PDA

View Full Version : What Was Up w/ Aldridge Tonight?

BatManu20
11-16-2015, 10:40 PM
Haven't seen a player look that disinterested down the stretch of a game in a while tbh. Finished the game 2/8 for 6 points.. Chalk it up to playing his old team perhaps?

HarlemHeat37
11-16-2015, 10:42 PM
I've been critical of his weight gain, but I'll give him a pass tonight, tbh..probably just coasting against a bad team..

bklynspursfan
11-16-2015, 10:44 PM
The team is just not getting him the ball. He probably needs to assert himself better, but no excuse to not have him touch the ball as long as they went in the 2nd half. Frustrating to watch, especially when he has a favorable matchup at times.

Wouldn't be surprised if next game pop goes out of his way to get him more looks early and often

Robz4000
11-16-2015, 10:45 PM
First game he's looked bad tbh. Tim, Tony, Manu, and Kawhi have had several the past few years with all the weapons to carry this team. It is annoying how they froze him out of the offense after the first quarter; didn't touch the ball at all for long stretches.

TheGreatYacht
11-16-2015, 10:45 PM
Hard to contribute offensively when you're getting no touches other than late bail out shots

HarlemHeat37
11-16-2015, 10:47 PM
His jump shot is just as broken as Danny's, tbh..the weight gain has hurt his all-around game, too, probably..

SayTown
11-16-2015, 10:47 PM
He seemed upset he wasn't getting no touches and when he did get touches late he was getting rid of the ball right away and not even looking to score. He was still at least playing hard on D though

DMC
11-16-2015, 10:49 PM
The offense hasn't changed enough to incorporate his game style. He's likely getting mixed signals from the coach vs the team, and when he's on the floor he doesn't want his time to be a negative to the Spurs. He wants to win and seems content feeling it out while that happens.

I think he's going to have to get aggressive with the ball, miss some shots, have some bad plays, but keep hammering. Pop will likely give him the Kawhi speech... Fuck Tim, Tony and Manu... take the fuckin' shot.

siraulo23
11-16-2015, 10:49 PM
Its frustrating, its both on pop and lamarcus

The spurs offense have not looked good except for a couple of games so far this season

DMC
11-16-2015, 10:51 PM
Its frustrating, its both on pop and lamarcus

The spurs offense have not looked good except for a couple of games so far this season
LMA is focused on defensive rotations. The offense will come. You can't bitch about the defense, and it's a game at both ends.

pgardn
11-16-2015, 10:52 PM
LMA is focused on defensive rotations. The offense will come. You can't bitch about the defense, and it's a game at both ends.

This is a good observation. Pop hates bad rotations more than Satan.

HarlemHeat37
11-16-2015, 10:53 PM
Pop has already said that he isn't going to interfere with Aldridge until he watches him play naturally IIRC..it's only November 16th, relax:lol..

SpursFan86
Yeah, I'd rather see him miss some shots than just defer at every chance and not even attempt to make an impact offensively...this was definitely his worst game as a Spur.

Part of it is the team's fault for not getting him involved more often, but even when they did get him the ball down the stretch, he just immediately passed it back out. It's not a huge deal in November games against shitty teams, but if the Spurs want to win it all, they're going to need an aggressive Aldridge who is comfortable out there. Just have to hope things start clicking more as the season continues.

pgardn
Pop has already said that he isn't going to interfere with Aldridge's role until he watches him play naturally IIRC..it's only November 16th, relax:lol..

Another ditto.

apalisoc_9
11-16-2015, 10:54 PM
Broken jump shot. Added weight. Poor shot quality.

ILoveOranges
He looked pretty tired honestly, got the ball a couple times and didn't do anything with it. Who knows, maybe he was sick. It was his first off night, but I like that the Spurs still win with their biggest free agent acquisition bumming around on offense.

Capt Bringdown
He was obviously thinking about adding another wing to the house that he purpose-built to display his shoe collection.

DAF86
Hopefully he takes comfort on the team winning and doesn't overcare about his personal numbers, tbh. Recognition will come with time if you keep winning son.

bic50
Still not worried. He'll be fine.

pgardn
11-16-2015, 10:55 PM
He looked pretty tired honestly, got the ball a couple times and didn't do anything with it. Who knows, maybe he was sick. It was his first off night, but I like that the Spurs still win with their biggest free agent acquisition bumming around on offense.

This possibly as well.

Yes indeed on the last sentence.

HarlemHeat37
11-16-2015, 11:01 PM
He looks worse than the perception because of the broken jump shot, too, as I said earlier in the thread..same problem as Danny, a usually-reliable jump shooter that is adjusting to getting his looks in a different style of basketball..

His favorite shot is the 10 to 20 foot jump shot..

% from 10-16 feet:

2011- 40%
2012- 40%
2013- 44%
2014- 39%
2015- 39%
This season: 28%(following tonight's game)

16+ feet:
2011- 43%
2012- 43%
2013- 42%
2014- 44%
2015- 42%
This season- 33%(following tonight's game)

I expect positive regression, he didn't forget how to shoot(same with DG), but it's also possible that he's a rhythm shooter that needs volume to reach full potential, which he won't receive with the Spurs..

Mr Bones
He's had a good jump shot for a decade... the idea that his jump shot is "broken" is just silly. At worst, he's in a small shooting slump while trying to adjust to a completely new situation. His shot is the same as it has ever been. And the Spurs are 8-2.

DMC
Yeah, I'd rather see him miss some shots than just defer at every chance and not even attempt to make an impact offensively...this was definitely his worst game as a Spur.

Part of it is the team's fault for not getting him involved more often, but even when they did get him the ball down the stretch, he just immediately passed it back out. It's not a huge deal in November games against shitty teams, but if the Spurs want to win it all, they're going to need an aggressive Aldridge who is comfortable out there. Just have to hope things start clicking more as the season continues.
Not his worst game. He was good on defense. Too many people watch offensive stats and then bitch about how no one cares about defense.

apalisoc_9
11-16-2015, 11:04 PM
He looks worse than the perception because of the broken jump shot, too, as I said earlier in the thread..same problem as Danny, a usually-reliable jump shooter that is adjusting to getting his looks in a different style of basketball..

% from 10-16 feet:

2011- 40%
2012- 40%
2013- 44%
2014- 39%
2015- 39%

16+ feet:
2011- 43%
2012- 43%
2013- 42%
2014- 44%
2015- 42%

I expect it to normalize, but it's also possible that he's a rhythm shooter that needs volume to reach full potential, which he won't receive with the Spurs..

To be fair the quality of the shots are horrible. It feel wrong to say he is getting worse shots playing for SA but he really is. Plus the hesitation is clearly there.

apalisoc_9
11-16-2015, 11:06 PM
He's had a good jump shot for a decade... the idea that his jump shot is "broken" is just silly. At worst, he's in a small shooting slump while trying to adjust to a completely new situation. His shot is the same as it has ever been. And the Spurs are 8-2.

Thats what a broken shot means in the world of basketball..its essentially the same thing you dumbass. People with zero basketball knowledge should stick to making cliche.post and shit...seriously fuck off vanilla cliche fan.

Mr. Body
11-16-2015, 11:07 PM
They need to get him shots. This hands-off thing has got to end. Pop's made bad choices in the past, like hack-a-Jordan last year. Someone needs to tell him to wake up.

HarlemHeat37
11-16-2015, 11:08 PM
:lol I'm not blaming him for the jump shooting struggles, I expect him to adjust well to the players around him, and vice-versa..players go through shooting slumps, it happens..

Doug Collins's analysis of Danny Green's struggles was surprisingly accurate..same logic applies to Aldridge, too..

Mr Bones
11-16-2015, 11:10 PM
Thats what a broken shot means in the world of basketball..its essentially the same thing you dumbass. People with zero basketball knowledge should stick to making cliche.post and shit...seriously fuck off vanilla cliche fan.

It's cute when you get so mad.

Mugen
11-16-2015, 11:11 PM
Looked like he was just trying to stay outta the way.

Russ
11-16-2015, 11:11 PM
His rebounding has been impressive.

The Spurs have been missing an elite rebounder (other than Duncan) for a long time.

That's a bigger deal than his offense IMO.

apalisoc_9
11-16-2015, 11:12 PM
It's cute when you get so mad.
Not only mad but sick too...im starting to feel nauseas just by reading your basketball takes. Its so shitty i think i now have pneumonia.

Mr Bones
11-16-2015, 11:13 PM
Not only mad but sick too...im starting to feel nauseas just by reading your basketball takes. Its so shitty i think i now have pneumonia.

Awww, it's cute when you get histrionic, too!

Mr Bones
11-16-2015, 11:16 PM

Here's my recommendation: slow down a little, tough guy, & breathe. That way you won't post so many spelling & punctuation mistakes. Your chocolate fudge shit takes are annoying, but I'm fine with it... That's just how your inexperienced little mind works.

SpurPadre
11-16-2015, 11:25 PM
Nothing to worry about from a fan's or team's perspective, especially this early. However, we should only hope this isn't messing with LMA's psyche though.

SnakeBoy
11-16-2015, 11:34 PM
He seemed upset he wasn't getting no touches and when he did get touches late he was getting rid of the ball right away and not even looking to score. He was still at least playing hard on D though

I was thinking that in the 4th but then I remembered he looked passive right from the start of the game.

Kawhi probably gave him his cold.

SAGirl
11-16-2015, 11:34 PM
You have all said it. His concentration and effort is on D. We need him focused there, not only bc lack of Tiago, but Timmy is not everlasting, despite our thought that he is.

On offense he needs to get it going early and he didn't in this game. The game stayed close early, with everyone (not just him) bricking shots early, but then, some guys got hot, and he was ignored for long stretches. If you don't incorporate him for long stretches, when the game is close and you need him at that point to close out a game, he wasn't confident on his shot. Maybe it was the right choice from him since Manu and Kawhi had the hot hand, and we won the game.

So the concern is not so much about this game, but that it got to the point where he is deferring to that degree. That can't happen.

YGWHI
11-16-2015, 11:40 PM
Jabari Young said LMA getting over a cold a few days ago, and Kawhi was feeling just a little better before this game...It sounds like the guys weren't feeling really good tonight

https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/665730294570336256

https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/666401616308760576

SAGirl
11-16-2015, 11:41 PM
:lol I'm not blaming him for the jump shooting struggles, I expect him to adjust well to the players around him, and vice-versa..players go through shooting slumps, it happens..

Doug Collins's analysis of Danny Green's struggles was surprisingly accurate..same logic applies to Aldridge, too..
What was the analysis?

GSH
11-17-2015, 12:06 AM
There were times when he had the ball in the blocks against Plumlee, and didn't/couldn't get a shot he liked. The whole team was clanking shots, and by the second half nobody except Manu looked like they wanted to take a shot. They passed up a bunch of open looks, only to get forced into taking much worse shots.

They held their opponent to 80 points, won by 13, only had 6 TO's, got a shitload of assists, and outscored Portland in the paint 36-24. And you cheesedicks are seriously trying to read the look on LMA's face to find something to piss yourselves about? Did you ever think that maybe it was because Aldridge led the Spurs with 23 points, the first time they played Portland, so they made sure he wasn't going to beat them tonight? Or do you just not think the other team has anything to do with what happens on the floor?

The Spurs mostly took what Portland gave them. They took a BUNCH of open shots, and they just kept rattling out. If those shots had been dropping, they would have sagged off LMA, and he would have made them pay. He may have been a little off tonight, but the way this team is put together nobody has to play hero ball. There are 71 games left, and Aldridge will get his share of the buffet.

Sigz
11-17-2015, 12:10 AM
Is he fat?

apalisoc_9
11-17-2015, 12:11 AM
Is he fat?

Yes.

FkLA
11-17-2015, 12:15 AM
There were times when he had the ball in the blocks against Plumlee, and didn't/couldn't get a shot he liked. The whole team was clanking shots, and by the second half nobody except Manu looked like they wanted to take a shot. They passed up a bunch of open looks, only to get forced into taking much worse shots.

They held their opponent to 80 points, won by 13, only had 6 TO's, got a shitload of assists, and outscored Portland in the paint 36-24. And you cheesedicks are seriously trying to read the look on LMA's face to find something to piss yourselves about? Did you ever think that maybe it was because Aldridge led the Spurs with 23 points, the first time they played Portland, so they made sure he wasn't going to beat them tonight? Or do you just not think the other team has anything to do with what happens on the floor?

The Spurs mostly took what Portland gave them. They took a BUNCH of open shots, and they just kept rattling out. If those shots had been dropping, they would have sagged off LMA, and he would have made them pay. He may have been a little off tonight, but the way this team is put together nobody has to play hero ball. There are 71 games left, and Aldridge will get his share of the buffet.

Why are your posts always overly emotional?

GSH
11-17-2015, 12:18 AM

Maybe because I remember a time when the posts here weren't so painfully stupid. You should know - you did your share to lower the average BB IQ around here.

For the record, tell me what part of the things I said above aren't true.

steeledl
11-17-2015, 12:25 AM
Dick Jefferson 2.0? That would suck.... Kawhi and Parker would have to carry this team.

FkLA
11-17-2015, 12:27 AM
Maybe because I remember a time when the posts here weren't so painfully stupid. You should know - you did your share to lower the average BB IQ around here.

For the record, tell me what part of the things I said above aren't true

:lol Chill man, you're way too angry.

The OP has a point. LMA wasn't involved in the second half. Part of that is on the team but part of it is also on him. There was a play late in the 4th were he had a mismatch, Manu fed him, and he immediately kicked it back out. It was strange. If it was TD or something then it wouldn't be worthy of a thread but LMA being sensitive is well publicized. He should be getting more touches which is what this thread is about. He did play good D and rebounded well though which is a good sign.

RD2191
11-17-2015, 12:28 AM
LMA is trash.

ducks
11-17-2015, 12:35 AM
Lma was and is still sick

ILoveOranges
11-17-2015, 12:36 AM
Jabari Young said LMA getting over a cold a few days ago, and Kawhi was feeling just a little better before this game...It sounds like the guys weren't feeling really good tonight

https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/665730294570336256

https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/666401616308760576

Called it! Thanks for the info :toast

ILoveOranges
11-17-2015, 12:39 AM
I'm amazed how many people jump the cliff after one bad game from a player. Must live exhausting lives. That girl you're going after doesn't respond to a text fast enough? Oh my god she's totally banging another dude fuck that ho

spurtech09
11-17-2015, 12:43 AM
people are never satisfied....

Calispursfan11
11-17-2015, 12:58 AM
Aldridge has become a tub of lard. There's no question he's gained at least 30-40 pounds this offseason. Most of it looks to be flab and with the excess and indulgence of the holidays rapidly approaching, he will be lucky to be under 300 lbs come January.

TD 21
11-17-2015, 01:26 AM
I'm not concerned with him or Green yet. I'm confident they'll soon experience progression to the mean. Obviously them doing so would grease the wheels of the offense.

Still, I'm concerned with how limited it is. Not getting much from the line or in transition is nothing new, but it's now been compounded by a lack of penetration and three-point shooting.

Butler has struggled from three from the second half of last season on and none of Aldridge, Parker or Diaw, has upped their volume.

Arcadian
11-17-2015, 01:32 AM
He realized, for the first time in his career, he's surrounded by competent players and doesn't need to carry the load offensively. I'm impressed with his willingness to blend into the system. Why aren't you? If he started out taking 20 shots a game, people would crucify him for that, too.

weeks
11-17-2015, 01:53 AM
he's already mentally checked out and waiting for thanksgiving....bet a few of those turkeys he bought for the Boys and Girls club of San Antonio found their way into the Lamarsha Casa

seriously tho, arcadian is right, he's just happy to be on a winning team full of skilled intelligent players. maybe a touch of laziness now that the pressure is off of him to produce and lead the team. not to diss Portland's team, but they were never the Spurs

he'll turn it up when it matters. see the road game in Portland, that was a game that meant something to him and he was aggressive

SpursBig3s
11-17-2015, 02:30 AM

Cane
11-17-2015, 02:48 AM
Still getting over Ronda, daaaamn

100%duncan
11-17-2015, 02:58 AM
Still getting over Ronda, daaaamn

Twas bound to happen. Her arrogance makes it much sweeter.

Dancelot
11-17-2015, 03:21 AM
Dick Jefferson 2.0? That would suck.... Kawhi and Parker would have to carry this team.
(Shivers) Don't ever say that again.

Fireball
11-17-2015, 03:41 AM
LMA was ill ... and Manu was sick ... end of story

Manu-of-steel
11-17-2015, 04:09 AM

Agree with you, sir!

DenialTwist
11-17-2015, 04:09 AM
LMA just looked annoyed that he wasn't getting the ball and in the best spots on the floor. Sean ****** said that the Spurs need to feed LMA early so he can get in a rhythm. He really looked disinterested in the second half. Hopefully next game that changes.

TheGreatYacht
11-17-2015, 04:13 AM
LMA just looked annoyed that he wasn't getting the ball and in the best spots on the floor. Sean ****** said that the Spurs need to feed LMA early so he can get in a rhythm. He really looked disinterested in the second half. Hopefully next game that changes.
He got 13 shots against the Sixers, which half were put backs coming from his 19 rebounds. It won't change. Pop is too stubborn to rely on a superstar... We can't score for shit against shit teams, this ain't gonna get us nowhere.

z0sa
11-17-2015, 04:34 AM
Other Spurs were going off; they honestly weren't looking for him, and he wasn't really looking to be found, either.

ceperez
11-17-2015, 05:32 AM

Honestly, LMA looks to be as pretty one-dimensional unlike other Spurs players like Leonard, Manu and Diaw.

He also can't seem to make a good assist. The ball goes to him and all he knows how to do is dribble and make a jump shot. He kind of seems surprised when he gets the ball without a defender and doesn't take a quick shot.

It just isn't that great so far. Unfortunately, Spurs have to play non-contenders that make wins too easy.

Slippy
11-17-2015, 06:32 AM
Fair enough he wasnt getting the ball in the first half. He got doubled early on and then let boris do most of the work. A little bit concerning when you start deferring and passing up the opent shot in the second half. That was too obvious.

tbdog
11-17-2015, 06:38 AM
It was strange indeed. The one play towards the end, a clear out was called for him and he passed it out to a non open shooter.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-17-2015, 08:24 AM
He realized, for the first time in his career, he's surrounded by competent players and doesn't need to carry the load offensively. I'm impressed with his willingness to blend into the system. Why aren't you? If he started out taking 20 shots a game, people would crucify him for that, too.

I think everyone would agree with that, but we would also like to see a game he flat out dominates like he did in Portland. Not because we necessarily need that, but so we know that if other options run dry, LMA is someone the team can turn to and get buckets on his own.

MaNu4Tres
11-17-2015, 08:39 AM

% from 10-16 feet:

2011- 40%
2012- 40%
2013- 44%
2014- 39%
2015- 39%

16+ feet:
2011- 43%
2012- 43%
2013- 42%
2014- 44%
2015- 42%

I expect positive regression, he didn't forget how to shoot(same with DG), but it's also possible that he's a rhythm shooter that needs volume to reach full potential, which he won't receive with the Spurs..

Even for a set shooter like him, weight gain and lack of strength/ balance in the legs can hurt consistency in the jumper.

He needs to lose 10-15 pounds and work on his core strength... tbh..

spursistan
11-17-2015, 10:06 AM
should have signed Kostas koufos on the cheap, tbh..

Arcadian
11-17-2015, 10:06 AM
I think everyone would agree with that, but we would also like to see a game he flat out dominates like he did in Portland. Not because we necessarily need that, but so we know that if other options run dry, LMA is someone the team can turn to and get buckets on his own.

He's had a few 20+ point games, right? It's not like the man suddenly forgot how to play basketball. He's fine.

TheGreatYacht
11-17-2015, 10:42 AM
People wondered why superstars don't come here in Free Agency.... We should be grateful we finally got one, even after Kiwi led us to a first round exit

spursistan
11-17-2015, 11:17 AM
If I am Pop, i would look to establish him early vs the Nuggets..But as some posters said this is not unheard of, Bosh/Love have both gone down this path in their early Heat/Cavs months..the adjustment is real and awkward at times, more so with the team-oriented playing philosophy of the Spurs..For the past half decade, this team has been winning games both in reg season/playoff with 4 or 5 guys scoring between 10-15 points..Now we are trying to make it more or less 1-2 punch between Kawhi-LMA..Leonard has gotten there already after taken over the team down the stretch last season, but with Aldridge it will take time to incorporate him...

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2015, 01:18 PM
What was the analysis?

He discussed the differences for a shooter going from a drive and kick game to an inside-outside post-oriented offense..they'll both generate open shots, but it's a big adjustment for a shooter, mentally, since the delivery/location of the passes is completely different..

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2015, 01:22 PM
And people need to relax on calling Aldridge a superstar, tbh:lol..it's an insult to actual superstars..

His role is fine, he seems happy..he's learning how to play winning basketball from players with championship experience and the GOAT coach..this isn't Portland, the Spurs aren't going to win with his soft, diva attitude and chucker ways..

midnightpulp
11-17-2015, 01:33 PM
And people need to relax on calling Aldridge a superstar, tbh:lol..it's an insult to actual superstars..

His role is fine, he seems happy..he's learning how to play winning basketball from players with championship experience and the GOAT coach..this isn't Portland, the Spurs aren't going to win with his soft, diva attitude and chucker ways..

Been very, very impressed with his defense and rebounding this year so far. Even if his offense is sputtering, it shows he's committed and "happy with his role." When his offense comes around, LMA will essentially be a very rich man's Tiago who can finish at the rim and hit 18 footers at a decent rate.

I'll call it now. We stay healthy, our only worry in the West will be GS, who we have the horses (wing stop, length, size, multiple post presences) to beat.

Kawhitstorm
11-17-2015, 02:35 PM
He was under the weather yesterday which was why he wasn't aggressive & passing up shots. Overall, he's a rhythm player who is still learning where he's going to get his shots in a new system thus he's thinking before he shoots rather than just letting it fly w/o hesitation. He also is much better when he plays outside/in rather than inside/out which is why he looks mediocre when they throw him the ball in post before he's warmed up.

Kawhitstorm
11-17-2015, 02:46 PM

LMA isn't even on MVPau's level, he's a 3rd wheel on a championship team. Bosh during his first season as a member of "The Heatles" barely broke 20 in his first 10 games & dude averaged 16/6 in his last 2 seasons w/ Bron. Bosh is a better PnR defender while LMA is a better rebounder/rim protector.

Kawhi is the best player on the team & the bench is the team's best asset. Tim is the heart & soul of the team.

hater
11-17-2015, 02:51 PM
^ and Parker the engine that makes it all run smoothly

Kawhitstorm
11-17-2015, 02:54 PM
^ and Parker the engine that makes it all run smoothly

If only he played every game against Lillard & the Blazers:lol

spursistan
11-17-2015, 04:00 PM
LMA isn't even on MVPau's level, he's a 3rd wheel on a championship team. Bosh during his first season as a member of "The Heatles" barely broke 20 in his first 10 games & dude averaged 16/6 in his last 2 seasons w/ Bron. Bosh is a better PnR defender while LMA is a better rebounder/rim protector.

Kawhi is the best player on the team & the bench is the team's best asset. Tim is the heart & soul of the team.
our best case secanio is that he turns out like Heatles' Bosh..never at any point they relied on CB to take them home but he was committed to the dirty work of defense and spacing..remember how he went scoreless in game 7 of the Finals or when he got taken to school by 37 year-old TD in game 6 first half but still made key contributions like the OFF reb leading to Allen 3 or blocking Green game winning 3..the question is whether Aldridge (ego/mentality) embrace something similar for the long haul though i honestly expect more scoring punch from him given that we really don't have peak Lebron on this team ..

Kawhitstorm
11-17-2015, 04:13 PM
our best case secanio is that he turns out like Heatles' Bosh..never at any point they relied on CB to take them home but he was committed to the dirty work of defense and spacing..remember how he went scoreless in game 7 of the Finals or when he got taken to school by 37 year-old TD in game 6 first half but still made key contributions like the OFF reb leading to Allen 3 or blocking Green game winning 3..the question is whether Aldridge (ego/mentality) embrace something similar the long whole though i honestly expect more scoring punch from him given that we really don't have peak Lebron on this team ..

His role would be more like David West in Indiana who played as a quasi wingman to Paul George b/w 2012-14 w/ the Pacers team that went to back-to-back ECF. Tim/LMA's role would change depending on the matchups similar to how Hibbert was the wingman against the Heat but West had that role against other teams.

The current Spurs team actually reminds me of those Pacers team w/ their shitty offense but suffocating defense, dominant frontcourt but erratic backcourt along w/ being led by a young 2-way wingplayer not to mention David West/Butler being ex-Pacers:lol. The major difference is that the Spurs have one of the best benches in the league but the Pacers bench was trash. That along w/ experience hopefully will get them over the hump against the defending champs unlike the Pacers wilting against the Heat.

LMA's full potential won't be tapped unless he plays w/ a true point guard that's going to feed him the ball in his sweet spots ala David West playing w/ Chris Paul. Worst case scenario is that he turns into Carlos Boozer.:lol

TD 21
11-17-2015, 05:26 PM
Been very, very impressed with his defense and rebounding this year so far. Even if his offense is sputtering, it shows he's committed and "happy with his role." When his offense comes around, LMA will essentially be a very rich man's Tiago who can finish at the rim and hit 18 footers at a decent rate.

I'll call it now. We stay healthy, our only worry in the West will be GS, who we have the horses (wing stop, length, size, multiple post presences) to beat.

:lmao Thinking the Thunder, Clippers and possibly Rockets, don't qualify as a "worry".

midnightpulp
11-17-2015, 10:56 PM
:lmao Thinking the Thunder, Clippers and possibly Rockets, don't qualify as a "worry".

Every playoff series is a worry, since the chokejob always looms. But we'll be a favorite vs. any of those in a series.

And :lol Rockets. As presently constructed, they aren't a threat. Moreyball is broken. McHale is a dunce. Dwight is in decline, and their bench is below average.

Russo21
11-18-2015, 04:36 AM
His rebounding and defence have been very good. His offense will come. He's already performed far and away better than any other Spurs big not named Duncan for the last 10+ years and he's not even 1 month into his Spurs career. I don't think anything was wrong with LMA that game. It was just a horrible horrible game to watch as a fan. Glad to get the W in an ugly outing.

TD 21
11-18-2015, 05:50 PM
Every playoff series is a worry, since the chokejob always looms. But we'll be a favorite vs. any of those in a series.

And :lol Rockets. As presently constructed, they aren't a threat. Moreyball is broken. McHale is a dunce. Dwight is in decline, and their bench is below average.

:lmao Look at you, backtracking already. Whether the Spurs would be a favorite against the others is not the same as saying they're not a worry.

I said maybe Rockets, since unlike some and contrary to popular belief, I don't jump to conclusions.

gospursgojas
11-18-2015, 08:55 PM
The team is just not getting him the ball. He probably needs to assert himself better, but no excuse to not have him touch the ball as long as they went in the 2nd half. Frustrating to watch, especially when he has a favorable matchup at times.

Wouldn't be surprised if next game pop goes out of his way to get him more looks early and often

This is an annoying excuse I hear Sean use on broadcast all the time. He gets the ball...he imeadiately passes it and does nothing.

bklynspursfan
11-18-2015, 10:31 PM
This is an annoying excuse I hear Sean use on broadcast all the time. He gets the ball...he imeadiately passes it and does nothing.

Nah.. They didn't get him the ball nearly enough in the 2nd half. He was out of rhythm when he was getting it. it simply took way too long then they would get it to him with the shot clock running low. He need the ball in the post far more than hes getting

steeledl
11-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Starting to worry about him. He will be solid no matter what but he has to find his place on this team if he wants to be happy and for us to win a championship.

He doesn't get a lot of touches. Pop needs to take a couple of games and really focus on getting him some volume and working some things into the offense that he is comfortable with.

RD2191
11-18-2015, 10:44 PM
Dude is trash. Will be traded next season.

pgardn
11-18-2015, 10:50 PM
We fine.

He was active tonight on the boards.
Shot is still off. Missed some bunnies.

It will happen. He gives us a threat on offense and that in itself is good right now. This was a faster moving guard/SF type game. Don't tell Tim though.

GSH
11-18-2015, 10:52 PM
unlike some and contrary to popular belief, I don't jump to conclusions.

Most of the people here don't jump to conclusions - they stumble into them like a fucking drunk.

"My sources tell me... that Aldridge is so pissed about not getting enough touches that he's demanding a trade."

SAGirl
11-18-2015, 10:52 PM
We fine.

He was active tonight on the boards.
Shot is still off. Missed some bunnies.

It will happen. He gives us a threat on offense and that in itself is good right now. This was a faster moving guard/SF type game. Don't tell Tim though.
:lol

xtremesteven33
11-18-2015, 10:55 PM
He knew what he was getting into when he signed here. Hes been the man before and is taking a lesser role to win. WTF are yall surprised about?

MaNu4Tres
11-18-2015, 10:58 PM
The confidence isn't there.

Glad its still early.

GSH
11-18-2015, 11:00 PM
He knew what he was getting into when he signed here. Hes been the man before and is taking a lesser role to win. WTF are yall surprised about?

It's because they spent the whole summer making shit up, and it didn't become reality in the first week of the season.

The sky must be falling.

RD2191
11-18-2015, 11:02 PM
It's because they spent the whole summer making shit up, and it didn't become reality in the first week of the season.

The sky must be falling.
You're a huge faggot. Tbh

MaNu4Tres
11-18-2015, 11:04 PM

1. How he came into the season in bad shape.

2. How inefficient he has been thus far.

3. How limited his offensive game has been -- outside of the open jumper and the fade-away from posting up, he hasn't really shown much else.

4. His defense and rebounding have been the only positives thus far, and that's somewhat surprising considering how people were worried about his defense and not about his offense.

apalisoc_9
11-18-2015, 11:04 PM

:lol

Srsly hes fine. Hes trash offensively but its not like he is sulking and letting his lack of touches affect his game with rebounding and D...like other pos

midnightpulp
11-18-2015, 11:10 PM

This. Riley gave the Spurs an unintentional selling point by telling LMA how Bosh had to sacrifice personal numbers and accolades to win titles. And then Pop told him that you won't see any billboards of Kawhi or Tim Duncan (referring to how Portland shunned LMA in favor of promoting Lollard) because the billboards you see will be of the team, no player put above another. LMA knows he's now a part of process bigger than himself, and with the way he's working his ass off on defense and on the glass, he believes in it.

His offense will come around. Not worried about him on that end.

ceperez
11-18-2015, 11:11 PM
1. How he came into the season in bad shape.

2. How inefficient he has been thus far.

3. How limited his offensive game has been -- outside of the open jumper and the fade-away from posting up, he hasn't really shown much else.

4. His defense and rebounding have been the only positives thus far, and that's somewhat surprising considering how people were worried about his defense and not about his offense.

So far a real disappointment in offense.

It's like he hasn't developed any skills for all these years!!

sasaint
11-18-2015, 11:24 PM
This. Riley gave the Spurs an unintentional selling point by telling LMA how Bosh had to sacrifice personal numbers and accolades to win titles. And then Pop told him that you won't see any billboards of Kawhi or Tim Duncan (referring to how Portland shunned LMA in favor of promoting Lollard) because the billboards you see will be of the team, no player put above another. LMA knows he's now a part of process bigger than himself, and with the way he's working his ass off on defense and on the glass, he believes in it.

His offense will come around. Not worried about him on that end.

Yeah, I like how he is coming along. Hustling on D and hitting the boards - what's not to like? So far, he's like Tiago on steroids. The offense will come. Heck, tonight if he hadn't missed some bunnies, his point total would have been 6-8 points higher.

MaNu4Tres
11-18-2015, 11:27 PM
He could really benefit from watching early tapes of his teammate in the 21 jersey.

Teams respected Tim's mid-range off the glass, so they had to try to contest and play up on Tim -- which worked in Tims favor as he had a monster face up game created by jab steps. Tim would take the shot off the jab step or he would take his man off the dribble from 10-15 feet out. Aldridge could use a face up game and use the jab step to A) create space to take a jumper when defended or B) use jab step to take his man off the dribble to get an easier shot around the rim.

Really wish Aldridge could try to incorporate a face up game of some sort instead of just trying to post up/back up his man every time he gets the ball in an ISO situation.

midnightpulp
11-18-2015, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I like how he is coming along. Hustling on D and hitting the boards - what's not to like? So far, he's like Tiago on steroids. The offense will come. Heck, tonight if he hadn't missed some bunnies, his point total would have been 6-8 points higher.

Yep. Tiago has never averaged over 7 boards per game and didn't have the kind of offense that can space the floor. Opponents still need to respect LMA's 18 footer, even if he is having some trouble this season It's why Parker, Duncan, and Leonard are all having career year FG% so far.

GSH
11-18-2015, 11:29 PM

Wow, that really stings.

The Spurs have 10 double-doubles this season. LMA has five of them.

GSH
11-18-2015, 11:33 PM
The Spurs have 10 double-doubles this season. LMA has five of them.

LOL... fucking RD2191 frantically checking the stats. "That can't be right!"

sasaint
11-18-2015, 11:33 PM
Yep. Tiago has never averaged over 7 boards per game and didn't have the kind of offense that can space the floor. Opponents still need to respect LMA's 18 footer, even if he is having some trouble this season It's why Parker, Duncan, and Leonard are all having career year FG% so far.

This is huge. I also like how DWest can similarly space the floor.

Kawhitstorm
11-19-2015, 12:17 AM
He could really benefit from watching early tapes of his teammate in the 21 jersey.

Teams respected Tim's mid-range off the glass, so they had to try to contest and play up on Tim -- which worked in Tims favor as he had a monster face up game created by jab steps. Tim would take the shot off the jab step or he would take his man off the dribble from 10-15 feet out. Aldridge could use a face up game and use the jab step to A) create space to take a jumper when defended or B) use jab step to take his man off the dribble to get an easier shot around the rim.

Really wish Aldridge could try to incorporate a face up game of some sort instead of just trying to post up/back up his man every time he gets the ball in an ISO situation.

He actually has a nice face up game but he rarely resorts to driving unless the defenders are riding up on him. He usually throws up a right handed running hook when he drives & ends up getting fouled b/c the defenders are trying to recover after being unexpectedly left in the dust. I haven't seen him attempt many of these in a Spurs uniform but they are quit effective & impossible to block:

ySGxubAX0Dw

He hasn't step-through much b/c he usually uses it as a counter when he's posting up on a consistent basis so his full repertoire still hasn't been reveled:

qlJVPRBv91I

LeBron was looking old at this point last season, LMA should be fine once he gets in tip-top shape.

SAGirl
11-19-2015, 12:28 AM
He actually has a nice face up game but he rarely resorts to driving unless the defenders are riding up on him. He usually throws up a right handed running hook when he drives & ends up getting fouled b/c the defenders are trying to recover after being unexpectedly left in the dust. I haven't seen him attempt many of these in a Spurs uniform but they are quit effective & impossible to block:

ySGxubAX0Dw

He hasn't step-through much b/c he usually uses it as a counter when he's posting up on a consistent basis so his full repertoire still hasn't been reveled:

qlJVPRBv91I

LeBron was looking old at this point last season, LMA should be fine once he gets in tip-top shape.

Just looking at that makes me think, he probably is not even posting enough to get in rhythm. Pops is not having him post up too much and its not like he's asking to post up either, but he does have his moves. The fact he gets doubled quickly makes some of this moves not realistic right now, maybe?

z0sa
11-19-2015, 12:34 AM
I dont care how well he does personally. Long as we win.

9 and 2, think were ok.

Kawhitstorm
11-19-2015, 12:43 AM
Just looking at that makes me think, he probably is not even posting enough to get in rhythm. Pops is not having him post up too much and its not like he's asking to post up either, but he does have his moves. The fact he gets doubled quickly makes some of this moves not realistic right now, maybe?

The issue right now is that he's posting up too deep & Tim insists on the high-low pass or throwing lobs:lol while he's being fronted. It seems to me like Pop wants him to pound the offense glass & spread the floor thus he has to be either around the rim or at the elbow instead of getting touches from his favorite spots: the left block. I guess come playoff time if there is a clear mismatch he will be given the green light to postup on the left block consistently until then he has to perfect his niche as the garbage man/stretch 4/decoy.

SAGirl
11-19-2015, 12:49 AM
The issue right now is that he's posting up too deep & Tim insist on the high-low pass or throwing lobs:lol while he's being fronted. It seems to me like Pop wants him to pound the offense glass & spread the floor thus he has to be either around the rim or at the elbow instead of getting touches from his favorite spots: the left block.
You are very right on the O glass. The fact he's there and he's a handful rebounding requires the other team to have more than a couple of guys to go for the board, no. 1 to box him out, no. 2 to grab the board or preventing a tip in. All of that helps the Spurs transition defense I think.

Ultimately, yes he has sacrificed his game for the sake of the team. He's getting far too many jumpshots too, from the top and all over, like you say to space out. Occasionally they go to him in a post up, I think only if Pop has noticed that the team is ignoring him too much and he's starting to loose his aggressiveness.

JeffDuncan
11-19-2015, 11:29 AM
So far a real disappointment in offense.

Actually not.

His lowest FG% was .250, 2 of 8, in the second Portland game. His highest FG% was .600, 6 of 10, against Charlotte. Overall shot percentage of .443, on a new team with all new players around him, but that'll improve.

Best points production was on 9 of 18 in the first Portland game, obviously .500. He shot 8 of 18 against Boston.

Excellent FT% of .848.

He's scored in double digits in all except the second Portland game.

He's doing better than people think. The psychology is funny, in that people see a player who's supposed to be a big scorer, and all they notice are his misses.

You'd be disappointed if you expect 30 ppg from him, in the Spurs system. Do you?

Fireball
11-19-2015, 11:47 AM
He's doing better than people think. The psychology is funny, in that people see a player who's supposed to be a big scorer, and all they notice are his misses.

You'd be disappointed if you expect 30 ppg from him, in the Spurs system. Do you?

Its just from watching him in Portland it seemed like he hit far more shots like he does now. His jump shot just does not look automatic right now, but as you said it will improve ...

dweaver99027
11-19-2015, 11:50 AM
He needs to play more with a Mills/Manu/Green lineup to get more spacing for his post ups. He also has to get in better shape. Other than that, a 15/10 player with good to great defense and the ability to get his own on occasion (which is pretty much his floor as a player) is worth 15-20 mil per year in the NBA nowadays so we're fine even if he never improves this season.

Dex
11-19-2015, 12:16 PM
has pop played lma with diaw or turnoboli?

dude needs someone to feed him the ball...

You have obviously been watching the games.

ceperez
11-19-2015, 12:44 PM
You are very right on the O glass. The fact he's there and he's a handful rebounding requires the other team to have more than a couple of guys to go for the board, no. 1 to box him out, no. 2 to grab the board or preventing a tip in. All of that helps the Spurs transition defense I think.

Ultimately, yes he has sacrificed his game for the sake of the team. He's getting far too many jumpshots too, from the top and all over, like you say to space out. Occasionally they go to him in a post up, I think only if Pop has noticed that the team is ignoring him too much and he's starting to loose his aggressiveness.

Until the last game, I haven't see LMA playing well with any of the starters.

I don't see a two man game with Leonard.
I don't see the kind of passing between bigs like I saw with Splitter and Duncan.
I don't see him screening well for Green.

Parker really is the core of the starters offense. He's dribbling around looking for opportunities and there really is a ton of them for LMA.

He'll get better over time though. He's also changing a lot of shots in the paint.

FkLA
11-19-2015, 01:03 PM
Most of the people here don't jump to conclusions - they stumble into them like a fucking drunk.

"My sources tell me... that Aldridge is so pissed about not getting enough touches that he's demanding a trade."

The sky must be falling.

^anger issues

G-Dawgg
11-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Aldridge's value will be realized when we play Golden State in the playoffs and he goes apeshit on their tiny front line. He's got 5 years to play here. He's going to get comfortable at some point. It doesn't have to be overnight... I just think Popivich should be making more of a conscious effort to get him involved.

T_L_P
11-19-2015, 01:23 PM
He's fit in quite well defensively and he's passing the ball.

Don't really get the criticisms. He was a terribly inefficient scorer in Portland and he's a terribly inefficient one on the Spurs. Why would we have expected that to change?

MaNu4Tres
11-19-2015, 02:49 PM

ySGxubAX0Dw

qlJVPRBv91I

None of these videos are examples of a face up game of any sort.

The face up game is when the post player receives the ball from 12-18 feet out on either side of the court, pivots to where he's facing up without starting his dribble and "measures" up his defender and the defense. From this position, there's multiple ways to create opportunities for yourself and others as your in a triple threat position essentially. If you need any ideas of what I'm talking about, go youtube Duncan in his prime.

And the reason why I bring this up is because Aldridge has the shot to really benefit from a face up game -- where a simple pump fake can create free throw opportunities or uncontested opportunities around the rim for himself or Tim as Tim's man would have to come to help.

A face up game is a lot more +EV than the back to the basket fade-away possessions LaMarcus has been resorting to.

InRareForm
11-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Lamarcus TAMALEridge

skulls138
11-19-2015, 03:15 PM

The face up game is when the post player receives the ball from 12-18 feet out on either side of the court, pivots to where he's facing up without starting his dribble and "measures" up his defender and the defense. From this position, there's multiple ways to create opportunities for yourself and others as your in a triple threat position essentially. If you need any ideas of what I'm talking about, go youtube Duncan in his prime.

And the reason why I bring this up is because Aldridge has the shot to really benefit from a face up game -- where a simple pump fake can create free throw opportunities or uncontested opportunities around the rim for himself or Tim as Tim's man would have to come to help.

A face up game is a lot more +EV type of game than the back to the basket fade-away possessions LaMarcus has been resorting to.The turn around fade away is only good if you make it. I remember Ewing getting criticized for it back in the day because you dont draw a double team so you cant pass from it and you cant get an offensive rebound from it if you miss. LMA needs to either drive more from the back to the basket game or have more of a face up game or a little of both. Now when you really need a bucket the turn around is great ala Paul Pierce because its hard to defend.

Kawhitstorm
11-19-2015, 05:31 PM

A face up game is a lot more +EV than the back to the basket fade-away possessions LaMarcus has been resorting to.

Big dummy, those clips weren't necessarily about his face up game but about facets of his post-up game that he hasn't shown in a Spurs uniform. His face up game is a simple pump fake then drive but he does finish either w/ a dunk or running hook (I couldn't find clips of it which is why I posted a clip of him shooting running hook on postups). He usually doesn't pump fake unless he's is white hot & defenders are running at him which explains why we haven't seen any of it this season.

Big Empty
11-19-2015, 05:38 PM
All*Drudge

drudge
drəj/
noun
noun: drudge; plural noun: drudges
a person made to do hard, menial, or dull work

MaNu4Tres
11-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Big dummy, those clips weren't necessarily about his face up game but about facets of his post-up game that he hasn't shown in a Spurs uniform. His face up game is a simple pump fake then drive but he does finish either w/ a dunk or running hook (I couldn't find clips of it which is why I posted a clip of him shooting running hook on postups). He usually doesn't pump fake unless he's is white hot & defenders are running at him which explains why we haven't seen any of it this season.

Okay.