PDA

View Full Version : The Fa!!!ot word is offensive so stop using it...

SequSpur
11-19-2015, 10:41 AM
Come on now.....

dabom
11-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Faggot

hater
11-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Faggots is bundle of sticks. Why would a bundle of sticks be offensive?

RD2191
11-19-2015, 10:45 AM
:lolOP begging to get shit on.

dbestpro
11-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Fallot is the name of a French cardiologist from a long time ago.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-19-2015, 10:48 AM
You know, faggot to most people doesn't mean Gay. To me at least it I call someone a faggot that acts like a super ultra jerk. I call gay people Gay or if I am making fun of them I call them Fruitcakes or more extreme, ass rapers. Because a lot of gay guys do act like fruitcakes. I wish they acted more like Rock Hudson, Rupert Everett. Ian McKellan, Matt Bomer, etc. Like normal dudes, but who just like to have sex with other dudes for some messed up reason which I can't phantom.

100%duncan
11-19-2015, 10:55 AM
Welcome back faggot

freemeat
11-19-2015, 10:55 AM
You know, faggot to most people doesn't mean Gay. To me at least it I call someone a faggot that acts like a super ultra jerk. I call gay people Gay or if I am making fun of them I call them Fruitcakes or more extreme, ass rapers. Because a lot of gay guys do act like fruitcakes. I wish they acted more like Rock Hudson, Rupert Everett. Ian McKellan, Matt Bomer, etc. Like normal dudes, but who just like to have sex with other dudes for some messed up reason which I can't phantom.

It's actually incredibly offensive, even if you can't "phantom" why.

The usage of that word on this forum is really the biggest reason why I do not interact here often. I'm sure it's caused a huge decrease in traffic to this site.

Canyonero
11-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Fagot in Spanish is a musical instrument.

RD2191
11-19-2015, 10:59 AM

The usage of that word on this forum is really the biggest reason why I do not interact here often. I'm sure it's caused a huge decrease in traffic to this site.
Why is it offensive?

I. Hustle
11-19-2015, 11:01 AM
It's unphantomable how so many of these threads keep popping up.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-19-2015, 11:02 AM
Why is it offensive?

I don't use the word that often (hardly at all) and I don't find it offensive at all. Even if I were gay. Faggot is just a word. Now saying someone is a motherfucker, or a cocksucker, or a carpert muncher, or an ass raper, tec. Those are name calling that apply some sort of offensive action.

But faggot doesn't apply anything other than you are gay or in some cases it doesn't even apply that.

RD2191
11-19-2015, 11:06 AM
I don't use the word that often (hardly at all) and I don't find it offensive at all. Even if I were gay. Faggot is just a word. Now saying someone is a motherfucker, or a cocksucker, or a carpert muncher, or an ass raper, tec. Those are name calling that apply some sort of offensive action.

But faggot doesn't apply anything other than you are gay or in some cases it doesn't even apply that.
Pretty much.

DisAsTerBot
11-19-2015, 11:08 AM
like moths to a flame.

lol phantom

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-19-2015, 11:09 AM
:lol Nice thread.

Sequ's dom must be on vacation.

SupremeGuy
11-19-2015, 11:14 AM
:lol Nice thread.

Sequ's dom must be on vacation.:lol

freemeat
11-19-2015, 11:20 AM
Why is it offensive?

If someone is offended by it, it means it's offensive, even if you do not understand why.

This is like saying that the "n word" is the same as labeling someone as a black man.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the show 'Louie' and have seen this, but for those who haven't, it's a wonderful little explanation. Remember that this is written by someone who commonly uses that word in his comedy routine.

https://youtu.be/CK5KmhLKEwM

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-19-2015, 11:26 AM
If someone is offended by it, it means it's offensive, even if you do not understand why.

This is like saying that the "n word" is the same as labeling someone as a black man.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the show 'Louie' and have seen this, but for those who haven't, it's a wonderful little explanation. Remember that this is written by someone who commonly uses that word in his comedy routine.

https://youtu.be/CK5KmhLKEwM

"N" word. Seriously, black people use that word ALL THE TIME with each other. Guys I play basketball call each other that all the time. These guys took what was once offensive and made it a cool slang. Why, because "N" word doesn't apply any sort of action. It's just a word to identify someone as being black but being offensive about it.

That is what I am getting at faggot. Yeah, it's meant to be offensive. But it is just applying that you are gay, which if you are, why would it offend you. I believe it isn't something people should use in their everyday vocabulary, but at the same time, it isn't as offensive as other ways you can address gay people. IMO, it's one of the least offensive. IMO, people are just too sensitive nowadays.

Cry Havoc
11-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Like normal dudes, but who just like to have sex with other dudes for some messed up reason which I can't phantom.

:lmao

Cry Havoc
11-19-2015, 11:29 AM
"N" word. Seriously, black people use that word ALL THE TIME with each other. Guys I play basketball call each other that all the time. These guys took what was once offensive and made it a cool slang. Why, because "N" word doesn't apply any sort of action. It's just a word to identify someone as being black but being offensive about it.

You need to study reappropriation before you speak about things that you are seriously clueless about.

Proxy
11-19-2015, 11:32 AM

lol, the semantics for the word have changed. It's derogatory because it means gay

dabom
11-19-2015, 11:34 AM
This is fucking 'merica. Get yo faggot selves off my porch and anyone that is offended by the word.

RD2191
11-19-2015, 11:40 AM
This is fucking 'merica. Get yo faggot selves off my porch and anyone that is offended by the word.
Tbh. I find faggots kissing each other offensive but it's still all over television.

will_spurs
11-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Come on now.....

/signed

NameLess Scrub
11-19-2015, 11:42 AM

That is what I am getting at faggot. Yeah, it's meant to be offensive. But it is just applying that you are gay, which if you are, why would it offend you. I believe it isn't something people should use in their everyday vocabulary, but at the same time, it isn't as offensive as other ways you can address gay people. IMO, it's one of the least offensive. IMO, people are just too sensitive nowadays.

I guess by "apply" you mean "imply"?

I also guess the word is seen as offensive either because is a derogatory word for gay, or because it is used as an insult and at the same time means gay.

JeffDuncan
11-19-2015, 11:44 AM
faggot: "a contemptible or dislikable person." (Considered offensive.)

If you think the word "faggot" refers only to a homosexual, you are mistaken.

Faggot.

Also, by the way,

"usage: This term is usually used with disparaging intent and perceived as insulting. However, it is also used by homosexuals as a positive term of self-reference."

So think of it as positive.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-19-2015, 11:56 AM
You need to study reappropriation before you speak about things that you are seriously clueless about.

Clueless about. So people calling each other N word and I am hearing and witnessing it everyday, I am some how clueless that I am witnessing firsthand these people really don't give a shit what something meant before and don't take offense in it anymore.

Same with faggot. A lot of people I know just use it as a word to call someone they don't like. It has no gay connotation whatsoever. It is just some people are too sensitive about words.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-19-2015, 11:58 AM
faggot: "a contemptible or dislikable person." (Considered offensive.)

If you think the word "faggot" refers only to a homosexual, you are mistaken.

Faggot.

Also, by the way,

"usage: This term is usually used with disparaging intent and perceived as insulting. However, it is also used by homosexuals as a positive term of self-reference."

So think of it as positive.

Thank you for posting this. This is EXACTLY HOW most people I know who use this word imply it. It can mean gay in a harsher since. But that isn't the only meaning for the word faggot. Like I said, a super ultra jerk. To me, that is a faggot.

freemeat
11-19-2015, 11:59 AM

If you are calling a man who is homosexual "gay," then you are stating a fact and labeling him as something that he would label himself. You are safe. No foul!

When you are calling a heterosexual man "gay," it is usually in the context of something meant as an insult. Example: you're talking with your heterosexual friend and he says he likes the movie 'The Devil Wears Prada,' so you call him "gay." He's not gay, because he is heterosexual, but you call him that as a sort of derogatory statement. Now, you're talking to your friend, so you're probably safe. He knows you're fucking with him, and you're judgingly teasing him in a manner in which you will both find amusing.

Now, what would you call your heterosexual friend in the context of that conversation if you had a homosexual friend, a gay man, also involved? Would you call the heterosexual friend "gay" as a way to mock him? You don't think that it would offend the friend who is homosexual?

In regards to your experiences with black men calling each other the "n word," there is a reason that is acceptable for them but not for you. If you are not black and you call a black man a "******," you are conjuring up a long, dark, nasty history of racism, murder, abuse, rape, slavery, and general degradation perpetuated on a group of people based on the color of their skin. When a black man calls another black man "******," it conjurs up a history that may involve nothing more than the relationship between the two men, or the relationships between men who are grouped by their society because of the color of their skin. No black man ever strung another black man up by his neck because he was black, or because he was a "******." Got it?

This works the same way for races, genders, and religions of all kinds. Every person in a sort of "categorized" group has some sort of derogatory term used to label them. In many cases, the members of those group will use the term for each other. It is usually endearing in that context. Sometimes it's not.

If you are not black, you wouldn't walk into a group of black men and call any of them "******," because you know they will be offended by it. You may or may not understand why, but it doesn't change the fact that it is offensive to them.

You may be correct in saying that people may be just too sensitive nowadays, but it doesn't change the fact that those people you're referring to are sensitive.

Not all gay men may think the term "faggot" is offensive, but some of them do. That's the way it is.

If it wasn't so offensive, why would members of this forum use it to insult each other? The answer is that they use it to insult each other because it is offensive.

Yeah, it's meant to be offensive. But it is just applying that you are gay, which if you are, why would it offend you.

So, "faggot' is offensive by your own admission. If you thought the person you directed the offense at was in fact gay, why wouldn't you just call him "gay"? The answer is because, in the context in which you use the offending word, you are not referring to your target's sexuality. You are using it as an insult. When you use a term as an insult, you are insulting.

You know that when you use the term, you are purposefully using it to be offensive. You cannot, in good conscience, then defend your use of the term as not offensive.

dabom
11-19-2015, 12:01 PM
If you can't express your idea or thought without a wall of text I have to assume you are a dumbass. Maybe a faggot too. :lmao

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-19-2015, 12:05 PM
Freemeat, I have never in my life called a straight man Gay. I'll say you are acting like a fruitcake. And yes, even straight men can act fruity w/o being Gay. Like Pee Wee Herman and such. I find it disturbing when men act more feminine than 90% of the Women out there. Really, there is something mentally wrong with you.

To me, and it seems like its the standard definition nowaday, Faggots are people who think they can act and conduct in any manner, no matter if it offends those around them. You know, complete assholes.

dabom
11-19-2015, 12:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOLbuFVG0fs

Replace the word retard with faggot tbh.

Retard might also be considered an "offensive" word by faggots in general.

freemeat
11-19-2015, 12:09 PM
Faggots are people who think they can act and conduct in any manner, no matter if it offends those around them.

Everything that you've said thus far shows that you do not care whether or not you offend people around you.

freemeat
11-19-2015, 12:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOLbuFVG0fs

Replace the word retard with faggot tbh.

Retard might also be considered an "offensive" word by faggots in general.

You do realize this is a comedy show in which the main character is being parodied for being a moron, yeah?

dabom
11-19-2015, 12:17 PM
You do realize this is a comedy show in which the main character is being parodied for being a moron, yeah?

You do know if it was considered "offensive" it wouldn't be on national tv right? You faggot.

freemeat
11-19-2015, 12:22 PM
You do know if it was considered "offensive" it wouldn't be on national tv right? You faggot.

That's not how that works. You fail to understand the joke in the video you posted.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-19-2015, 12:22 PM
Everything that you've said thus far shows that you do not care whether or not you offend people around you.

No. What I said is, I hardly use the word, when I use it, it doesn't mean a gay person whatsoever.

And it's just not me apparently, because the standard urban definition of Faggot means exactly the way I use it.

The only offense taken would be that I use the word faggot in my vocabulary sparingly. And it doesn't matter what context I am using this word.

No matter how PC you are, you are going to offend someone. there are 3 billion Muslims in the world who would taken extreme offense on how we live are everyday lives and the language we use. But I am not purposely trying to offend them and going out of my way to do such. See what I mean.

K...
11-19-2015, 12:23 PM
Tbh. I find faggots kissing each other offensive but it's still all over television.

Stop watching those shows Rob

dabom
11-19-2015, 12:24 PM
That's not how that works. You fail to understand the joke in the video you posted.

Like I've said before. If encountering the word faggot is one of the most offensive things to you, you should just get off the internet tbh.

dabom
11-19-2015, 12:25 PM

Is the word offensive to you K...?

K...
11-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Is the word offensive to you K...?

Yes, it shows you are a moron each time you use it.

But I've used it. Once or twice, it's no big deal. But if used extensively without irony it is offensive. So yeah, moron.

freemeat
11-19-2015, 12:32 PM
No. What I said is, I hardly use the word, when I use it, it doesn't mean a gay person whatsoever.

And it's just not me apparently, because the standard urban definition of Faggot means exactly the way I use it.

The only offense taken would be that I use the word faggot in my vocabulary sparingly. And it doesn't matter what context I am using this word.

No matter how PC you are, you are going to offend someone. there are 3 billion Muslims in the world who would taken extreme offense on how we live are everyday lives and the language we use. But I am not purposely trying to offend them and going out of my way to do such. See what I mean.

Not calling people "faggot" isn't being PC. It's making the decision to not be an asshole.

Like I've said before. If encountering the word faggot is one of the most offensive things to you, you should just get off the internet tbh.

This is the kind of attitude which begets racism, bigotry, and hate.

dabom
11-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Yes, it shows you are a moron each time you use it.

But I've used it. Once or twice, it's no big deal. But if used extensively without irony it is offensive. So yeah, moron.

It's only fine to use it but on your terms right? Isn't that funny? :lol

I'm sure the French would be all for using the word.

dabom
11-19-2015, 12:41 PM
Not calling people "faggot" isn't being PC. It's making the decision to not be an asshole.

Cause I said leave the internet if you can't stand the word faggot? Faggot shouldn't even be any where near your "offensive" list tbh.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-19-2015, 12:43 PM

True. But seriously, I have only called a couple people faggots to their face and believe me, they weren't remotely gay. It has mostly been on the basketball court. You know guys that undercut you, throw elbows, throw cheapshots and they do it to everyone. I reserve that word for the people I hold in the highest contempt.

Like I said, I don't use this word in my everyday vocabulary. But when I come across a person who has no regards whatsoever about others feeling or safety, I'll be honest, I think those people are faggots. It has nothing to do with that said person's sexual orientation whatsoever.

I don't use offensive language very often, but when I do, I probably have had a couple of bottle of Dos Equis. Stay PC my friends.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-19-2015, 12:46 PM
Cause I said leave the internet if you can't stand the word faggot? Faggot shouldn't even be any where near your "offensive" list tbh.

You can't say that. Some people might have been called this through HS or in a situation that traumatized them. Just like the "N" word. These young guys and middle-age guys like myself use this word like nothing. But to an elderly black gentlemen, they probably still find the word highly offensive.

This is what I mean by taking into consideration people's feelings, stations and situations. A faggot wouldn't careless. See what I mean.

dabom
11-19-2015, 12:47 PM
He isn't black though. Ask him.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-19-2015, 12:50 PM
He isn't black though. Ask him.

It doesn't matter. He could be gay or had a friend/family member that was gay that was ridiculed with the word that just turns him off to it.

What you might find not offensive, could be extremely offensive to someone else just based off the experience he has encounter in his life. I am just saying, take that into consideration. Everyone walks in different shoes.

dabom
11-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Are you gay freemeat?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-19-2015, 12:54 PM
Are you gay freemeat (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=529)?

Seriously, dude. Have some class.

SequSpur
11-19-2015, 12:55 PM
The current culture of this message board is really f'ed up... Obviously some of you don't respect it which is sad.... Spurstalk represents the Spurs but most of you represent jack asses.... Maybe you all should clean it up a bit....

dabom
11-19-2015, 12:55 PM
Seriously, dude. Have some class.

Let the man answer.

dabom
11-19-2015, 12:57 PM
The current culture of this message board is really f'ed up... Obviously some of you don't respect it which is sad.... Spurstalk represents the Spurs but most of you represent jack asses.... Maybe you all should clean it up a bit....

The usual "sky is falling" thread. :lol

Killakobe81
11-19-2015, 01:42 PM

:lol :toast

Solid D
11-19-2015, 02:10 PM
I agree with Sequ. He does have 3 exclamation points in "Fa!!!ot," but yeah.

moisaenz
11-19-2015, 02:28 PM
Ah people getting their feelings hurt

shazork
11-19-2015, 02:29 PM
The word is offensive, period. I know cuz I'm gay and it offends me. No matter how far you go to rationalize your use of the word, and no matter how much (and how quickly) our culture has changed, it continues to offend.

If you don't mind or don't care that it offends people, then you're a dick.

snickles
11-19-2015, 02:30 PM
so what about ****. is it ok to say ****? or does saying **** make me a faggot?

edit: ugh, seriously?

dabom
11-19-2015, 02:32 PM
The word is offensive, period. I know cuz I'm gay and it offends me. No matter how far you go to rationalize your use of the word, and no matter how much (and how quickly) our culture has changed, it continues to offend.

If you don't mind or don't care that it offends people, then you're a dick.
:lol

SequSpur
11-19-2015, 02:40 PM
I agree with Sequ. He does have 3 exclamation points in "Fa!!!ot," but yeah.

Gee thanks...

UNT Eagles 2016
11-19-2015, 02:51 PM
OP is a faggot. :toast

In America, we have the right to be homophobic... libtarded PC police be damned.

wildcardX
11-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Can I still call someone a pussy without offending any felines out there?

vma16
11-19-2015, 02:55 PM
The only B word one shall call a woman is Beautiful,

Bitches love when one call them beautiful
·source meme·

skulls138
11-19-2015, 03:03 PM

The usage of that word on this forum is really the biggest reason why I do not interact here often. I'm sure it's caused a huge decrease in traffic to this site.That and "tbh". I just want to mow motherfuckers down when I see it but thats why they do it, to annoy, so dont want to give them the satisfaction.

lefty
11-19-2015, 03:27 PM
lol feggit

freemeat
11-19-2015, 03:30 PM
Are you gay freemeat?

What does my sexuality have to do with this topic? Do my sex, gender, race, color, religion, or anything else about me have any determination as to whether or not you calling someone a "faggot" is offensive?

I'm brown, I'm black, I'm gay, I'm straight, I'm Jewish, I'm Christian, whatever. Continue to use that and any other derogatory term all you want. It will continue to be offensive because it offends people. You cannot change that no matter how much you argue against it.

The only thing you need to know the answer to is whether or not you want to be a person who willingly says things to offend people who have harmed you in no way. That's always going to be your decision and you have the right to make whatever choice you want. Do you want to be that guy?

Leonardpart6
11-19-2015, 03:34 PM
San Antone, not just for fat people anymore. Come to the Alamo, stroll through the river walk, listen to bigoted morons say stupid shit. Whoopie!

Killakobe81
11-19-2015, 03:39 PM
What does my sexuality have to do with this topic? Do my sex, gender, race, color, religion, or anything else about me have any determination as to whether or not you calling someone a "faggot" is offensive?

I'm brown, I'm black, I'm gay, I'm straight, I'm Jewish, I'm Christian, whatever. Continue to use that and any other derogatory term all you want. It will continue to be offensive because it offends people. You cannot change that no matter how much you argue against it.

The only thing you need to know the answer to is whether or not you want to be a person who willingly says things to offend people who have harmed you in no way. That's always going to be your decision and you have the right to make whatever choice you want. Do you want to be that guy?

Freemeat you bring up some great points. But this hive of scum and villainy is the wrong place to care about your fellow man. Your points were valid, reasoning solid but you are basically pitching higher taxes to support welfare at the Republic Convention here. if your play was to speak your voice your truth just to take a stand it's admirable if a bit naive.If you were hoping to spark change here that fight has already been lost, brother.
dont get me wrong there are kind and decent folk that post here...but those posters already agree with you. The ones that posted replies would rather get "forum cred" than reflect on the power and insensitivity of their words.

A for effort, fa$$*t ...
Kidding.
Much respect.

Vokun
11-19-2015, 03:46 PM
People are so godamn sensitive these days it's not even funny. If it's not this word, it's another word. And who really uses "faggot" when talking about gay people? I use it when somebody is being ignorant or annoying. "Stop being a faggot". Why do people get so worked up over words? There's just fucking words, grow a backbone and stop getting offended over everything.

Sean Cagney
11-19-2015, 03:53 PM
People are so godamn sensitive these days it's not even funny.

This about sums it all up here.

Cry Havoc
11-19-2015, 04:01 PM
People are so godamn sensitive these days it's not even funny. If it's not this word, it's another word. And who really uses "faggot" when talking about gay people? I use it when somebody is being ignorant or annoying. "Stop being a faggot". Why do people get so worked up over words? There's just fucking words, grow a backbone and stop getting offended over everything.

Because words have power? The Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution of the United States are just words, right? So we should just burn them, since they're nothing to get worked up over, right?

Think about the fact that you only have your experience to draw from. You've never experienced the life of another person -- what right do you have to tell them whether or not their experience is one that should be affected by such language? Do you think it's acceptable that you can walk up to someone you've never met and attack his/her person for no other reason than the fact that he's different from you?

The only choice you have is whether or not you can be personally offended. You don't get to choose what's offensive for the hundreds of millions of black people who have ancestors bound by chains, and who's descendants still face racism and prejudice on a DAILY basis. That is their reality, you have not experienced it, so you cannot pretend to know how deep the words cut.

Fact is, "just words" are the only reason you have the ability to share your opinion on this message board. "Just words" is what keeps you from getting locked up when you say something bad about our government, even if it's a legitimate complaint.

Leonardpart6
11-19-2015, 04:01 PM
People are sensitive because society treats them like shit for simply being who they are. When you spend your childhood getting beat up and bullied for liking show tunes and having a swish in your step, it is hard not to view the battle cry screamed by your attackers as a derogatory term.

NASpurs
11-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Someone post the Louis C. K. faggot routine

SnakeBoy
11-19-2015, 04:30 PM

So you don't post much because some people use the word faggot but the one thread that gets you to post is a discussion of the word faggot....makes sense.

lilbthebasedgod
11-19-2015, 04:32 PM
This is the spurs section

Killakobe81
11-19-2015, 04:32 PM
Because words have power? The Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution of the United States are just words, right? So we should just burn them, since they're nothing to get worked up over, right?

Think about the fact that you only have your experience to draw from. You've never experienced the life of another person -- what right do you have to tell them whether or not their experience is one that should be affected by such language? Do you think it's acceptable that you can walk up to someone you've never met and attack his/her person for no other reason than the fact that he's different from you?

The only choice you have is whether or not you can be personally offended. You don't get to choose what's offensive for the hundreds of millions of black people who have ancestors bound by chains, and who's descendants still face racism and prejudice on a DAILY basis. That is their reality, you have not experienced it, so you cannot pretend to know how deep the words cut.

Fact is, "just words" are the only reason you have the ability to share your opinion on this message board. "Just words" is what keeps you from getting locked up when you say something bad about our government, even if it's a legitimate complaint.

Well said

benefactor
11-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Someone post the Louis C. K. faggot routine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcja4WFFzDw

Can't believe this thread made it this far without it tbh

Yuixafun
11-19-2015, 04:46 PM
If you are calling a man who is homosexual "gay," then you are stating a fact and labeling him as something that he would label himself. You are safe. No foul!

When you are calling a heterosexual man "gay," it is usually in the context of something meant as an insult. Example: you're talking with your heterosexual friend and he says he likes the movie 'The Devil Wears Prada,' so you call him "gay." He's not gay, because he is heterosexual, but you call him that as a sort of derogatory statement. Now, you're talking to your friend, so you're probably safe. He knows you're fucking with him, and you're judgingly teasing him in a manner in which you will both find amusing.

Now, what would you call your heterosexual friend in the context of that conversation if you had a homosexual friend, a gay man, also involved? Would you call the heterosexual friend "gay" as a way to mock him? You don't think that it would offend the friend who is homosexual?

In regards to your experiences with black men calling each other the "n word," there is a reason that is acceptable for them but not for you. If you are not black and you call a black man a "******," you are conjuring up a long, dark, nasty history of racism, murder, abuse, rape, slavery, and general degradation perpetuated on a group of people based on the color of their skin. When a black man calls another black man "******," it conjurs up a history that may involve nothing more than the relationship between the two men, or the relationships between men who are grouped by their society because of the color of their skin. No black man ever strung another black man up by his neck because he was black, or because he was a "******." Got it?

This works the same way for races, genders, and religions of all kinds. Every person in a sort of "categorized" group has some sort of derogatory term used to label them. In many cases, the members of those group will use the term for each other. It is usually endearing in that context. Sometimes it's not.

If you are not black, you wouldn't walk into a group of black men and call any of them "******," because you know they will be offended by it. You may or may not understand why, but it doesn't change the fact that it is offensive to them.

You may be correct in saying that people may be just too sensitive nowadays, but it doesn't change the fact that those people you're referring to are sensitive.

Not all gay men may think the term "faggot" is offensive, but some of them do. That's the way it is.

If it wasn't so offensive, why would members of this forum use it to insult each other? The answer is that they use it to insult each other because it is offensive.

So, "faggot' is offensive by your own admission. If you thought the person you directed the offense at was in fact gay, why wouldn't you just call him "gay"? The answer is because, in the context in which you use the offending word, you are not referring to your target's sexuality. You are using it as an insult. When you use a term as an insult, you are insulting.

You know that when you use the term, you are purposefully using it to be offensive. You cannot, in good conscience, then defend your use of the term as not offensive.

This is an excellent response. You broke down everything clearly, in the language of the common man.

But pigs will play in the mud despite your best efforts.

Darius McCrary
11-19-2015, 04:52 PM
Buncha GNSF have no idea about SequSpur's troll nature lol :lol

Bartleby
11-19-2015, 06:20 PM
This is an excellent response. You broke down everything clearly, in the language of the common man.

But pigs will play in the mud despite your best efforts.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - G.B. Shaw

Uriel
11-19-2015, 08:48 PM
http://s18.postimg.org/3m7vajl1l/Screen_Shot_2015_11_20_at_9_46_41_AM.png

Predictable. :wakeup

100%duncan
11-19-2015, 08:49 PM
A lot of sensitive pussies here. Can i use that word? Jeez

tbdog
11-19-2015, 10:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D891v5YiJU

SnakeBoy
11-19-2015, 11:30 PM
People are sensitive because society treats them like shit for simply being who they are. When you spend your childhood getting beat up and bullied for liking show tunes and having a swish in your step, it is hard not to view the battle cry screamed by your attackers as a derogatory term.

I'm sorry you got beat up and called faggot when you were growing up. Kids can be mean.

This one is for you...enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=4-L6rEm0rnY

8FOR!3
11-19-2015, 11:33 PM
PC bro?

Venti Quattro
11-19-2015, 11:44 PM
:lmao what a faggot

steeledl
11-19-2015, 11:48 PM
This is the last sanctuary of the internet that hasn't been overrun by SJWs whos religion is to get offended. Lets not change that now.

Venti Quattro
11-19-2015, 11:50 PM
This is the last sanctuary of the internet that hasn't been overrun by SJWs whos religion is to get offended. Lets not change that now.

Social justice warriors :lmao

steeledl
11-19-2015, 11:55 PM

The mentality of being overly sensitive and offended has gotten out of fucking control. People seem to look for reasons to be offended. I don't even talk about anything besides sports and small talk at work because Im afraid to offend someone.

Venti Quattro
11-20-2015, 12:00 AM
The mentality of being overly sensitive and offended has gotten out of fucking control. People seem to look for reasons to be offended. I don't even talk about anything besides sports and small talk at work because Im afraid to offend someone.

Thanks to the feminists, we now live in a world where anything can trigger anger

steeledl
11-20-2015, 12:02 AM
Thanks to the feminists, we now live in a world where anything can trigger anger

Glad someone feels my pain.

Clipper Nation
11-20-2015, 12:07 AM
OP is a FAGGOT FAGGOT FAGGOT FAGGOT FAGGOT

SequSpur
11-20-2015, 01:36 PM

ChumpDumper
11-20-2015, 01:40 PM
Why is it offensive?Call a cop one and find out.

dabom
11-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Call a cop one and find out.

Freedom of speech. Faggot. They got no case to arrest.

Beaverfuzz
11-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Nice thread faggot

ChumpDumper
11-20-2015, 01:44 PM
Freedom of speech. Faggot. They got no case to arrest.So call a cop one and find out.

Call your boss one.

Find the biggest, toughest looking biker you can and call him one.

Have a friend take a video of it and post it here.

dabom
11-20-2015, 01:45 PM
So call a cop one and find out.

Call your boss one.

Find the biggest, toughest biker and call him one.

I don't know what your point was. As you have none. Dumbass. :lmao

ChumpDumper
11-20-2015, 01:47 PM
I don't know what your point was. As you have none. Dumbass. :lmaoSo you're not going to call your boss one?

You're not going o call a cop one?

You're not going to call a big, tough looking biker one?

Why not?

dabom
11-20-2015, 01:49 PM
So you're not going to call your boss one?

Why not?

PC warriors that's why faggot. :lmao

ChumpDumper
11-20-2015, 01:50 PM
PC warriors that's why faggot. :lmaoSo you're afraid?

Why?

It's freedom of speech. You can say whatever you want.

You're saying bikers are PC warriors?

Brian Windhorst
11-20-2015, 01:53 PM
My gender identity is "Tony Parker"

Please stop making "porker" threads

It triggers me

dabom
11-20-2015, 01:56 PM
So you're afraid?

Why?

It's freedom of speech. You can say whatever you want.

You're saying bikers are PC warriors?

of·fen·sive
adjective

causing someone to feel deeply hurt, upset, or angry.
"the allegations made are deeply offensive to us"

synonyms:
insulting (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+insulting&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIHzAA), insolent (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+insolent&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIIDAA), derogatory (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+derogatory&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIITAA), disrespectful (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+disrespectful&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIIjAA), hurtful (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+hurtful&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIIzAA), wounding,abusive (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+abusive&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIJDAA); More

actively aggressive; attacking.
"offensive operations against the insurgents"

synonyms:
hostile (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+hostile&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIXzAA), attacking, aggressive (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+aggressive&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIYDAA), invading, incursive, combative (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+combative&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIYTAA),bel ligerent (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+belligerent&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIYjAA), on the attack"an offensive air strike"

The word faggot does not "deeply hurt" any. Although I wouldn't want to shout a profanity at my boss. That's why faggot. :lmao

UNT Eagles 2016
11-20-2015, 01:58 PM
So you're not going to call your boss one?

Why not?
I called a cop one when I was 9, tbh... got me and my mom kicked out of Fiesta Texas for that

ChumpDumper
11-20-2015, 01:58 PM
of·fen·sive
adjective

causing someone to feel deeply hurt, upset, or angry.
"the allegations made are deeply offensive to us"

synonyms:
insulting (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+insulting&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIHzAA), insolent (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+insolent&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIIDAA), derogatory (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+derogatory&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIITAA), disrespectful (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+disrespectful&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIIjAA), hurtful (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+hurtful&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIIzAA), wounding,abusive (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+abusive&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIJDAA); More

actively aggressive; attacking.
"offensive operations against the insurgents"

synonyms:
hostile (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+hostile&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIXzAA), attacking, aggressive (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+aggressive&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIYDAA), invading, incursive, combative (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+combative&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIYTAA),bel ligerent (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+belligerent&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Lem1p_JAhUGbT4KHRApADEQ_SoIYjAA), on the attack"an offensive air strike"

The word faggot does not "deeply hurt" any. Although I wouldn't want to shout a profanity at my boss. That's why faggot. :lmaoWhy not? It's free speech. You can say whatever you want.

Go call him one now.

dabom
11-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Why not? It's free speech. You can say whatever you want.

Go call him one now.

Freedom of speech is from the government faggot. I didn't know I needed to teach you this faggot. :lmao

ChumpDumper
11-20-2015, 02:01 PM
Freedom of speech is from the government faggot. I didn't know I needed to teach you this faggot. :lmaoSo how many cops have you called that name, tough guy?

So you don't have freedom of speech in private settings?

OK.

manu2timdynasty
11-20-2015, 02:02 PM

Get off your soap box loser, how long have you been waiting to go off on that pathetic little rant? Using fag on the internet sitting behind your computer is almost as queer as taking a dick up the butt. Online it's a lazy insult used by inarticulate fools.
http://s12.postimg.org/l30cq8app/IMG_20151120_125158.jpg

Blizzardwizard
11-20-2015, 02:59 PM
It is a very dweebish sounding insult, and by that I mean something you expect to hear from a spotty 13 year old that just picked up a dictionary to find loads of swear words. Surprised a lot of people haven't moved on to more adult curse words honestly. Rarely see any MF or C bombs dropped around here.

dbestpro
11-20-2015, 05:23 PM
Most words have an opposite meaning, and as a result are offensive, which is why so many are defensive.

HarlemHeat37
11-20-2015, 05:37 PM
I don't use the word anymore, it has been years, but it doesn't bother me when somebody else uses it, tbh..

Actions are far worse than words, tbh..as a Black man, I find it pretty ridiculous when people are outraged over words like they were with Donald Sterling, etc, considering that isn't even real, hurtful racism:lol..although it is funny how angry White people get when somebody tells them they can't say niggr..

Laughing Gravy
11-20-2015, 05:41 PM
Faggot--one who is offended by the word faggot.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-20-2015, 05:48 PM

gamergate crusader wannabe :lmao

manu2timdynasty
11-20-2015, 05:48 PM
Faggot--one who is offended by the word faggot.

Laughing Gravy- one who could not think of a better screen name.

Laughing Gravy
11-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Laughing Gravy- one who could not think of a better screen name.
So the thread is about screen names....or does my definition offend you now? Just an observation sweetie, dont get your panties in a bunch.

Bartleby
11-20-2015, 06:18 PM
It is a very dweebish sounding insult, and by that I mean something you expect to hear from a spotty 13 year old that just picked up a dictionary to find loads of swear words. Surprised a lot of people haven't moved on to more adult curse words honestly. Rarely see any MF or C bombs dropped around here.

This.

It's like ST has been overrun by a horde of 6th graders.

manu2timdynasty
11-20-2015, 06:36 PM
So the thread is about screen names....or does my definition offend you now? Just an observation sweetie, dont get your panties in a bunch.

Sweetie? Lol, it's not the word that offends me, it's the context it's being used in. Online on a message board it just looks ignorant and cowardly.

GSH
11-20-2015, 06:50 PM

You are 100% correct. The part you don't get is that it doesn't make one fucking bit of difference. Somewhere along the way, people started believing that other people have to quit doing things that offend them. They don't.

If YOU had to quit doing or saying anything that offends ME, you'd never be heard from again. But people like you don't think the rules apply both ways.

For decades, people complained about seeing things on television that they found offensive. And the answer was always the same: "If you don't like what you see... change the channel, or turn your TV off." But you can't have it both ways. If that's the rule, you have to live by it, too. So if someone is using a word you don't like, ignore it or turn your computer off. Who the fuck told you that your pathetic little life was going to be free from anything that you don't like?

Bender
11-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Who the fuck told you that your pathetic little life was going to be free from anything that you don't like?
:tu

I don't use it, but I don't find it offensive.

sticks and stones blah blah

bunch of crybabies in modern times

rasuo214
11-20-2015, 07:06 PM
You are 100% correct. The part you don't get is that it doesn't make one fucking bit of difference. Somewhere along the way, people started believing that other people have to quit doing things that offend them. They don't.

If YOU had to quit doing or saying anything that offends ME, you'd never be heard from again. But people like you don't think the rules apply both ways.

For decades, people complained about seeing things on television that they found offensive. And the answer was always the same: "If you don't like what you see... change the channel, or turn your TV off." But you can't have it both ways. If that's the rule, you have to live by it, too. So if someone is using a word you don't like, ignore it or turn your computer off. Who the fuck told you that your pathetic little life was going to be free from anything that you don't like?

^This^

Hoops Czar
11-20-2015, 07:08 PM
I don't use the word anymore, it has been years, but it doesn't bother me when somebody else uses it, tbh..

Actions are far worse than words, tbh..as a Black man, I find it pretty ridiculous when people are outraged over words like they were with Donald Sterling, etc, considering that isn't even real, hurtful racism:lol..although it is funny how angry White people get when somebody tells them they can't say niggr..

Context is everything. Used so haphazardly within these forum walls, you're desensitized to the word and not a real life faggot. Had you been gay in real life though, I'm pretty sure that word would take on a whole different meaning. Just try telling a gay walking down the street to man up after being called a faggot and see what kind of reaction you get.

lilbthebasedgod
11-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Since this off-topic stuff isn't going away might as well comment.

"taking power out of words" is always cheap. It takes a LOT longer than people think. Just saying a word casually doesn't take away its history and context.

But like, at the same time its part of internet vernacular. In context, I do think it has lost some of its power because of people's usage on the internet. This is not true for most cases where people use this justification or in real life.its a bit o

I'm not a fan of using it, but I do think this is a bit of an overreaction.

freemeat
11-21-2015, 08:19 PM

There's a big difference between doing things that offend other people and directing slurs at someone. There's a huge difference. If a person disagrees or is offended by the way I live my life, because of their religion, personal beliefs or whatever, that's on them. But if I turn around and make a bigoted remark toward that person, that's me being an asshole. When you call someone a "faggot" you are being a complete asshole. End of story.

DJR210
11-21-2015, 08:47 PM

It was all over Sportscenter for like a week straight when Sam got drafted

skulls138
11-22-2015, 01:11 PM

For decades, people complained about seeing things on television that they found offensive. And the answer was always the same: "If you don't like what you see... change the channel, or turn your TV off." But you can't have it both ways. If that's the rule, you have to live by it, too. So if someone is using a word you don't like, ignore it or turn your computer off. Who the fuck told you that your pathetic little life was going to be free from anything that you don't like?Yeah but for all of the pieces of shit that use the term just know you hijack a place where a person can talk about the Spurs with your ugliness. So yeah I can turn off the computer but then cant talk about Spurs, thanks. I dont want to limit free speech I just wish your mothers would have flushed the toilet when she shit you out.

SequSpur
11-23-2015, 09:01 AM

That's stupid.

cariocaz
11-23-2015, 09:19 AM
This is a great site to find information about the SPURS, but the language here is pathetic. Perhaps some day a few will start thinking before "talking".

Xevious
11-23-2015, 09:31 AM
Thought I stumbled into the tech forum and saw another Fallout thread tbh.

SequSpur
11-23-2015, 09:32 AM
So call a cop one and find out.

Call your boss one.

Find the biggest, toughest looking biker you can and call him one.

Great Point.

couchman
11-23-2015, 09:33 AM
I read a lot but never post here, in large part because the language is incredibly offensive on a regular basis.
So many posters seem to just spew foul language instead of offering real basketball talk.
It surprises me that the board owners/moderators allow that kind of language to pollute an otherwise great board.

Pocho La Pantera
11-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Isn't that the whole point? Be offensive?

DPG21920
11-23-2015, 12:25 PM
That's stupid.

It is kind of dumb. On one hand - there's a certain point he's making, but it's very specific. I think he's being way to broad though. I agree with things like not going to a certain movie or concert if that particular thing offends you. But what he's saying is the equivalent of if you are in the theater and someone in the crowd is yelling and being rude that your option is to leave.

No.

You don't have the right to infringe on other people. Why should I have to leave a message board or any place because you are offensive? That's why there are rules/laws. You observe them. If you talk in the theater and annoy people, we don't get up and leave. You get kicked out.

freemeat
11-23-2015, 01:18 PM
It is kind of dumb. On one hand - there's a certain point he's making, but it's very specific. I think he's being way to broad though. I agree with things like not going to a certain movie or concert if that particular thing offends you. But what he's saying is the equivalent of if you are in the theater and someone in the crowd is yelling and being rude that your option is to leave.

No.

You don't have the right to infringe on other people. Why should I have to leave a message board or any place because you are offensive? That's why there are rules/laws. You observe them. If you talk in the theater and annoy people, we don't get up and leave. You get kicked out.

Nailed it.

Cry Havoc
11-23-2015, 01:44 PM
This is a great site to find information about the SPURS, but the language here is pathetic. Perhaps some day a few will start thinking before "talking".

Nah. It's too cool to be "edgy" on this forum, and people think that means posturing and putting their letterman jacket on from high school, because that's the coolest they've ever been.

dabom
11-23-2015, 03:36 PM
You aren't causing anyone to lose monetary dollars. You ain't paying to post. Weak analogy with the theater.

dabom
11-23-2015, 03:37 PM
You can choose to ignore people with an easy function here so stfu ya. Lol

shazork
11-23-2015, 04:00 PM
GSH, dabom et al...The part YOU don't get is that no one has said you HAVE TO quit saying things that offend other people. You're free to be as insulting and demeaning as you want. But why would you want to be? Is it really that hard NOT to use a word? I mean what the fuck? It's one word.

I promise you I can take it. I'm not gonna crumble because you call me faggot. I'm just telling you it IS offensive. And if you don't give a shit then that's your choice...you're free to act like a douchebag, just don't be surprised when people call you out for being a douchebag.

Budkin
11-23-2015, 04:46 PM
It was every bully's go-to insult back in the 80's when I was in middle school. So there's that.

DPG21920
11-23-2015, 05:38 PM
You aren't causing anyone to lose monetary dollars. You ain't paying to post. Weak analogy with the theater.

What? Telling people to leave, in any setting, because you are offensive is stupid. Has nothing to do with money. Everything to do with common courtesy and being a decent human.

If this board was called "Talk Basketball while calling people f*ggots.com" then that's on us for coming here. But it's not. You're free to say what you want, but don't act surprised when you either get called out, banned or otherwise. You can say whatever you want, but that does not mean others should leave or that you are free from consequences.

But if your solution is go away, then your solution is wrong. I agree that using the block feature is a perfectly acceptable response.

I also agree that the site owners don't care or else they would clean it up so to a certain degree they have made their stance known and it's on us to act civil or yes, leave if we don't like the way the site is run. Does not make the overall point of telling people to go away if you are being a terrible person any more logical or correct.

DarrinS
11-23-2015, 05:52 PM
Maybe the mods can create a faggot-free "safe space" subforum for those triggered by the word "faggot"?

:lmao

DPG21920
11-23-2015, 06:00 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how dumb and devoid of logic some people are. There's a lot of good people in the world, but damn, there's a lot of people that have no self awareness.

Money316
11-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Queer thread for the straight guy.

Cry Havoc
11-23-2015, 10:49 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how dumb and devoid of logic some people are. There's a lot of good people in the world, but damn, there's a lot of people that have no self awareness.

dabom
11-23-2015, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=DarrinS;8284801]Maybe the mods can create a faggot

TDfan2007
11-23-2015, 11:08 PM
Most of the people here who use "faggot" would not ever say it in public, but they do so here while hiding under semi-anonymous identities.

And for the people whining about PC culture, I've noticed that most people who bitch about such things have never been discriminated against or hated for simply being.

Having said all of that, just use the ignore button if it bugs you that much. The shitty and/or ignorant people who use the word won't stop using it here just because it's offensive.

This forum is one of the last places where such people can let their inner bigot/racist out. Better this crap than another black church shooting or something, tbh.

SequSpur
11-24-2015, 01:02 AM
Most of the people here who use "faggot" would not ever say it in public, but they do so here while hiding under semi-anonymous identities.

And for the people whining about PC culture, I've noticed that most people who bitch about such things have never been discriminated against or hated for simply being.

Having said all of that, just use the ignore button if it bugs you that much. The shitty and/or ignorant people who use the word won't stop using it here just because it's offensive.

This forum is one of the last places where such people can let their inner bigot/racist out. Better this crap than another black church shooting or something, tbh.

Dumb.

skulls138
11-24-2015, 02:27 AM
You aren't causing anyone to lose monetary dollars. You ain't paying to post. Weak analogy with the theater.But in the theatres you CAN kick them out so no loss of money. Here people can hijack decent peoples right to discuss the Spurs without ugly, ugly, oh so frickin ugly dialogue being spewed out constantly.