PDA

View Full Version : Warriors: Barkley: Warriors would get mauled in the 90's

RsxPiimp
11-20-2015, 04:32 PM
If the rules never changed (90's rules applied) do you think the Warriors could win a championship in that era?

Arcadian
11-20-2015, 04:34 PM
I think it's backwards...most 90s teams would get destroyed by the best teams of this decade.

baseline bum
11-20-2015, 04:37 PM
The thought of Barkley trying to guard these Warriors. :lol

RsxPiimp
11-20-2015, 04:43 PM
95 Houston y'all?

How about Harlem's favorite? 90's Knicks :lol

HarlemHeat37
11-20-2015, 04:44 PM
My opinion on 90s basketball is already known here, of course..ugly, disgusting basketball that doesn't hold up when you try to watch it today..if you removed Jordan from the era, the perception would be completely different..

White people loved it because of Jordan, the Utah Jazz and because they loved watching Black players hurt each other..a lot of no-skill goons that were only on the court to commit hard fouls and play physically, which isn't real basketball(like Charles Okerley, for example)..

However, let's ignore all that for a second..I find it interesting how salty and bitter virtually all 90s players are when discussing the subsequent eras of basketball:lol..rather than encouragement and attempting to give unbiased takes, their immediate reaction is virtually always to get defensive and bitter..Barkley, Reggie Miller, Dad Killer, Chris Webber, Shaq, Karl Malone etc..the only star players that don't behave the same way are Robinson and Olajuwon IIRC..

lefty
11-20-2015, 04:48 PM
White people loved it because they loved watching Black players hurt each other...
:lol

Cry Havoc
11-20-2015, 05:08 PM
My opinion on 90s basketball is already known here, of course..ugly, disgusting basketball that doesn't hold up when you try to watch it today..if you removed Jordan from the era, the perception would be completely different..

White people loved it because of Jordan, the Utah Jazz and because they loved watching Black players hurt each other..a lot of no-skill goons that were only on the court to commit hard fouls and play physically, which isn't real basketball(like Charles Okerley, for example)..

However, let's ignore all that for a second..I find it interesting how salty and bitter virtually all 90s players are when discussing the subsequent eras of basketball:lol..rather than encouragement and attempting to give unbiased takes, their immediate reaction is virtually always to get defensive and bitter..Barkley, Reggie Miller, Dad Killer, Chris Webber, Shaq, Karl Malone etc..the only star players that don't behave the same way are Robinson and Olajuwon IIRC..

What are your thoughts on the 80s? I think the 90s got pretty ugly because teams started playing more consistent defense, and a lot of offenses couldn't handle the hand checks and so forth.

Cry Havoc
11-20-2015, 05:09 PM
Either way, this Warriors team would absolutely dismantle everyone except the Bulls from that era. They would be far more dominant than they are now.

DMC
11-20-2015, 05:11 PM
One caveat: Someone would open Curry's face up with an elbow. That would be that.

tonight...you
11-20-2015, 05:42 PM
One caveat: Someone would open Curry's face up with an elbow. That would be that.
True. A 90's team would apply Jordan Rules to almost the whole team and turn the game into mud wrestling.
Without the chicks.

~O~
11-20-2015, 06:30 PM
The 90's did not have the elaborate plays and strategy that teams run now. Most of all, the field goal percentage at which players shoot threes today is not of the past. Players are much more conditioned and agile through various innovations in fitness and building.

The opposite is true. Most 2000 teams would shit on 90's team. Can you fathom what innovations weren't made compare to what they are now. Especially in performance enhancement?

Its illogical to not consider these factors.

Clipper Nation
11-20-2015, 06:30 PM
:lmao '90s basketball

Molotov
11-20-2015, 07:52 PM

Co sign

Tuddy
11-21-2015, 06:38 AM
Warriors Spurs 2013 Heat would hammer the 96 bulls

SpursDynasty
11-21-2015, 01:27 PM
The Warriors are not impressive. They haven't had any real tests against a team. They are just the same as the 2004-2007 Suns and Mavericks.

ambchang
11-22-2015, 11:46 AM
People act like passing wasn't invented until the last four years, when the principle of the Princeton offense has been around since the 30s.

Sure, players can shoot better in today's game because of the emphasis on it and the fact that players started that training since they were in pre school, but there have always been outside shooters in the nba. There are just more of the in today's game.

The Warriors Suns and sonics were running a motion and outside heavy offense in the late 80s early 90s. Chris mullin was shooting .36 to .45 from three. The Warriors consistently had 4 or 5 guys who shoots over .36 from three, including bigs. Ditto Suns and the sonics. But due to rules that favour inside scoring, those teams were good, but not good enough to win it all.

The nuggets were even more so in terms of going crazy on offense. Just that they weren't all that good.

namlook
11-22-2015, 05:13 PM
So says the Hall of Famer without a ring..... :lol

Kawhitstorm
11-22-2015, 06:04 PM

I suggest you watch the 90s Magic w/ Shaq: Penny/Anderson/Scott/Grant/Shaq along w/ B.Shaw as the 6th man. That might have been the first team to bomb away from 3. As pretty as that team was, they got swept by the Rockets b/c they couldn't stop Hakeem but I'm pretty sure Shaq alone would win one game against the Warriors. The 90s Suns w/ Barkley were also an elite offensive team & Barkley was the ultimate small-ball killer (As bad a post defender as he was, he was very mobile & could stick w/ someone like Draymond). The Suns w/ a healthy Kevin Johnson (he was playing w/ a groin injury in 93) would have given the Warriors a run for their money as Barkley would maul Draymond & the Suns weakness was their lack of rim protectors but the Warriors are a jump shooting team. Hakeem would probably be the ultimate trump card against the Warriors small-ball line up though but Kenny Smith would have been lit up like a Christmas light by Curry:lol. Defensively, the 90s Sonics w/ Payton/Kemp against the Curry/Draymond PnR would probably be the best tandem but the Sonics didn't have enough offensive power.

The RUN TMC teams coached by Nelly were the original small-ball team but they didn't have an inside presence that would expose the current Warriors. Nelly tried playing rookie C-Webb at center but Barkley mauled their stretch 4:lol.

I would have loved to see what Chris Jackson could have done in today's NBA dude was the Steph Curry of the NCAA but he was ahead of his time & coaches didn't believe in scoring point guards. Steve Nash became a completely different player when he played in an offensive system that catered to him.

Kawhitstorm
11-22-2015, 06:21 PM
What are your thoughts on the 80s? I think the 90s got pretty ugly because teams started playing more consistent defense, and a lot of offenses couldn't handle the hand checks and so forth.

In the 80s there wasn't parity in the NBA, the Celtics, Sixers, Pistons had multiple All-Stars (the Bucks were kind of like the 2012-14 Pacers) & the Western Conference was essentially like what the East was during the Heatles era as the Lakers caked walked into the finals year after year. With that said, those 4 squads are an all-time top 10 team & the 80s Celtics/Sixers would have absolutely mauled the Warriors frontline: Moses Malone, Dr. J, McHale, Parish, Bird. The Pistons would have played ping pong w/ Curry but their frontline was offensively challenged to do damage against the Warriors frontline:lol.

The 80s Lakers weren't a great defensive team so it would have been a shootout.

HarlemHeat37
11-22-2015, 06:32 PM
I suggest you watch the 90s Magic w/ Shaq: Penny/Anderson/Scott/Grant/Shaq along w/ B.Shaw as the 6th man. That might have been the first team to bomb away from 3. As pretty as that team was, they got swept by the Rockets b/c they couldn't stop Hakeem but I'm pretty sure Shaq alone would win one game against the Warriors. The 90s Suns w/ Barkley were also an elite offensive team & Barkley was the ultimate small-ball killer (As bad a post defender as he was, he was very mobile & could stick w/ someone like Draymond). The Suns w/ a healthy Kevin Johnson (he was playing w/ a groin injury in 93) would have given the Warriors a run for their money as Barkley would maul Draymond & the Suns weakness was their lack of rim protectors but the Warriors are a jump shooting team. Hakeem would probably be the ultimate trump card against the Warriors small-ball line up though but Kenny Smith would have been lit up like a Christmas light by Curry:lol. Defensively, the 90s Sonics w/ Payton/Kemp against the Curry/Draymond PnR would probably be the best tandem but the Sonics didn't have enough offensive power.

The RUN TMC teams coached by Nelly were the original small-ball team but they didn't have an inside presence that would expose the current Warriors. Nelly tried playing rookie C-Webb at center but Barkley mauled their stretch 4:lol.

I would have loved to see what Chris Jackson could have done in today's NBA dude was the Steph Curry of the NCAA but he was ahead of his time & coaches didn't believe in scoring point guards. Steve Nash became a completely different player when he played in an offensive system that catered to him.

:lol I wasn't comparing the quality of players..

I'm trolling when I take shots at the ability of 90s players, 90s fans are extremely sensitive and defensive about their era:lol..

Just speaking from an aesthetic POV..I hate 90s ball, I hate most of the players, and I find it to be hideous to watch:lol..I acknowledge that Dad Killer is the GOAT, etc, but I find it nauseating to watch..same with the early 2000s Spurs, even though I loved those teams..

Kawhitstorm
11-22-2015, 06:33 PM
1999-00
• In the backcourt, there is no contact with hands and forearms by defenders. In the frontcourt, there is no contact with hands and forearms by defenders except below the free throw line extended in which case the defender may only use his forearm. In the post, neither the offensive player nor the defender is allowed to dislodge or displace a player who has legally obtained a position. Defender may not use his forearm, shoulder, hip or hand to reroute or hold-up an offensive player going from point A to point B or one who is attempting to come around a legal screen set by another offensive player. Slowing or impeding the progress of the screener by grabbing, clutching, holding “chucking” or “wrapping up” is prohibited.
• The official(s) will visually commence a five-second count if an offensive player with the ball and not facing-up starts dribbling below the free throw line extended while being closely guarded; or if he starts dribbling outside and then penetrates below the free throw line extended while being closely guarded. The five-second count commences when the offensive player penetrates the free throw line extended. The penalty is the offensive team’s loss of possession of the ball.
• Any defense is legal on the strong side. Defenders must remain on the weak side outside the paint unless they are double-teaming the ball, picking up a free cutter or closely guarding an offensive player.

2001-02
• Illegal defense guidelines will be eliminated in their entirety.
• A new defensive three-second rule will prohibit a defensive player from remaining in the lane for more than three consecutive seconds without closely guarding an offensive player.
• The time that a team has to advance the ball past midcourt will be reduced from ten seconds to eight.
• Brief contact initiated by a defensive player will be allowed if it does not impede the progress of the player with the ball.

2004-05
• New rules were introduced to curtail hand-checking, clarify blocking fouls and call defensive three seconds to open up the game.

HarlemHeat37
11-22-2015, 06:40 PM
I also agree with Pat Riley that you can't compare teams in different eras in head-to-head matchups, since teams are built to play the style/match the competition of their own era and rules of basketball..

Kawhitstorm
11-22-2015, 06:52 PM

I used to like watching the Eastern Conference rivalry games just b/c of the emotions:lol (especially in the postseason):
-Knicks/Pacers (It was actually enjoyable to watch when the Knicks had Allan Houston/Larry Johnson & eventually Sprewell)
-Knicks/Heat (Absolute goonary:lol: Both teams actually had skill players it was the JVG/Riley grudge match that turned it into a slug-fest)

The Western conference was unwatchable b/c I absolutely hated the Jazz but the Sonics were fun to watch w/ GP/Kemp. The Lakers w/ Van Exel/Eddie Jones/Shaq were also a young fun team w/ Kirby shooting air balls in the playoffs:lol. I didn't bother rooting against Cheese-Eyes & just enjoyed the show:lol, I actually liked Pippen always felt like he was under-appreciated like Manu.

In any case NBA on NBC >>>>>>>>>>>> NBA on ESPN/ABC

Kawhitstorm
11-22-2015, 06:55 PM
I also agree with Pat Riley that you can't compare teams in different eras in head-to-head matchups, since teams are built to play the style/match the competition of their own era and rules of basketball..

Riley had to plea cop b/c the 80s Lakers caked walked into the Finals, same w/ the Heatles.:lol