PDA

View Full Version : Manu: Not happy with how they played against Blazers

SAGirl
11-17-2015, 03:55 PM
In spite of his own personal terrific game, coming up in the clutch in the 4th Q with the majority of the team's points, Manu was not satisified with how they played, and even said many of the guys in general were not happy with how they played.

In SA Express News he said:

“We gave him the ball in tough moments and tough spots,” Ginobili said. “We’ve got to give him the ball more in the flow. Not just give him the ball and wait.”

Aldridge said of his own performance:

At halftime Monday, Spurs coaches stressed ball movement. So that became Aldridge’s focus in the second half.“It’s about learning to be myself in the offense,” Aldridge said. “I don’t think I’ve figured that out yet. The whole ‘good-to-great’ passes, I have that in my head all the time.”
There won’t be many games in which Ginobili attempts nearly double the shots of Aldridge. He took 14 on Monday.
Asked earlier this season if he needs to learn to be more selfish and demand the ball, Aldridge shook his head.
“I can’t be selfish here, so no,” Aldridge said. “I’m just here to win.”

Manu stressed that they were only able to win this game because of the Blazer's own struggles shooting, and that had they come out playing like they did in this game in the previous one in Portland, they would have been blown out.

Said Manu:

“Nobody finished the game feeling good about the way we played,” he said. “The way we played is still far off from where we want to be.”

Link here: http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Ginobili-rides-to-the-rescue-for-poor-shooting-6637175.php?t=afce9e8ece927fc3fb&cmpid=twitter-premium

SAGirl
11-17-2015, 04:24 PM
My personal take:

While they don't want Lamarcus playing the same way he did in Portland, they do want him engaged offensively and need him to make shots. How that comes about they don't particularly know.

No. 1 reason is Lamarcus himself doesn't know. He played in only one system his whole career as a featured guy. What he can do here, he's not sure. He is not necessarily sure where his shots will come from, and he's got in his mind the passing issue, which doesn't come naturally for him and has him double thinking whether to be aggressive or pass up to someone else.

No. 2: the other reason is that everyone else has played together for a long time and have their habits, their spots etc. and they know each other well. They do not necessarily have terrific passers in the SL except for Tim. They get each other involved more out of familiarity with each other and knowing the offense for a long time. How to incorporate Lamarcus into that when he's also not a terrific passer, and has no chemistry, has been an up and down effort. Sometimes many possessions go in a row, for several minutes where other guys make plays and never does Lamarcus touch the ball or get involved. Other guys don't necessarily look for him to get shots. The SL consistently gets outscored and gets off to a slow start.

Last season we had this same issues as well, the SL got consistently outscored against the Clippers, and through many games last season they struggled to score. Kawhi had not reached a Zenith yet, but that was beside the point, the Spurs needed more scoring from the SL and thus got Aldridge. So far, Kawhi continues to score efficiently, but Aldridge has not been the co-star you hoped for.

Pop is committed to the process, so this is not all there is to it at this point. For the Spurs to overcome their SL scoring troubles, Lamarcus needs to score more. How they do that, is still the process.

itzsoweezee
11-17-2015, 04:24 PM
Just a few growing pains. Nothing to worry about. Luckily, the early schedule is soft. Hopefully this experience helps LMA when the competition picks up later in the season.

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2015, 04:55 PM
They were playing a bad team with limited talent, and that team showed why it has been the worst 4th quarter team in the league, so far..

People are really over-analyzing some of these games vs. all these bad teams, tbh:lol..

SAGirl
11-17-2015, 05:12 PM
People are really over-analyzing some of these games vs. all these bad teams, tbh:lol..
It is true, and things change from game to game, hopefully for the better. But Manu's own statements concerning last game align with what everyone observed: Lamarcus in hesitation/deferral mode, the SL off to a slow start.

I guess if we are counting on Manu playing at a 50/40/80 rate all season, plus the assists, defense and clutchness in 24 minutes of game, then we are all set. I think the feeling is that they are not yet playing to their full potential more than anything else.

TD 21
11-17-2015, 05:21 PM
They were playing a bad team with limited talent, and that team showed why it has been the worst 4th quarter team in the league, so far..

No, they're not. As I've been harping on in recent days, virtually every issue right now was an issue last season, which is what makes this concerning.

Save for maybe the 76ers game, this can't be explained away by coasting, either. There's clearly been a growing frustration in recent games, yet they've seemingly been powerless to do anything about it. In fact, the starters have the worst offensive rating in the league despite the soft schedule.

We all knew this would be a process, but I can't even say there's been incremental progress.

Blake
11-17-2015, 05:26 PM
That was a brutal game to watch. The kind of game where people call the Spurs boring.

DarrinS
11-17-2015, 06:07 PM
It wasn't a good game, but I thought Manu and Tony played well. Kind of an average game for Kawhi.

DarrinS
11-17-2015, 06:08 PM
I do like that they aren't just satisfied with a W, but are aiming for a standard.

tenbeersbold
11-17-2015, 06:13 PM
Yeah Tony's D on Lillard was fantastic compared to Patty who couldn't stop him.Was surprised Pop left Tony on the bench as long as he did in the 4th once Lillard started abusing Patty

SpurPadre
11-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Really hope LMA there isn't any doubt creeping into LMA because I'm sure the media will try to instigate shit if he doesn't watch out.

skulls138
11-17-2015, 06:54 PM
Hmmm, practically averaging a double/double, second in scoring and thats including last nights game, and doing it while trying to find where he fits in. All is lost!!!!

SpurPadre
11-17-2015, 06:59 PM
Hmmm, practically averaging a double/double, second in scoring and thats including last nights game, and doing it while trying to find where he fits in. All is lost!!!!

Of course, but he's a new player and we don't really know how he thinks as a prototypical "Spurs guy". And we've all seen his preseason quotes about wanting to put up numbers and get his shot attempts. I just want to make sure he buys into the system.

tbdog
11-17-2015, 07:05 PM

He is in my fantasy team and is not doing enough.

But in all seriousness, last nights game was a pretty ordinary. That was obvious.

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2015, 07:06 PM
No, they're not. As I've been harping on in recent days, virtually every issue right now was an issue last season, which is what makes this concerning.

Save for maybe the 76ers game, this can't be explained away by coasting, either. There's clearly been a growing frustration in recent games, yet they've seemingly been powerless to do anything about it. In fact, the starters have the worst offensive rating in the league despite the soft schedule.

We all knew this would be a process, but I can't even say there's been incremental progress.

:lol you know I'm not a blind homer, we usually agree on most things, I've accurately called the past 4 Spurs runs, both negative and positive..

You may be correct, but it's way too early to make conclusions about this team, especially when the 2 best jump-shooters in the SL are shooting wide open jump shots like Shaq..

DeRozan m8
11-17-2015, 10:47 PM
Too much of a circus going on about this tbh

weeks
11-17-2015, 11:02 PM
Why would LMA have doubt? He's looking around at his other suitors and what does he see? You think he's envious of Portland right now? He's probably relieved he can chill and have mediocre games and still be 8-2 .It's been an easy schedule sure, but we've pretty much taken care of business...not every western team can say that right now .

mystargtr34
11-17-2015, 11:19 PM
The net rating of the starting lineup is a bit of a concern for me.. they're something like a -10 net rating. Still early though.

SAGirl
11-17-2015, 11:51 PM
The net rating of the starting lineup is a bit of a concern for me.. they're something like a -10 net rating. Still early though.
^^^^
This is why some fans bring it up. Better to chat about things like this, than the same player-fan schitcks and hate threads that get old and stop being funny real fast.

Roger Freemason Jr.
11-18-2015, 02:26 AM
Lamarcus is going to be an absolute monster by the RRT. No question.

dabom
11-18-2015, 05:58 AM
Why would LMA have doubt? He's looking around at his other suitors and what does he see? You think he's envious of Portland right now? He's probably relieved he can chill and have mediocre games and still be 8-2 .It's been an easy schedule sure, but we've pretty much taken care of business...not every western team can say that right now .

Horse
11-18-2015, 01:36 PM
How about the ridiculous amount of open jumpers and even shot right at the basket that we missed. I'm not worried like someone else said those shots fall and things they can't play LMA as tight and he gets even easier looks.

ceperez
11-18-2015, 05:06 PM

It is not just the SpursTalk folk who notice the Spurs playing badly. The players themselves know that their play is crap!

Lostwingman
11-18-2015, 05:08 PM
That was a brutal game to watch. The kind of game where people call the Spurs boring.

Anyone looks boring shooting the percentages we were the first half.

TD 21
11-18-2015, 05:47 PM
:lol you know I'm not a blind homer, we usually agree on most things, I've accurately called the past 4 Spurs runs, both negative and positive..

You may be correct, but it's way too early to make conclusions about this team, especially when the 2 best jump-shooters in the SL are shooting wide open jump shots like Shaq..

I know.

I'm definitely correct, as far as the trends between last season and this, but contrary to popular belief, I haven't made any conclusions about this team.

outmap
11-18-2015, 06:15 PM
He is in my fantasy team and is not doing enough.

But in all seriousness, last nights game was a pretty ordinary. That was obvious.

SJax says hi to your fantasy team. ��