tbh? Sell me on it

apalisoc_9
11-16-2015, 12:29 PM
Group think? social rankings? Money making?

Benoit
11-16-2015, 01:41 PM
its the pretense

Ball Buster
11-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Naivete.

ChumpDumper
11-16-2015, 01:44 PM
Why not?

Drachen
11-16-2015, 01:59 PM
Because some people have the capability to empathize and understand that it is a good quality

Avante
11-16-2015, 02:00 PM
In junior HS we had a kid named Bobby, he had epilespsy. Kids wanted to poke fun of him, I wouldn't allow it around me. I let it be known..."you don't make fun of Bobby, got it?" Not sure why I cared, but I did.

FkLA
11-16-2015, 06:40 PM
I read comments like 'I won't sleep well tonight' or 'I'm going to throw up' after the France attacks and I just couldn't relate. I mean what happened sucks and I'm a really compassionate person but it's really hard to truly experience those feeling about something that happened half a world away from me.

I always assume people that are overly emotional on social media in instances like that are full of shit.

HarlemHeat37
11-16-2015, 06:58 PM
I read comments like 'I won't sleep well tonight' or 'I'm going to throw up' after the France attacks and I just couldn't relate. I mean what happened sucks and I'm a really compassionate person but it's really hard to truly experience those feeling about something that happened half a world away from me.

I always assume people that are overly emotional on social media in instances like that are full of shit.

:lol there's virtually no chance that those people couldn't sleep or felt like vomiting, tbh..I don't have Facebook, fortunately, but ya, I remember the constant fake outrage there, and now on Twitter, of course..

I've never understood what inspires somebody to Tweet or FB their concern over a situation that has nothing to do with them..the audacity, tbh..do they actually believe that people care about their uninformed and ignorant(usually) opinion on the subject? I've always wondered:lol..

baseline bum
11-16-2015, 09:16 PM
In junior HS we had a kid named Bobby, he had epilespsy. Kids wanted to poke fun of him, I wouldn't allow it around me. I let it be known..."you don't make fun of Bobby, got it?" Not sure why I cared, but I did.

You just poked other middle schoolers later on right?

chunticakes
11-16-2015, 11:06 PM
These people want attention. They need others to validate their existence. These people hate themselves so they want other people to give them likes and comments (in the case of fake social media outrage) to make them feel appreciated and loved.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-17-2015, 06:44 AM
...especially people that wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Legit question, what do you get out of it, tbh? Sell me on it

Why are video game enthusiasts so asshurt about people that take up social causes?

I called in death threats because female game developer!

DD
11-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Why are video game enthusiasts so asshurt about people that take up social causes?

I called in death threats because female game developer!

I think that's stupid as well tbh, much like a grown man who calls himself fuzzy lumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins
11-17-2015, 04:11 PM
I think that's stupid as well tbh, much like a grown man who calls himself fuzzy lumpkins

And yet you pull your schtick here entirely from them. Good job!

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2015, 04:53 PM

:lmao..

FuzzyLumpkins
11-18-2015, 02:18 AM
:lmao..

this message forum stuff is serious business. tell me more about the wonders of modern vitamins, pamphlet.

Joseph Kony
11-18-2015, 03:25 AM
knowing the negative effects of cortisol i feel it best not to give a shit about other people that i can do nothing to help

benefactor
11-18-2015, 07:49 AM

Exactly. Especially all the celebs and athletes. I can understand if you are a French athlete, but none of those American athletes/celebs gave near the shit that they said they did. Hell, most of them probably texted their publicists and had them put the tweet/post out for them.

Nick Jonas: (texting his publicist) Hey, I saw the stuff in Paris. Tweet something nice for me.

Publicist: Already done.

leemajors
11-18-2015, 08:45 AM
https://vimeo.com/9802538

ViceCity86
11-18-2015, 09:32 AM
Empathy vs Sympathy

Simply put-
You feel empathy when you’ve “been there”, and sympathy when you haven’t.

I had serious knee problems when I was younger and felt bad for a kid who was going through the same thing I went through.When 9/11 happened,I felt numbed,like nothing happened.Strange.

Xevious
11-18-2015, 09:33 AM
One would develop gastric ulcers if he/she got worked up over every piece of bad news that came around. The Boston bombing, endless shootings, the Paris attacks... when it comes down to it I have to ask myself two questions - does it effect me or my family, and do I have the time or monetary resources to do anything about it? No to both questions, then I'm not going to worry about it. Yes it sucks, but shit happens and will continue to happen.

9/11 is of course the exception. I still get waves of emotion when thinking about it. But that was death and destruction on a scale not seen in the US in our lifetime. And while everything/everyone moved on, life in this country was forever altered because of it.

Clipper Nation
11-18-2015, 05:34 PM
It's called "virtue signaling" - in other words, slacktivism and feigned anger as a substitute for actually doing something productive for the cause. It's all about looking morally righteous and virtuous without having to put any work in.

http://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/04/hating-the-daily-mail-is-a-substitute-for-doing-good/

http://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/i-invented-virtue-signalling-now-its-taking-over-the-world/

Avante
11-21-2015, 12:21 AM

So tell me stupid how was that arranged? Go ahead stupid break it down, how was that done at that age? Fucking idiot!

So I told my parents I'm going where? And this young girl could just take off?

The stupidity I see here is amazing.

DMC
11-21-2015, 01:04 AM
St Jude Children's Research Center has nothing to do with me. I support them 100%

Is this what you mean?

DMC
11-21-2015, 01:05 AM

Because with some strobes and music, Bobby was a wildcat in bed.

DD
11-21-2015, 03:25 PM
St Jude Children's Research Center has nothing to do with me. I support them 100%

Is this what you mean?

Nope, children are the future...worthy cause. Plus, if you have children or grandchildren then it's something that affects you

DJR210
11-21-2015, 04:46 PM

:lol

:lol