PDA

View Full Version : #1 ranked defense as far as points allowed

Kawhitstorm
11-19-2015, 12:37 AM
-#2 in points differential
-Could easily be the only undefeated home team in the league if the Warriors/Cavs didn't get a break in a couple of home games. Also, could easily be 11-0 if it wasn't for Waiters/Beal. Once LMA warms up to his new home, the offense is going to catch up w/ the defense.

SAGirl
11-19-2015, 12:39 AM
:bobo

:flag:

AFMadison
11-19-2015, 12:47 AM
-Could easily be the only undefeated home team in the league if the Warriors/Cavs didn't get a break in a couple of home games. Also, could easily be 11-0 if it wasn't for Waiters/Beal. Once LMA warms up to his new home, the offense is going to catch up w/ the defense.
Having the DPOY doesn't hurt either. If we can get the beautiful game going again with a stout defense... Look out

Cry Havoc
11-19-2015, 12:54 AM
The schedule has been slightly better than D-League to this point. It's good that we're shutting teams down but not entirely remarkable... yet.

Raven
11-19-2015, 12:56 AM
this D will be historic.

weeks
11-19-2015, 01:27 AM
The schedule has been slightly better than D-League to this point. It's good that we're shutting teams down but not entirely remarkable... yet.
agreed i want to see some real competition.

that said, we've faced teams that are playing better this year than they have in the past...lot of these eastern conference teams aren't a total joke like in years past...
and of course last season we definitely struggled to take care of business

all in all a pretty promising start...and let's remember, in 2014 we were 1-11 against playoff opponents at one point...

SAGirl
11-19-2015, 01:28 AM
I was thinking how much of this historic D is due to the fact we don't have Marco getting 22 mins per night. As much as he gave on offense, he gave everything right back and then some on defense.

Kyle has been disappointing, but surprisingly good on D.

Butler has not been shooting like Marco does, and he has a different game, being more of an energy guy, where Marco was a cutter and a very aggressive offensive player, and good passer. But even not shooting lights out, Butler gives more energy, rebounding, and even at his age he makes hustle plays.

Having Marco's minutes currently go to a combination of Patty/Kyle/Butler has resulted in better defense overall.

SPURt
11-19-2015, 01:31 AM
Mmmm... I love historic D! We're still talking basketball right?

KL2
11-19-2015, 01:38 AM
Losing Marco was the best thing to happen to this defense, it's crazy some people couldn't see how he dragged the entire team's d down.

Hoops Czar
11-19-2015, 01:39 AM
I was thinking how much of this historic D is due to the fact we don't have Marco getting 22 mins per night. As much as he gave on offense, he gave everything right back and then some on defense.

Butler has not been shooting like Marco does, and he has a different game, being more of an energy guy, where Marco was a cutter and a very aggressive offensive player, and good passer. But even not shooting lights out, Butler gives more energy, rebounding, and even at his age he makes hustle plays.

Having Marco's minutes currently go to a combination of Patty/Kyle/Butler has resulted in better defense overall.

Patty and defense shouldn't be used in the same sentence, I mean ever! He's the new Marco.

apalisoc_9
11-19-2015, 01:43 AM
Shitty opposition bro...

100%duncan
11-19-2015, 01:43 AM
Yes the.sched has been pretty weak but we have been at the top of d rankings the past seasons too and now we dont have marco anymore and with the absence.of splitter its looking good

Raven
11-19-2015, 01:44 AM

people are finally starting to see what type of cancer he is.. he is like if lung cancer and breast cancer had a son and that cancer had leukemia.

weeks
11-19-2015, 01:57 AM
people are finally starting to see what type of cancer he is.. he is like if lung cancer and breast cancer had a son and that cancer had leukemia.
dude we won a chip with marco on our team
just chill

SAGirl
11-19-2015, 02:03 AM
Patty and defense shouldn't be used in the same sentence, I mean ever! He's the new Marco.
Well most of Marco's minutes went to the other two and while Patty can't deal with any PG one on one, he does make a number of hustle plays and comes up with loose balls that Marco doesn't. Still most minutes have gone to Kyle/Rasual and I have to say Kawhi, since he's playing more minutes this season. That alone is enough to improve D.

Raven
11-19-2015, 02:04 AM
dude we won a chip with marco on our team
just chill

nope, wake up.

Fireball
11-19-2015, 02:06 AM

cool, finally I know what I wish the short bus crew for christmas

SAGirl
11-19-2015, 02:07 AM
Mmmm... I love historic D! We're still talking basketball right?
A little hyperbole but just following Raven' s initiative. I like Marco offensively, but I do think our defense has improved without him.

weeks
11-19-2015, 02:22 AM
nope, wake up.
#1 seed and a fucking championship with him playing real minutes. that's some cancer

get over yourself, jesus christ.

daslicer
11-19-2015, 02:27 AM
A few more defensive stats. The spurs are ranked third in defensive FG percentage, and 12 in 3 point FG percentage. They definitely need to work on defending the 3 point line better but outside of that they have been overall great defensively this year.

YGWHI
11-19-2015, 02:39 AM
Having the DPOY doesn't hurt either.

He's doing his job...

SAGirl
11-19-2015, 02:44 AM
A few more defensive stats. The spurs are ranked third in defensive FG percentage, and 12 in 3 point FG percentage. They definitely need to work on defending the 3 point line better but outside of that they have been overall great defensively this year.
I have seen a few open 3s in all recent games, some caused by overhelping in the paint, but some is just coming off screens.

AFMadison
11-19-2015, 02:49 AM
A little hyperbole but just following Raven' s initiative. I like Marco offensively, but I do think our defense has improved without him.
This ^. I loved Marco on the team but he was a liability on D. I think our defense has improved more with LMA over Splitter as well. Splitter was undoubtedly a better defender than LMA, but anyone who matched up with Splitter basically didn't have a defensive assignment except for "box him out". LMA tires his matchups out offensively much more than Splitter. Plays well into our defensive schemes. We do this a lot with heavy scorers. Tire them out defensively so they don't produce as much offensively.

Spurtacular
11-19-2015, 02:52 AM

That Beal sure is good. We should trade Kawhi for him. If not him, then Ariza.

SAGirl
11-19-2015, 02:53 AM
This ^. I loved Marco on the team but he was a liability on D. I think our defense has improved more with LMA over Splitter as well. Splitter was undoubtedly a better defender than LMA, but anyone who matched up with Splitter basically didn't have a defensive assignment except for "box him out". LMA tires his matchups out offensively much more than Splitter. Plays well into our defensive schemes. We do this a lot with heavy scorers. Tire them out defensively so they don't produce as much offensively.
Also, Lamarcus give us more minutes per game than splitter. I do miss Splitter but we could not afford both him and Aldridge

Mr Bones
11-19-2015, 03:58 AM
He's doing his job...

:tu

100%duncan
11-19-2015, 05:50 AM
He's doing his job...

:wow

ceperez
11-19-2015, 05:54 AM

Yes, I agree here. Nuggets in the last game scored 58 points in the first half. Letting your opponent shoot 58 points in a half is not playing defense.

It could be entirely possible that the Spurs are just 'practicing' in defense and playing the team generically. Meaning, not really forcing the opponent to play uncomfortable shots.

ceperez
11-19-2015, 05:58 AM

I watched the game and think Butler can be an adequate replacement of Marco.

Butler is not as good as Marco offensively, however Marco's offense doesn't seem to work in post season with stingier defenses.

However, Butler is much better defensively, he has a lot of length that helps really eat up space. He also has a confident 3 point attempt, so he's useful in spacing the floor. Spurs may have just lucked out again with an old aging player that just gives enough of the right things.

SPURt
11-19-2015, 09:37 AM
This is definitely true, especially if Rasual continues to shoot a good percentage and KA continues his growth as a player.

dweaver99027
11-19-2015, 11:52 AM
Other than some mental lapses when leading big, the defense passes the eye test as well. Kawhi has been historically good in man-to-man coverage and Timmy cleans up everything in the paint too. If we can limit offensive rebounding and Manu and Tony keep defending like they do now, this is going to be a Top 3 defense at the end of the season.

Kawhitstorm
11-19-2015, 02:48 PM
That Beal sure is good. We should trade Kawhi for him. If not him, then Ariza.

Could you be any lamer?:sleep

Chinook
11-19-2015, 02:53 PM

Belinoma

Buddy Mignon
11-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Who the fuck have you pussies played?

Splits
11-19-2015, 04:01 PM
Who the fuck have you pussies played?

:lol 2-9 against the 6th easiest schedule in the league

aal04
11-19-2015, 04:37 PM
Whats our biggest issue?

I think we have one of the best front courts in the nba.

We have Kawhi and Green on the perimeter.. Maybe our PG defense because we like 6ft PGs, and someone like Westbrook can waltz past them 11 times out of 10.

Solid D
11-19-2015, 05:23 PM
The Miami Heat are an amazingly good defensive team so far. At the moment, they have the best defensive Opp FG% at .405 (Bulls 2nd .408, Spurs 3rd .417) Hassan Whiteside (who knew?) is blowing it up from the weak side defending center leading the league in blocks by a wide margin. The guy was a D-leaguer/Euro/China guy for several years there and now he's playing to the max (as in... toward a max contract).

What is also amazing is that Golden State is so good offensively AND defensively, they rain 3s at a high rate while nobody is able to shoot 3s on them (.278), to the point that they have a +15.4 point diff. San Antonio is balanced but the Warriors, well, they have it all going right now. These are the two most balanced teams offensively and defensively.

SAGirl
11-19-2015, 05:39 PM
What is also amazing is that Golden State is so good offensively AND defensively, they rain 3s at a high rate while nobody is able to shoot 3s on them (.278), to the point that they have a +15.4 point diff. San Antonio is balanced but the Warriors, well, they have it all going right now. These are the two most balanced teams offensively and defensively.
It makes you wonder what will happen to them when the 3s are not falling at that rate. If they are falling, no one will defeat them, you are in for a long night basically, but if they go cold for a stretch they will struggle like the hawks last season when korver cooled down a bit.

Spurtacular
11-20-2015, 12:52 AM
Could you be any lamer?:sleep

Sounds like a question for yourself. You must ask it daily. "How can I be lamer today?" :lol

Kawhitstorm
11-20-2015, 01:02 AM
It makes you wonder what will happen to them when the 3s are not falling at that rate. If they are falling, no one will defeat them, you are in for a long night basically, but if they go cold for a stretch they will struggle like the hawks last season when korver cooled down a bit.

Draymond Green is the type of guy that could go cold in a series if he's being worked over on defense. There is a possibility that he has to face Z-Bo/Blake/LMA for 3 straight series & that might ware him out defensively. Battier couldn't hit the side of the barn in 2013 (until Gm 7 of the Finals:bang) & he recently stated that playing small-ball 4 took a toll on him in his second season w/ the Heat after having a decent run in 2012. The Spurs have Tim/Diaw/LMA/West & even Kawhi to throw at him so he won't be getting any breaks.

Kawhitstorm
11-20-2015, 01:05 AM
Sounds like a question for yourself. You must ask it daily. "How can I be lamer today?" :lol

You just confirmed to me that you can be lamer than lame w/ that statement; no further questions your honor.

SpurPadre
11-20-2015, 01:06 AM
Who can Tony hide behind on D against the Dubs?

lilbthebasedgod
11-20-2015, 01:23 AM
Noone. Just let curry do this thing. Curry will score thirty against parker or against the most elite point guards indiscriminately

Kawhitstorm
11-20-2015, 02:29 AM

You just put him on Harrison Barnes & bait the Warriors into running their offense through him instead of Curry

SAGirl
11-20-2015, 02:35 AM
You just put him on Harrison Barnes & bait the Warriors into running their offense through him instead of Curry
Harrison 21 points tonight. Contract year for him. Nope, I don't think you hide Tony. If anything, you do a switch scheme or something, but there won't be any hiding against GSW. ONly for closing out the game or a possession here or there, I don't think you hide Tony.

Kawhitstorm
11-20-2015, 03:26 AM
Harrison 21 points tonight. Contract year for him. Nope, I don't think you hide Tony. If anything, you do a switch scheme or something, but there won't be any hiding against GSW. ONly for closing out the game or a possession here or there, I don't think you hide Tony.

I didn't say HIDE him, I just said BAIT the Warriors into running their offense through Barnes. Pop did the same thing back in the 2013 postseason when Barnes was on a roll; rather have Barnes beat you w/ post-ups than Curry torching Tony. It's similar to how Carlisle baited the 2014 Spurs into running their offense through Kawhi post-ups by putting Monta Ellis on him which stalled the offense. You can even go back to the days when Pop let Amare do whatever he wished in the paint to prevent 3 point attempts.

"Switching schemes" only work when teams have TWO competent defenders otherwise the offense will just force a switch back to the weaklink by running multiple PnRs in the same possession.

SAGirl
11-20-2015, 03:34 AM
I didn't say HIDE him, I just said BAIT the Warriors into running their offense through Barnes. Pop did the same thing back in the 2013 postseason when Barnes was on a roll; rather have Barnes beat you w/ post-ups than Curry torching Tony. It's similar to how Carlisle baited the 2014 Spurs into running their offense through Kawhi post-ups by putting Monta Ellis on him which stalled the offense. You can even go back to the days when Pop let Amare do whatever he wished in the paint to prevent 3 point attempts.

"Switching schemes" only work when teams have TWO competent defenders otherwise the offense will just force a switch back to the weaklink by running multiple PnRs in the same possession.
Much like Kawhi is not the same as he was in 2014, I don't think Barnes is the same as 2013, and Curry plays a lot off the ball too at times. I understand your point, but I don't think it will be very successful other than as you say for maybe taking someone by surprise. I do think Barnes is bound to figure it out. He almost killed us in 2013 too, he went off. Its a gamble with GSW at this point. Curry will get his regardless. I actually think the best strategy is keeping everyone else under control, somewhat like the Heat in 2014. Lebron worked hard for his shots, but he still got his points. Others were shut down however, and we went off.

apalisoc_9
11-20-2015, 03:53 AM
Harrison Barnes :lmao

buttsR4rebounding
11-20-2015, 05:35 AM
Yes, I agree here. Nuggets in the last game scored 58 points in the first half. Letting your opponent shoot 58 points in a half is not playing defense.

It could be entirely possible that the Spurs are just 'practicing' in defense and playing the team generically. Meaning, not really forcing the opponent to play uncomfortable shots.
The point production was primarily due to 15 2nd chance points in the 1st half. Denver shot under 40% for the half.

Raven
11-20-2015, 05:43 AM

pretty obvious it's barnes.

Kawhitstorm
11-20-2015, 07:38 AM
Much like Kawhi is not the same as he was in 2014, I don't think Barnes is the same as 2013, and Curry plays a lot off the ball too at times. I understand your point, but I don't think it will be very successful other than as you say for maybe taking someone by surprise. I do think Barnes is bound to figure it out. He almost killed us in 2013 too, he went off. Its a gamble with GSW at this point. Curry will get his regardless. I actually think the best strategy is keeping everyone else under control, somewhat like the Heat in 2014. Lebron worked hard for his shots, but he still got his points. Others were shut down however, and we went off.

Curry could EASILY average 45 against Tony; would rather dare Barnes to average 30 shooting over Tony. If he posts up or drives, Tim can actually play help defense unlike on the perimeter against Curry.

UNT Eagles 2016
11-20-2015, 10:55 AM
Barnes or Thompson for sure... or, if Bogut/Ezeli are in the game, you can hide Parker on them

Solid D
11-20-2015, 02:29 PM
I'm sure Tony, the "Fiery Francophile," will take his turns guarding Curry...as will Danny, Kawhi and Patty. There will be lots of switching on screens, so lots of variations - of who defends who - will naturally happen...and that's just for half-court offense. In transition, there will be plenty of cross-matching depending on who expediently can get to Curry on the move after a COP.

Barnes is no slouch. He's in a contract year, he's improved every season, and he's the Warriors 3rd leading scorer at 13.5 PPG (more than TP is currently averaging).

But yeah, Spurs play 5-man defense. None of this "hiding" business going on with the Spurs.

Dex
11-20-2015, 02:33 PM
I'm sure Tony, the "Fiery Francophile," will take his turns guarding Curry...as will Danny, Kawhi and Patty. There will be lots of switching on screens, so lots of variations - of who defends who - will naturally happen...and that's just for half-court offense. In transition, there will be plenty of cross-matching depending on who expediently can get to Curry on the move after a COP.

Barnes is no slouch. He's in a contract year, he's improved every season, and he's the Warriors 3rd leading scorer at 13.5 PPG (more than TP is currently averaging).

But yeah, Spurs play 5-man defense. None of this "hiding" business going on with the Spurs.
Solid D with the solid take.

Spurs will play the matchups through the game, and likely sic Kawhi or Danny on Curry to slow him down in crunch time.

YGWHI
11-20-2015, 06:01 PM
It's similar to how Carlisle baited the 2014 Spurs into running their offense through Kawhi post-ups by putting Monta Ellis on him which stalled the offense.
Not sure how the Spurs running their offense through Kawhi when he averaged only 9 FGA per game in the series and everyone was thinking why the Spurs didn't exploit that matchup...barely he got the ball in the post.

Anyway, it's a good point. The Spurs should neutralize Curry's big impact on the game.
If that the case, I'd rather to let Thompson go crazy than Barnes. When his shot abandons him, Thompson is essentially useless. Barnes's more verstile offensively and has the ability to contribute in multiple ways.

Kawhitstorm
11-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Not sure how the Spurs running their offense through Kawhi when he averaged only 9 FGA per game in the series and everyone was thinking why the Spurs didn't exploit that matchup...barely he got the ball in the post.

Anyway, it's a good point. The Spurs should neutralize Curry's big impact on the game.
If that the case, I'd rather to let Thompson go crazy than Barnes. When his shot abandons him, Thompson is essentially useless. Barnes's more verstile offensively and has the ability to contribute in multiple ways.

You big dummy, running offense =! Shot attempts. He kept dribbling into double teams & throwing the ball away.

Kawhitstorm
11-23-2015, 04:39 PM

I'm not sure why y'all are being stubborn & acting like the 2013 series didn't happen. Barnes was playing out of his mind in the 2013 postseason but that didn't stop Pop from putting Porker on him. The only thing that has changed in that Draymond Green is now Boris Diaw 2.0. Let's also not forget that Kawhi (not Porker) was guarding the point guard (Chris Paul) in the team's most recent postseason series.

Kawhitstorm
11-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Barnes or Thompson for sure... or, if Bogut/Ezeli are in the game, you can hide Parker on them

Bogut/Ezeli would destroy him on the offensive boards, on rim runs, lobs or simply postups (Bogut/Ezeli have dependable jump hooks in their offensive arsenal unlike Tiago Shitter).

UNT Eagles 2016
11-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Warriors ranked #13 on defense, give up over 100 ppg :lmao most overrated defensive team. evar. Their offense is amazing though, and their 14.4+ point differential cannot be disputed.

Spurs sitting pretty at the #1 spot, but we've played a lot of bad offensive teams thus far, so who knows.

exstatic
11-23-2015, 07:28 PM
Warriors ranked #13 on defense, give up over 100 ppg :lmao most overrated defensive team. evar. Their offense is amazing though, and their 14.4+ point differential cannot be disputed.

Spurs sitting pretty at the #1 spot, but we've played a lot of bad offensive teams thus far, so who knows.

You're a FUCKING RETARD. They give up 100+ because their pace is super fast. Their point differential is 14.4. That is beyond elite.

The nineteen nineties called. They want their old, outdated stats back.

lilbthebasedgod
11-23-2015, 07:29 PM

You have to account for pace. When you play as fast as they do the other team gets more opportunities to score more. I agree they are overrated though.

HarlemHeat37
11-23-2015, 07:30 PM
:lol they just easily won a title and are 15-0, there's nothing overrated about them other than Klay Thompson, tbh..

TD 21
11-23-2015, 08:00 PM
If any other elite team didn't have to face another elite team (the Cavs' injuries disqualify them from this distinction) in a series, they'd easily win the title, too.

UNT Eagles 2016
11-24-2015, 09:09 PM
Still the best defensive team in the league :toast only giving up 91 points per game... that is putting the clamps on.

Kawhitstorm
11-24-2015, 09:43 PM
Spurs are currently a rich man's version of the 2010s Memphis Grizzlies or a modern version of the 98-99 Spurs:lol