PDA

View Full Version : West being that good, a myth this season?

100%duncan
11-17-2015, 04:25 AM
Granted that the East still sucks, no one will now be fooled by atlanta's record and it's still Bron's conference but is the West really that much better?

The rockets are failing horribly, pelicans only have 1 win, Memphis is just unwatchable, clippers also not having a good record, blazers are one of the worst, dallas also looks bad. So 6 out of 8 playoff teams really look out of sync right now. And OKC aside from their season opener has been sucking too. Only good teams are really Spurs who are still struggling offensively and the Warriors.

So is the West being better just based on cliche? Do you think most of the teams can bounce back? Or is it really between Gsw and Spurs right now?

z0sa
11-17-2015, 04:35 AM
Too early to tell, IMHO.

Fireball
11-17-2015, 04:44 AM
Dallas looks surprisingly good in my opinion ... another fine job by Mark Cuban putting something together on the fly and Carlisle's offense looks better than Pops tbh. Dwight Powell is my favorite rookie so far this season ...

DeRozan m8
11-17-2015, 04:45 AM
He's done fine, he'll find his way

:bobo

100%duncan
11-17-2015, 05:00 AM
Dallas looks surprisingly good in my opinion ... another fine job by Mark Cuban putting something together on the fly and Carlisle's offense looks better than Pops tbh. Dwight Powell is my favorite rookie so far this season ...

Really? Thought they looked bad outside of that home game against clipps but thats just from rumors

100%duncan
11-17-2015, 05:01 AM
Double post

Fireball
11-17-2015, 05:07 AM
Really? Thought they looked bad outside of that home game against clipps but thats just from rumors

I watched quite a few games ... Parsons and Mathews still get much rest after returning from injuries, but even with them and Nowitzki not playing they won big in Houston. When fully healthy they might stay in playoff position ...

DarrinS
11-17-2015, 08:02 AM
I came into this thread fully prepared to defend David West.

:depressed

peacemaker885
11-17-2015, 08:53 AM

Rick Carlisle man. He's just one the best coaches out there. His ability to make things work out better than anyone would think it would.

Old School 44
11-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Still early...The rockets do look bad - Kardashian Kurse. Unfortunately for Spurs fans, and the rest of the Western Conference contenders, McHale's days in Houston are numbered.

SpursforSix
11-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Rick Carlisle man. He's just one the best coaches out there. His ability to make things work out better than anyone would think it would.

I was really surprised that the re-upped with them already. Considering that Cuban hasn't done him any favors in the player moves. Rick must be convinced that he will have a strong say in the post Dirk era.
or he likes the yearly challenge of trying to build something out of the spare parts he gets every season.

hater
11-17-2015, 10:45 AM
David West? Yeah he sucks so far

100%duncan
11-17-2015, 11:03 AM
David West? Yeah he sucks so far

Thanks man, Dwest needed your help. With this post I expect a double double from hin next game :toast

DarrinS
11-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Thanks man, Dwest needed your help. With this post I expect a double double from hin next game :toast

:lol

JeffDuncan
11-17-2015, 11:24 AM
I hope the West is weaker than expected. A higher seed for the Spurs.

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2015, 01:27 PM
It's clearly weaker, at the moment, since Houston and Memphis look like trash with no miracle fixes, and the 7-8 seeds are going to be much weaker than usual..

Still, though, Warriors have been historically good, and the Clippers are still an elite team..

Dex
11-17-2015, 01:34 PM
Overall, I'd say the Western Conference is still better than the East. While there are many teams faltering early season in the West, it's not like any of the East teams suddenly look like world-beaters. Outside of Cleveland, Atlanta, and maybe Chicago (which were the three top East teams last season)...I'd have a hard time pegging any of the other Eastern teams to win a 7-game series against the West.

Sure, the Heat, Raptors, and Pistons have all surprised early...but that was based on the expectation of them being terrible. Just like people are dogging on the Rockets and Grizzlies because they came in with high expectations for the season. I'd still take either of the two latter teams over any of the former in a playoff series though.

Really, the only difference I can tell so far is the distance between the top of the Western bracket and the bottom has gotten wider. Still a lot of games to be played, though, so things will likely even out.

RD2191
11-17-2015, 01:38 PM

Lol. Same here.

baseline bum
11-17-2015, 01:45 PM
Only the Warriors look all that good. I'm not too impressed by the Spurs 8-2 record so far with the level of competition they have faced. Brooklyn, Portland, Charlotte, Washington, New York. The only competent teams they have played so far are OKC and Boston.

Cry Havoc
11-17-2015, 01:52 PM
West clearly isn't as loaded this year, so far. Grizzlies are looking a little better with Chalmers, something that almost hurts to say.

Even so, looking at the East, it's just a painfully thin conference.

The top 4 teams out West (Dubs/Spurs/Clips/Thunder) would beat anyone in the East aside from the Cavs, who would be 50/50 with most. Chicago could probably push a couple of teams to 7 games if Rose is balling.

The West is still far and away better, they're just top heavy now, is all.

BatManu20
11-17-2015, 02:05 PM
Golden State is clearly the class of the league right now. Spurs, OKC, Clips are all second tier at the moment imo.

OKC looks more of the same to me, a 2-man show and lacking interior D when Ibaka is pulled away from the basket, and with a rookie coach still acclimating to the League. Still dangerous when healthy though.

I think the Clippers still look pretty good and are legitimate contenders out West, despite the atrocities that are their uniforms (easily one of the worst uniforms in NBA history). If healthy though, I'd like our chances against them in a 7-game series.

Spurs have looked good, not great offensively. Starting 5 still trying to find a rhythm and learn how to play off one another. Thankfully our defense has been fantastic, as has our bench. I think The offense will improve with time.

Cavs are still a virtual lock for the Finals out East. Nothing new there.

Only 10 games into the season though. By All-Star break we should have a better idea of where each team stands.

Kawhitstorm
11-17-2015, 02:13 PM
You can't make that assumption until the trade deadline: The Cavs didn't look like contender last season until they made the Mozgov/Shumpert trade.

The Rockets are bound to make a coaching change (Scott Brooks?) & their frontline has been decimated by injury:
-Beverley has to start & Lawson needs to be converted into a 6th man
-They need Motiejunas as he is their most dependable post scorer
-Their 3 point shots have also not been falling & it's only a matter of time before they start falling

Everyone on the Grizzlies perimeter players have been struggling w/ their shots but they are bound to regress to the mean:
-Mario Chalmers is already making a difference & opening up the floor for Gasol
-Conley is making his shots & they have won 3 straight

The Cippers are trying to figure who should be their starting small forward (Pierce) but they will be an elite team as long as ReDick/Cp3/Blake/DJ are all healthy.
-Pierce is cruising until the postseason
-Crawford/Lance have been ass so they can only play better (Crawford just had a breakout game)

OKC will be dangerous as long as Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka are healthy.
-They will most likely make a trade to get a starting wing-player, which would elevate them a contender

The Mavs are a playoff team despite their starter being walking-injured status

Pelicans have been decimated by injures & might already be out of it but the Suns/Jazz are looking like a complete team.

Sacramento can beat any team on a given night & Minnesota/Blazers don't look so terrible as a rebuilding team.

Lakers are a joke as expected:lol

As far as the East:
-The Cavs are hard to judge until Kyrie gets back but at the moment Bron is carrying the team & pulling out victories in the 4th quarter.
-The Bulls are the 2nd best team in the East but just lost to the Wolves in Chicago:lol
-The Hawks are the 3rd best team & just lost the the Jazz in Atlanta
-Pistons went on a Western conference road trip & left w/ a 4 game losing streak (should have been 5 if it's wasn't for the Blazers blowing a 20pt 4th quarter lead)
-Heat barely beat the Jazz in Miami
-Raptors just lost to the Kings
-The Celtics best player in Isaiah Thomas:lol
-The Pacers frontline is a joke: Hill/Ian:lol
....if anything the East's bottom dwellers aren't as shitty as past seasons.

Dre_7
11-17-2015, 02:53 PM

:lol Same here! He has been playing great.

Bartleby
11-17-2015, 03:02 PM

I came into it expecting a post about David West that quickly derailed into a Porker thread.

SAGirl
11-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Powell not a rookie. I think he's a second year player. He came into the Mavs from Boston last year in that Rondo trade. He barely played in Boston, and obviously not much for the Mavs last year either.

SAGirl
11-17-2015, 05:04 PM
So as not to repost very lengthy posts. I agree with Cry Havoc and Kawhitstorm (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49655)

TD 21
11-17-2015, 05:10 PM
I'm not willing to concede that it's the Warriors and everyone else or that the Warriors and Spurs are on a collision course. The depth isn't what it's been, but I still maintain that the top is stronger than it's been. I'm not as confident as the Rockets turning it around as the Thunder and Clippers, but I'm not writing them off as this point, either.

That being said, the Spurs need to run away and hide from 1 or 2 of those teams while they can. Not only will it give them breathing room for their difficult closing schedule, but because of how much easier it'll be to face a 6-8 seed. Maybe the Grizzlies get it together and revert to their stubborn selves, but either way, the Spurs should be able to beat them and any other team in that range in no more than 5. Having one easy series is crucial.

FkLA
11-17-2015, 05:37 PM

lol same

DarrinS
11-17-2015, 06:10 PM
I came into it expecting a post about David West that quickly derailed into a Porker thread.

:lol

100%duncan
11-17-2015, 08:27 PM
I agree with some of the stated above like high expectations, west being top heavy more than ever, and the East still sucking. Also good points about okc and clipper turning it around but idk okc might have injury issues all year and clippers chemistry issues. Which leads me back to my point that it might be gsw vs spurs in the end despite the fact that the spurs themselves have not exactly looked THAT good.

gospursgojas
11-17-2015, 08:29 PM
He seems to be getting the hang of the offense. Made some great passes last night.

spursistan
11-17-2015, 08:33 PM
He seems to be getting the hang of the offense. Made some great passes last night.
a way to not bother with reading OP :lol

gospursgojas
11-17-2015, 08:40 PM

a way to not bother with reading OP :lol

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2015, 09:35 PM
Hopefully Miami finds some shooting, trades Luol Deng(to acquire the former) and figures out how to utilize Dragic with the Bosh/Whiteside frontcourt, they're the only team in the East with the talent to challenge the Cavs, tbh..

100%duncan
11-17-2015, 09:36 PM
Hopefully Miami finds some shooting, trades Luol Deng(to acquire the former) and figures out how to utilize Dragic with the Bosh/Whiteside frontcourt, they're the only team in the East with the talent to challenge the Cavs, tbh..

Is that for real? Ive been dreaming for a wade bron playoff matchup since bron left

Kawhitstorm
11-17-2015, 11:02 PM
Leastern Conference playoffs teams are getting their asses handed to them tonight.:lol

Fireball
11-18-2015, 05:05 AM
Powell not a rookie. I think he's a second year player. He came into the Mavs from Boston last year in that Rondo trade. He barely played in Boston, and obviously not much for the Mavs last year either.

You are right. Still I like his game very much ... threat both inside/outside and a hustle player ... and JVG agrees with me :lol

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-18-2015, 06:40 AM
I think as of right now the record of east teams vs west is exactly the same, which is an improvement on previous seasons, albeit on a small sample size. Some lower eastern teams from last season seem to have improved - only Nets and Philly look really bad and with no chance to make the playoffs and in the Philly case it's by design.

buttsR4rebounding
11-18-2015, 08:48 AM

Me too.

Spurtacular
11-18-2015, 11:51 AM
I'd rather be in the Eastern bracket in the playoffs; but the West is not looking better than the East thus far.

Obstructed_View
11-18-2015, 12:51 PM
It's not a myth. He's just old and not very good anymore. Should have taken the money.

FireMicoHalili
11-18-2015, 09:31 PM
Can't know for sure, but I love the parity. Spurs are getting bunnies in their schedule, which is a good thing because it looks like the team is struggling to integrate the new guys. I wonder what the record would look like had they faced GS, LAC, HOU, and CLE early.

LongtimeSpursFan
11-18-2015, 09:32 PM

spursistan
12-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Spurs and Warriors are combined 38-4 (90%). The rest of the Western Conference is 111-148 (42%)... trending toward a weak year for the West...two elite teams and bunch of fodder who can beat each others in any series..

Assuming no major injuries, I would be shocked if the first pairing isn't the WCF..Clippers/Rockets will recover in the standing, but i don't see a big margin of improvement for both teams....

Keepin' it real
12-06-2015, 02:11 PM
The West is not very watchable this season. I almost regret buying the NBA League Pass, but being able to watch the Warriors games, like yesterday's at Toronto, are making it worth the extra money. Plus, I like to savor every OKC loss.

spursistan
12-16-2015, 12:50 PM
just checked the standings..the Nuggets , who at one point lost 8 straight games, are currently the 8th seed in the West with 11-14 record :lol..

Chinook
12-16-2015, 01:01 PM
just checked the standings..the Nuggets , who at one point lost 8 straight games, are currently the 8th seed in the West with 11-14 record :lol..

:lol Jazz

100%duncan
12-16-2015, 10:17 PM
Even OKC has a really bad looking record.

daslicer
12-16-2015, 10:45 PM
Even OKC has a really bad looking record.

Their record isn't bad considering they are 17-8. OKC is on pace to win somewhere between 55-62 games this year. They also have a six game winning streak.

100%duncan
12-16-2015, 10:55 PM
Their record isn't bad considering they are 17-8. OKC is on pace to win somewhere between 55-62 games this year. They also have a six game winning streak.

17-8 looks "ugh" imho but yah we aint far ahead

Mel_13
12-16-2015, 11:50 PM
:lol Jazz

Losing at home to a 6-18 team.

daslicer
12-17-2015, 03:22 AM
17-8 looks "ugh" imho but yah we aint far ahead

I don't like OKC but they are a team that is penciled in to win around 55-62 games a year if healthy.

playbonner15
12-17-2015, 12:58 PM
West, with his salary, is just expected to set screens just like Baynes :lol

SAGirl
12-18-2015, 02:03 PM
West, with his salary, is just expected to set screens just like Baynes :lol
Actually Baynes was a blue collar guy, who did have better PnR defense and boxed out other bigs much better. He also set really good screens (West screens are so so) and was able to finish as the rolling man pretty well (West not a very good roller).

West is a much better passer and midrange shooter, but not as good in other stuff as Baynes was. It doesn't matter, Baynes is gone and West has been good enough for us all things considered.

MultiTroll
12-19-2015, 02:41 AM
West was solid vs Clippers. :toast

SpursIndonesia
12-22-2015, 01:22 AM
You might feel West has been disappointing or inadequate (on vet min salary mind you), and that's fine. But you can't question his true motive & passion on winning over money.

Nice article from the Indystar.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2015/12/21/david-west-didnt-want-roll-dice-another-year-indiana/77713036/ (http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2015/12/21/david-west-didnt-want-roll-dice-another-year-indiana/77713036/)

timtonymanu
12-22-2015, 01:26 AM
You guys realize this thread isn't about David West, right? :lol

SquawkinHawkBigCock
12-22-2015, 01:31 AM
You guys realize this thread isn't about David West, right? :lol:lmao

SupremeGuy
12-22-2015, 01:32 AM
You guys realize this thread isn't about David West, right? :lol:lol

SAGirl
12-22-2015, 02:36 AM
You might feel West has been disappointing or inadequate (on vet min salary mind you), and that's fine. But you can't question his true motive & passion on winning over money.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2015/12/21/david-west-didnt-want-roll-dice-another-year-indiana/77713036/
The thread may not have originally been about D.West, but I read this article and it is a nice interview and piece with D.West.
Thanks for sharing it.
:tu

james evans
12-22-2015, 02:52 AM
as someone noted up here, I think adam west has the refs on their bullshit this season to make the west the "new east" so people will stop complaining about the top 16 team playoff format. No way does a whole fucking conference go to shit over the course of an off season. that's bullshit

100%duncan
12-22-2015, 02:58 AM

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2015/12/21/david-west-didnt-want-roll-dice-another-year-indiana/77713036/ (http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2015/12/21/david-west-didnt-want-roll-dice-another-year-indiana/77713036/)

Captain West :worthy:

SpursIndonesia
12-22-2015, 03:39 AM
You guys realize this thread isn't about David West, right? :lol

Yeah, my bad, i just don't want to make a new thread and just look for a thread with "West" in its title. :bang